Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,594 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria (19813 Views)

The True Story Behind The Halt In Electricity Tarrif Hike / Nigeria Faces Worst Recession In 40 Years – World Bank / Nigeria Heading Into Worst Recession In 30 Years –IMF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by noblestan: 10:39am On Mar 27, 2017
Despite recession and the accompanying hardship still biting hard on Nigerians, electricity distribution companies (DISCOs) have secretly increased electricity tarrif without the consumers' knowledge.

An investigation by our reporter showed that the Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) have already increased the tarrif for residential areas (R2s) from the previous N27.13/unit to N30.93/unit.

Attached below is an image of an elctricity bill delivered to a 2 bedroom flat household in Enugu town this March. The bill shows that the consumer is expected to pay N9,248.07 for “Energy Used in February, 2017” which according to the consumer was actually a haphazard supply.

Enugu EEDC March 2017 Bill

Before now, the EEDC with arguably the largest number of consumers in the country (serving Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Abia and Ebonyi states respectively) already has the highest tarrif at the previous N27.13/unit. This same EEDC has over the years tactically refused to meter the over 90% of her customers who are yet to be connected to prepaid meter billing system. The implication is that the consumers are left at the mercies of EEDC’s illegal estimated billing system which simply put, only extorts the consumers.

It is interesting to note that the EEDC is largely owned allegedly by an easterner, Sir Emeka Offor which begets the question; Is someone deliberately trying to milk his people dry?

Electricity consumers in the area has repeatedly stated their willingness to accept any tarrif rate provided prepaid meters are first supplied for accurate readings but the EEDC are obviously not ready for that and probably will never be.

There doesn’t seem to be any solution in sight as the Federal government represented by Dr. Tunde Fashola in the ministry of Power appear to be very docile. Recent statements credited to the minister shows that he is either helpless or clueless which is a very big disappointment for someone who once claimed that providing electricity for Nigerians shouldn’t be a rocket science.

With the FG not helping, who will bell the cat, then?

Tell us the situation of things in your area and share your thought on this report using the comment box below.

Source: http://360reporters.com/2017/03/electricity-tarrif-increased-recession-nigeria/

2 Likes

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by noblestan: 10:40am On Mar 27, 2017
Until the poor don't have anything left, but the rich. I guess

13 Likes

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 10:42am On Mar 27, 2017
The day that ani mal entered power, i knew naijas don die....

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by FvckShiT(m): 10:47am On Mar 27, 2017
fúck em
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Sunnyja: 8:11pm On Mar 27, 2017
This is was what I noticed since January in PHED.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Earth2Metahuman: 8:18pm On Mar 27, 2017
Make dem kuku kill us
Abi

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by AngelicBeing: 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2017
angry angry sad sad
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by BarakOkenny(m): 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2017
Every one of 'em sha wants to milk Nigerians dry, despite recession. Cold-hearted idiots.

1 Like

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Vizzim: 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2017
Rubbish... Absolutely Rubbish
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Ppresh2017(f): 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2017
Recession or no recession man must eat. If you need extra income to combat recession see my signature.
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by barracktalo(m): 8:20pm On Mar 27, 2017
Nawa o
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Kelvin1971(m): 8:20pm On Mar 27, 2017
God go punish this DISCO
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by coldsummer: 8:20pm On Mar 27, 2017
I said it fashola is not a human being

His anti people policies are too much

Ugly goat

Giraffes neck

Ugly legs

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by chloride6: 8:20pm On Mar 27, 2017
Please let them increase it. We have to face reality, if the sector is not economically viable, we cant have decent electricity.

Electricity is not viable at less than 11cents per kW hour.

I beg Nigerians to accept this hike.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by CarlosTheJackal: 8:20pm On Mar 27, 2017
I don't pay them again. I just give them 1k every month as bribe

19 Likes

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by kingreign(m): 8:20pm On Mar 27, 2017
angry
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Geesarki(m): 8:20pm On Mar 27, 2017
That's only in Enugu. Igbo's are famous in extortion. In Kaduna, it is still N24/kw. I just bought mine and we have 20 to 22 hours light every day.
Stop generalizing.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:20pm On Mar 27, 2017
It was Jonathan and his PDP/Thieves friends that signed this thing.

What ever suffering you're facing know that Jonathan cursed it.

Curse be on PDP

Said Baba

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by CarlosTheJackal: 8:21pm On Mar 27, 2017
chloride6:
Please let them increase it. We have to face reality, if the sector is not viable, we cant decent electricity.
You are still a dependant

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by jossy4joseph(m): 8:21pm On Mar 27, 2017
BEDC has since increased their own. You can't even recharge your prepared meter for 1k again it is now 2k upward

1 Like

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by mclorenzo(m): 8:22pm On Mar 27, 2017
Orisirisi grin
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 27, 2017
What about people bypassing the prepaid meter? Mtxhew
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by timilehing(m): 8:22pm On Mar 27, 2017
BEDC charges N34+kobo per unit for prepaid since January
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Einl(m): 8:22pm On Mar 27, 2017
The devil is not a man with a forked tongue and two horns...no...

The devil is us...

This ain't Britain recolonising us.

This ain't Americans enslaving us.

This is Nigerians doing Nigerians.

6 Likes

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Bawsse(m): 8:22pm On Mar 27, 2017
No b small thing
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Temidayo9(m): 8:23pm On Mar 27, 2017
Until you know the meaning of DISCO. U can never predict them
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by RosaConsidine: 8:23pm On Mar 27, 2017
Of course, all the Discos would be reluctant to supply prepaid meters because they know that their estimated billing system is a huge fraud. My dad has been trying to get prepaid meters for all the flats in his building in Lagos but the EKEDC guys keep giving aimless excuse after aimless excuse do they can continue sending people bills of over 50-100k per month. And we think it's only the public sector that's corrupt. Even the "footsoldiers" that come with ladder to cut light don't want you to get prepaid meters cause they they know the bribes they would get from when they come disconnect would be gone.

12 Likes

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by dfrost: 8:23pm On Mar 27, 2017
grin cheesy
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by petkoffdrake2(m): 8:23pm On Mar 27, 2017
Here in my place, the phcn officials came to reset our metre card to move very fast! If within 6months we'll consume a 5k card, now its within 2months... So pathetically annoying. But we don't av light here at all though... Tomorrow is our off day(black out) its turn by turn in my area... We're really suffering here... Heat unbearable and no light. Last two yrs we beg phcn to take light sef but since last yr it has been DIRECTLY the opposite.

Anambra, Onitsha Awada Oriefite
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by soberdrunk(m): 8:23pm On Mar 27, 2017
For light That they barely bring, make them kuku come take their wire........ angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adebo Ogundoyin's First Official Sitting As Oyo Assembly Speaker (Photos) / FUOYE: Another Eye Witness Her Experience / Become Our Consultant, PDP Mocks APC Over ‘close Shop’ Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.