Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali (43951 Views)

Nigerians Replied Senator Dino Melaye After Announcing His Arrest On Twitter / Photos Of Hameed Ali Answering Questions In The Senate Today / Senators Hold Close Door Meeting With Customs Boss Hameed Ali. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by Splashme: 7:06pm On Mar 15, 2017
saintikechi:
the man should be arrested and forced to put on prison uniform.
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by potent5(m): 7:07pm On Mar 15, 2017
That's how they've been running this country aground with their ego. Just put on the uniform of your organization ina. After they'll say corruption is our only problem. What about people treating public offices as though it's their personal business.
You think the Senate is a mere rubber stamp used for clearing and confirming abi?
Don't worry; one day you will realize that the Senate is even stronger than the Executive if only they knew what they are doing.

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by omokab: 7:07pm On Mar 15, 2017
The Nigeria senate is just trying to show their power. Likewise I am not supporting Alli not to wear a uniform but truth must be told, there is nothing to show for wearing a uniform or not. Does that mean that by wearing a uniform will give a sense or make him to be reasonable enough to become a custom boss? I checked on the Internet how a military or paramilitary appear at the USA senate. I was fortunate to get the first military gay confirm as the military secretary in USA wearing a suit. I showed it to one of my friend and he was so disappointed of what our senate is doing. But the custom man can wear it for peace to reign.
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by Adiola(f): 7:12pm On Mar 15, 2017
idris4r83:
I love this guy military nature. To he'll with the senate as far as he is doing his work rightly. If Senate no like am make buhari substitute am with ibrahim magu. Hamid ali will function better as efcc boss.
and who ll confirm him

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by godwinelijah(m): 7:31pm On Mar 15, 2017
Uniform wia ppl d kill demselves to wear na it one person say lie lie him no go wear. Hmmm, na wao!

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by earthcrust: 7:40pm On Mar 15, 2017
Ali shld be trashed 24 strokes of cane on d left yansh

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by IgweBUIKE1(m): 7:49pm On Mar 15, 2017
idris4r83:
learn to construct a simple English before commenting on a public forum. What has religion gots to do with what I wrote? U r d typical religion bigot by bringing religion into this. It's a pity, u that knows your right from your left can construct a simple English. Ewu
l auto correct boy... in fela voice... zombie o zombie
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by MasterJayJay: 7:55pm On Mar 15, 2017
Sebastine1994:

Please, check your email. Thanks
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by snakebeat: 8:00pm On Mar 15, 2017
Gaborone:
Can they do that?

undecided
u still dey ask undecided
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by idris4r83(m): 8:24pm On Mar 15, 2017
IgweBUIKE1:
l auto correct boy... in fela voice... zombie o zombie
before I quote people on NL I tend to look at their old posts to see if they are cerebral enough but unfortunately this time wasting my time on a religious racist who can't construct a simple English sentence. Its obvious u just got a new phone with auto correct facility. Grow up
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by galadima77(m): 8:30pm On Mar 15, 2017
So he can't wear customs uniform but he's collecting their salary and sewing kaftan in customs uniform color with customs money and looking fresh everyday.
Even enjoys their convoy

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by obstead200(m): 8:58pm On Mar 15, 2017
idris4r83:
I love this guy military nature. To he'll with the senate as far as he is doing his work rightly. If Senate no like am make buhari substitute am with ibrahim magu. Hamid ali will function better as efcc boss.
I dey feel u bro. My sentiments exactly

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by freeze001(f): 9:11pm On Mar 15, 2017
anonimi:

You should learn about SEPARATION of powers in a democracy.
The senate is a law making body not an executive arm of government.
It cannot order the arrest of anyone.
There are other ways to deal with a recalcitrant agent of the executive.
If the SINators are serious they should use those other ways to LEGITIMATELY address their grievances with Col. Ali.
We should stop being easily excitable mumus.
#OurMumudonDo.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855404_fbimg1442168436118_jpeg3abf4555427b1803302e6b4f3ffbbb15

Actually, the Senate has powers to issue a warrant of arrest to compel the appearance of any person who refuses to honour the summons of the Senate without cause. That's part of its oversight powers.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by martinsrichie(m): 9:18pm On Mar 15, 2017
Bros Ali, swallow your ego and succumb to their proposal,,, Bahari can't help you out.

Power Pass Power

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by freeze001(f): 9:25pm On Mar 15, 2017
anonimi:

Grateful if you could provide the constitutional/legal basis of your assertion above.
Thanks.

Section 89 (1)(d) & (2) of the constitution empower the Senate to issue warrants of arrest. I've taken the liberty to reproduce it below and you may verify same.

cc: anonimi

(1) For the purposes of any investigation under section 88 of this Constitutional and subject to the provisions thereof, the Senate or the House of Representatives or a committee appointed in accordance with section 62 of this Constitution shall have power to -

(a) procure all such evidence, written or oral, direct or circumstantial, as it may think necessary or desirable, and examine all persons as witnesses whose evidence may be material or relevant to the subject matter;

(b) require such evidence to be given on oath;

(c) summon any person in Nigeria to give evidence at
any place or produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, and examine him as a witness and require him to produce any document or other thing in his possession or under his control, subject to all just exceptions; and

(d) issue a warrant to compel the attendance of any person who, after having been summoned to attend, fails, refuses or neglects to do so [/b]and does not excuse such failure, refusal or neglect to the satisfaction of the House or the committee in question, and order him to pay all costs which may have been occasioned in compelling his attendance or by reason of his failure, refusal or neglect to obey the summons, and also to impose such fine as may be prescribed for any such failure, refused or neglect; and any fine so imposed shall be recoverable in the same manner as a fine imposed by a court of law.

(2) [b]A summons or warrant issued under this section may be served or executed by any member of the Nigeria Police Force or by any person authorised in that behalf by the President of the Senate or the Speaker of the House of Representatives, as the case may require.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by tee83: 9:33pm On Mar 15, 2017
dallyemmy:
I hope the senators vehicles have custom duties

I will advice we should support senate on this because if this NCS law(import duties on existing vehicles finally implemented) masses will the one to suffer not powerful senators....but masses suffer most.

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by Nobody: 9:51pm On Mar 15, 2017
Oga minister go and ur call na
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by Eimc: 10:05pm On Mar 15, 2017
Its what you get when an employee feels he's bigger than the employer smh for naija

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by famology(m): 10:13pm On Mar 15, 2017
Na only neophyte go tk d warrant serious,wich police wan mk d arrest?empty ranting lolz...
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by cooljoe(m): 11:11pm On Mar 15, 2017
Gaborone:
Can they do that?

undecided
yes dear. by virtue of sections 88 nd 89 of d constitution. s88 gives em d power to summon u and should u refuse, dey can issue aa warrant 4 ur arrest by virtue of s.89(1)(d)

2 Likes

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by Ijscarface: 2:13am On Mar 16, 2017
This is a democracy. Ali should know that the legislature is an arm of govt.
Come to think of it. Is the NCS not being inconsiderate by the timing of this. Also can't they have a website where you can type in your VIN number and find out the status of your vehicle.

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by anonimi: 3:48am On Mar 16, 2017
freeze001:
Section 89 (1)(d) & (2) of the constitution empower the Senate to issue warrants of arrest. I've taken the liberty to reproduce it below and you may verify same.

Many thanks for the reply with constitutional extracts.
Great!

Cc: Onyeogalu1

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by anonimi: 3:58am On Mar 16, 2017
freeze001:
Actually, the Senate has powers to issue a warrant of arrest to compel the appearance of any person who refuses to honour the summons of the Senate without cause. That's part of its oversight powers.

Thanks a lot for the free education. cheesy
Greatly appreciated.
Kudos.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4360760_4312014cdatausersdefappsappdatainternetexplorertempsavedimages4292662imagejpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188jpeg00b027958622797cc98a911e63888381_jpeg87603829cdac696fc54d98de0a1bcae2

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by anonimi: 4:51am On Mar 16, 2017
martinsrichie:
Bros Ali, swallow your ego and succumb to their proposal,,, Bahari can't help you out.

Power Pass Power

The dullard cannot even help his MaguN head of EFCC to get ordinary confirmation. How can he help stubborn Ali, even if he is in the Aso Rock cabal
Truly, power pass power.
The ultimate sovereign power belongs to the people.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by anonimi: 4:56am On Mar 16, 2017
famology:
Na only neophyte go tk d warrant serious, wich police wan mk d arrest? empty ranting lolz...

And that makes you feel high and happy, right

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4992326_4891524screenshot20170219203617jpegc7892792109403c3dad901465f733b9a_jpegdd5622e3bdf3e409b174b8e386ee23ac

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by Trust77: 5:18am On Mar 16, 2017
Useless old man
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by onyxo76(m): 7:34am On Mar 16, 2017
dallyemmy:
I hope the senators vehicles have custom duties
they don't have o, not one of them.!
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by onyeogalu1(m): 10:02am On Mar 16, 2017
[quote author=anonimi post=54631568]
Many thanks for the reply with constitutional extracts. Great!

Cc: Onyeogalu1

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by Nobody: 4:13am On Mar 17, 2017
cooljoe:
yes dear. by virtue of sections 88 nd 89 of d constitution. s88 gives em d power to summon u and should u refuse, dey can issue aa warrant 4 ur arrest by virtue of s.89(1)(d)

Thanks a lot for answering my question, and in detail! smiley
Re: Senate Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Hameed Ali by cooljoe(m): 5:49pm On Mar 17, 2017
Gaborone:

Thanks a lot for answering my question, and in detail! smiley
your every inch welcum

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Controversy Over Position Of Tinubu's Youth Minister / Boko Haram Kills Nigerian Soldier, Akeem (Photos) / Senate Committee Recommends Suspension Of Ndume For 6 Months, Clears Melaye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.