Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,853 members, 7,956,207 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:47 AM

No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD (9988 Views)

Unending Delay: Please What Is The Issue With Grimaldi Line / Man Calls Out Customs Officers For Seizing The Lexus Jeep He Bought (pics / Within 48 Hours, 43 Nigerians Win Bids For Vehicles Seized By Customs – Official (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by yomalex(m): 7:40am On Mar 20, 2017
Hmm
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by duni04(m): 7:40am On Mar 20, 2017
sultaan:

Especially when 80% of customs officers(70% from the north) decide to monitor just the western area of the country while no lo haram , Fulani horsemen move around unchecked.

The southwest has historically has a strong international trading commerce even before Nigeria was created now the northern run government has considered everything banned, why is textiles and livestock moving through northern borders not banned when they are produced in Nigeria why no duty on anything traded up north
This is the IPODIAN way of reasoning. "Touch not my criminal" or "My criminal is less dangerous then your criminal".
What is wrong is wrong! Whether smuggling or stealing government funds. Whether its perpetuated by Hausa's or Igbo's or Yoruba.
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by Pabloosas(m): 7:43am On Mar 20, 2017
Issorait
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by NaijaEfcc: 7:45am On Mar 20, 2017
CoolFreeday:
Nigerians can be funny, since its no longer business as usual everybody is now complaining.
SMH
yes ooh its true! New sheriff in town!! No longer business as usual, things are now harder!!! People are suffering, committing suicide upandan! angry zoneB!!!!!

1 Like

Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by gratiaeo(m): 7:50am On Mar 20, 2017
As long as northern costums dominate and control the port/ borders there ll never be a significant improvement. North loves status quo
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by gratiaeo(m): 7:55am On Mar 20, 2017
dokyOloye:
Customs is a massive nest of corruption n that's what I expected d new customs boss to tackle and not idiotic policies Like harrasingcar owners over duties for cars that might have finished depreciating.
3 ppl buy say a clean titled 2009 corrola wt d same engine capacity,etc.d 1st person pays 600k,d 2nd person 700k,while d 3rd might pay up to 900k.
What u pay depends on hw much bribe u give.
Was expecting d new customs boss to initiate policies like online publishing of custom duties and liberalise d payment so individuals can pay their duties themselves wtout going thru d fraudulent touts called agent but I guess abokki must be abokki.
Na to de chase car owners inside towns Na him be him d only thing he can think to initiate.
Lol you are wasting your time.
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by kingsley989(m): 7:58am On Mar 20, 2017
texazzpete:

Did you even read the article?
My brother you read my thoughts. I was just wondering if that dude read this at all.
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by joinnow: 8:30am On Mar 20, 2017
I observed some critical issues which is truly
85% of imported cars are Tokunbo so others 15 are new ones.
Custom need to review it import duty downwards
Even cotonuo has very simple import duty payment.
Benin Republic‘s Government charges a fixed import duty (500,000 CFA = 320,000 Naira) on all cars irrespective of its year or trim.

No transparency in Nigeria custom import duty payment.
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by GreatZaza(m): 8:43am On Mar 20, 2017
CoolFreeday:
Nigerians can be funny, since its no longer business as usual everybody is now complaining.
SMH
zombie you wont read and understand before typing
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by theMEGAman(m): 9:51am On Mar 20, 2017
CoolFreeday:
SMH
U must be illter*te/very local person from n*rthern village because I know they can't read even if they try to read they will never understand. Somebody is here telling you that Nigeria is loosing billions every month to the neighbouring countries mostly cotonuo ur smiling cos u don't know what the real Nigerians are passing through.
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by megareal: 11:51am On Mar 20, 2017
texazzpete:
What a brilliant summary of the issues by the Grimaldi boss.

You have a country that is not making vehicles locally in any amount sufficient to meet demand of even a local government...yet you jack up import duties for second hand cars, ensuring that

1) the vast majority of Nigerians cannot afford any vehicle made in the past 5 years.

2) an increasing amount of broken down, scrappy and salvaged vehicles are being imported.

3) people have to use old vehicles past their retirement date because cost to replace them is astronomical. These vehicles are usually pollutive, have poor fuel economy and are relatively unsafe.

For a Government to wake up and take such a spiteful, malicious decision to deliberate punish their citizenry...it beggars belief.

2019 can't come soon enough.

I tell you. Most times I wonder if this government has ever thought its policy through before implementing it.

Looks like there is no sane head in the current government.

1 Like

Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by mencer(m): 12:38pm On Mar 20, 2017
" I suspect that the old vehicles that were coming through the border will now be smuggled and nothing will be paid."
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by sultaan(m): 3:16pm On Mar 20, 2017
Grimaldi MD is only protecting his business.

The Government people want to protect lost chop money went after Benin customs to collect money for them on goods going to Nigeria.

Benin told them to go collect their own money for Nigeria(Nigeria exporting 'omonile' tendencies) they want to protect their own economy.

Who protects Nigerians?

How many land locked countries transport goods through Nigerian port and why don't they?
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by Folksyharry(m): 4:41pm On Mar 20, 2017
Ishilove:

Clearance charges, charges for evaluation, charges for oga, charges for awon boiz, charges for labour etc. Nigerian customs is rotten. In short every sector of Nigeria is rotten

They are rotten everywhere. They are rotten also at the airport especially those at the Port Harcourt airport. When I see them in action I just feel ashamed especially when there are foreigners around.
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by jpphilips(m): 4:44pm On Mar 20, 2017
texazzpete:
What a brilliant summary of the issues by the Grimaldi boss.

You have a country that is not making vehicles locally in any amount sufficient to meet demand of even a local government...yet you jack up import duties for second hand cars, ensuring that

1) the vast majority of Nigerians cannot afford any vehicle made in the past 5 years.

2) an increasing amount of broken down, scrappy and salvaged vehicles are being imported.

3) people have to use old vehicles past their retirement date because cost to replace them is astronomical. These vehicles are usually pollutive, have poor fuel economy and are relatively unsafe.

For a Government to wake up and take such a spiteful, malicious decision to deliberate punish their citizenry...it beggars belief.

2019 can't come soon enough.

Which government hiked the customs tarif?
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by jpphilips(m): 4:46pm On Mar 20, 2017
okosodo:
There is a new trend in this nairaland where people support rubbish. I dont know why people are supporting useless customs policy while they are not considering the border between kano and niger as a border. All the policies are affecting only wharf, seme and port har court. Nigerians should wake up because this concerns everybody

Kano/Niger border? when are they returning your brain from hire purchase?
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by sultaan(m): 5:34pm On Mar 20, 2017
duni04:

This is the IPODIAN way of reasoning. "Touch not my criminal" or "My criminal is less dangerous then your criminal".
What is wrong is wrong! Whether smuggling or stealing government funds. Whether its perpetuated by Hausa's or Igbo's or Yoruba.

When boko haram was moving hundreds of armed men through the borders in the north neither customs army nor police noticed them both the see a bus carrying 20 bags of rice and shoot the driver dead in the south.
Another Nigerian Dangote brings in shiploads of rice on trailers all over the road and that is not causing any harm to the economy.

If customs banned poultry importation but Fulani can import beef how fair is that?

If N1billon Naira of beef is brought in through Niger yearly these importers will now exchange it for dollars and go back to their country but all punitive laws are made to repress the south

Put 4 bags of rice and 2 kegs of vegetable oil in your in your back seat and drive from any SW to SE states vice versa the do the same NW to NE and see what the cost and result is, now I am daring you to test the system people experience everyday
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by Ishilove: 5:47pm On Mar 20, 2017
Folksyharry:

They are rotten everywhere. They are rotten also at the airport especially those at the Port Harcourt airport. When I see them in action I just feel ashamed especially when there are foreigners around.
The ones in PH are learners. You should come see the ones in Lagos Airport
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by texazzpete(m): 7:07pm On Mar 20, 2017
jpphilips:

Which government hiked the customs tarif?

The Buhari administration.

Any more questions ?
Re: No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD by jpphilips(m): 10:44am On Mar 21, 2017
texazzpete:

The Buhari administration.

Any more questions ?

So the national Automotive policy was implemented by Buhari? wow!! how old are you?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buying From Copart, IAAI Or Auction Export / Code P1135 / Lamborghini Builds 10,000th Huracan After 4yrs.Details Of Its Successor Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.