Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied (27027 Views)

Why Canada Denied Air Peace Right To Evacuate Stranded Nigerians - Onyeama / So Sad Now!!! I Was Denied Visa Today / Is There An Order From US Authorities To Deny Nigerians Visas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by davidif: 1:21pm On Mar 20, 2017
ttmacoy:
Your logic here is wrong because it was organised by Mary Flowers to help American companies recognise the investment opportunities in Africa.

She is the head of the consulting company Global Green Development Group and also the head of the USC Black Alumni Association hence why only those 2 organisations are sponsoring it.

if she truly wants to help American companies recognise investment opportunities in Africa why not take them to Africa which will be a lot cheaper and easier?

Hahahaha what a naive statement! You must have never worked in the corporate world before have you? cos if you have you would know that corporations don't like to waste there money until they know its a sure thing. You don't spend money on a trip to Africa unless you are at an advanced stage of talks to close a deal or something along those lines. Show me how many companies will be willing to let there staff just fly to some far flung corner of the globe on an all expenses paid trip without first knowing about the place? Not only are they going to missing out on work but they are going to be on the hook if anything bad happens to him.

This is a 'get to know you' kind of summit. A networking kind of thing like a career fair where a company comes to campus to sell themselves to students and to possibly conduct interviews on site. If they like You they can then fly you out to there facility for another round of interviews type stuff.

If this where done in Africa maybe one or two big companies might be willing to send one or two employees there on a meet and greet but I can tell you that majority of the smaller to midsize companies won't. Besides who wants to fly to Addis Ababa? This is not Paris we are talking about?

2 Likes

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by austinvsb1(m): 1:27pm On Mar 20, 2017
ttmacoy:
I did not say it is a fake event, but you will agree with me a poorly run event can be used by people to get visas falsely cant it. I know many many Nigerians who have applied for visas claiming conference or exhibition and run.

While it was run on the USC campus it was not run by USC but by the Black Alumni association so USC's reputation doesn't exactly cover this. I can hire a hall on USC campus that doesn't mean the reputation of USC guarantees my event is a good one.

Also why is there no evidence of past events if this was successfully run as claimed? Even the organiser said in the past the visa denials were high and if at this point every single invitee was denied then I would rather ask questions around the legitimacy of the event and from what I see on the internet if I was a visa officer I would be suspect. I will like to see proof of past event and attendees, I will see like to see speakers, programs, topics etc., I will like to see photos of past events if as you claim it is run by such a prestigious university.

Also we do not have any insight into what previous attendees to the events did when they go to the US so to conclude it is Trump is jumping the gun. Besides Trumps executive order is in plain English and clear, and aside that it is not effect anyway.

Why is there only 1 woman involved with both sponsors of the event. Mary Flowers is the head of the consulting company and the head of the Black Alumni association, no one else involved. Really??

I do not work as and neither do i know a visa officer, I am thus very unfamiliar with their genuinity screening procedures. I can only react based on what i read off independent news (which as you may well know is a fantastic and reputable news firm) that this event has been an ongoing annual one. While I agree that your stated arguments could be a reason for visa denial, I still would not rule out the possibility of discrimination against the African nations. A situation that has has increased significantly in the last few months as confirmed by Dabiri Abike (senior special assistant on foreign affairs and diaspora)

Could it be because it is an event organised by the head of Black Alumni association? And please don't act like you are totally unaware of the unprecedented increase in anti-immigration actions and stance of the USA since 45 became president. Not everything is written in ink and paper. Even Canadians are cancelling previously planned trips to the USA in droves.

Below are a few articles to read through should you be wondering about my claim about trump's discriminatory & anti-immigration stance and the corresponding effects on US tourism and economy:

http://time.com/money/4687114/trump-slump-foreign-tourism-us-immigration-travel/

http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/27/trumps-travel-ban-is-already-affecting-u

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/feb/28/us-tourism-experiences-a-trump-slump
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by austinvsb1(m): 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2017
davidif:

Hahahaha what a naive statement! You must have never worked in the corporate world before have you? Cos of you have you would know that corporations don't like to waste there money until they know its a sure thing. You don't spend money on a trip to Africa unless you are at an advanced stage of talks. Show me how many companies will be willing to let there staff just fly to some far flung corner of the globe on an all expenses paid trip without first knowing about the place?
This is a 'get to know you' kind of summit. A networking kind of thing like a career fair where a company comes to campus to sell themselves to students and to possibly conduct interviews on site. If they like You they can then fly you out to there facility for another round of interviews type stuff.

If this where done in Africa maybe one or two big companies might be willing to send one or two employees there on a meet and greet but I can tell you that majority of the smaller to midsize companies won't. Besides who wants to fly to Addis Ababa? This is not Paris we are talking about?

you have serious brain in that head of yours brother!

1 Like

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by ttmacoy: 1:59pm On Mar 20, 2017
Really?

If the summit has been run a number of times in the past and is as successful as you suggest I assure you companies would fly down to Nigeria to meet the people if there is business opportunity.

I work as a consultant and fly all over the place and if a company sees investment opportunities they want to pursue they will fly down, and flying down actually means you see things on the ground and can meet more people.

I sent you a link of the US Africa summit held in Addis Ababa didn't I? From the photos it's clear that was. More successful that the so called USC summit which looks so poorly organised, where we can't see any proof of the past successful events.

I'm sorry but I need proof instead of just jumping on the populist narrative. Send me proof that the event was successful, show me a list of past delegates and sponsors etc, show me something rather than just blame trump.

by your logic of who wants to fly to Addis Ababa it is not Paris, then why the hell are they attending an African summit for potential investment in Africa if it is nor Paris? Does that even make sense? It's flying down for business opportunities not holiday and if they will not come to Africa because it is not Paris then the summit is worthless isn't it?

Besides I sent you a link which shows the many people who attended the so called not Paris summit in Addis Ababa while the supposed better summit in America cannot show any proof of past delegates or events or speakers. yea right.

davidif:

Hahahaha what a naive statement! You must have never worked in the corporate world before have you? Cos of you have you would know that corporations don't like to waste there money until they know its a sure thing. You don't spend money on a trip to Africa unless you are at an advanced stage of talks. Show me how many companies will be willing to let there staff just fly to some far flung corner of the globe on an all expenses paid trip without first knowing about the place?

1 Like

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by austinvsb1(m): 2:18pm On Mar 20, 2017
ttmacoy:
Really?

If the summit has been run a number of times in the past and is as successful as you suggest I assure you companies would fly down to Nigeria to meet the people if there is business opportunity.

I work as a consultant and fly all over the place and if a company sees investment opportunities they want to pursue they will fly down, and flying down actually means you see things on the ground and can meet more people.

I sent you a link of the US Africa summit held in Addis Ababa didn't I? From the photos it's clear that was. More successful that the so called USC summit which looks so poorly organised, where we can't see any proof of the past successful events.

I'm sorry but I need proof instead of just jumping on the populist narrative. Send me proof that the event was successful, show me a list of past delegates and sponsors etc, show me something rather than just blame trump.

I highly doubt you will be convinced by anything other than a recorded video from the visa officers stating that we are refusing all your visas cause we don't want you africans entering our trump country no more! And Even with that, you still may claim "misinterpretation of the innocent guy's words". I have met a couple like you at t_d.

1 Like

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Nobody: 2:35pm On Mar 20, 2017
davidif:

Hahahaha what a naive statement! You must have never worked in the corporate world before have you? Cos of you have you would know that corporations don't like to waste there money until they know its a sure thing. You don't spend money on a trip to Africa unless you are at an advanced stage of talks to close a deal or something along those lines. Show me how many companies will be willing to let there staff just fly to some far flung corner of the globe on an all expenses paid trip without first knowing about the place? Not only are they going to missing work but they are going to be on the hook if anything bad happens to him.

This!! I was going to write same.

Lalasticlala, i think you'd see that this thread deserves FP. No?
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by ttmacoy: 2:44pm On Mar 20, 2017
Thanks buddy. All I have asked for is proof instead of jumping on the easy culprit of it is trump.

I have shown you proof the so called summit doesn't look as reputable as is claimed but yet you say while that may be true you would rather believe it is trump.

Doesn't that suggesg you are convinced it must be trump despite any evidence to the contrary? As you say even if the Vo says it's not trump it is because past attendees ran away or they were not convinced the summit was what it claims you will say it's a lie it is trump. You see the irony?

austinvsb1:

I highly doubt you will be convinced by anything other than a recorded video from the visa officers stating that we are refusing all your visas cause we don't want you africans entering our trump country no more! And Even with that, you still may claim "misinterpretation of the innocent guy's words". I have met a couple like you at t_d.

2 Likes

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by austinvsb1(m): 3:25pm On Mar 20, 2017
ttmacoy:
Thanks buddy. All I have asked for is proof instead of jumping on the easy culprit of it is trump.

I have shown you proof the so called summit doesn't look as reputable as is claimed but yet you say while that may be true you would rather believe it is trump.

Doesn't that suggesg you are convinced it must be trump despite any evidence to the contrary? As you say even if the Vo says it's not trump it is because past attendees ran away or they were not convinced the summit was what it claims you will say it's a lie it is trump. You see the irony?

Bro, I'm sure you know of the adage "An apple doesn't fall far from the tree"... A simple google search will reveal several cases of documented inexplicable visa revoke, outlandish refusal stories as well as outrageous border deportations since donald trump assumed office. To pretend all of this is unconnected to a new America immigration stance and the president's populist rhetoric is simply living in denial.

A summit (ofcourse not one of those million dollar summits.. where would a black woman get that kind of money? duhh) that was slated to hold in USC to me holds some sort of credence and repute. I try to be as open minded as I can, and I understand the angle from which you view this but I strongly disagree that somehow a 100% visa denial as opposed to what was obtained before for the African delegates is totally unconnected with trump's new America. I strongly disagree!

1 Like

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by DirewolfofStark(m): 3:52pm On Mar 20, 2017
Muslims bringing shame on us. Even if you're not a muslim you'll suffer because of their s.hit.
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by kkboy(m): 3:52pm On Mar 20, 2017
Nice one let them stay in Africa to fix Africa
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Nobody: 3:54pm On Mar 20, 2017
grin grin grin grin

The America's First African President is Working...
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by JSam212: 3:54pm On Mar 20, 2017
Must the African submit be in the US, can't they bring it to Africa, abeg jor we get wahala undecided undecided undecided
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Guyman02: 3:55pm On Mar 20, 2017
jameseva:

You didnt read the part where the article said.. The summit is to get investors to come invest in africa, did you?

The direction should be the other way, do the promotion in US for would be investors to come to Africa. The Chinese do the campaign at home for their investors to come to Africa and they have been successful, they dont come here to pack people to go for a jamboree in Beijing
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by exlinkleads(f): 3:55pm On Mar 20, 2017
very good
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Kobicove(m): 3:56pm On Mar 20, 2017
If they were denied visas then let them stay in their respective countries...

By the way why would an African business summit be held in the United States in the first instance? undecided
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by delishpot: 3:59pm On Mar 20, 2017
Shame no dey catch africans? Na Evey year dey gather Una like nursery school children to teach Una how to do things? Shior! Upon all sef, una dey go there just for fun and to line your pockets not to learn anything that will improve the lives of your people.
Trump should stop spoon feeding you guys sef.

2 Likes

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by eph123(f): 4:01pm On Mar 20, 2017
Africa needs to develop itself so we stop going all about begging other countries.

It's shameful.

2 Likes

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Realdeals(m): 4:03pm On Mar 20, 2017
When Abike warned Nigerians, everybody including that clueless Minister were shouting.
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by ipain: 4:03pm On Mar 20, 2017
CharleyCharley:

They are not? Really? grin
They are not... China sees them as nothing and see where China is today. If you believe someone can beat you, they will surely beat you.
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by figure007(m): 4:03pm On Mar 20, 2017
Uncle Trump at work...my guy... But its getting out of hand already uncle Trump...take am easy abeg.... You can deny the visa of our politicians but leave our business tycoons alone and leave the masses alone but all those tyrant politician pls deny them thank you uncle trump
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by dee02(m): 4:04pm On Mar 20, 2017
US with Trump at the helm will end up polarising itself from the rest of the world.
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by ttmacoy: 4:04pm On Mar 20, 2017
You say Trump's rhetoric, please show me the video or quote where he said Nigerians will be targeted or stopped. Right or wrong he has been very clear about his intentions and there has been no surprises so this automatic assumption any Nigerian refused now is not because there is a reason but because of Trump is baseless. As I have said over and over go to the US student visa and visit visa forums on nairaland here, many Nigerians have been getting visa and entering the states wit no problem so stop spreading false panic. As a Nigerian if you have a valid reason to be in the US and are confident in yourself you will enter easily. I've been in the US twice this year and while I did not use a Nigerian passport I saw different people from Africa going in with no problem so I don't get this unfounded panic.

the issue now is with Trum's rhetoric anything that happens now will be automatic Trump even if he has nothing to do with it.

You say because it was organised on USC campus means it hold merit. I say no, I can book a hall on USC campus that doesn't mean USC reputation means my event is proper. If you hire a hall at Unilag does that mean Unilag is organising an event?

I ask again and again show proof of the past events and delegates and attendees and speakers, you can produce and keep saying where will she get money. She claims to be linking business with opportunities yet she can't show any proof any such past speakers or events. Please explain to me how you can book and pay for a summit where you have no information on the speakers, the program nothing. Is that how you pay for events?

I attend summits both economic and business e.g. I recently attended a CPD event for my chartered accountancy membership and guess what on the invite there was an agenda with clear speakers, bio and program/topics.

You see all this and yet you insist it must be Trump. With the attitude the only way you will accept Trump isn't after Nigerians is if no Nigerian is every turned back anymore. Yeah right.

austinvsb1:

Bro, I'm sure you know of the adage "An apple doesn't fall far from the tree"... A simple google search will reveal several cases of documented inexplicable visa revoke, outlandish refusal stories as well as outrageous border deportations since donald trump assumed office. To pretend all of this is unconnected to a new America immigration stance and the president's populist rhetoric is simply living in denial.

A summit (ofcourse not one of those million dollar summits.. where would a black woman get that kind of money? duhh) that was slated to hold in USC to me holds some sort of credence and repute. I try to be as open minded as I can, and I understand the angle from which you view this but I strongly disagree that somehow a 100% visa denial as opposed to what was obtained before for the African delegates is totally unconnected with trump's new America. I strongly disagree!

1 Like

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 20, 2017
jameseva:
Even Valve has threatened to move Dota 2 and other video game tournaments out of the US because of the visa crackdown:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/9/14571570/dota-2-international-tournament-visas-trump-immigration

Not to mention the drop in tourists to the US because of Trump. Anyone that still doesnt see that Trump is destroying America, day by day is either completely retarded or just has an alternative reality

Note: DOTA tourny is one of the largest sporting events in the US. It makes long standing sports like golf and tennis look pretty pathetic in some respects. It has tens of millions of viewers, tens of millions of players and the prize is in the tens of millions of USD
A president that claimed his predecessor wire tapped him without proof, A president who i suspect out of egocentric considerations bad mouthed and tore down the TPP that could have taken the initiative on trade away from china and handed it back to the US, A president who thinks building a wall is the most effective way to curb drugs coming in from mexico and one who thinks Banning in its entirety any one from eight muslem countries so as to prevent USA from terrorist acts( country that has suffered more from home grown terrorism & gun violence) and yet is unwilling to approve background checks for Gun buyers, A president who tweets any nonsense he wishes , A president who has lied severally even about things as mundane as rally crowds. Omo that guys issues are just endless. One thing is for sure, he isn't surprising anyone, he made it clear this was who he is and yet he was voted in. Americans should carry their cross. They brought this one on themselves

4 Likes

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Nobody: 4:06pm On Mar 20, 2017
ttmacoy:
Your logic here is wrong because it was organised by Mary Flowers to help American companies recognise the investment opportunities in Africa.

She is the head of the consulting company Global Green Development Group and also the head of the USC Black Alumni Association hence why only those 2 organisations are sponsoring it.

if she truly wants to help American companies recognise investment opportunities in Africa why not take them to Africa which will be a lot cheaper and easier?

They were probably refused the visa because the organisations don't seem to have much merit and also probably past attendees 40% of whom were refused ended up doing a runner or didn't even attend the summit at all.

Go and look at the website below. Her objective is to help US companies see investment opportunities in Africa so why doesn't she take them to Africa where they can meet a lot more small businesses who cant afford to fly to America and who need investment?

http://www.agedsummit.com/

This so called summit is supposed to be in it's 3rd or 4th year yet we can't see any photos videos reviews of past summits, attendees or speakers. We have no clue who is speaking at this event which was cancelled and it is for 3 days. See below website for another submit and see how they have a program with speakers and topics etc? Are you telling me you will really pay for a summit where you have no idea who is speaking or what topics they will be talking about? No idea what investors, companies etc. will be attending? Such events will put on their websites the companies they are expecting etc. to sell the event.

http://www.ccausafricasummit.com/

And for all US embassies in all the African countries to deny all invites it must mean that summit has been blacklisted for previous visa abuse or there are concerns about the summit.

The summit website is just one page, no links, nothing just one page. The text they have under climate change etc. is copy and paste from the UN publication on climate change.

Then from climate change they talk about Iroko investment which is another copy and paste but no idea why as it has nothing to do with this summit. All they have done is just come up with random topics, copy and paste existing publications from Google and say summit. God knows how much they charged for this. I couldn't check because registration is closed.

I just have to follow you. your analysis is backed wit facts that give insight for readers to really judge if the summit was a scam or not and Thereby visa denial appropriate or not.
For me,the summit was a scam done shoddily.
At least they should have put in some effort na

2 Likes

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 20, 2017
jameseva:

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.voanews.com/amp/3770907.html
Why go to U. S for the so-called African summit. Stay here in Africa and do it DUMB AS*BLACK MONKEYS AND BABOONS. Invite the white people to Africa not the other way round; you guys are just wasting money.

1 Like

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by columbus007(m): 4:13pm On Mar 20, 2017
What is this one saying

Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by ebuclassic18(m): 4:14pm On Mar 20, 2017
good news, business summit that has no impact to below average African citizens, they only go their with concubines to have fun,,,,useless people
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Adebowale89(m): 4:15pm On Mar 20, 2017
that's the kind of racist the Igbos are doing campaign for on his inauguration

either Biafra or not. we are talking about African here. most of the international organization agency which Africans are members had their headquarters located in this united states

why would they issue such unthinking ban without considering the effective outcome against mankind
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 20, 2017
Diebyfire05:
Why go to U. S for the so-called African summit. Stay here in Africa and do it DUMB AS*BLACK MONKEYS AND BABOONS. Invite the white people to Africa not the other way round; you guys are just wasting money.

Hi, can you inbox your house or office address? We will like to pay you a rewarding visit. Police is your friend
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by chiraqDemon(m): 4:26pm On Mar 20, 2017
jameseva:
Even Valve has threatened to move Dota 2 and other video game tournaments out of the US because of the visa crackdown:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/9/14571570/dota-2-international-tournament-visas-trump-immigration

Not to mention the drop in tourists to the US because of Trump. Anyone that still doesnt see that Trump is destroying America, day by day is either completely retarded or just has an alternative reality

Note: DOTA tourny is one of the largest sporting events in the US. It makes long standing sports like golf and tennis look pretty pathetic in some respects. It has tens of millions of viewers, tens of millions of players and the prize is in the tens of millions of USD
DOTA mad bruhh
The suppose bring these video game tourneys n stuf to naija, ghana, sa, kenya n soke other african countries
These game publishers nor evn de take african audience into comsideration even as we get rugged and massive gaming community
Re: African Business Summit In US has No African Delegates. Their Visas Were Denied by Nobody: 4:27pm On Mar 20, 2017
trump will ruin america last last

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Terrible Accident At Ugwu Nwasike Ogidi, Anambra (PHOTOS) / FAAN Identifies Immigration Officers That Stole From A 14 Year Old Girl / My Parents Waiting To Sell South African Properties "17year Old Returnee"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.