Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,811 members, 7,824,375 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC (76487 Views)

The First Floating Farm In The World: Model For Riverine States In Nigeria- BBC / Trump Quotes A Nigerian Poem, Calls It Irish Proverb / Gambia Talks Fail As President Refuses To Step Down-bbc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Jayson1: 5:23pm On Mar 17, 2017
mmsen:

What is wrong with you?
Ask your dad and governor Ortorm that question Bro.
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Jayson1: 5:25pm On Mar 17, 2017
emeka2847:
Amen to that nice prayer.
But that you forgot to pray for Ibori''s stollen billions to remain safe abroad where he hid them.

Seems you know the secret place he hid them. undecided
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Jayson1: 5:27pm On Mar 17, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Do you even have a job?

Go on, praise them to high heavens. They embezzle funds meant for you and your unborn kids, I guess they deserve your praises.

Do you need a megaphone sir?
I thought i told you clearly to go argue with your ancestors?

Can you kindly furck off sir?

2 Likes

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Jayson1: 5:30pm On Mar 17, 2017
ladesson:

This comment really show that today's youth are totally brain watch!!! like hailling the thief that stolen your future
Wash not Watch.

Go back and study hard to show yourself worthy enough to quote me.

2 Likes

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Marotzke(m): 5:31pm On Mar 17, 2017
naptu2:

Nigerian proverb that was President Roosevelt's favourite proverb.
Walk gently, carry a big stick.
Theodore Roosevelt.

1 Like

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Jayson1: 5:33pm On Mar 17, 2017
Ijaya123:

Another reason why it is believed Nigerians future is in shambles with this comment from a youth.

So sad.
That's if you really know the meaning of "shambles"
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Lucasbalo(m): 5:39pm On Mar 17, 2017
ElsonMorali:

I just pity the youths of this generation.

Blessing and praying for their tormentors.
When people have been oppressed for so long, they fall in love with their oppressors and that's Classic Stockholm Syndrome.

3 Likes

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Jayson1: 5:39pm On Mar 17, 2017
wink
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by ElsonMorali: 5:39pm On Mar 17, 2017
Jayson1:
I thought i told you clearly to go argue with your ancestors?

Can you kindly furck off sir?

E pain am... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Jayson1: 5:41pm On Mar 17, 2017
ElsonMorali:

E pain am... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Lol, what a waste. grin

2 Likes

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by ElsonMorali: 5:41pm On Mar 17, 2017
Lucasbalo:
When people have been oppressed for so long, they fall in love with their oppressors and that's Classic Stockholm Syndrome.

Believe me bro. These people will go to any length to defend their masters.

1 Like

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Lucasbalo(m): 5:43pm On Mar 17, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Believe me bro. These people will go to any length to defend their masters.
It is a shame for the youths defending the greedy bastards that are mortgaging their future.

1 Like

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by ElsonMorali: 5:43pm On Mar 17, 2017
Jayson1:
Lol, what a waste. grin

You're the waste.

James Ibori the convicted felon is your role model.

I seriously shake my head for you.

You should apologize to the plants and trees around you that are working hard to produce the oxygen you're breathing walahi.

I wish I could delete you from my phone here. cheesy

Your degree of thoughtlessness is alarming.

1 Like

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by ElsonMorali: 5:45pm On Mar 17, 2017
Lucasbalo:
It is a shame for the youths defending the greedy bastards that are mortgaging their future.

Just look at the phool that is arguing with me up there and check out his signature.

You'll wonder If his brain doesn't need a panelbeating.
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Ijaya123: 5:46pm On Mar 17, 2017
Jayson1:
That's if you really know the meaning of "shambles"

And of what relevance is this question?
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by timmykaydude: 5:47pm On Mar 17, 2017
Jayson1:
How much did you contribute to the country?

Just STFU and die off.
e pain am

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by naptu2: 5:47pm On Mar 17, 2017
Marotzke:
Walk gently, carry a big stick.
Theodore Roosevelt.

IamaNigerianGuy:

Do you have any citation for this?
I am aware of Roosevelt's like for this proverb, but is it Nigerian?

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

I came across this proverb for the first time in the Britannica Encyclopedia in 1985. It was said to be a West African proverb that Theodore Roosevelt loved.

Then in 1989 or 1990, I read an article (I think it was in the Readers Digest, I'm not sure) that traced the origin of the proverb to an ethnic group in Nigeria. I can't remember the ethnic group at the moment.

I later read a similar article in a Nigerian newspaper in the early 1990s in which it was described as a Nigerian proverb.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Stick_ideology
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by gawu1: 5:51pm On Mar 17, 2017
JustinSlayer69:
Nna !!! angry angry angry

Shouldn't it be a Jew proverb?

Donald "Okechukwu" Trump you don become Osu as from today, we no support you again! angry
They stopped supporting him since the day he spoke with their greatest enemy. Have you ever hear since then things like ''trump would free our delictor''? Even ''Trump'' you don't hear from them these days
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Ishilove: 5:52pm On Mar 17, 2017
naptu2:

I came across this proverb for the first time in the Britannica Encyclopedia in 1985. It was said to be a West African proverb that Theodore Roosevelt loved.

Then in 1989 or 1990, I read an article (I think it was in the Readers Digest, I'm not sure) that traced the origin of the proverb to an ethnic group in Nigeria. I can't remember the ethnic group at the moment.

I later read a similar article in a Nigerian newspaper in the early 1990s in which it was described as a Nigerian proverb.

My daddy! Daddy oyoyo!! cheesy
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Lucasbalo(m): 5:52pm On Mar 17, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Just look at the phool that is arguing with me up there and check out his signature.

You'll wonder If his brain doesn't need a panelbeating.
Gbam.

1 Like

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Jayson1: 5:53pm On Mar 17, 2017
ElsonMorali:

You're the waste.

James Ibori the convicted felon is your role model.

I seriously shake my head for you.

You should apologize to the plants and trees around you that are working hard to produce the oxygen you're breathing walahi.

I wish I could delete you from my phone here. cheesy

Your degree of thoughtlessness is alarming.
Lol, all these blithering just because Ibori is my mentor? I can also see that you're being characterised by your weak emotions with an abnormally large empty head sitting on a rusty neck but just like the reprover that you claim to be, I'll ask you one simple question since your ancestors find you worthless,

Are you perfect?

2 Likes

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by smartty68(m): 5:53pm On Mar 17, 2017
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Nobody: 5:57pm On Mar 17, 2017
gawu1:

They stopped supporting him since the day he spoke with their greatest enemy. Have you ever hear since then things like ''trump would free our delictor''? Even ''Trump'' you don't hear from them these days

grin grin grin

It made me laugh when i saw the fake headlines in one of their local newspapers that he would visit for Emeka Offor's parent's burial
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 5:58pm On Mar 17, 2017
naptu2:

Thank you. I learned something new today -and on Nairaland!
Who would have thought? wink
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by ElsonMorali: 6:02pm On Mar 17, 2017
Jayson1:
Lol, all these blithering just because Ibori is my mentor? I can also see that you're being characterised by your weak emotions with an abnormally large empty head sitting on a rusty neck but just like the reprover that you claim to be, I'll ask you one simple question since your ancestors find you worthless,

Are you perfect?

Yeye. You may as well adopt Lucifer as your patron. You no kuku get sense.

Please, don't bother quoting me. I'm allergic to dunces and since your mentor went to jail for corruption, I pray you end up in jail too like your mentor, after all we all want to be like our mentor.
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by tydi(m): 6:05pm On Mar 17, 2017
ElsonMorali:

I just pity the youths of this generation.
Blessing and praying for their tormentors.
I pity for the black race.

1 Like

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by gawu1: 6:07pm On Mar 17, 2017
senier007:
Something reasonable coming out from the north?

Some people wish it was "someone from the rising sun" like always
You mean those Sadists? Just wait and see how they will re told stories of how Albashir is jew of their own clan, just to claim the proverb emanated from them.
Haters in most cases have no shame.
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by Jayson1: 6:12pm On Mar 17, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Yeye. You may as well adopt Lucifer as your patron. You no kuku get sense.

Please, don't bother quoting me. I'm allergic to dunces and since your mentor went to jail for corruption, I pray you end up in jail too like your mentor, after all we all want to be like our mentor.
Just like the legendary phool i took you as, you've proven to me that you're not just worth.less but you're also a biological mistake.

Why do you find it so difficult to answer the simple question? grin

2 Likes

Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by xcuggsm(m): 6:18pm On Mar 17, 2017
Lalasticlala's favourite proverb:
"He who wants to be a dragon must eat many little snakes"
(Chinese Proverb)
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by buffalowings: 6:29pm On Mar 17, 2017
tosyne2much:
My own favourite proverb is from Bubu

the other room proverb
Re: Trump's Favourite Proverb Is From Nigeria - BBC by tosyne2much(m): 6:30pm On Mar 17, 2017
buffalowings:

the other room proverb
My wife belongs to the other room cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Craig Robertson: Man Threatening To Assassinate Joe Biden, Shot Dead By FBI / Prince Charles Tests Positive To Coronavirus / America’s $200m “doomsday” Plane That Protects Vips In Event Of A Nuclear War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.