Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,325 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Is Religion Affecting Nigeria's Developments - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Religion Affecting Nigeria's Developments (358 Views)

How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? / Is Religion The Problem Of The World? / Is Religion Really The Problem of Nigeria? (if Yes Then How) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Religion Affecting Nigeria's Developments by African101(m): 1:26pm On Mar 23, 2017
Fellow nairalanders, I am not writing this to cause tribalism nor discriminate against any religion and i won't want us to see this as avenue to abuse each other. I am writing this to seek everyone's opinion.
I am just wondering why Nigeria with almost all citizen are either Christian or Muslim but no positive contributions except to fight each other especially during elections, According to 2001 report from The World Factbook by CIA, about 50% of Nigeria's population is Muslim, 40% are Christians, the 2008 MEASURE Demographic and Health Survey (DHS) found 53% Muslim, 45% Christian. Why is Nigeria lagging behind while those who brought religion to us are progressing. What can we say about the 2% christian population in Isreal where Christianity originated from, even Saudi Arabia where Islam originated from is known for human rights violation according to Wikipedia. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabian law does not recognize religious freedom, and the public practice of non-Muslim religions is actively prohibited. Human Rights Watch reported that Saudi Arabia systematically discriminates against its Muslim religious minorities, in particular Shia and Ismailis. Muslims will say only Muhammed believers will make heaven while Christians believe Jesus is the only way to heaven upon the fact that hundreds of religion exists if not thousands. Which way forward Nigerians and Africans?
Re: Is Religion Affecting Nigeria's Developments by menxer: 2:09pm On Mar 23, 2017
The thing is everybody will go to heaven as provided by the religion you subscribe to. grin

... But for now, what is holding us back is our lack of understanding of how things work.

Can you compare Nigeria to any of those countries mentioned?
Though they (suadi arabia) also have religious issues, can we say we have the same developmental and/or infrastructural issues as them?
Re: Is Religion Affecting Nigeria's Developments by orisa37: 2:12pm On Mar 23, 2017
And badly too. El Rufai is too busy plotting against Suleiman, Southern Kaduna, PYO, El Saksaky etcetera.
Biafra is Religious too. Bokoharam devastated The North East. Fulani Herdsmen are everywhere causing untold plunders and blunders in Anambra, Enugu, Ile Ife, Kafanshine, Jos, Benue etcetera. Only the North West is exempt meanwhile These are the causes of our Recession. In all of these uncalled for waste and mismanagement of our economy, only the Yorubas are arraigned in Abuja. What an Insult on ODUDUWA Do these Hausa/Fulani always think that all Yorubas are Afonjas? Their Vaginas must be growing on their foreheads.
Re: Is Religion Affecting Nigeria's Developments by wirinet(m): 2:23pm On Mar 23, 2017
Of course religion is affecting our productivity and development in Nigeria. When our productive youth spend half of their waking hours in churches, Mosques and shrines praying for breakthroughs and miracles, how can we develop as a people.
You will see university students spend more time praying than in research related activities and you thing we can acquire the skills necessary for development.
Re: Is Religion Affecting Nigeria's Developments by donnffd(m): 3:30pm On Mar 23, 2017
I believe religion has a big role to play in our underdevelopment, Imagine when a youth is thinking about how the rapture can happen anytime from now instead of thinking of what he can do to make life easier not only for himself but his children's children.

The Religious has traded this life for the afterlife...

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Help / Gj / 5 Things That I Hope You Will Remember When Everything Seems To Be Going Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.