Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,839 members, 7,817,479 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. (4476 Views)

Why I Removed Enyeama As Eagles Captain — Oliseh / Woman Defrauds Osaze Of £70000 / Stephen Keshi Resigns As Eagles Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by Dube07: 5:10pm On Dec 23, 2009
Osaze is a natural striker/winger, i don't think he'll do too well in AM,

1 Like

Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by Dammyray(m): 5:25pm On Dec 23, 2009
Let him remain where he is jare
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by IbrahimB: 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2009
@Poster Osaze himself prefers the No. 9 jersey (just as you see in the picture).
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by Afroprince(m): 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2009
I have argued with a lot of people on this issue before, Osaze is very capable to be the no. 10 for SE. He will not only distribute the ball effectively but will also score goals from that position. He is not gonna be worn off cos the boy has a lot of strength and has shown it in his recent matches. I see him blossoming in that position. I would also want too see and Obafemi martins on the left wing of the field with Ogbuke on the right. I honestly think John Utaka should have been recalled or even the younger one, Peter who has proven to be a very deadly striker in the Danish leauge. The likes of Rabiu Ibrahim, Stanley Okoro and King Osanga would have been named to come show themselves during the training camp, these guys are the FUTURE for the super eagles. A player like Paul Obiefule of Lyn Oslo has been forgotten entirely just cos of the last encounter (He collapsed during the last nations cup, during training). Paul is a very strong lad and deserve to be given a chance to prove himself. The likes of Seyi Olofinjana, Femi Ajilore should be dropped. Mikel should be given the Defensive midfield role. In the defense, i would love to see Yobo returned to 2, Elderson or Taye Taiwo could complement each other in 3 or 11, if we insist on playing Martins as our top striker. 5 and 6 should be Shittu and Adeleye. Kanu remains a key to untying any stubborn defense put up by the opposing team. of course Ejide should remain no 1 choice for goal keeping. I actually see a Super Eagles that will surprise many come the World Cup and not the Nations Cup.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by semid4lyfe(m): 6:25pm On Dec 23, 2009
slap1:

@ poster. Let's clink glasses & toas[/b]t: [b]4 makin d front page 4 two times in 48 hrs.

Lets save the celebration [s]till when or if I win the phone section poster of the year[/s]. Hope you have voted sha? grin If not click on link below

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-370018.0.html

@ topic
Osaze started out as an attacking midfielder (Insurance of Benin) so he'll be returning to a familiar role. I still recall his first game for the Super Eagles - A match in which he captained a largely home-based team against Angola (I think) in a CAN qualifier in  Benin ,he played in that position, scored a penalty and even won man of the match for his efforts.

Sam Milla:

exactly what i thought when i saw her response,  grin grin grin grin grin

on a serious note , osaze is not fashioned for that role,
That role is reserved for reserved and cool headed players like mikel,
not speedy players,
you need to hold the ball a little longer to make accurate calculations before releasing,
osaze is good but on the flanks,

I beg to disagree. Attacking midfielders/playmakers like Lampard, Iniesta, Xavi, Gerrard  etc are fast and explosive players who don't dilly-dally on the ball unlike our 'beloved'' Mikel. Agreed, Osaze is very good on the flanks (which isn't his natural position anyway - He played point man for Lille and he's playing the same position for Lokomotiv) but he could be even better playing 10 and don't forget he brings something else to the table which Mikel doesn't give - An attacking threat and ability to score goals. Mikel is a good player but he's just too contented with holding the ball (unnecessarily at times), guarding an opposing player from the ball and passing. We need someone who can run with the ball, has passion & drive and can also score goals AND IMHO, the closest thing to that in the present squad is Peter Osaze Odemwingie
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by jude33084(m): 6:42pm On Dec 23, 2009
Sam Milla:

exactly what i thought when i saw her response, grin grin grin grin grin

on a serious note , osaze is not fashioned for that role,
That role is reserved for reserved and cool headed players like mikel,
not speedy players,
you need to hold the ball a little longer to make accurate calculations before releasing,
osaze is good but on the flanks,

yeh! like d one cool headed he's playing in chelsea and gave a cool headed backpass that led to a goal against chelsea. cool
my friend be SERIOUS!
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by honeric01(m): 6:49pm On Dec 23, 2009
I totally disagree with the motion of trying to use osaze as an AM, yes he's good and might be considered for that but he surely lacks one thing all AM should have (vision for clear cut passes) a playmaker must have this attribute, else he's not an AM. i won't like to argue now, so i would like everyone who think otherwise to go watch 10 of his previous matches with the SE. he's good at the wings and also good as a striker, but not a creative midfielder.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by godello: 8:16pm On Dec 23, 2009
Osaze is a very skillful player. I think his presence in d team gives other players moral.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by shilling(f): 10:19pm On Dec 23, 2009
That'd be awesome!!
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by shilling(f): 10:19pm On Dec 23, 2009
He's not perfect but he could be given a chance cos I think he'd do a better job than the current no. 10.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by semid4lyfe(m): 11:02pm On Dec 23, 2009
shilling:

He's not perfect but he could be given a chance cos I think he'd do a better job than the current no. 10.
Thank you! He'll do a better job in that position than any player in the present Super Eagles.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by honeric01(m): 11:38pm On Dec 23, 2009
semid4lyfe:

Thank you! He'll do a better job in that position than any player in the present Super Eagles.

And who will play his own role? abeg, he's more useful on the flanks, he should stay there. he will be totally lost in the middle and be disconnected. (HE LACKS CLEAR CUT PASSES AN AM SHOULD POSSES)
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by semid4lyfe(m): 12:18am On Dec 24, 2009
honeric01:

And who will play his own role? abeg, he's more useful on the flanks, he should stay there. he will be totally lost in the middle and be disconnected. (HE LACKS CLEAR CUT PASSES AN AM SHOULD POSSES)

Simple! We have many strikers c!u.m wingers in the team. Either of Nsofor or Ogbuke will suffice in any of the wings IMO and let me repeat again that he started out playing as a 10 so he'll be returning to a familiar role.

And how many of your AM possess these passes? When last did any of Mikel, Kalu Uche, Ajilore etc give a defence splitting pass that resulted in a goal? Granted, he's not the best passer of the ball but he's not a bad one either and moreover I'm sure he must have trained under that scenario many times. Examples abound of players who were turned 360 degrees (so to say) by their coaches to play other positions and excelled in these positions. Osaze playing AM won't be a positional shock to him. I don dey fear the kain coach wey u go be sef- very conservative, old school and stick to the same formation/first 11 in all matches no matter the opposition I guess grin cheesy
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by stanloski(m): 12:48am On Dec 24, 2009
Finally somebody is thinking!
He has actually played the role before. He was the mf creator when nigeria played angola in the last gameof the ANC 2004 qualifier, game ended 2-2 he scored one and made one playing from AM.

He also saved our bacon in the 2006 WCQ in kigali vs rwanda, match ended 1-1, eagles looked down and out at 1-0 but osaze moved to the mf and things started happening, he released martins with a great defence splitting pass and it was 1-1. The facts show he is capable. people who argue against it dont know thier soccer history. Amodu obviously doesnt kno his history also.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by honeric01(m): 1:11am On Dec 24, 2009
semid4lyfe:

Simple! We have many strikers c!u.m wingers in the team. Either of Nsofor or Ogbuke will suffice in any of the wings IMO and let me repeat again that he started out playing as a 10 so he'll be returning to a familiar role.

And how many of your AM possess these passes? When last did any of Mikel, Kalu Uche, Ajilore etc give a defence splitting pass that resulted in a goal? Granted, he's not the best passer of the ball but he's not a bad one either and moreover I'm sure he must have trained under that scenario many times. Examples abound of players who were turned 360 degrees (so to say) by their coaches to play other positions and excelled in these positions. Osaze playing AM won't be a positional shock to him. I don dey fear the kain coach wey u go be sef- very conservative, old school and stick to the same formation/first 11 in all matches no matter the opposition I guess grin cheesy

We don't have one for now except Kalu Uche but he also lacks that bite, so instead of trying to force someone into an unfamiliar territory, Amodu should either look for an AM or just switch back to our traditional wing play. we were never a midfield team prior to Okocha's time. we were best known to be a very strong team at the wings not midfield. and by the way, Osaze has been playing as a striker when he started with Bendel Insurance, even while he was at La Louviere and Lille, where did you get that news from that he started as a 10? in which games? can you bring back the memory, I'd be glad if you can point out his real position.

stanloski:

He has actually played the role before. He was the mf  creator when nigeria played angola in the last gameof the ANC 2004 qualifier, game ended 2-2 he scored one and made one playing from AM.

He also saved our bacon in the 2006 WCQ in kigali vs rwanda, match ended 1-1, eagles looked down and out at 1-0 but osaze moved to the mf and things started happening, he released martins with a great defence splitting pass and it was 1-1. The facts show he is capable. people who argue against it dont know thier soccer history. Amodu obviously doesnt kno his history also.

Man, you don't judge a player just because he was tested in a position out of no other option, JJ was the 10 in the match we played in Kano against Angola, it wasn't osaze as you put it. if you think you know Nigerian football history and that those not really in support of having osaze play as 10, then you are missing the point. osaze is a player meant to change games (in terms of adding more striking power), he's not a ball distributor, instead of pouring an old wine inside a new bottle, amodu should work on rabiu Ibrahim or Stanley okoro, but then it's too late. so we can't change things now until after the nations cup or even the worldcup.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by semid4lyfe(m): 1:14am On Dec 24, 2009
stanloski:

He has actually played the role before. He was the mf  creator when nigeria played angola in the last gameof the ANC 2004 qualifier, game ended 2-2 he scored one and made one playing from AM.

Guy, God Bless you a million times. I had all but forgotten about the Nigeria vs Rwanda game. Now that you've mentioned it I can recollect the pass he game Martins from midfield that resulted in our equalizing goal. Aaaaah, that pass was made in heaven and customized for Obagoal's legs cheesy grin Make I go find the vid online sef - I'll be back AND yes I agree with you a 1000%, Amodu doesn't know his history and capabilities.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by honeric01(m): 1:19am On Dec 24, 2009
Full Name Peter Osaze Odemwingie
Birth Date July 15, 1981
Birth Place Nigeria
Height 1.82m

Weight 75 kg
Age 28
Position Striker
Squad No 9

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=29362&cc=3888
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by honeric01(m): 1:24am On Dec 24, 2009
semid4lyfe:

Guy, God Bless you a million times. I had all but forgotten about the Nigeria vs Rwanda game. Now that you've mentioned it I can recollect the pass he game Martins from midfield that resulted in our equalizing goal. Aaaaah, that pass was made in heaven and customized for Obagoal's legs cheesy grin Make I go find the vid online sef - I'll be back AND yes I agree with you a 1000%, Amodu doesn't know his history and capabilities.

So because he threw one accurate pass from the midfield, he's now a recommendable creative midfielder eh? do you know how many passes Mikel has given most of our forwards so far, does that make him a creative midfielder? (he was before back then in 2005)
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by vislabraye(m): 1:36am On Dec 24, 2009
His present position for his club would determine where he should play for his country. If a player has been playing as a winger for his club, you don't change his position overnight
Osaze plays his best football in his present position. I doubt whether the number 10 role is meant for him; you don't need to be a 10 to be creative. He's a creative individual with alot of pace. Attacking role is more suitable for him,
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by semid4lyfe(m): 2:31am On Dec 24, 2009
honeric01:

We don't have one for now except Kalu Uche but he also lacks that bite, so instead of trying to force someone into an unfamiliar territory, [b]Amodu should either look for an AM or just switch back to our traditional wing play.[/b] we were never a midfield team prior to Okocha's time. we were best known to be a very strong team at the wings not midfield. and by the way, Osaze has been playing as a striker [/b]even while he was at La Louviere and Lille, [b]where did you get that news from that he started as a 10? in which games? can you bring back the memory, I'd be glad if you can point out his real position.

Man, you don't judge a player just because he was tested in a position out of no other option, JJ was the 10 in the match we played in Kano against Angola, it wasn't osaze as you put it. if you think you know Nigerian football history and that those not really in support of having osaze play as 10, then you are missing the point. osaze is a player meant to change games (in terms of adding more striking power), he's not a ball distributor, instead of pouring an old wine inside a new bottle, amodu should work on rabiu Ibrahim or Stanley okoro, but then it's too late. so we can't change things now until after the nations cup or even the worldcup.

#1. Kalu Uche is not a Natural Attacking Midfielder. He plays as a Striker for his club Almeria in the Spanish league. I've seen some games of Almeria this season and he was fileded as a striker. Hell, he even scored a goal from that position in Almeria's 2-4 loss to Real Madrid this Season. I agree with you he (and the others) lacks bite so why not give Osaze a try in that position?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalu_Uche
Kalu Uche (born November 15, 1982 in Aba) is a Nigerian footballer who currently plays for UD Almería of the Spanish first division, mainly as a forward. Known for his acrobatic goal celebrations, he is the older brother of Ikechukwu Uche, also a footballer (they are not related to two other players, Uche Okechukwu and Ikechukwu Kalu); he can operate on occasion [b]as an attacking midfielder.[/b]

http://www.sportspundit.com/athlete/1303/
Kalu Uche is a Nigerian international footballer who currently features for the Spanish club Almeria. He is a striker and is an important player for his club and his country

My point is if kalu Uche a Striker can play as an AM, why can't Osaze?

#2. Which traditional wing play are you talking about? Who are the natural out & out wingers in the present S.E? The bitter truth is wing football in the S.E died with the retirement of George Finidi, Tijani Babangida and Emmanuel Amuneke. Moreover, these days the game is won in midfield (the strength  of your 4 & 10) and not on the wings.

#3. I stated clearly in a previous post on this thread that Osaze played as a Striker for Lille and even now still plays in that position for Lokomotiv Moscow. However, he played as a 10 in his stint with Insurance of Benin. Haba! You be keen follower of our local league so you should know this or did you just start following the league yesterday?

Osaze played as an AM in the CAN 2004 qualifying match against Angola in Benin, Nigeria (That was the match he made his debut for Nigeria if my memory serves me correctly). He captained a largely home-based team in that game, had an assist and scored the equalizing penalty to make it 2-2 and qualify us for the 2004 Nations cup. The previous poster (Stanloski) was referring to that match and not the ill-fated WCQ match against Angola in Kano. Google is your friend- you can check out this facts assertions? Also, in the 2006 world cup qualifying match in Kigali against Rwanda, the Rwandans were running rings round the S.Eagles in midfield until Osaze was drafted to midfield, thereby stabilizing it and giving the defence splitting pass that resulted in our equalizing goal.

All this point to the fact that he won't be a stranger to that position as he has played it before and he'll easily adapt & cope as it's not an unfamiliar territory to him. Need I add that the Osaze of 2009 has grown in leaps & bounds and is a far better player than that of yesteryears. He won't be an old wine in a new bottle as you derogately put it.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by semid4lyfe(m): 2:36am On Dec 24, 2009
honeric01:

So because he threw one accurate pass from the midfield, he's now a recommendable creative midfielder eh? do you know how many passes Mikel has given most of our forwards so far, does that make him a creative midfielder? (he was before back then in 2005)

No, but why do you rule out the fact that he can be successful in AM position when the few times he has been played in that position, he has excelled? I agree with you on Mikel though. He has forgotten how to play as an AM.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by Nobody: 3:06am On Dec 24, 2009
Truely, Osaze is good bt let him continue wit his role cos changing it nw mighty affect his pattern of play.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by SamMilla1(m): 4:48am On Dec 24, 2009
This issue clearly underlines the death of Nigerian Football.
Mikel was a perfect playmaker in 2005, then mourinho Turned him to DM and killed him for us.
Now Osaze Won Nigerian footballer of the year with his pace on the wings, the clamour to convert him
him to Offensive Midfielder Becomes a discussion topic for people who like him for his looks. grin
Despite the fact that kanu is getting older, i still prefer him in that role.
Imagine playing Martins on that role too , he doesnt belong there.
Osaze can be used as a central striker or winger. period.
Put him in the middle and he is finished.

Football is not played that way. How about playing him in the defence ?
Promise Isaac is a good offensive midfielder. I wonder why amodu is ignoring him.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by honeric01(m): 8:51am On Dec 24, 2009
semid4lyfe:

#1. Kalu Uche is not a Natural Attacking Midfielder. He plays as a Striker for his club Almeria in the Spanish league. I've seen some games of Almeria this season and he was fileded as a striker. Hell, he even scored a goal from that position in Almeria's 2-4 loss to Real Madrid this Season. I agree with you he (and the others) lacks bite so why not give Osaze a try in that position?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalu_Uche
Kalu Uche (born November 15, 1982 in Aba) is a Nigerian footballer who currently plays for UD Almería of the Spanish first division, mainly as a forward. Known for his acrobatic goal celebrations, he is the older brother of Ikechukwu Uche, also a footballer (they are not related to two other players, Uche Okechukwu and Ikechukwu Kalu); he can operate on occasion [b]as an attacking midfielder.[/b]

http://www.sportspundit.com/athlete/1303/
Kalu Uche is a Nigerian international footballer who currently features for the Spanish club Almeria. He is a striker and is an important player for his club and his country

My point is if kalu Uche a Striker can play as an AM, why can't Osaze?

#2. Which traditional wing play are you talking about? Who are the natural out & out wingers in the present S.E? The bitter truth is wing football in the S.E died with the retirement of George Finidi, Tijani Babangida and Emmanuel Amuneke. Moreover, these days the game is won in midfield (the strength  of your 4 & 10) and not on the wings.

#3. I stated clearly in a previous post on this thread that Osaze played as a Striker for Lille and even now still plays in that position for Lokomotiv Moscow. However, he played as a 10 in his stint with Insurance of Benin. Haba! You be keen follower of our local league so you should know this or did you just start following the league yesterday?

Osaze played as an AM in the CAN 2004 qualifying match against Angola in Benin, Nigeria (That was the match he made his debut for Nigeria if my memory serves me correctly). He captained a largely home-based team in that game, had an assist and scored the equalizing penalty to make it 2-2 and qualify us for the 2004 Nations cup. The previous poster (Stanloski) was referring to that match and not the ill-fated WCQ match against Angola in Kano. Google is your friend- you can check out this facts assertions? Also, in the 2006 world cup qualifying match in Kigali against Rwanda, the Rwandans were running rings round the S.Eagles in midfield until Osaze was drafted to midfield, thereby stabilizing it and giving the defence splitting pass that resulted in our equalizing goal.

All this point to the fact that he won't be a stranger to that position as he has played it before and he'll easily adapt & cope as it's not an unfamiliar territory to him. Need I add that the Osaze of 2009 has grown in leaps & bounds and is a far better player than that of yesteryears. He won't be an old wine in a new bottle as you derogately put it.

I NEVER said Kalu Uche was An AM, i only said he's better in the midfield than Osaze because he's more skillful (dribbling) and better in short passes than Osaze, but they are both not a creative midfielder we seek for in the super eagles.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by honeric01(m): 9:07am On Dec 24, 2009
semid4lyfe:

#2. Which traditional wing play are you talking about? Who are the natural out & out wingers in the present S.E? The bitter truth is wing football in the S.E died with the retirement of George Finidi, Tijani Babangida and Emmanuel Amuneke. Moreover, these days the game is won in midfield (the strength of your 4 & 10) and not on the wings.

We don't have the natural wingers we had in the 90s but that does not mean we still can't play from the wings, we have alot of fast paced players in persons of Osaze, Aniechebe, Nsofor, Obuke e.t.c, these players can easily adapt to our traditional wing play (some of them already play in that position for us), so we shouldn't complain about not having a natural winger since we also don't have the midfield we once had in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Osaze has always been a striker even while he played in Bendel insurance, i think he partnered with Aghahowa before moving to Belgium, you should know this bro and not try to twist it. Osaze's first international game for the eagles was against bafana bafana in the 2002 nations cup and not the other way round, he was brought into that game after Kanu got injured and he ended up scoring 2 goals for us.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by princekevo(m): 9:12am On Dec 24, 2009
Nigerians!!! Una want kill the guy career now. He is neither complaining nor performing badly on his current position as a winger, infact he is doing the best job so far. If converted and he couldn't play up to the expection, the same Nigerians will come here to slaughter him.

What happen to Amodu going into Nigerian leagues for shopping of players. He has coached Nigeria for more than 2years now, if he knew he lacks a playmaker in SE he would have fished or breded up one. That is what good coaches does, they shop for plays for positions they found lacking. Since we cant buy one, we have talented playmakers in Nigerian top clubs. He should have fished one out, using him side by side on non important matches, until he breed him up.
Some one mentioned Abrahim. We all know the guy could fit in that position, but there is no magic for him to gain more experience he needed to contend with world class players when we have that mentality of, he is playing in a local leagues. There are so many talented players that has no opportunity or that connection to play in world top clubs. That doesn't mean we should over look such talents and let them wasted. Is time we stop searching for already made players, and start breeding the talented once at home with less experience.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by honeric01(m): 9:21am On Dec 24, 2009
semid4lyfe:

No, but why do you rule out the fact that he can be successful in AM position when the few times he has been played in that position, he has excelled? I agree with you on Mikel though. He has forgotten how to play as an AM.

Not true, it seems you only remember when he does well in the midfield and always forget when he doesn't, during the final game against Argentina in the Olympics, he screwed up the team because Siasia played him in the midfield. all i am trying to say is that Osaze should be left in his current position, he's good at the wings and as a striker and he should remain where he's very comfortable at. let Amodu look for a creative midfielder or just switch back to the wing play (right now, we don't have a pattern).

one more thing, i think Amodu should call Obodo, switch Taiye Taiwo to the left midfield, use Chidi Odia as our 2, that guy is skillful, very good and plays like Dani alves, with him as our 2, our attacked''ll be boosted.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by honeric01(m): 9:27am On Dec 24, 2009
Sam Milla:

This issue clearly underlines the death of Nigerian Football.
Mikel was a perfect playmaker in 2005, then mourinho Turned him to DM and killed him for us.
Now Osaze Won Nigerian footballer of the year with his pace on the wings, the clamour to convert him
him to Offensive Midfielder Becomes a discussion topic for people who like him for his looks. grin
Despite the fact that kanu is getting older, i still prefer him in that role.
Imagine playing Martins on that role too , he doesnt belong there.
Osaze can be used as a central striker or winger. period.
Put him in the middle and he is finished.

Thank You

Sam Milla:

Football is not played that way. How about playing him in the defence ?
Promise Isaac is a good offensive midfielder. I wonder why amodu is ignoring him.

Thank you but one blunder here, Promise Isaac is a striker and also play as a supportive striker behind a 9 but he's a waste pipe (age is disturbing him big time)
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by semid4lyfe(m): 11:37am On Dec 24, 2009
honeric01:

I NEVER said Kalu Uche was An AM, i only said he's better in the midfield than Osaze because he's more skillful (dribbling) and better in short passes than Osaze, but they are both not a creative midfielder we seek for in the super eagles.

I concede the bolded part to you but I disagree with when you say Kalu Uche is more skillful in dribbling and better in short passes - This is highly subjective and very debatable and I won't be in a hurry to conclude that Osaze can't be a good creative midfielder?

honeric01:

We don't have the natural wingers we had in the 90s but that does not mean we still can't play from the wings, we have alot of fast paced players in persons of Osaze, Aniechebe, Nsofor, Obuke e.t.c, these players can easily adapt to our traditional wing play (some of them already play in that position for us), so we shouldn't complain about not having a natural winger since we also don't have the midfield we once had in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Osaze has always been a striker even while he played in Bendel insurance, i[b] think he partnered with Aghahowa before moving to Belgium, you should know this bro and not try to twist it[/b]. Osaze's first international game for the eagles was against bafana bafana in the 2002 nations cup [/b]and not the other way round, he was brought into that game after Kanu got injured and he ended up scoring 2 goals for us.

[b]@ The bolded parts

I agree we don't have natural wingers like we had in the 90's and we've been adapting players who play as 8 & 9's in their clubs to play on the wings. The question should then be asked, ''Why can't Osaze be drafted to play as a 10 when we clearly lack a good player in that role?''. We have many strikers who can effectively play his role if he plays as a 10, so I'm sure he won't be missed. I'm pretty sure he'll do well. How do you want to get new results when you do the same thing everyday, ehn?

Please, Osaze has not always been a striker. Me sef sabi Naija footie small, haba! tongue I reiterate my earlier assertion that he played as a midfielder in Bendel Insurance. You of all people should know this and not try to twist that fact. HE CAPTAINED A LARGELY HOME-BASED TEAM AGAINST ANGOLA IN THE LAST GAME OF THE CAN 2004 QUALIFIERS IN BENIN, NIGERIA ON 21st JUNE, 2003. IN THAT GAME, HE PLAYED AS AN ATTACKING MIDFIELDER, had an assist for our first goal and scored a penalty in the dying minute to make the final score 2-2. HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER THAT MATCH? 

YES, Osaze played alongside Julius Aghahowa in Bendel Insurance but he played as a midfielder and not as a striker as you assert.

Osaze made his full international debut for Nigeria on 21st JUNE, 2003 in our last CAN 2004 Qualifying match against Angola in Benin, Nigeria.The match against South Africa in which he scored two goals was our second match in CAN 2004 and not 2002 as you say and that was not his debut match. Wikipedia , Goal.com and major news/sports outlets are wrong on his debut match/date. I watched that match on TV and I still recall it vividly. Please read below and take note of the bolded part >>>>

http://en.allexperts.com/e/o/os/osaze_odemwingie.htm
Osaze Odemwingie
Peter Odemwingie has an interesting background which makes him a truly international talent. Born in Tashkent, his mother is Russian, his father Nigerian, but he has chosen to pledge his allegiances to the Super Eagles of Nigeria.Odemwingie, who is also known as 'Osaze', is a slightly-built striker who possesses phenomenal pace and a fearsome shot. He has just finished his first season with French club Lille OSC, scoring four goals in 20 games and also featuring in the UEFA Cup. Next season, Lille will go into the UEFA Champions League, which is another indication that exciting times lie ahead for the 23-year-old.

One of Nigeria's promising talents. He is a versatile attacking player whose preference is to play as a forward, but can also play as an attacking midfielder or an out and out winger. Has silky smooth skills and control. Brings great playmaking skills to the table and appears to have an innate intuition for the game.
Club history

2002-03: Had a standout season with Insurance in the Nigerian top division. Moved on to Belgian powerhouse Anderlecht, whom he signed with after the World Cup 2002. When it was evident he was going to play for the B-team during his first season, he left them to sign for La Louviere just a few weeks into the season. Suffered a broken jaw before debuting for his new club and was out of action for a few months.

Helped La Louviere reach the final of the Belgian Cup by scoring in the semi-final against Lommel. Won the Belgian Cup with Raal which helped secure an UEFA Cup spot.

2003-04: Had an impact in La Louviere's first ever appearance in Europe. Scored in the UEFA Cup first round against Benfica as Raal got eliminated by the Portuguese giants.

2004-05: Moved from La Louviere to French Ligue 1 club OSC Lille despite interest from several other European sides like Blackburn Rovers, Feyenoord and Schalke. Had an outstanding season in Lille, winning the French title and advancing to the champions league. In the 2005-2006 season he finished 2nd on the goal scoring list in the french Ligue. He scored two goals in the 4 - 0 defeat of French champions Lyon.
International career
2002: Called up to the National Team for a friendly against Scotland in April. He did not feature in the game, and instead made his debut against Kenya a month later. Was one of 3 reserves for the Nigerian World Cup 2002 squad. Lived and trained with the team in Japan/Korea.

2003: Captained the Super Eagles in their final Nations Cup qualifier against Angola which ended 2-2. Scored Nigeria's second with a sleek second half penalty.

2004: Made the African Nations Cup team on the basis of a number of positive performances with the Super Eagles and also with his Belgian team. Scored 3 goals (including what was billed as one of the goals of the tournament) and ended up spearheading the attack in the quarter final (v. Cameroon) and the semi final (v. Tunisia). Overall, a very solid performance although his lack of experience did shine through in the semifinal as he missed some chances during the 90 minutes and then missed the vital penalty kick in the shootout that ended Nigeria's hopes of progressing to the final.

2005: Played an important role in the Nigerian World Cup qualifying campaign. Although Nigeria did not qualify for the World Cup finals in Germany

2006, Odemwingie has solidified his place in the national team. He know plays a pivotal role in the future young Nigerian squad. Alongside Obafemi Martins, John Obi Mikel and Taye Taiwo, Nigeria's footballing future seems to be in good hands.

honeric01:

Not true, it seems you only remember when he does well in the midfield and always forget when he doesn't, during the final game against Argentina in the Olympics, he screwed up the team because Siasia played him in the midfield. all i am trying to say is that Osaze should be left in his current position, he's good at the wings and as a striker and he should remain where he's very comfortable at. let Amodu look for a creative midfielder or just switch back to the wing play (right now, we don't have a pattern).

one more thing, i think Amodu should call Obodo, switch Taiye Taiwo to the left midfield, use Chidi Odia as our 2, that guy is skillful, very good and plays like Dani alves, with him as our 2, our attacked''ll be boosted.

@ Bolded part
Not True! This is the team list of Nigeria against Argentina in the Football final of the Beijing 2008

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=253333&cc=5901
1 Ambruse Vanzeki
5 Dele Adeleye
4 Onyekachi Apam
2 Chibuzor Okonkwo
13 Adefemi Olubayo
8 Sani Kaita
12 Ajilore Oluwafemi
14 Peter Osaze Odemwingie
11 Solomon Okoronkwo
9 Victor Nsofor Obinna
10 Isaac Promise

Osaze and Isaac Promise were the strikers and they played as 9 & 8 or 8 & 9 (I can't remember the exact order. Femi Ajilore played as the Attacking Midfielder(10) in that match, Okoronkwo played 7 and Obinna Nsofor played 11. Where did you get it that he played ten.

I repeat, the few times Osaze has played as an AM, he has acquitted himself very well.

Lets leave the Issue of Oruma, Obodo, Taiye Taiwo, Odiah etc and their positional play for another thread
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by semid4lyfe(m): 11:47am On Dec 24, 2009
honeric01:

Thank you but one blunder here, Promise Isaac is a striker and also play as a supportive striker behind a 9 but he's a waste pipe (age is disturbing him big time)

I agree with you. Isaac Promise is an expired log of wood and shouldn't even come close to our National team. Another player who irritates the hell out of me is Obnna Nwanneri. That guy is a pathetic excuse for a defender and I don't know why Amodu keeps inviting him.
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by ezan(m): 1:30pm On Dec 24, 2009
#2. Which traditional wing play are you talking about? Who are the natural out & out wingers in the present S.E? The bitter truth is wing football in the S.E died with the retirement of George Finidi, Tijani Babangida and Emmanuel Amuneke. Moreover, these days the game is won in midfield (the strength  of your 4 & 10) and not on the wings

Gbam! Will we ever find replacements for Finidi and Amunike?
Re: Osaze As Eagles Playmaker? Your Thoughts & Opinions. by honeric01(m): 1:47pm On Dec 24, 2009
semid4lyfe:

I concede the bolded part to you but I disagree with when you say Kalu Uche is more skillful in dribbling and better in short passes - This is highly subjective and very debatable and I won't be in a hurry to conclude that Osaze can't be a good creative midfielder?
   Yes, Kalu uche is more skillful than Osaze (try watching his games with his club (Almeria) and you will assert to that but as you said, we should leave that to be debated next time. the best we can do is to leave Mikel or Kalu as the 10 for now until we find another suitable 10, but we shouldn't remove Osaze where his position where he performs 110% better.

semid4lyfe:

@ The bolded parts
I agree we don't have natural wingers like we had in the 90's and we've been adapting players who play as 8 & 9's in their clubs to play on the wings. The question should then be asked, ''Why can't Osaze be drafted to play as a 10 when we clearly lack a good player in that role?''. We have many strikers who can effectively play his role if he plays as a 10, so I'm sure he won't be missed. I'm pretty sure he'll do well. How do you want to get new results when you do the same thing everyday, ehn?

my answer to this has already be mentioned above.

semid4lyfe:

Please, Osaze has not always been a striker. Me sef sabi Naija footie small, haba! tongue I reiterate my earlier assertion that he played as a midfielder in Bendel Insurance. You of all people should know this and not try to twist that fact. HE CAPTAINED A LARGELY HOME-BASED TEAM AGAINST ANGOLA IN THE LAST GAME OF THE CAN 2004 QUALIFIERS IN BENIN, NIGERIA ON 21st JUNE, 2003. IN THAT GAME, HE PLAYED AS AN ATTACKING MIDFIELDER, had an assist for our first goal and scored a penalty in the dying minute to make the final score 2-2. HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER THAT MATCH? 

YES, Osaze played alongside Julius Aghahowa in Bendel Insurance but he played as a midfielder and not as a striker as you assert.

Sorry, i mixed up the date, 2002 was Mali and 2004 was Tunisia, i accept that i made a mistake with the date, i still maintain that he was a striker at bendel insurance along side aghahowa, try to find out and you will see the answer.

semid4lyfe:

Not True! This is the team list of Nigeria against Argentina in the Football final of the Beijing 2008

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=253333&cc=5901
1 Ambruse Vanzeki
5 Dele Adeleye
4 Onyekachi Apam
2 Chibuzor Okonkwo
13 Adefemi Olubayo
8 Sani Kaita
12 Ajilore Oluwafemi
14 Peter Osaze Odemwingie
11 Solomon Okoronkwo
9 Victor Nsofor Obinna
10 Isaac Promise

Osaze and Isaac Promise were the strikers and they played as 9 & 8 or 8 & 9 (I can't remember the exact order. Femi Ajilore played as the Attacking Midfielder(10) in that match, Okoronkwo played 7 and Obinna Nsofor played 11. Where did you get it that he played ten.

I repeat, the few times Osaze has played as an AM, he has acquitted himself very well.

Lets leave the Issue of Oruma, Obodo, Taiye Taiwo, Odiah etc and their positional play for another thread

This was the formation Siasia used in that match against Argentina.

Vanzeki

Olubayo      Apam   Adeleye    Okonkwo

Kaita           Ajilore

Osaze

Okonkwo                          Obinna

Promise          

That was the formation used, Osaze was moved to the striking front when promise was substituted for Emmanuel ekpo. anyways, we will talk about the Obodo issue later not Oruma (too old and not needed)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Difference Between Messi And Ronaldo / 12 Reasons Why Ronaldo Is Better Than Messi / Why Do People Get So Crazy About Football: ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.