Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,546 members, 7,955,024 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:44 PM

Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria (19945 Views)

The True Story Behind The Halt In Electricity Tarrif Hike / Nigeria Faces Worst Recession In 40 Years – World Bank / Nigeria Heading Into Worst Recession In 30 Years –IMF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by miccoy(m): 12:53am On Mar 28, 2017
Youngzedd:
Same to PHED. Here in Calabar over 100% increase.

Bros, small small!

It was a minor increase; less than 3 naira/KWH.
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by miccoy(m): 1:01am On Mar 28, 2017
SnowJay92:
I'm all for the multi year tarrif increments had it been the promised infrastructural development in the sector is taking place. Is there anything on ground to justify Nigerians paying increasingly for darkness every year? Have the discos added anything since MYTO began? Have they metered the customers as agreed upon? Are the regulatory bodies even concerned about where the money we pay are going to?

The tarrif is supposed to drop in 2019, let's see what happens by then.

I don't see any tariff dropping come 2019.

Believe me you, the discos are running at a loss. Huge collection losses everywhere. The issue of meter bypassing is very rampage now.

Some of the consumers scream "we want meter" what happens after them being metered?.... They bypass.

1 Like

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by miccoy(m): 1:11am On Mar 28, 2017
makavele:
somebody help pls

if i paid 1000 naira and got 187.5 kWH on my meter . .

how much was i charged per kW?
Which Disco? Or your location?

Because 187.5 units for 1,000 naira doesn't look Nigeria energy market. You are given units far more than the normal rate.

Maybe you're being refunded.
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by miccoy(m): 1:25am On Mar 28, 2017
Man2utd:
Dollar go down, electricity bill go up ..

What's the correlation between the two
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by RosaConsidine: 2:23am On Mar 28, 2017
yommen:

E be like say you no know say na the bribe for prepaid meter bypass sure pass! Unna go come nairaland start throway baldadash. What percentage of PPM do you think is not on by-pass in Nigeria?

What other bribe is there for prepaid meters other than a bribe to get it in the first place and have it installed? Once it's installed, you have no business with any human being except if the prepaid meter is faulty because the entire system is automated.
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Kingbuhari(m): 4:48am On Mar 28, 2017
buhari is a dullard what else do u expect I pay 18k for less than 3hrs light per day... abeg where I fit get MTN mobile light
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Youngzedd(m): 5:36am On Mar 28, 2017
miccoy:

Bros, small small!

It was a minor increase; less than 3 naira/KWH.

From 6,000+ to 15,000+

Does that look like small to you?
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:30am On Mar 28, 2017
Carbuyer83:
Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC) is worse. I recharged my pre-paid meter last Friday. Based on my calculations after tax deduction, the rate is about 33-34 naira per energy unit.

We are completely at these companies' mercy. The minister has embolden them to flout court orders retraining them from increasing tariff. Tariff increment is done at will by respective distribution coys whenever it pleases them.

Fashola has sold us out to these sharks.

Privatisation happened long before Fahola showed up.

And the price icnreases were written into the laws governing privatisation that were signed by the previous government.

You Nigerians should have stopped the thing when the previous govt heldpublic hearings on the matter. But we all kept quiet...and here we are.
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Preator: 7:00am On Mar 28, 2017
CarlosTheJackal:
I don't pay them again. I just give them 1k every month as bribe
you are part of the increase in tarrif then

1 Like

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Preator: 7:06am On Mar 28, 2017
9jakohai:

Privatisation happened long before Fahola showed up.

And the price icnreases were written into the laws governing privatisation that were signed by the previous government.

You Nigerians should have stopped the thing when the previous govt heldpublic hearings on the matter. But we all kept quiet...and here we are.
thanks
there is a document on NERC website called Multi-Year Tarrif Order(MYTO) 2.1 that list the per kWh price each year since 2015 to 2023(?) it allows for increase, then a decline in price once the sector stabilize. it may be reviewed once every 5years(major review). if circumstances warrant( like increase/decrease in forex rate over a certain limit(5%?), a disco may apply for minor review to push up the price. the document came to law when dollar was below 197.
by the way, the DISCOs nw pay higher to the Market operators too.

1 Like

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Mcreloaded(m): 8:14am On Mar 28, 2017
The government gives with the right hand and take with the left nothing goes for nothing after careful considerations they opted to increase the tariff on electricity it is either that or fuel which they know Nigerians will violently and vehemently kick against
For every good the federal government does it must take back its pound of flesh on the masses that's the Nigerian way
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Man2utd(m): 8:32am On Mar 28, 2017
miccoy:

What's the correlation between the two

It's just my personal observation, don't be offended.
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by CIII: 8:59am On Mar 28, 2017
Dear friend. It's good you're showing us the cost of electricity in other developed climes. But can you also tell us the per capita income of citizens of these countries? What is the standard of living there as compared to what we have here? They pay this much in these countries and get value for their money. Can we say the same of what these Discos are doing to us? In my area in Karu, Nasarawa State, power supply is in for two days and out for another two days. Yet I pay N5,000 monthly. Doesn't that smell of a large-scale rip off by these companies. If we must compare ourselves with other countries, then there should be a basic standard/parameter for doing so. Thanks my friend

2 Likes

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Swave4you(f): 10:32am On Mar 28, 2017
Mehn, not again.

Going solar/off-grid beats this roller coaster ride.

https://www.nairaland.com/3218934/why-dont-need-another-generator
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by DJMCOTTY(m): 11:31am On Mar 28, 2017
Like I knew the former tariff. undecided
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by makavele: 12:19pm On Mar 28, 2017
I am perplexed to and can't seem to place my hands on the calculation . . .
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Preator: 5:23pm On Mar 28, 2017
makavele:

I am perplexed to and can't seem to place my hands on the calculation . . .

EKEDC !!!

How do you mean refunded ?

Also what's d difference between the bsstToken and stdToken

you may be refunded for CAPMI prepaid meters. if you earlier paid for one
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by makavele: 6:37pm On Mar 28, 2017
Preator:

you may be refunded for CAPMI prepaid meters. if you earlier paid for one

well, one payment made, and delivered
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 28, 2017
miccoy:

Believe me you, the discos are running at a loss. Huge collection losses everywhere. The issue of meter bypassing is very rampage now.

Some of the consumers scream "we want meter" what happens after them being metered?.... They bypass.

You sound as if all the blame should go to the customers, there's enough blames to go round, when you look at the epileptic power supply in the country as opposed to the bills these people send out, you'd understand what I mean.

In my place they started mounting the meters on poles and other hard to reach places, to avoid tampering and by pass, which are very welcome development. Still I know how the staff of the disco in question frustrated the efforts of the contractors fixing those meters, and eventually they've sabotaged the whole thing like they intended, see we know where our problems stems from. You find ways to tackle challenges in business, not wail. How many people even bypass their meters? Where is the light to start with?

They knew all these problems existed before they took over these companies, don't ever expect me to fall for that pity party. They're running at a loss says who? for companies that don't as much as replace a faulty transformer.

2 Likes

Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:14pm On Mar 28, 2017
miccoy:

Companies that were sold off to them as political settlement, at huge losses to the govt. Why wasn't those discos sold to capable hands, they thought they bought milk cows, that it'd be business as usual, until power suddenly changed hands.
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by xdos(m): 12:24pm On Mar 29, 2017
I think it's high time Nigerians came out en masse and protest against the DISCOs. The DISCO 'Estimated billing' is the new corruption. I dont know why the FG has decided to stay in bed with them, Infact, if the govt wants to tackle Power instability in this country, they should first start with the DISCOs. They need to wield the big stick against against the DISCOs.
The DISCOs should be enforced to meter ALL their customers. If this is achieved, they will know that the only way they can make money is to provide energy to the end-users. The reason they have refused to improve their services is simply because of the fraud money they make via 'Estimated billing'. You can imagine MTN billing you for calls you didnt make. The Telecom network work day/night to improve services else they wont make money. Take a look at EEDC for instance, Every two months, they increase their tarriff/multiplier with no improvement in Energy distributed. Please tell me which fraud that is higher than this. So if the FG put up strict sanctions on our DISCOs and ensure they meter their customers else they wont make money, the DISCOs will have no other option but to sit up. They DISCOs need a very strong hand to sit up.
Nigerians should know that there is so much energy on our grid to be distributed and our DISCOs are busy rejecting this energy with funny irrelevant excuses. Everytime you look at the grid frequency, it is over 51Hz and yet people are in the dark. If the corruption in the DISCOs is not tackled, then power stability in our system will be a mirage. #peaceout
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by bisiriyubabs(m): 1:29pm On Mar 29, 2017
IKEDC are not better of, they are all d same, the billing system is so outrageous and unjustifiable and yet they complain non payment of bills by customers. For example, I live in a 2 bedroom apartment alone with my wife and kids and am being charged average of 14k monthly. Is this justifiable, some neighbors with several tenants pay the same amount I pay and u expect prompt payment from me. Although whatever amount am billed I pay average of 4-6k monthly. The best and most reasonable thing to do is for all customers to b metered.
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by mokset123: 6:52pm On Mar 29, 2017
MOORCHMOORE:
No mind those idiots, they think we Dont know what they did, the moment they remove so many writeup from the print copy, I knew they are up to mischief. Couple with the rate my credit sucks up.
Here BEDC increased from 24.08 naira perkwh to 31.27perkwh
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by petkoffdrake2(m): 9:39pm On Mar 29, 2017
miccoy:

Prepaid meter no get tariff adjustment button. They can only change the tariff from the vending point.

Dem no they adjust prepaid meters to consume fast. Check your load and see, also, if there is contact or anyone tapping your connection.

The PHCN people tampered with d metre and it stats moving fast! I know what am saying and nobody is tapping from us. They initially cut our wire for 4days because we got d metre and others in our street didn't.
Re: Another Electricity Tarrif Hike Despite Recession In Nigeria by juman(m): 7:07am On Mar 31, 2017
Confused government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019: How We Plan To Unseat Buhari – Moghalu, Sowore, Onovo, Others / NBA Sues Kenny Ogungbe, Hannatu Musawa, Culture Minister Over NYSC Certificate / Buhari Forecloses Lauretta Onochie’s Chances As INEC Commissioner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.