Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,119 members, 7,953,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:24 PM

‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers (14079 Views)

Court Grants Victor Giadom Access To Operate As APC Acting Chairman / Constitution Has No Provision For Impeachment Of Acting President / EFCC Act Makes It Compulsory To Expose The Owner Of The Ikoyi N15bn Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by fakati(m): 9:30am On Mar 26, 2017
As far as the masses is concerned Magu is the best man for this job at the moment so,the senate should confirm him if they have nothing to fear.
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by UltraLeslie1: 9:30am On Mar 26, 2017
HungerBAD:
By Joseph Onyekwere (Lagos) and Azimazi Momoh Jimoh (Abuja) | 26 March 2017 | 4:33 am

https://guardian.ng/news/no-provision-for-acting-chairman-in-efcc-act/
Buhari's legal rascality and obvious disregard to due process have continued to bedevil this country.

Never seen more more ignorantly stubborn President.
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by UnknownT: 9:36am On Mar 26, 2017
I wonder the section of the EFCC act that Itse Sagay quotes that says that President can allow Magu act indefinitely
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by donodion(m): 9:36am On Mar 26, 2017
This fight will be interesting as this ends in two ways;

1. The rejection of Magu be challenged in the court of Law, based on "The report of. DSS". This is where the appointed lawyers must fight tooth and nail to discredit the report.Hence appeal against senates decision..Or

2. The presidency simply presents another character,capable and with good indisputable record to run EFCC affairs and equally handle the corrupt senate. Personally my vote goes to Nuhu Ribadu for another tenure as EFCC Chairman.

Late the game begin.This is the season for lawyers who knows their story....very well.

2 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by ROBO1722: 9:36am On Mar 26, 2017
Corruption fighting corruption.

The president should allow all the indicted in his government to defend themselves, this is way to fight corruption. But he is providing a safe heaven for them all.

Didn't the president acted on the DSS report against for judges? so why is the case of EFCC and SFG different?

Buhari and APC generally are liers and failures

I rest my case, make i come dry go first

1 Like

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by ademusiwa3r: 9:42am On Mar 26, 2017
Nigercting
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by tete7000(m): 10:03am On Mar 26, 2017
freeze001:
This is what I've always said. The power of appointment by the president in this regard is subject to the confirmation of the Senate! It is not the spirit and intent of the law that an appointee remains in acting capacity ad infinitum especially when the supervening 'leg' of the appointment has been sought and lost! The moment Mr Magu was presented to the Senate, his appointment became subject to the confirmation or rejection of the Senate.

Mr President or his handlers, since he's too sick to even care, should nominate another EFCC head and let the appointment be confirmed by the Senate. Besides, Magu is not d only or most qualified to head the EFCC.

Let the corrupt anti-corruption committee headed by Itsey Sagay keeps deceiving the President. How can anyone in his right sense ( a constitutional lawyer for that matter) keeps saying Magu can act indefinitely? Why the need for his confirmation at all if he can remain in office against his rejection? Nigeria is full of drama.

1 Like

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by vertueptime: 10:34am On Mar 26, 2017
Wats FTC?
eezeribe:
Magu's case is simply 'corruption fighting back'.
The 'Demons' that hold Nigeria are too strong.If you can't beat them...

I DEDICATE this FTC to the late Dr.Allwell orji(AKA Mpompo).
People are free to talk thrash,it's just a sign of ignorance.
Rest in peace Brother.
May God give Aunty Rose,Bubu and Kc the strength to carry on.

ADIEU!!!!!!!!!
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by sephryneyo(m): 10:38am On Mar 26, 2017
Autocracy, tyranny nepotism and directionless government
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by sephryneyo(m): 10:39am On Mar 26, 2017
Autocratic tyrannical nepotism and directionless government
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Laid2001: 10:41am On Mar 26, 2017
Did anyone know these so called senior lawyers!!

And am i the only one who Noticed all the so called lawyers are Liepods from the same section of the country!!!

Who are these lawyers when the likes of Falana and prof Nwabueze have spoken.
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by nwakibie3(m): 10:51am On Mar 26, 2017
ademusiwa3r:
Nigeria lawyers are not well educated, all appointments either in the public or private sector are subject to acting

Acting till infinity
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Victorclean1: 10:51am On Mar 26, 2017
One sided corruption in a fantastically corrupt country. The truth is that Nigeria is not yet ready to fight corruption. Those targeted were few that fall out of Government or the opposition. From Obasanjo, Nnamani, Jonathan, Tinubu, Atiku, Abdulsalami to Theophylus Danjuma to all ex Governors should be prosecute
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by drss(m): 11:09am On Mar 26, 2017
Joephat:
Will magu's appointment pay for this sardine I just bought?

If not I will just mind my business
abeg wia is d link to dat london story
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by ExInferis(m): 11:18am On Mar 26, 2017
ZombieTERROR:

Why did ur brother jump ?

MMM
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by soldierdollar(m): 11:36am On Mar 26, 2017
duni04:
They will always get biafran lawyers to come out with stupid conclusions like this. There is nothing illegal about Magu's satus as Acting chairman!
Na only Biafran lawyers you see for the news?
This Biafran stuff de really give people nightmare

1 Like

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by guychidile: 11:40am On Mar 26, 2017
let them hear...!
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 26, 2017
President Buhari and his cabal have looted all the recovered funds from non- APC members, they used Magu to do a deity jobs, as he was about to go after Lawal "the grass cutter". They are now using the office of the DSS to silenced him.

My officials are not corrupt - President Buhari

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by VULCAN(m): 11:54am On Mar 26, 2017
Since this is a legal matter I was expecting you to quote the law.

Your personal opinion is neither needed nor wanted.

The law doesn't care about your tribalistic viewpoints. They are worthless in this matter

duni04:
They will always get biafran lawyers to come out with stupid conclusions like this. There is nothing illegal about Magu's satus as Acting chairman!
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Joephat(m): 12:11pm On Mar 26, 2017
drss:
abeg wia is d link to dat london story

Learn to use search engine bcz I kante wia it is..
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Solomon38: 12:18pm On Mar 26, 2017
bekpo:
These people calling for Magu's sack is either corrupt or they r under EFCC investigation. They quot the law blindly to deceive the public. Though section 2(3)of the EFCC Act give the president power to appoint a substantive EFCC chairman subject to the confirmation by the senate. Section 11 of the interpretation Act defines what constitute appointment, it provides that it can be either in acting capacity and or for a term. And in fact it went to state that the appointment in acting capacity can be done from time to time. This gives Mr president the power to renominate Magu from time to time. Which means he can continue in acting capacity till Infinitum. So, power to appoint and or continued existence of Magu as EFCC chair is exclusively under the whims and carpreses of the President.
..let watch and see but if this present government have respect to the rule of law best option is to shop for another alternative.
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Solomon38: 12:26pm On Mar 26, 2017
duni04:
......the more you fry your face, the more you fry your self. Sent yourself free by saying the truth...
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by VULCAN(m): 12:37pm On Mar 26, 2017
Thank you for quoting the law unlike the fellow duni04 up above.

If your interpretation is correct that means that Magu will keep going to senate yearly and keep being rejected yearly.

Am I to take it then that Magu is the only man who can head EFCC?

I want to believe that the constitution did not envisage that a president will keep re-nominating one man in the midst of a country of 150m people.

I believe you are also saying that a bad precedent should be set.

Any president from now will appoint anybody he likes to any (senate confirmation required) position with the full knowledge that the Senate screening is toothless.

My question is what happens when a president appoints an obviously incapable person. Magu seems to be handling his job well but what happens when a clearly unfit person is nominated by the President?

bekpo:
These people calling for Magu's sack is either corrupt or they r under EFCC investigation. They quot the law blindly to deceive the public. Though section 2(3)of the EFCC Act give the president power to appoint a substantive EFCC chairman subject to the confirmation by the senate. Section 11 of the interpretation Act defines what constitute appointment, it provides that it can be either in acting capacity and or for a term. And in fact it went to state that the appointment in acting capacity can be done from time to time. This gives Mr president the power to renominate Magu from time to time. Which means he can continue in acting capacity till Infinitum. So, power to appoint and or continued existence of Magu as EFCC chair is exclusively under the whims and carpreses of the President.

1 Like

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by DEEKAH7(m): 12:44pm On Mar 26, 2017
brownsugarxxx:
This senior lawyer fails to quote the act... arguments not solid enough

which of d Act Sir?
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by ZombieTERROR: 1:11pm On Mar 26, 2017
ExInferis:

MMM
U just guessing
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by freeze001(f): 1:32pm On Mar 26, 2017
Laid2001:
Did anyone know these so called senior lawyers!!

And am i the only one who Noticed all the so called lawyers are Liepods from the same section of the country!!!

Who are these lawyers when the likes of Falana and prof Nwabueze have spoken.

Since tribalism is ur problem, where is the Nwabueze u are posing with from? Besides u need to go and study Nigerian People and Culture so u know what tribes near what names, nansense!

2 Likes

Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Splashme: 1:40pm On Mar 26, 2017
spartan117:

Comparing dis govt with a snail is an insult to all snails bcuz snails move forward albeit at a slow pace, but dis govt is in reverse mode
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by seniwellsFX: 1:41pm On Mar 26, 2017
i am just wondering why no one has thought of magu's confirmation and the senate in this perspective. to me, magu's case is just like a circus clown sent out to perform to the delight of an audience, without the person in the clown attire knowing that he is performing as a clown. i can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that the president and commander in chief in the person of buhari can not be in the know of the said DSS report about magu,even before it was sent to the senate. i personally feel buhari himself does not want magu(reasons best known to him alone)but dosen't want to drop him directly. so he rather allow the senate and the dss to do the dirty job by making sure mr magu never gets nominated. if the president was never aware of the said dss report before it was sent to the senate,some persons would have been fired from their job by now,knowing fully well that such action from the dss is a direct punch to the presidents abdomen. in my view,magu is the circus clown,the senate are the audience watching from the front row, while the presidency is the sender of the clown. nigerians are watching from a far distance.. just my deep logical assessment of the entire drama
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by DIKEnaWAR: 2:13pm On Mar 26, 2017
eezeribe:
Magu's case is simply 'corruption fighting back'.
The 'Demons' that hold Nigeria are too strong.If you can't beat them...

I DEDICATE this FTC to the late Dr.Allwell orji(AKA Mpompo).
People are free to talk thrash,it's just a sign of ignorance.
Rest in peace Brother.
May God give Aunty Rose,Bubu and Kc the strength to carry on.

ADIEU!!!!!!!!!

Seems you knew the late Mpompo personally? What ailed him biko? Why are we suddenly resorting to suicide in this country?
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by SuperS1Panther: 2:36pm On Mar 26, 2017
When I saw the name of the names of the SANs, I gave up.

They are the usual children of hatred from the same region.
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Fmartin(m): 2:57pm On Mar 26, 2017
gratiaeo:
You need your head examine
really?
Re: ‘No Provision For Acting Chairman In EFCC Act’ - Senior Lawyers by Splashme: 3:05pm On Mar 26, 2017
tete7000:

Let the corrupt anti-corruption committee headed by Itsey Sagay keeps deceiving the President. How can anyone in his right sense ( a constitutional lawyer for that matter) keeps saying Magu can act indefinitely? Why the need for his confirmation at all if he can remain in office against his rejection? Nigeria is full of drama.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ambode’s Epe Division Monarchs Endorse Sanwo-olu, Advocate Continuity / Court Dismisses Bulkachuwa's Suit To Stop Probe / OMG! Lagos To London Is 5,000km & Jonathan Has Built 25,000 Km Roads In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.