Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,562 members, 7,955,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:35 PM

Converts How Do You Now Feel? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Converts How Do You Now Feel? (1726 Views)

Church General Overseer Converts To Muslim And Gives Reasons / Former US President George W Bush Converts To Islam / Former US President George W Bush Converts To Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Converts How Do You Now Feel? by mazaje(m): 7:55pm On Dec 23, 2009
This is not about me (an atheists) gloating that I am smarter.  I am Just trying to state what I now feel.

I'm really interested in the views of agnostics and atheists here who once had faith and believed in the religion they were brought up in but have since converted to atheism or agnosticism. I just want to know how that change has affected your over all attitude towards life and your world view in general and your level of intelligence by intelligence i mean your capability of thought processes, thirst for knowledge, and actual knowledge of things. I say this because It is hard to separate out intellectual growth that would have occurred naturally with the passage of time and experiences regardless of faith and religion. 

When I look back on my religious days I feel acutely aware of the stupidity of some of the stuff I entertained in my mind and accepted.  Some of it is quite embarrassing to me I must say.  Had I not broken free, I feel there are so many questions and angles of thought I would have denied myself.

If I were a Theist

1. I would have believed and held deeply unto answers given to me by someone else and accept them as the facts.
2. I will be homophobic.
3. I would have been judgmental and disrespectful towards others by looking down on them just because they do not share my beliefs.
4. I would have been very superstitious and believe in things that do not agree with the reality I see around me.
5. I would be less curious about the origins of the universe and life - certainly less open-minded to new ideas and avenues of speculation. Because back in the days I was less curious and accepted everything I was told and the god did it mantra seems to explain away everything even though  the god did it answer sometimes did not explain anything to me personally.
6. I would have been somewhat anti-science - let's face it, it's a war of considerable animosity even if some scientists somehow are able to compartmentalize their religion and their work
7. I would have been depending on prayers to help me out when in need or in trouble.

Now that I am a firm atheist, and very confident in my atheism, I now know more about and think more than ever about:

1. Human morality and how it is constantly evolving.
2. Human beings who happen to be born in other parts of the world and which I used to consider the wrong parts of the planet.
3.  All religions and their social and societal impact and how they affect people.
4. The bible and the Koran(their origins and how they were written and put together)
5. Conservation and sustainability of planet earth.
6. Different cultures and different people and how the try to function as a unit.
7. I am now loving myself and my own intellectual growth.
8. The origins of religions(Islam and Christianity) I was brought up in.

I want to know how your atheism has affected your world view and changed you as a person. . . .so my atheist friends I will like you come come and contribute to this thread. . . .Thank you. . . .
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Yisraylite(m): 8:19pm On Dec 23, 2009
Bros How far?

grin grin grin grin

I hope all is well, I'll rather show an atheist love than a brain washed Bible thumping Christian  grin grin

Cheers! cheesy
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by toneyb: 9:47pm On Dec 23, 2009
Interesting topic. If I were still a believer I would have

1. Still believed in too much superstition like witches, wizards, satan, demons.
2. Would have been homophobic too.
3 Would have not been responsible for some my own actions and push the responsiblity unto imaginary demons, satan etc and blaming them for making me act in certain ways.
4. Would have been afraid of so many things and believe in so many anecdoctal stories that do not agree with what I know. Would also believe that there are some imaginary enemies out there trying to get me and stop me from prospering or becoming happy.
5. Would have still been giving my money to Pastors and their fellow church workers while believing I am giving it unto God.
6. Would have depended on others who know no better than me to help me in explaining all the things I see because they claim they have some divine guidence and knowledge.
7. Would have been looking down at others that do not share my beliefs with some sense of pity thinking that they are not saved while I am.
8. Would not have been too curious and would have accepted non answers for answers as long as they seem plausible to me or in line with my subjective beliefs. Would have been spending time apologizing for nonsense and irrational theories, doctorines and religious meme.
9. Would have been wasting too much time thinking about not offending some imaginary god and thinking about the after life and what will happen to me when I die. Would also have believed that the world will end during mylife time. grin grin

Now that I am an atheist I am now more interested in people, animals, the universe, science and the scientific process, and the origins of religions. I now take responsiblity for my own actions and I am now never afraid of death and other mythical and superstitious beliefs. I do things that I wouldn't be able to do when I was a believer, I walk alone at night, sleep alone in empty houses, walk pass grave yards on my way home without any fear something that I wouldn't be able to do before. Love life and love the people I see around me more, I don't Judge people any more and I am more optimistic about life and the Human race than I ever would have been.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by huxley(m): 10:39pm On Dec 23, 2009
Toneyb and Mazeje,

You guys have taken all the words out of my mouth. I cannot think of anything else, but when I do, I shall make sure I post it here.

Great idea Mazaje
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by mazaje(m): 12:24am On Dec 24, 2009
Where are the other atheist in the house? Will love to see your own contributions. . .
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by mamagee3(f): 12:46am On Dec 24, 2009
What converts are you talking about? undecided
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by mazaje(m): 12:53am On Dec 24, 2009
mama-gee:

What converts are you talking about? undecided

Didn't you read the OP?
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Tudor6(f): 11:05am On Dec 24, 2009
Nice topic,. . . . I very much concur with what Tony and mazaje have listed but the most important to me is I live my life without fear.

Fear is a very very powerful thing that can keep even the strongest man tied up in bondage.

Religious people especially christians in Africa are very paranoid people. Whenever I feel like it I rotate my sat dish to where religious stations are concentrated. Fliping through stations you notice they all have a central theme i.e how you're in bondage, the enemies are coming to get you, the devil can kill you, demons are responsible for your sickness and poverty etc. Looking at the faces of the congregation you can see the horror and fear in their eyes. The admiration and reverence they have for these men/women of god who can supposedly take on the wicked devil and tackle their enemies is so palpable. . . They'll do and believe ANYTHING these men of god would ask them to.

Even right here on Nairaland you can see them with their "Touch not his anointed", "Don't let God strike you dead", "God will punish you and your unborn generations", "Things will not work well for you"etc All these are supposed to happen whenever you criticize these men for the crooks they are.

Sometimes I just sit back and wonder what my life woulda been like if I allowed myself to be ruled by such fear. Few days ago I was involved in an accident where I crashed my car and it was basically a heap of metal afterwards. I remember a friend telling me I might claim to be an atheist but when faced with death I'd call out to God. Lo and behold when I was being somersaulted in the car, my only thoughts were "Fukc I am about to die how do I get out of this shiit". Infact I had not one single thought of heaven, hell, jesus, angel micheal or holy spirit neither did my mind go to prayer. Luckily for me I was able to come out with just tiny lacerations to my abdomen and legs.

If I were religious i'd have found a way to link God to my escape but had I died then my family woulda blamed the devil and the enemies.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Krayola(m): 12:34pm On Dec 24, 2009
I think people should just make an effort to actually understand what they believe in. I think people just accept what has been handed down to them through Church/Christian tradition. The creeds, the doctrine, the bible, etc. Some (or all) of those things are accepted to be of divine origin with no critical engagement. That is where I think the problem is.

If your faith is based on false premises, then it pretty much means the whole foundation of your life is a lie, and when it boils down to it one is just "lost". Religious people aren't necessary superstitious. People read all these elaborate theological material and get impressed by how "deep" it sounds/reads. They just eat it up and don't bother to try to understand how it all came about, and where exactly it came from. 2000 years is a long time, and ideas evolve and take on lives of their own. What you have received 2000 after the fact, especially after all sorts of imperial and cultural influences is far far removed from what is at the heart of your faith. That's just the fact of it. Ignoring that FACT isn't going to get you far. The truth will set you free. Please get your heads out of the sand, my Nigerian brothers and sisters. We have too much progress to make. . . this stuff is messing with our heads, BIG TIME!!

Just my honest opinion.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Krayola(m): 12:49pm On Dec 24, 2009
@ topic. . . I feel inspired, and motivated to try to be a better person. I really have been trying to improve how I conduct myself, and I do think my passion for religion has played a big part. Just being honest.

But i don't believe any of the superstition, just because I've studied the stuff and seen for myself that those are just the baggage of the time and space of where those religious phenomena came from. They are not actual historical events. No one walked on water, and raised the dead and is the word that was there with God in the beginnings and all that nonsense that people take literally. That's why I don't subscribe to it. I know for a 100% fact that all that stuff is NONSENSE if taken literally. Jesus, as a man who tried to make a difference and died for it, calling us to do the same for the people at the bottom. . . that is a powerful message and he doesn't have to be deified for him to inspire and move one into action. The rest is just magical wishful thinking that does not match up with life as I experience it. . . we need to delete all that stuff sharp sharp.

People adopted foreign cultures and redefined terms, imperial authorities changed stuff, early leaders had their biases, "gospel" authors had theirs, etc etc. Thats just the reality of life as we see in our everyday lives and to think that religion is free of human influence is just wishful thinking.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by DeepSight(m): 1:54pm On Dec 24, 2009
Tudór:

Few days ago I was involved in an accident where I crashed my car and it was basically a heap of metal afterwards. I remember a friend telling me I might claim to be an atheist but when faced with death I'd call out to God. Lo and behold when I was being somersaulted in the car, my only thoughts were "Fukc I am about to die how do I get out of this shiit". Infact I had not one single thought of heaven, hell, jesus, angel micheal or holy spirit neither did my mind go to prayer. Luckily for me I was able to come out with just tiny lacerations to my abdomen and legs.

If I were religious i'd have found a way to link God to my escape but had I died then my family woulda blamed the devil and the enemies.

Tudor, am really sorry about your accident. Hope all is well.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Tudor6(f): 2:08pm On Dec 24, 2009
^^
Nothing mega. . . . I spent less than 30 mins in the hospital and i've been running around my insurance guy ever since.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by No2Atheism(m): 2:10pm On Dec 24, 2009
@Tudor

- Sorry to hear about the accident.

- Let's wait to see if you get anything from the insurance people cus in reality, its their nature (i.e insurers) to do everything possible to make sure that you do not get paid. . .
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by mazaje(m): 2:34pm On Dec 24, 2009
Tudor my man? Happy new year in advance. . .Sorry to hear about your accident. . .Your really were lucky. . .
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Krayola(m): 2:40pm On Dec 24, 2009
Tudór:

^^
Nothing mega. . . . I spent less than 30 mins in the hospital and i've [b]been running around my insurance guy ever since[/b].
grin grin

Nice to know u're aight. Alleluia
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by wirinet(m): 2:45pm On Dec 24, 2009
Tudor, sorry to hear of your accident. At least i know you are alright or else you would not be able to post.

As for me Atheism came Naturally, no conversion involved. I think the fact that i was born in a riverine village deep at the heart of the Niger Delta is the main reason, i was not consumed by Christianity. I did not come in contact with western civilization and its attendant religion - Christianity, until i was 6 yrs when i came to settle in Lagos. I was baptized at 7 yrs in the African church (African version of the Anglican church) and i naturally coasted along with the religion without even giving it a thought. I also attended Catholic Primary School and Secondary School and also coasted along in all the rituals without giving them a thought.

My problem started when i was in form four and was now actually thinking of the sense in the whole thing, and i could find none. Once i asked the big question of my teacher of Who Created God, and the scolding i got was severe and the fear put in me gave me one week of sleepless nights. On recovering i decided not to think of the question again. By the time i went for A levels the question took over my mind again, this time with more troubling ones like what is the purpose of life and the universe. What is spirit and soul, and myriads of others. Then i was so disoriented that i was a very unhappy person. I searched through so many books, Philosophy, the Bible and eastern spiritual books , and still i found no answers

When i got to the university as OAU had an extensive Library. I sifted through more disciplines like Paleontology,  Religious history, World mythologies, Prehistoric history, and advanced astronomy and cosmology ( i had learnt basic astronomy in secondary school). I was reading these topics even more than my course of sturdy which was Architecture. And i can say by the time i graduated with my first degree, everything became clear as crystal and i have been living a very fulfilled life since.

I do not have many fears and have not had a nightmare for over 25 years, in fact i rarely dream. I am more a peace with myself, my environment and the universe, i have no fear whatsoever of death( except the fear of the fate of my family if i am gone).  I am in control of my life 100%.  My conscience is my God.  I have no enemy that i know off ( i just avoid people i am not in harmony with, but i do not hate them or wish them bad).

So that is a summery of my "conversion" story and how i feel.  I still owe Chrisbenogor my complete story though.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by DeepSight(m): 2:51pm On Dec 24, 2009
Wirinet -

You stated in a thread i opened some time ago that you do not regard emotions as physical things.

How do you reconcile a belief in non-physical things with pure materialist atheism please?
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by wirinet(m): 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2009
Deep Sight:

Wirinet -

You stated in a thread i opened some time ago that you do not regard emotions as physical things.

How do you reconcile a belief in non-physical things with pure materialist atheism please?

M deep sight, you and this your emotional physical things and non physical things, I could no longer see the direction the debate is going and so felt no motivation to respond further.

Saying that emotions is a physical thing is oxymoronic, because when you say physical or material things, i assume you are talking about Matter as taught is integrated science and there is no way Emotion fits such a description. Your all encompassing definition of physical things will include every word in the English dictionary.

There are many non physical things or terms to be more specific , atheist do not say the universe is made up of only matter, there is energy too, there is space-time, and there are infinite interactions between the three. But the problem i have with you is to regard every noun, verb, adjective  as a physical thing. To you words like love, kill, cry,  fear is now a physical thing, or are you only referring to emotions as physical things?
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Tudor6(f): 4:17pm On Dec 24, 2009
Thanks y'all Tudor is alive and well. It'll take more than a car crash to off me.

I must enjoy christmas and new year wella grin
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Image123(m): 5:03pm On Dec 24, 2009
Eheh, atheist and their companions are sharing testimonies of their belief. Omo, this xmas na bomb o! Man is truly a social animal. Dey go still do atheist watchnight service and crusade go follow.
@Tudor
i believe you're expecting this response, so I'll give it anyway. God still has need of you, that's why you're spared in this accident. I'm praying that you'll still serve God to full capacity. Only Jesus can save
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by ilosiwaju: 12:30am On Dec 25, 2009
My personal quest started in secondary school. I attended Mayflower school, founded by the late Dr. Tai Solarin. As much as he could, he made us see the nastiness of religion and how much harm it did than good. He had a classic quote:
if there are any witches and wizards, let them appear to me.
Even though jehovah's witnesses never intended to give agnosticism or atheism, their book MANKIND's SEARCH FOR GOD was really an eye opener for me. Buddhism really took my heart because of its quite honest approach to certain things, it encouraged skepticism, love for animals etc.

Currently, i focus more on being a better person day-by-day, dont judge people, have a brand new perspective on things, disposed fear(i dread snakes and violence sha oo grin ), am now concerned more about our existence in this universe, freedom from mental slavery etc.
the list is endless folks.

@tudor, u recently mentioned bashing your car in one post like that, dnt know it was quite a crash. You're fine now i presume.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Tudor6(f): 7:17am On Dec 25, 2009
Thanks bro. I'm perfectly fine.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by beneli(m): 1:04pm On Dec 25, 2009
toneyb:

Interesting topic. If I were still a believer I would have
1. Still believed in too much superstition like witches, wizards, satan, demons.

I believe in dimensions that are extra temporal and extracorporeal. This is not superstitions. Science tells us that outside of the 4-dimensional construct that we are familiar with are other dimensions that are not necessarily subject to space-time physics.

I don’t believe in witches and wizards. I do believe in beings that are not limited by space and time.

toneyb:

2. Would have been homophobic too.

I  am not.

toneyb:

3 Would have not been responsible for some my own actions and push the responsiblity unto imaginary demons, satan etc and blaming them for making me act in certain ways.

I don’t. I take full responsibility for my actions.

toneyb:

4. Would have been afraid of so many things and believe in so many anecdoctal stories that do not agree with what I know. Would also believe that there are some imaginary enemies out there trying to get me and stop me from prospering or becoming happy.

I am not afraid of ‘so many things’ either. I don’t believe in ‘imaginary enemies’ out there trying to get me. That’s paranoia and though common in a lot of developing societies, has nothing to do with being Christian or not. I have treated a lot of atheists who suffer from paranoid delusions.

toneyb:

5. Would have still been giving my money to Pastors and their fellow church workers while believing I am giving it unto God.
I don’t pay my tithes as regularly as I should. I understand the need for it, but I also understand that a lot of pastors misappropriate money meant for the things of God.  Misappropriation of funds is not unique to church ‘businesses. It’s a universal thing; found in every human industry irrespective of whether it’s managed by Deists or atheists. 

toneyb:

6. Would have depended on others who know no better than me to help me in explaining all the things I see because they claim they have some divine guidence and knowledge.
I don’t. I search the scriptures for answers. I meditate on the things I discover and study to show myself approved of the Lord. Ignorance is found everywhere, in both the house of God and outside it.

toneyb:

7. Would have been looking down at others that do not share my beliefs with some sense of pity thinking that they are not saved while I am.

I don’t.

toneyb:

8. Would not have been too curious and would have accepted non answers for answers as long as they seem plausible to me or in line with my subjective beliefs. Would have been spending time apologizing for nonsense and irrational theories, doctorines and religious meme.

I am very curious and continue to search for answers. My quest is to separate Truth from the embellishments and traditions of men. My quest is to find God true, even if all men are liars (Romans 3:4)

toneyb:

9. Would have been wasting too much time thinking about not offending some imaginary god and thinking about the after life and what will happen to me when I die. Would also have believed that the world will end during mylife time. grin grin
I don’t. With regards to when the world will end nobody knows. As an atheist you should actually be more concerned about this, seeing that an asteroid could hit us at any minute!

toneyb:

Now that I am an atheist I am now more interested in people, animals, the universe, science and the scientific process, and the origins of religions. I now take responsiblity for my own actions and I am now never afraid of death and other mythical and superstitious beliefs. I do things that I wouldn't be able to do when I was a believer, I walk alone at night, sleep alone in empty houses, walk pass grave yards on my way home without any fear something that I wouldn't be able to do before. Love life and love the people I see around me more, I don't Judge people any more and I am more optimistic about life and the Human race than I ever would have been.

As a Christian I am very interested in people. This informs my choice of a career in trying to understand human nature and its frailties. I am interested in God’s creation and with the new discoveries in science I am filled with even greater awe of his magnificence. God’s majesty humbles me.

I am not afraid of death because when 'I walk through the valley of the shadow of death’, the one I call my Lord comforts me. I walk alone at night (the neighbourhood I live in allows this anyway. Perhaps if I lived in the more deprived areas of London, I would have thought twice about this!)

I walk pass graveyards without any fears. I feel regret sometimes that so many die without quite understanding the Truth of God, allowing their prejudices and misconceptions to cloud out His light from their lives. So I feel regret not fear.

I don’t judge people. I understand that we are all on a journey. Those that are less fortunate than me, I try to offer help when I can because I know that for the grace of God, I could have been them.

But as Christmas has come upon us, my sincere hope is that we make choices concerning the eternal things not based on prejudice or because of some unresolved issues spilling over from childhood or relationships we’ve had, but based on the Truth that we have come to know. 

May the good Lord shine the light of Truth in our hearts and guide us all to the place of peace. Amen.

Merry Xmas!
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:25pm On Dec 25, 2009
First of all I greet you all nice posts.

My first year as an out of closet atheist and I feel like a million bucks, like wirinet I never really had an encounter per-say but it was a gradual process of rejecting things that did not make sense, I remember fully well the awe that struck my friends when I openly told them I saw nothing wrong with anyone who was gay, so even as a christian I was seen as a rebel. But slowly and surely I cast the fear aside and faced things head on, I was no longer going to accept things on face value I was going to reject every single thing that did not make sense to me.

If it did not hold in reality then I am not even ready to entertain it, I have seen myself grow and grow especially on this forum and I am now able to even make fun of so many things while skipping things I am beginning to find really unnecessary such as the oneness of infinty and talk like that. I am able to connect with theists around me and not try to convince them but just show them that I am not crazy to be skeptical. My relationship with my parents and siblings have taken another turn not for the worst but with loads of understanding, a simple I do not believe in your God is enough these days and I am usually left alone. Just last night a poor bat got missing and hit the window while flying and while I could see a stranded animal, my sisters were screaming blood of Jesus. . . . . . . . the stories are endless, I now know that I am responsible for my actions when I hurt people and I work hard to earn their trust and not hope that some imaginary being would forgive me for stealing deep sights knowledge box. . . . . .

Happy Holidays people.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by manmustwac(m): 3:00pm On Dec 25, 2009
Well i come from an entirely different background from u guys. As a British born and bred Nigerian from a weak catholic background with no dogma or indoctrination. My journey to atheism was pretty much straightforward. At age 14 i began to question my beliefs about Christianity and the story of a man creating the planet in 6 days didn't make sense to me. And the story of Noah's Ark dosen't say anything about the dinosaurs. I don't remember exactly when i heard about evolution although i was still in secondary school but i find that easier to believe, it makes more sense and i haven't looked back since.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by DeepSight(m): 4:42pm On Dec 25, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

If it did not hold in reality then I am not even ready to entertain it, I have seen myself grow and grow especially on this forum and I am now able to even make fun of so many things while skipping things I am beginning to find really unnecessary such as the oneness of infinty and talk like that. I am able to connect with theists around me and not try to convince them but just show them that I am not crazy to be skeptical. My relationship with my parents and siblings have taken another turn not for the worst but with loads of understanding, a simple I do not believe in your God is enough these days and I am usually left alone. Just last night a poor bat got missing and hit the window while flying and while I could see a stranded animal, my sisters were screaming blood of Jesus. . . . . . . . the stories are endless, I now know that I am responsible for my actions when I hurt people and I work hard to earn their trust and not hope that some imaginary being would forgive me for stealing deep sights knowledge box. . . . . .

I AM STILL CERTAIN THAT ATHEISM FOR MANY HERE SIMPLY MEANS A REJECTION OF RELIGION AND RELIGIOUS IDEAS OF GOD AND EXISTENCE AND NOT A PURISTIC REJECTION OF THE CONCEPT OF A CREATOR.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by DeepSight(m): 4:57pm On Dec 25, 2009
mazaje:

If I were a Theist

1. I would have believed and held deeply unto answers given to me by someone else and accept them as the facts.
2. I will be homophobic.
3. I would have been judgmental and disrespectful towards others by looking down on them just because they do not share my beliefs.
4. I would have been very superstitious and believe in things that do not agree with the reality I see around me.
5. I would be less curious about the origins of the universe and life - certainly less open-minded to new ideas and avenues of speculation. Because back in the days I was less curious and accepted everything I was told and the god did it mantra seems to explain away everything even though  the god did it answer sometimes did not explain anything to me personally.
6. I would have been somewhat anti-science - let's face it, it's a war of considerable animosity even if some scientists somehow are able to compartmentalize their religion and their work
7. I would have been depending on prayers to help me out when in need or in trouble.

I take very serious exception to the above.
What is meant by this?

Are you suggesting to me that Theism necessarily comes together with –

1. Believing in answers given by other people? (I am a theist and very few people can make make this claim about me. . . I grind out my own ideas everyday. . .).

2. Being homophobic? (Of course you are aware that there are gay anglican priests who are of course theists. Also the Bishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa is pro gay rights. But what the hell. . . must we all be the same? Must I support gay behaviour if I find it repulsive? Must I? What has that got to do with atheism or theism?)

3. Being Judgmental and Disrespectful (Really? Are all theists this way? Was Pope John Paul this way? Was Mahatma Ghandi this way? Wwas Mother Theresa this way? All of them are theists. . .)

4. Being Superstitious (Would you describe all theists as superstitious? Does Pastor AIO strike you as superstitious?)

5. Being less curious about the origins of the universe and life? (Don’t you dare try this one. . . the vast majority of inquisitive scientists who have made the greatest strides in deciphering the universe have been theists. Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Isaac Newton, and a zillion others were all theists!)

6. Being anti-science (as above! . . . too many great scientsists have been theists for you to make this FALSE claim.)

7. Depending on prayer. . . what is wrong with prayer?. . .Besides Deists are theists and they do not necessarily depend on prayer. . .

YOUR ASSUMPTIONS ARE ENTIRELY FALSE AND SHOW A DELIBERATE MISCHARACTERIZATION OF THEISM.
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by noetic15(m): 5:03pm On Dec 25, 2009
when did deepsight start standing up for his beliefs? grin
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by DeepSight(m): 5:17pm On Dec 25, 2009
Noetic my man! Meeeerry Christmas!

Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by Krayola(m): 5:29pm On Dec 25, 2009
haha. I think Mazaje was speaking for HIMSELF, and maybe for HIM, his previous religious convictions were responsible for what he listed in his post. I don't think he was speaking for everyone.

mazaje:

When I [/b]look back on [b]my religious days I feel acutely aware of the stupidity of some of the stuff I entertained in my mind and accepted.  Some of it is quite embarrassing to me I must say.  Had I not broken free, I feel there are so many questions and angles of thought I would have denied myself.

If[b] I [/b]were a Theist

2. I will be homophobic.
4. I [/b]would have been very superstitious and believe in things that do not agree with the reality [b]I see around me.

We shouldn't get so defensive all the time. . . I think it could be seen as a sign of insecurity.

Merry Keresimesi to you all.   wink wink
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by mazaje(m): 5:35pm On Dec 25, 2009
Deep Sight:

I take very serious exception to the above.
What is meant by this?

When I talk of theism I am referring to the theistic beliefs and dogma I was brought up in which are Christianity and Islam. Your oneness of Infinity is of no use and of no importance to me at all.

Are you suggesting to me that Theism necessarily comes together with –

1. Believing in answers given by other people? (I am a theist and very few people can make make this claim about me. . . I grind out my own ideas everyday. . .).

Since you are not blind you can see it for yourself here on the NL religion section. .  .When I was a christian I used to pity those that talk about some preachers who I considered men of god and whom I depended on their teachings and methods as a means of guidance. Touch not my anointed is the mantra all the time. I used to accept the words of men that know even less than me just because I believed they were men of god. . . .

2. Being homophobic? (Of course you are aware that there are gay anglican priests who are of course theists. Also the Bishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa is pro gay rights. But what the hell. . . must we all be the same? Must I support gay behaviour if I find it repulsive? Must I? What has that got to do with atheism or theism?)

The bible and the koran DO NOT support gay rights at all. . . .Publicly declaring support for gays in Nigeria can get you into trouble. . . .The aglican church is considered to be a heretical sect by many Christians no?

3. Being Judgmental and Disrespectful (Really? Are all theists this way? Was Pope John Paul this way? Was Mahatma Ghandi this way? Wwas Mother Theresa this way? All of them are theists. . .)

So many popes before Paul John Paul were that way. . . . .Majority of religious people are Judgmental and look down of those that do not believe in their delusions. . , Its all over nairaland for you to see. . .

4. Being Superstitious (Would you describe all theists as superstitious? Does Pastor AIO strike you as superstitious?)

Pastor AIO is some one I consider to be every where. . .He does not really have a particular belief cos he is neither a Christian or a Moslem. . . . .Any Christian or Moslem that says he does not believe in witches, demons, satans, etc is a lair and NOT a christian or moslem. . . . Why do you think westerners(Europeans) are leaving all these religions and their mythical dogma's and beliefs in droves? The core message of these religions rely on superstition.

5. Being less curious about the origins of the universe and life? (Don’t you dare try this one. . . the vast majority of inquisitive scientists who have made the greatest strides in deciphering the universe have been theists. Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Isaac Newton, and a zillion others were all theists!)

Einstein was not a theist. . . . But these people are not what you will call conventional Christians. . . .they were considered heretics during their times Newton is not some one you will call a Christian per say. . . .They were theist but they did not allow their theistic beliefs to interfere with their quest for knowledge. . .Their findings even turned to be detrimental to their various mythical and theistic beliefs. . . . .They worked in-spite of their beliefs.

6. Being anti-science (as above! . . . too many great scientsists have been theists for you to make this FALSE claim.)

Too many theist have been anti-science. . . .Some of the greatest critics of science and the scientific process today remain theist. . . .Those theist worked in spite of their beliefs. . . In fact most of them worked against their beliefs. . .

7. Depending on prayer. . . what is wrong with prayer?

And how has prayer ever solved anything or helped any body? There is nothing wrong with hoping and wishing(because that is what prayer is). . . .But when people depend on it like the way Nigerians do then it becomes a problem because it has failed and will continue to fail them. . . .

YOUR ASSUMPTIONS ARE ENTIRELY FALSE AND SHOW A DELIBERATE MISCHARACTERIZATION OF THEISM.

When I talk about Theism  I am only referring to Christianity and Islam, I am not really interested in your own theistic delusions. . . . .
Re: Converts How Do You Now Feel? by mazaje(m): 5:37pm On Dec 25, 2009
Krayola:

haha. I think Mazaje was speaking for HIMSELF, and maybe for HIM, his previous religious convictions were responsible for what he listed in his post. I don't think he was speaking for everyone.

We shouldn't get so defensive all the time. . . I think it could be seen as a sign of insecurity.

Krayola merry Christmas to you baby wink grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Historical Facts On How God Visited Some Men Of God. / Jesus Appeared To Them And They Converted From Islam To Christianity / Is The Former Pope Reverting To Islam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.