Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,907 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why (18118 Views)

Akin Abayomi: COVID-19 Patients Being Upset At The Start Of Isolation Is Normal / Covid19: Ministry Of Finance Confirms Receipt Of Certain Donations / Upset Stomach – How To Treat It At Home - Prevention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by michaelo2(m): 7:31am On Mar 21, 2017
If everyday noises like a dripping tap or someone chewing or clicking a pen makes you irritated or panic, in my case metals clanking together, you might suffer from
Misophonia , literally "hatred of sound," (Miso- (hatred) phonia (sound) ) was proposed in 2000 as a condition in which negative emotions, thoughts, and physical reactions are triggered by specific sounds. It is also called "select sound sensitivity syndrome" and "sound-rage."

What causes misophonia?
Misophonia is a neurological disorder in which auditory (and sometimes visual) stimuli are misinterpreted within the central nervous system. However, misophonia and what causes misophonia is still something of a mystery. Although people may have suffered from misophonia for many years, it has only been recognized as a medical condition since the 1990's.

Signs and Symptoms
If you have a mild reaction, you might feel:
Anxious
Uncomfortable
The urge to flee
Disgust
In my case, I get goosebumps.

If your response is more severe, the sound in question might cause:
Rage
Anger
Hatred
Panic
Fear
Emotional distress
A desire to kill or stop whatever is making the noise
Skin crawling
Suicidal thoughts

The disease can put a cramp in your social life. You might avoid restaurants or eat separately from your spouse, family, or roommates. Or worse, you could act on what you feel. You might attack the person who’s making the sound -- physical or verbally -- cry, or run away from the situation.
Over time, you may respond to visual triggers, too. Seeing someone get ready to eat or put something in their mouth might set you off.

How Do You Live With Misophonia
As for me, I dont use two metals together (like a plate and spoon or cup and spoon) and if I see you using it, I walk away. While some try to mask the trigger-sounds with music, others simply try to avoid them. Depending on the severity, it can have serious consequences for people with misophonia. The condition might keep patients from building-up relationships, engaging in social activities or even leaving the house.

People suffering from misophonia often feel alienated and misunderstood because others might write them off as hysterical or overly-sensitive. Often it helps to see a doctor to get a diagnosis as proof that you are not just making it up. Your doctor can refer you to different kinds of therapy. Even just to talk about your condition might be helpful.

Do share with someone, it might be helpful

cc. lalasticlala seun

source: http://www.healththismoment.com/2017/03/misophonia-hatred-of-certain-sounds.html?m=1

9 Likes

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by Gmajor(m): 7:33am On Mar 21, 2017
I hate noisy chewing, I just can't stand it.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by Nobody: 8:37am On Mar 21, 2017
I hate that sound when you drag a basin on the floor

133 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by lelvin(m): 8:44am On Mar 21, 2017
Bulshit irritates me as well

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by michaelo2(m): 2:08pm On Mar 21, 2017
jcmaiah:
mine is just metals clanking together ha God

18 Likes

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by introvertme: 7:46am On Mar 29, 2017
Gmajor:
I hate noisy chewing, I just can't stand it.

me 2 guy I can't stand it,I don't like eating around people !!

I just become angry!!! Chai ,and no cure dey

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by oseka101(m): 8:40am On Apr 04, 2017
Nothing upsets me off more than NTA network news intro sound infact right now am pissed for just thinking about it. I need to break something to cool off... angry

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by smartty68(m): 8:40am On Apr 04, 2017
Can't stand a noisy environment

3 Likes

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by MrEgbegbe(m): 8:40am On Apr 04, 2017

I love sex noise

6 Likes

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by ednut1(m): 8:41am On Apr 04, 2017
mosquitoes

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by Yinkatolu: 8:41am On Apr 04, 2017
I hate sudden power bike sound

8 Likes

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by Vince77(m): 8:42am On Apr 04, 2017
lelvin:
Bulshit irritates me as well
lol. Is it a sound?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by DjAndroid: 8:42am On Apr 04, 2017
The one that angers me most is when people grind or crush their teeth together unknowingly when sleeping.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by xreal: 8:43am On Apr 04, 2017
Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by fearlessigboman(m): 8:43am On Apr 04, 2017
metal clanking is death!!!....
And also rubbing this white carton together ( that stuff found in new products... yes... I no Sabi d name)

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by smartty68(m): 8:43am On Apr 04, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

I love sex noise

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by DESTINY41(m): 8:43am On Apr 04, 2017
I hate that sound when you scratch a pot

I keep chewing my tongue against my jaw whenever I hear it embarassed embarassed

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by holaragh(f): 8:43am On Apr 04, 2017
Hmmm...I've learnt something new today after all cheesy

1 Like

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by fmarshal(m): 8:44am On Apr 04, 2017
So being irked by the annoying and gross sound some uncultured people make while eating is a disorder
Well, I'd rather have that disorder than to be orderly and condone that rubbish.
Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by Divay22(f): 8:44am On Apr 04, 2017
Dripping tap or chewing food.. angry angry angry it makes me angry sad
Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by Nobody: 8:44am On Apr 04, 2017
Mine is the sound one makes when calling a dog. That sound chews up my bones

4 Likes

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by Vince77(m): 8:44am On Apr 04, 2017
Yinkatolu:
I hate sudden power bike sound

Hmm.. You maybe alone on this one.

6 Likes

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by Nobody: 8:44am On Apr 04, 2017
If i'm asleep and a cockroach or a rat is moving about, i'll hear it and won't rest until I kill it. I hate it when people drag their feet on the floor while walking too.
I hate that throaty sound some guys do before spitting. It irritates me.
Sudden noise scares me, it could be banging of the door or dropping something heavy suddenly. It makes my heart beat really fast. I usually beg my friends not to surprise me with anything because it is always too much to handle. Don't Surprise me, Don't try to sneak in on me, or close my eyes with your fingers and ask me to guess who's there. I'll go crazy in less than 2.5seconds.

25 Likes

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by thepresence: 8:45am On Apr 04, 2017
Meanwhile, for your generator power booster, call me.
With this booster, you will be able to use heavy loads like pressing iron, etc on generator, even small ones, and not affect the coil.
N4500 only
0811 938 7235
Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by KAYD007(m): 8:45am On Apr 04, 2017
jcmaiah:

i can descend on someone because of that....e dey pain me like they are literally cutting into me angry

7 Likes

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by erosimo(m): 8:45am On Apr 04, 2017
jcmaiah:

I hate it too bro

3 Likes

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by dacovajnr: 8:46am On Apr 04, 2017
The sounds from a Metal cutting Saw used by Welders drive me crazy, that stuff so annoying angry angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Some Certain Kind Of Sounds Upset You? Here Is Why by Tazdroid(m): 8:46am On Apr 04, 2017
I really hate screeching metals like when aluminum sheets are being cut with a sawing machine. Feels like an exorcism, bodi go dey do me one kind

however, l like hearing the "kkrrrrrr" sound an ATM makes when dispensing. So soothing grin

oseka101:
Nothing upsets me off more than NTA network news intro sound infact right now am pissed for just thinking about it. I need to break something to cool off... angry

I HATE THAT INTRO DIIIEEEEE! grin grin Since dem born me, na d same soundtrack them dey use, no change at all. It has topped the News Intro Billboards more than any other grin

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos Discharges 48 Coronavirus Patients Today / Bald Head , What Are The Natural Remedy: / 7 Health Benefits Of Cassava Leave.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.