Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,082 members, 7,852,673 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 11:37 PM

Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor (1381 Views)

Impeach Buhari: Court Orders National Assembly To Begin Process / Buhari's UK Trip: PDP Asks National Assembly To Avert Constitutional Crisis / Diezani Blasts EFCC: You Lack Understanding About The Powers Of A President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by lagosmp3(m): 11:02am On Mar 22, 2017
Source: http://lagosmp3.com/2017/03/22/minister-of-finance-kemi-adeosun-asks-national-assembly-to-cut-the-powers-of-cbn-governor/

Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, has asked the National Assembly to reduce the powers of the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

Adeosun made the call when she received members of the House of Representatives Tactical Committee on Recession led by Bode Ayorinde in her office yesterday March 21st.

According to Adeosun, the enormous powers given to CBN governors have resulted in the some of the financial crisis witnessed over time. She added that the excessive powers have caused some of the CBN governors in time past to act on financial matters without recourse to the minister of finance, who according to her is constitutionally required to supervise financial policies, programmes and activities of the Federal Government.

“I want to correct the impression that the CBN is under us. They are not. Unfortunately, a law was passed, making them independent and giving them more powers. This has resulted in one person having so much power. In the time of Prof. Charles Soludo as CBN governor, he went to the National Assembly asking for more powers and you can see where that has taken us to. So we are back to the legislature to help us correct this problem of too much power. As a result, there are no checks and balances” she said

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by HungerBAD: 11:03am On Mar 22, 2017
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by Lucy001(f): 11:10am On Mar 22, 2017
Adeosun Int"l shocked

The simple question to ask is when will the powers of the ministers will equally be cut? What is good for the goose is equally good for the ganders, so the sayings goes since 1890 grin

Sms Tboss to 32052 via ur mobile phones!

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by DozieInc(m): 11:21am On Mar 22, 2017
The same CBN Okonjo worked with abi?
Madam, better learn to synergize your ministry and the CBN, and stop indirectly apportioning blame.

2 Likes

Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by chukwuibuipob: 11:22am On Mar 22, 2017
sad confused people
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by id911(m): 11:35am On Mar 22, 2017
This incompetent woman who knows nothing about fiscal policy or economy should shut up. Adeosun is the worst finance minister since 1960

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by orisa37: 11:51am On Mar 22, 2017
This is phenomenal. Now we are making progress. Unscrupulous Politics out, actions that will stabilize the Naira in. Reno Omocriri, you're warned. Governors like SLS will not simply walk to NASS to criticize Legislators' Salaries and Allowances anyhow.
CBN Nigeria is at best similar to CB in England where The Minister of Finance always has superior responsibilities to the Governor in controlling the economy. The situation of The U.S. Federal Reserve is a different kettle. So I beg The NASS should redefine these Jobs' Duties and Responsibilities today today.

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by EasternActivist: 12:34pm On Mar 22, 2017
if you are competent you won't need extra powers to make an impact on the same system the great NOI worked with and succeeded.

shameless cashier made minister of finance by chance if not by outstanding mistake.

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by Okanokan(m): 3:28pm On Mar 22, 2017
What of the powers of the over-aged Comptroller-General of Custom?
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by akoko11: 3:36pm On Mar 22, 2017
End time power
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by dumodust(m): 10:52pm On Mar 22, 2017
If she truly said that, then it's unfortunate
And she thinks the economy is all about packing money and saving in tsa, smh
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by SalamRushdie: 10:56pm On Mar 22, 2017
Elrufai was right Buhari has lost control of his govt , its like somalia in there with each appointee working in isolation without a common goal or purpose .
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by Firefire(m): 3:17am On Mar 23, 2017
Things Fall Apart!
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by orisa37: 3:31am On Mar 23, 2017
DozieInc:
Madam, better learn to synergize your ministry and the CBN, and stop indirectly apportioning blame.

Okonjo worked with SLS and that was the last of the two with Diezani and the NNPC Abracadabra.
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by orisa37: 3:34am On Mar 23, 2017
DozieInc:

Emefiele hasn't got it. Madam doesn't want Synergy with Biafra and Bokoharam.
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by orisa37: 3:48am On Mar 23, 2017
chukwuibuipob:
sad confused people

PMB should make them stick to their constitutional responsibilities. CBN should not curry favors from NASS. One provides FUND. The other is a Store keeper for The Funds. The Foreign Reserve is kept for The Minister of Finance, who and The President must authorize every movement in and out of it.
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by orisa37: 3:53am On Mar 23, 2017
id911:
This incompetent woman who knows nothing about fiscal policy or economy should shut up. Adeosun is the worst finance minister since 1960

Foul language against Our Minister is bad temper.
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by orisa37: 4:02am On Mar 23, 2017
Firefire:
Things Fall Apart!

Emefiele=Ali Modu Sheriff. They play similar games in this Nigerian Politics. PMB's game!!!
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by sorepco(m): 6:01am On Mar 23, 2017
1st of all i am angry with the mods. Anytime i post a subject matter of consequence that mite hit front page, they always close my thread and open theirs!! What an infradignited!!?? I am flabagasted and deflated and discouraged.
I open my thread at 10.02 pm whereas this was opened at 11pm. Mod is this a conspiracy or what? Or i should go back to the bbc oe economist.com comment sections!?

By the way this kemi of a woman seems myopic or petit minded. She wants to control tge cbn?? Is is she normal? The cbn is bigger than her ministry budget and finsnce wise. Or she wants to become a super minister? Rubbish!!

[quote author=lagosmp3 post=54831217]Source: http://lagosmp3.com/2017/03/22/minister-of-finance-kemi-adeosun-asks-national-assembly-to-cut-the-powers-of-cbn-governor/

Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, has asked the National Assembly to reduce the powers of the governor of the Central Bank
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by kaboninc(m): 6:58am On Mar 23, 2017
orisa37:

PMB should make them stick to their constitutional responsibilities. CBN should not curry favors from NASS. One provides FUND. The other is a Store keeper for The Funds. The Foreign Reserve is kept for The Minister of Finance, who and The President must authorize every movement in and out of it.

A component of the foreign reserve is actually owned by the CBN and they do not require any authorization to do whateve they want with it.
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by kaboninc(m): 6:59am On Mar 23, 2017
[s]
sorepco:
1st of all i am angry with the mods. Anytime i post a subject matter of consequence that mite hit front page, they always close my thread and open theirs!! What an infradignited!!?? I am flabagasted and deflated and discouraged.
I open my thread at 10.02 pm whereas this was opened at 11pm. Mod is this a conspiracy or what? Or i should go back to the bbc oe economist.com comment sections!?

By the way this kemi of a woman seems myopic or petit minded. She wants to control tge cbn?? Is is she normal? The cbn is bigger than her ministry budget and finsnce wise. Or she wants to become a super minister? Rubbish!!

[/s]

Please debate or argue constructively
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by DozieInc(m): 7:22am On Mar 23, 2017
orisa37:

Emefiele hasn't got it. Madam doesn't want Synergy with Biafra and Bokoharam.
What are you talking
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by orisa37: 7:48am On Mar 23, 2017
kaboninc:

A component of the foreign reserve is actually owned by the CBN and they do not require any authorization to do whateve they want with it.

That component must be what Biafra and Bokoharam are after. An exclusive constitutional power to CBN Governor to misbehave?
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by orisa37: 7:53am On Mar 23, 2017
DozieInc:

What are you talking

High-Tech Funds Management.
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by kaboninc(m): 8:51am On Mar 23, 2017
orisa37:

That component must be what Biafra and Bokoharam are after. An exclusive constitutional power to CBN Governor to misbehave?

I don't even understand you
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by orisa37: 9:33am On Mar 23, 2017
kaboninc:

I don't even understand you

Even Jesus Christ always apply for Power from above.What kind of Constitution permits a CBN GOVERNOR to use a Fund anyhow without permission or authorization from someone else other than him? So many conditions are making Government undemocratic in Nigeria.
Re: Minister Of Finance, Asks National Assembly To Cut The Powers Of CBN Governor by kaboninc(m): 10:40am On Mar 23, 2017
orisa37:

Even Jesus Christ always apply for Power from above.What kind of Constitution permits a CBN GOVERNOR to use a Fund anyhow without permission or authorization from someone else other than him? So many conditions are making Government undemocratic in Nigeria.

Am sure you don't know what you're saying.

Do you know the composition of the foreign reserve?

(1) (Reply)

HISTORY: 50-yrs-ago; Brigadier Samuel Ogbemudia Was Igbo And Igbanke, Igbo Akiri / Igbo Is Preparing For 2nd Surrender To Nigeria Nation / How Did Babatunde Abracadabra Fashola Dissapear A Bilion Naira Market Contract?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.