Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,600 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? (713 Views)

Poll: Do You Have Faith That Your Vp Will Make A Good President?

Yes, I believe: 25% (8 votes)
No, He will suck: 40% (13 votes)
I don't know: 34% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Can Osinbajo Be A Good President? / To My SE Family.... Mayor_of_Lagos As VP, Will You Vote Apc? / Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by radiovibe: 5:05pm On Dec 21, 2009
Guys, I would like to know your opinion on this.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by paddylo1(m): 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2009
honestly i dont know. . .but my hope is that he will conduct a credible election in 2011 since he will only be there for 1yr,and is not going to contest it
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by mrperfect(m): 5:49pm On Dec 21, 2009
I hope he can.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by Fhemmmy: 5:55pm On Dec 21, 2009
I am not sure he will be a great President, but it is the right thing to do.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by blackmann(m): 6:13pm On Dec 21, 2009
If the so-called northern group dnt frustrate his efforts, i think he might do well, considering the little time left.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by MrCrackles(m): 6:30pm On Dec 21, 2009
I dont think Jonathan has a pinch of clue on how to run a dysfunctional country like Nigeria. . .Hence my answer is NO!
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by Gbawe: 6:32pm On Dec 21, 2009
Jonathan must be President . That is what our constitution stipulates.

If one looks at Jonathan pragmatically and dispassionately then one is only left to conclude that he will not be much different to Yar Adua. He may even be far worse !!!! Yar Adua is feudalistic . Even as he understands that he will have to protect OBJ throughout his tenure , he aligned with Northerners from his region and close circle to emasculate OBJ. This shows that Yar Adua is more beholden to his environment, culture and trusted regional/old friends than he is to any other consideration to include obeisance to a godfather or the effective leadership of Nigeria. He is ready to step on his godfathers toes for his region and buddies. Jonathan will never do same IMO.

Yar Adua, to me , suffers from the type of siege mentality indoctrination that will always make him loyal to what/who he believes in above everything else. It is obvious Yar Adua can be 'principled' when certain folks and considerations are involved. Yar Adua , for example,  will never back OBJ against his Katsina buddies. If anything his close circle can now claim victory over OBJ with how they have convinced Yar Adua to neuter the former President.

Jonathan seems , to me , to be a man who has no passionate belief in anything. He is an institution man entirely . We all saw his role in ensuring Ekiti was won. He is more interested in ensuring the boat is not rocked than anything else. He wll not do anything visionary for Nigeria. I am no fan of Yar Adua but I commend him for two things (even as I still doubt the genuiness of his motives) i.e deregulation of the downstream sector and the ND amnesty programme. Both measures , if handled correctly, can move Nigeria forward.

Folks should be afraid of a Jonathan Presidency. All I see , and have always seen, from Goodluck is duplicity, weakness and a distinct lack of colour and charisma. He is not comfortable with power let alone understand how to use it well . Even ultimate power will not convince a very cautious and innately subservient individual that he is now the boss and he can now do what is right.

I hope , for the sake of Nigeria , that I am wrong.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by coolier(f): 6:33pm On Dec 21, 2009
Has our faith worked with any of the past presidents so far? His performance and achievements when he becomes President will determine how good or bad he is.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by mamagee3(f): 7:01pm On Dec 21, 2009
Both Yaradunce and his sidekick brother, Jonathan Badluck need to be impeached!! angry
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by naso2(m): 7:25pm On Dec 21, 2009
Not sure but he definitely will be better than YARA-----WHATEVER
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by MrCrackles(m): 7:33pm On Dec 21, 2009
na_so:

Not sure but he definitely will be better than YARA-----WHATEVER
How do you know he will be better than Yaradunce
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by MT: 7:48pm On Dec 21, 2009
Check out his wife and you will find answer to that question. It was once reported in one of the dailies then that the wife was found with loads of dollars on her way out of the country when he was still the deputy governor in Bayelsa. The matter has since died a natural death.

Nigeria will soon be turned to "Plc" on the map.

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4308:efcc-v-patience-jonathan-vice-presidents-wife-farida-waziri-a-efcc-please-provide-an-update&catid=81:external-contrib&Itemid=300
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by Fhemmmy: 7:52pm On Dec 21, 2009
MT:

Check out his wife and you will find answer to that question. It was once reported in one of the dailies then that the wife was found with loads of dollars on her way out of the country when he was still the deputy governor in Bayelsa. The matter has since died a natural death.

Ummmmmm
that is scary.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by Gbawe: 8:14pm On Dec 21, 2009
MT:

The EFCC , under Ribadu , nearly charged her to court for that offence and others until OBJ decided that Jonathan is the annointed VP and everything must be done to bring him forward even if "everything" meant ignoring the theft of Jonathan and his greedy wife. . Nigerians should be very afraid of a Jonathan Presidency. The man and his wife are crooks. Yar Adua , for all his faults, is probably not very materialistic even if Turai and others around Mr. President are robbing us blind. Jonathan will do the stealing himself just like OBJ. I don't know why we never learn our lessons in Nigeria . When have we ever had a decent selected leader , at Presidential level since democracy began , for us to be discussing the merit of gaining another selected President !!! When will we understand that our current number 1 to 3 top men have nothing good for Nigeria? Until we choose our President ourselves we should expect nothing from those imposed on us because they are there to serve the mafia cabals, godfathers and 'interest groups' that put them in their positions.

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4481:-seven-reasons-vp-goodluck-jonathan-should-resign-&catid=81:external-contrib&Itemid=300

Seven reasons VP Goodluck Jonathan should resign       
Written by Eghosa Imogie     
Tuesday, 08 December 2009 13:26 

Most Northern politicians in Nigeria do not trust Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan (GCON) and would want him to resign for some reasons. Surprisingly, even Southern Politicians and some Ijaw statesmen are opposed to the VPs continued stay in office. The reasons are as follows:

ONE: WEAK LEADERSHIP

There is a general feeling that Dr. Goodluck Jonathan is more of an administrator than a leader. He is better positioned that can only take instructions rather than initiate new ideas, which is the hallmark of true leadership. As a Deputy Governor, he performed excellently as Alamieyeseigha’s errand boy. Now Dr. Goodluck Jonathan cannot even control his wife Dame Patience Jonathan, who is now a wedge between the Vice President and his followers. A man who cannot control his wife cannot be competent to preside over the affairs of 140 million people.

TWO: FALSE ASSET DECLARATION

There are wide spread rumours that the Vice President lied during his Asset Declaration. There are more than two gigantic hotels belonging to the Vice-President, which were not declared to the Code of Conduct Bureau. His wife Dame Patience Jonathan has a Hotel in Otuoke and three Housing Estates in Port Harcourt. She also hijacked properties meant for the Poverty Alleviation Programme in the State. Among the properties hijacked include: three 3 No. speedboats, 2 No cold stores. I at swali Yenagoa and the other at Twon-Brass. These were not declared.

THREE: THE N8 billion Gas Turbine Scandal

The Vice-President awarded a contract of N4 billion to buy two 2 No. Digital Gas Turbines. The contract value was reviewed upwards to N8 billion, but not even one Gas Turbine was procured. What Bayelsa people saw was the refurbishment of one of the Gas Turbines at Imiringi and no new Gas turbine was procured. It was a fraudulent deal Dr. Goodluck Jonathan awarded to an Ogbia woman, widely believed to be his girl friend.

FOUR:THE ANYIAM OSIGWE CONTRACT SCAM

Dr. Goodluck Jonathan in connivance with the then Deputy Governor Hon. Peremobowei Ebebi packaged a contract for one Anyiam Osigwe and Igbo contractor to build A 4-Star Hotel . Because of his financial interest in the deal, he rushed to commit the State Government into writing an agreement with the Igbo contractor. However, when Bayelsa indigenes got to know that the contract to build Yenagoa City they rejected the idea. This led to a consistent, sustained protest against the policy. When the VP eventually tried to revoke the contract, Anyiam Osigwe threatened litigation hence the VP was blackmailed to award a contract the build a 4 star Hotel at the whopping sum of N3.2 billion. While negotiation were going on, the value of the contract was reviewed upwards to N5 billion. There are insinuations that the value has been inflated again. This illegal deal must be investigated because charity begins at home.

FOUR: THE INFLATED FLOWER CONTRACT

The wife of Vice President Dame Patience Jonathan awarded a contract of planting flowers in the Mbiama Yenagoa road at a whopping sum of N500 million. We have two major problems with the contract. First, the contract was awarded to one of her cronies Mrs. Megan Bozimo. Secondly, the flower planting contract did not follow due process, as there were no tenders, bids and other procedures stipulated in the “Due Process Rule” or the Public Procurement Bill. The Bayelsa State Government and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission should investigate the award of contract to determine the degree of compliance with due process.

FIVE: THE ARUERA FOUNDATION N3 BILLION SCAM

The Aruera Foundation was established by Mrs. Patience Jonathan to siphon about N3 billion Naira. Numerous hotels projects built by the Vice President as a Pet project to assist the poor and the less-privileged. More that N3 Billion Naira  was paid into the Foundation, with no visible impact on the lives of the less-privileged. Authentic from impeccable sources indicate that the money was used to acquire choice property in Otuoke, Port Harcourt and Calabar and Uyo.

SIX: THE BIG COVER-UP

Contrary to wide spread assertions that the Governor Dr. Goodluck Jonathan left a healthy economy before he became Vice-President, the reality is that the VP left behind a huge debt of well over N28 billion – a reason most people blame for the slow pace of development in the State when Governor Timipre Sylva took office. It is surprising that the VP covered-up this mess when he publicly claimed that he was  committed to transparency and accountability. Another cover-up is   The actions of the VPs former Chief of Staff Mr. Moses Otazi also betrayed his boss. He is believed to have stashed away the sum of N150 Million in the country home of his wife at Ewio but luck ran out of him as a local mafia group broke into the safe and made away with the loot. The man was obviously scared of lodging his lucre in the bank. Mr. Otazi we were told is not bank-friendly. This scam was also covered-up.

SEVEN: THE NEMBE-BRASS ROAD CLEARANCE SCANDAL

As Governance of Bayelsa State Dr. Goodluck Jonathan awarded the contract of clearing the Nembe Brass Road to a serving Senator one Chief Barigha Amange at a whopping sum of N530 million. We were reliably informed that apart from the contract sum being paid up front, the job was shoddily done due largely to the fact that there was neither survey nor soil test. A Chief from the Nembe Community also informed us that prior to the award of the said contract the Nembe Chiefs Council had protested to Dr. Jonathan never to award the contract to the suspended Chief Amange because he was already from the community and was bent on destabilizing the community. But the Vice President did not heed the advise this contract and the mode of its award did not follow due process as it was compensatory, essentially to enable the beneficiary raise money for electioneering campaigns.

The VP is like a chameleon that changes his colours but has been engaging in mindless looting. He is a weak leader and cannot control him home. He is not assertive, firm and lacks the mien to be President of Nigeria. If anything happens to President Umar Musa Yar’Adua, the VP should be forced to resign.

Eghosa Imogie is of the Institute of Humanitarian and Human Rights Law, Port Harcourt

Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 21, 2009
Unfortunately we don't have the luxury to vet the Vice President right now

The number one rule to choosing a VP is to choose someone who can step in if any emergency arises, as such the VP is vetted on the same standard as the commander-in-chief. So we could only question his abilities when he was selected in 2007 and hence question President Yar'adua's judgement on National Security if we consider his VP weak.

The next time we have an opportunity to ask the same questions is in the run up to 2011 election if Yar'adua returns to power healthier.

We can only hope for the best, I don't expect much from the man, I was expecting that Yar'adua would have selected Donald Duke for VP. But for now we can only keep our fingers crossed if Jonathan becomes President. However I have no reason to believe that he will be more of a disaster compared to Yar'adua.

Right now defending the constitution is the only thing tha matters.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by radiovibe: 8:51pm On Dec 21, 2009
wow, I think we are in big trouble.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by Gbawe: 9:24pm On Dec 21, 2009
radiovibe:

wow, I think we are in big trouble.

We are and only the most optimistic Nigerian would think otherwise. The system of Governance in Nigeria currently is very predictable. When you are leaving office , install weak and easily controlled cronies who will serve you and the cabals rather than principled leaders who want to serve Nigeria and Nigerians. Selected men rarely ever become decent leader. Yar Adua pledged to be a servant leader. What is he today ? Anyone expecting anything good from Jonathan has not studied our self-defeatist political climate that is now making informed Nigerians call for the 'Jerry Rawlings' option.

What is responsible for how David Mark (senate President) has so far prevented even a debate on the Presidents health when the issue is actually of vital national importance? Is it not obvious that mark is a 'gatekeeper' for the cabal regressing Nigeria? Jonathan is a 'gatekeeper' too so How can anyone then expect anything of Jonathan when he is actually a man OBJ et al  put in place to just shut up and do as told ?  Even now , Yayale is more a de facto President than the VP !!! If Jonathan becomes President nothing will change and things will possibly get worse.

Yar Adua is stubborn and principled even if it is warped principles . Jonathan , IMO , is entirely unprincipled and a total weakling with no allegiance to anything or anyone. It will be interesting to see how he will handle the bullying he will recieve from the various power factions. Let us not forget that Jonathan is a Southerner who is about to gain a Presidency zoned to the North . They will insist on controlling him from the background and he will not resist . Yar Adua, even if physically weak , is by far mentally stronger than Jonathan. Yar Adua stood up to OBJ , a notorious bully, fairly early in his Presidency at a time he had not even consolidated  power !!! He turfed out Andy Ubah , OBJ's 'son' !!!

Jonathan , on the other hand has shown weakness, indecisiveness and subservience all his political life. He will be a tool in the hands of those who do not want Nigeria to do well because he has never shown the passion  for effective and people-driven leadership at any stage in his political career.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by ozalogbo: 9:31pm On Dec 21, 2009
Jonathan has never contested an election. It was thru his goodluck that he became ggovenor of bayelsa. It was also thru sheer goodluck that he became VP. Maybe goodluck may see him became President
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by radiovibe: 2:50pm On Dec 22, 2009
thats actually true, he never one his way through anything.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by morgist(m): 3:01pm On Dec 22, 2009
good luck will surely suck he will merge with PDP and defraud nigeria, and aalso he is from the south
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by Lagosboy: 3:18pm On Dec 22, 2009
The problem with Nigeria is we have never had an elected president who actually wanted to be president and had a clear vision and programme before assuming office. The only exception is the first republic of course.

2nd republicShagari - was drafted into the race by pressure , he was a simple minded teacher. Awolowo who had a "vision or programme" never won

3rd republic - None of the candidates succedeed and MKO was robbed. Shonekan emerged from no where and just woke up and found himself head of state.

4th republic - Falae,Ekwueme, Bola Ige and others who actually wanted to be president with their own "programmes" did not emerge but OBJ was drafted in and rigged into power.

2007 - Atiku and Buhari who wanted to be president never emerged but our Yaradua was drafted in from mere obscurity in Katsina to be our president.

2009 - It seems our dear univeristy don 9 years ago is about to be president out of good luck, without any plan, programme or vision.

I also do not think Nigeria has ever had a duly elected president since the first republic.

A man with no vision or programme but found himself as president in my opinion can never make a good leader. He will spend all his time trying to formulte policy and will never have the time to implement it.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by Gbawe: 7:37pm On Dec 22, 2009
Lagosboy:

The problem with Nigeria is we have never had an elected president who actually wanted to be president and had a clear vision and programme before assuming office. The only exception is the first republic of course.

2nd republicShagari - was drafted into the race by pressure , he was a simple minded teacher. Awolowo who had a "vision or programme" never won

3rd republic - None of the candidates succedeed and MKO was robbed. Shonekan emerged from no where and just woke up and found himself head of state.

4th republic - Falae,Ekwueme, Bola Ige and others who actually wanted to be president with their own "programmes" did not emerge but OBJ was drafted in and rigged into power.

2007 - Atiku and Buhari who wanted to be president never emerged but our Yaradua was drafted in from mere obscurity in Katsina to be our president.

2009 - It seems our dear univeristy don 9 years ago is about to be president out of good luck, without any plan, programme or vision.

I also do not think Nigeria has ever had a duly elected president since the first republic.

A man with no vision or programme but found himself as president in my opinion can never make a good leader. He will spend all his time trying to formulte policy and will never have the time to implement it.

Good analysis and excellent conclusion.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by lammie01: 1:37pm On Dec 23, 2009
How can we then have a President with an ambition and was subsequently duly elected. Iwu will never make us realise this dream , neither will the ruling party , me thinks the future is incredibly bleak.
Re: ****[POLL]**** Do You Have Faith That Your VP Will Make A Good President? by Lagosboy: 4:46pm On Dec 24, 2009
Jonathan aparently is was tricked by Aondoaka to assume the mantle , but he did not fall for the trick as the legality of the premise was in doubt.

(1) (Reply)

2011: Alao-akala Has Not Provided Desired Leadership For Oyo Pdp, Says Senate Le / Nstional Assembly Gives Usa 7-day Ultimatum On Terror List / Yaradua Still In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.