Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,720 members, 7,824,048 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? (2107 Views)

The Ugly Situation APC Is Trying To Hide’ / "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders / List Of Minimum Wages In Africa ''nigeria, One Of Worlds Lowest Labour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 1:54am On Mar 25, 2017
Based on the recent happenings in Nigeria,like the massacre,in Borno ,Benue,Enugu,Abia,Mile 12 last year in Lagos,now Ile Ife the latest crisis,not forgotten of Zaki Biam though,I begin to wonder in confusion, if Nigeria is really one Nigeria or trying to be one Nigeria.
What throw me off balance in my state of confusion is the current event in this new government ,such as the drama of custom boss Ali, the SGF,Magu's case and the current IGP Idris who called all Ile Ife,yoruba indigenes criminals.He arrested only yorubas and provided cover for their rivals Hausa/Fulanis.
Can someone educate me what one Nigeria means or what it means to be one Nigeria.
No insult please.
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by richeso: 4:07am On Mar 25, 2017
Nigeria will start making sense when we no longer see any group or part as Majority and Minority.
as a One country, one people. Majority and Minority should not exist in the first place. everyone should have equal right.

till today, in the east, you will see military presence as if they are about to fight war, you can't feel the sweetness of home when u keep seeing soldiers with guns in almost all the roundabout. come to lagos..as busy as it is..how many military checkpoint will you find?

till today, 80% of the eastern part are highly, i mean highly under-develop..you hardly can count any federal project. go and check with your own leg and confirm this.

Nigeria will be one when igbo man can be gov of lagos or hausa man can be gov of delta state.

for now.. bon 9ja.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by delishpot: 6:21am On Mar 25, 2017
It is trying to be 1 Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by LastSurvivor11: 6:33am On Mar 25, 2017
Good morning afonja, this is what we have been shouting. Nigeria is never one and can never be one..
As simple as that..

5 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by Emycord: 7:08am On Mar 25, 2017
The answer to the 2nd quest lies in the answer to the 1st. Until we first define what makes us one, only then can we determine why we must/want to remain one nigeria. But then still bear in mind the last statement by united nations concerning nigeria: that nigeria is a deeply divided country. The nigerian govt has up till date refused to respond to that statement

5 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 11:00am On Mar 28, 2017
richeso:
Nigeria will start making sense when we no longer see any group or part as Majority and Minority.
as a One country, one people. Majority and Minority should not exist in the first place. everyone should have equal right.

till today, in the east, you will see military presence as if they are about to fight war, you can't feel the sweetness of home when u keep seeing soldiers with guns in almost all the roundabout. come to lagos..as busy as it is..how many military checkpoint will you find?

till today, 80% of the eastern part are highly, i mean highly under-develop..you hardly can count any federal project. go and check with your own leg and confirm this.

Nigeria will be one when igbo man can be gov of lagos or hausa man can be gov of delta state.

for now.. bon 9ja.
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 11:01am On Mar 28, 2017
LastSurvivor11:
Good morning afonja, this is what we have been shouting. Nigeria is never one and can never be one..
As simple as that..
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by kingzizzy: 11:37am On Mar 28, 2017
Nigeria is still what Lord Lugard who created it made it to be, a forced union of people. Nigeria has never been one. If we remember, several tribes fought so as not to be included in Nigeria. Ijaws fought Lugard in the Akasa/Nembe battle. Igbos fought Lugard in the Arochukwu and Ekumuku wars. The Sokoto Caliphate also fought.

Sadly, all of them eventually fell to the superior firepower of Lord Lugard.

When Ojukwu tried to breakout with his people, the same guns Lugard used where once more employed to make sure everyone stays together "by force".

Nigeria is all about unity by force.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 9:02am On Mar 31, 2017
kingzizzy:
Nigeria is still what Lord Lugard who created it made it to be, a forced union of people. Nigeria has never been one. If we remember, several tribes fought so as not to be included in Nigeria. Ijaws fought Lugard in the Akasa/Nembe battle. Igbos fought Lugard in the Arochukwu and Ekumuku wars. The Sokoto Caliphate also fought.

Sadly, all of them eventually fell to the superior firepower of Lord Lugard.

When Ojukwu tried to breakout with his people, the same guns Lugard used where once more employed to make sure everyone stays together "by force".

Nigeria is all about unity by force.
you are not far from the truth.
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by mars123(m): 9:47am On Mar 31, 2017
haven't heard that slogan for a while now. What does it even mean? People are beginning to realise its not by force. Coexisting peacefully is a more realistic target than becoming 'one'.

What matters is a level playing field for everyone. Our leaders are lazy asf though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by kingzizzy: 11:37am On Mar 31, 2017
mars123:

All we want is a lawful, prosperous, nation where different individuals can thrive. That's all that matters.

Not possible. Have you seen where properity comes to a people fighting each other?

Nigeria has a unique situation of having the 3 largest ethnic groups in Africa, each of them over 40 million people. It is not possible to have 2 captains of a Ship let alone 3.

Do you know how embarrassed I feel as an Igbo man knowing that Im from a tribe of over 40 million but I dont have my own country? But Gambia that are less than 2 million are a country, sierra Leon is just 6 million but is a country, Togo is just 7 millon but is a country. The population of Gambia, Togo and Sierra Leon is not even up to half of Igbos but Igbos dont have their own country and are stuck in Nigeria answering to a colonial mantra called 'one Nigeria'.

Laughable

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by Mckennedy: 12:01pm On Mar 31, 2017
2016v2017:
Based on the recent happenings in Nigeria,like the massacre,in Borno ,Benue,Enugu,Abia,Mile 12 last year in Lagos,now Ile Ife the latest crisis,not forgotten of Zaki Biam though,I begin to wonder in confusion, if Nigeria is really one Nigeria or trying to be one Nigeria.
What throw me off balance in my state of confusion is the current event in this new government ,such as the drama of custom boss Ali, the SGF,Magu's case and the current IGP Idris who called all Ile Ife,yoruba indigenes criminals.He arrested only yorubas and provided cover for their rivals Hausa/Fulanis.
Can someone educate me what one Nigeria means or what it means to be one Nigeria.
No insult please.

Good question....it is important you note that every man made creation has expiring date. Having said that Nigeria was created by a man called Frederick Lugard for business popose, First it started as Niger Royal company and ended up as Niger area. So what does it tells you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by mars123(m): 12:54pm On Mar 31, 2017
kingzizzy:

Not possible. Have you seen where properity comes to a people fighting each other?

Nigeria has a unique situation of having the 3 largest ethnic groups in Africa, each of them over 40 million people. It is not possible to have 2 captains of a Ship let alone 3.

Do you know how embarrassed I feel as an Igbo man knowing that Im from a tribe of over 40 million but I dont have my own country? But Gambia that are less than 2 million are a country, sierra Leon is just 6 million but is a country, Togo is just 7 millon but is a country. The population of Gambia, Togo and Sierra Leon is not even up to half of Igbos but Igbos dont have their own country and are stuck in Nigeria answering to a colonial mantra called 'one Nigeria'.

Laughable
im sorry i don't feel the same way you do. Its not only igbos that don't have a sense of entitlement. Every suffering Nigerian doesn't. Its no surprise that igbo political office holders don't speak in this manner because they have their own share of the national cake.

And Nigerians are not alone in fighting each other. If you were exposed you would know that this world is not a perfect place.

What this country needs my brother is a functional system of government working for ITS PEOPLE. only then too will having your own separate country as igbos be easily realizable.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 2:45pm On Mar 31, 2017
kingzizzy:

Laughable
you are on point.
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 2:58pm On Mar 31, 2017
mars123:
im sorry i don't feel the same way you do. Its not only igbos that don't have a sense of entitlement. Every suffering Nigerian doesn't. Its no surprise that igbo political office holders don't speak in this manner because they have their own share of the national cake.

And Nigerians are not alone in fighting each other. If you were exposed you would know that this world is not a perfect place.

What this country needs my brother is a functional system of government working for ITS PEOPLE. only then too will having your own separate country as igbos be easily realizable.
you are right,divide and rule is playing the major role in shattering the dream of one Nigeria.
Ethnic,tribal and religion is the key problem of the country.Any polithievecian is supported by his tribal,ethnic or religious members ,no matter how much they loot or evil commited by them,they must be hailed.
With all these,is it easy to realise ONE NIGERIA dream?
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by enigma3000: 4:12pm On Mar 31, 2017
if Nigerai is one there will be no need calling it one
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 1:21am On Apr 03, 2017
enigma3000:
if Nigerai is one there will be no need calling it one

By Omoniyi Salaudeen

Senator Femi Okurounmu, a die-hard awoist, is a notable leader of thought in the South-west. In this interview, he insists that the senate has the final say on the appointment of the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, adding that the president may be impeached, if he pushes his demand on the matter beyond his constitutional limit

Following the recent Ife crisis involving Yoruba and Hausa/ Fulani, the Afenifere accused the Inspector-General of Police of parading only the Yoruba as prime suspects in the clash. And he replied them by saying that crime does not know colour or tribe. How would you react to this?
The IG was talking rubbish. It is only when they want to be oppressive that they tell you all these beautiful things like crime does not know colour or tribe. But when Fulani are committing crime, at that time, crime will know tribe or colour. Whatever Fulani do, they go scot-free. The Fulani have become law onto themselves, killing and maiming people throughout the country, while the police do nothing.

It is only when the people who are the victims of the Fulani attacks react that the police will swing into action and begin to tell us all this nonsense. When the Fulani are the aggressors, the IG doesn’t see them as committing crime. If you look at the killings, is it not the Fulani who have been doing the killings? It is not Yoruba who are doing the killings; it is not the Igbo who are doing the killings. Most of the times, it is the Fulani who are doing the killings. And they do it with impunity. That is why we are saying: ‘Let us restructure.’ We cannot subject ourselves to Fulani imperialism. What we have now is a resurgence of Fulani imperialism. And unless Nigerians stand up and say no, unless we stand up to resist it, it will continue. It is time for Nigerians to stand up and say no to Fulani imperialism.

What is the implication for the unity of the country, if an important institution as police is seen to be a partisan party in a crisis like this?
They are supposed to be neutral body, but they are not. The conduct of the police is a reflection of the kind of leadership we have. Ever since Buhari became the president, he has been governing the country as if he is the president of the Fulani. We started complaining from the time he made his key appointments. All security-related appointments were mostly from the North-west. If you look at the security apparatus of the state, they are mostly Fulani. That is why the Fulani have the kind of impunity they have to kill people anyhow and get away with it. When a president is that partial in appointing people to security positions, then you should expect this kind of behaviour. And that is why we are crying for restructuring. We must decentralize; we must reduce the power at the centre.
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 9jakool: 6:03am On Apr 03, 2017
mars123:

Thank you brother. Even Togo and Sierra Leone are all colonial creation, Nigeria is not unique. Countries like the Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, and United States are all colonial creations, multi-ethnic, but they seem to be doing better.

The political establishment benefit from the tension between people because if they are busy fighting each other, then they can't unite together to stop them.

If we unite together and fight the people who have sold the future of the country, then we can talk about restructuring.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by Ahmadgani(m): 6:14am On Apr 03, 2017
Nigeria is not one and unfortunately not trying to be. Recent happenings showed that nigeria's unity is only on paper

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by Olu317(m): 7:34am On Apr 03, 2017
mars123:

What functional system will work? Since 1960, which was when Nigeria had her independence, nothing tangible worked for all the groups toward central unification of Nigeria. This was even during regionalism. And from 1970 till date, mention one thing that had made Nigeria United? Non because this is a forced relationship that won't see the light of day! The system will never change because one part want the status quo to continue in the like manner . Forget it. Nigeria is an aberration calculating all the years spent together as ONE PSEUDO AND UNWORKABLE COUNTRY. Who will make it work?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by mars123(m): 8:20am On Apr 03, 2017
Olu317:
What functional system will work? Since 1960, which was when Nigeria had her independence, nothing tangible worked for all the groups toward central unification of Nigeria. This was even during regionalism. And from 1970 till date, mention one thing that had made Nigeria United? Non because this is a forced relationship that won't see the light of day! The system will never change because one part want the status quo to continue in the like manner . Forget it. Nigeria is an aberration calculating all the years spent together as ONE PSEUDO AND UNWORKABLE COUNTRY. Who will make it work?
nice question. Maybe God will come down and make it work for Nigeria because the people are too blind and small for their own good.

Officially aren't we one? Don't we have a national assembly, united in whatever it is they are doing? Our judiciary and executive don't fight along ethnic lines do they? And this is the representation of the people isn't it?

I know a man who disturbed my ears for 3years against the APC government in Benin. On election day he became mobilizer for the chicken change they were handing out. So you should know that i don't care about what people rant on social media. A real life struggle for emancipation is what people including the FG will take serious.

Meanwhile, it is a lot easier to fight for Nigeria to become functional than to fight for Nigeria to breakaway because of the amount of people that will buy into your struggle. Igbos, Hausas, Yorubas. And it is only when we become functional (except you fight a war and defeat the FG) that separation is possible. As we yamayama so, bros another century go pass, we still dey like this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by RZArecta(m): 8:27am On Apr 03, 2017
Nigeria isn't one and it's not even trying to be one. Your president divided the country into 97% - 5% few weeks into his junta while his idíotic party classed those who voted against them as wailers. Fulani herdsmen and their cows have more rights than you as a human being while you could be arrested just for being from the wrong tribe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by plessis: 8:34am On Apr 03, 2017
Nigeria is casted like a betslip....
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 9:07am On Apr 03, 2017
Ahmadgani:
Nigeria is not one and unfortunately not trying to be. Recent happenings showed that nigeria's unity is only on paper
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 9:17am On Apr 03, 2017
RZArecta:
Nigeria isn't one and it's not even trying to be one. Your president divided the country into 97% - 5% few weeks into his junta while his idíotic party classed those who voted against them as wailers. Fulani herdsmen and their cows have more rights than you as a human being while you could be arrested just for being from the wrong tribe
for buhari to declare that he is not going to change his stand or decision about Magu being the chairman of EFCC,tells a lot about buhari's tribal ,ethnic and religious bigotry. If magu is from other tribe or ethnic,buhari wouldn't have made that comment,true or false? Is it possible for Nigeria to be one?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by Olu317(m): 9:52am On Apr 03, 2017
mars123:
nice question. Maybe God will come down and make it work for Nigeria because the people are too blind and small for their own good.

Officially aren't we one? Don't we have a national assembly, united in whatever it is they are doing? Our judiciary and executive don't fight along ethnic lines do they? And this is the representation of the people isn't it?

I know a man who disturbed my ears for 3years against the APC government in Benin. On election day he became mobilizer for the chicken change they were handing out. So you should know that i don't care about what people rant on social media. A real life struggle for emancipation is what people including the FG will take serious.

Meanwhile, it is a lot easier to fight for Nigeria to become functional than to fight for Nigeria to breakaway because of the amount of people that will buy into your struggle. Igbos, Hausas, Yorubas. And it is only when we become functional (except you fight a war and defeat the FG) that separation is possible. As we yamayama so, bros another century go pass, we still dey like this.
Officially Nigeria is One. But reality speaks otherwise. Are you looking at official arrangement or reality? If you stand by official arrangement, then it is till infinity. However, it is a time bomb. If Russia could stood and force herself since 862AD and proper establishment in 882AD,still collapsed in 1991 despite their military might. You better be a realist and not an ideologists like less than 0.1% governing Nigerians inclusive their subordinates who aren't holding any political positions. No country fight civil war twice and survive. Show me one unification of Nigeria entity. Is it the Army? Does the appointment of government agencies officials unify Nigerians? Do employment in Nigeria recognise the best brain without quota system? With all the noise making of Nigeria Army, how many modern military kit do Nigeria has to defend her citizens? What have you benefited as a citizen of Nigeria?These are the problem being thought about by some who see it as cheat to them. What about resource control? The ILE IFE crisis,do you think it wasn't an aggravated anger? Forget the political office holders in Nigeria because they are minority when the real issue begin. All of them will run. The reality is that no matter how they try, Nigeria can't be ONE. Even America democracy gives condition for self determination despite majority of them all being European stocks cum Middle Easterners,Indians and Africans. Do you know how many Nigerians have traveled out of the country for greener pastures? Brain drain is all that has happened and will continue to happen until the inevitable happens.The earlier the better for all to see that the day of reckoning isn't far. But timing is all that matters. Do you know it's all about oil in Niger delta? Do you know the expiration of oil blocks is 2017? Watch out for the unraveling from some people who are from another part of the country on how they will seek to get on board as owners of Oil blocks. Do you think PMB came back because he is healthy? is this the Nigeria you think will change? 100 years from Now, Nigeria Will struggle to have a steel complex despite iron ore within parts of the country. Common dairy milk farm or Birds Farm, Nigeria doesn't have what it take to feed her citizens . Nigeria is a false country and failed state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by juman(m): 10:31am On Apr 03, 2017
nigeria is not one.

Just trying to be one, while even the president himself is not a nationalist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by drss(m): 10:54am On Apr 03, 2017
2016v2017:
No insult please.
one nijeriya is an artificial lie phrase created to decieve pipul dat d con3 is one. nijeriya was never, has never been, n will never be one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2017
Olu317:
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 12:56pm On Apr 03, 2017
Olu317:
Officially Nigeria is One. But reality speaks otherwise. Are you looking at official arrangement or reality? If you stand by official arrangement, then it is till infinity. However, it is a time bomb. If Russia could stood and force herself since 862AD and proper establishment in 882AD,still collapsed in 1991 despite their military might. You better be a realist and not an ideologists like less than 0.1% governing Nigerians inclusive their subordinates who aren't holding any political positions. No country fight civil war twice and survive. Show me one unification of Nigeria entity. Is it the Army? Does the appointment of government agencies officials unify Nigerians? Do employment in Nigeria recognise the best brain without quota system? With all the noise making of Nigeria Army, how many modern military kit do Nigeria has to defend her citizens? What have you benefited as a citizen of Nigeria?These are the problem being thought about by some who see it as cheat to them. What about resource control? The ILE IFE crisis,do you think it wasn't an aggravated anger? Forget the political office holders in Nigeria because they are minority when the real issue begin. All of them will run. The reality is that no matter how they try, Nigeria can't be ONE. Even America democracy gives condition for self determination despite majority of them all being European stocks cum Middle Easterners,Indians and Africans. Do you know how many Nigerians have traveled out of the country for greener pastures? Brain drain is all that has happened and will continue to happen until the inevitable happens.The earlier the better for all to see that the day of reckoning isn't far. But timing is all that matters. Do you know it's all about oil in Niger delta? Do you know the expiration of oil blocks is 2017? Watch out for the unraveling from some people who are from another part of the country on how they will seek to get on board as owners of Oil blocks. Do you think PMB came back because he is healthy? is this the Nigeria you think will change? 100 years from Now, Nigeria Will struggle to have a steel complex despite iron ore within parts of the country. Common dairy milk farm or Birds Farm, Nigeria doesn't have what it take to feed her citizens . Nigeria is a false country and failed state.
you are observant.you made a lot of points
Re: Is Nigeria One Nigeria Or Nigeria Is Trying To Be One Nigeria? by 2016v2017: 12:57pm On Apr 03, 2017
drss:
one nijeriya is an artificial lie phrase created to decieve pipul dat d con3 is one. nijeriya was never, has never been, n will never be one.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra:I’m Not Deceiving Igbos,Governor Okorocha Has Mental Problem–Nnamdi Kanu / EFCC Arrests Ex-akwa Ibom Governor, Senator Akpabio 2015, what has changed? / Air Nigeria Make It's First Test Flight From Abuja To Daura,katsina (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.