Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,119 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate (702 Views)

Hushpuppi: Protesters At US Embassy Demand Investigation Of Atiku / Muideen Olalekan Tells Senate He Is A Card Carrying Member Of APC / You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by masterpiece86: 11:17am On Mar 30, 2017
A human rights advocacy organisation , Socio -Economic Rights and Accountability Project, on Thursday , advised the leadership of the Senate to perish its proposition to summon Prof . Itse Sagay, over a comment the latter had made against the lawmakers.
SERAP , in a statement by its Executive Director , Adetokunbo Mummuni , not only described the Senate ’s proposition as unlawful and unconstitutional , it added that its Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions had no moral right to summon Sagay as it was populated by “childish and irresponsible persons with questionable character. ”
The group, while admonishing the Senate to immediately refrain from the move to summon Sagay,
stressed that the planned summon had no constitutional backing and could not withstand constitutional scrutiny .
It stated further that the move was an attempt to violate Sagay ’s freedom of expression , arguing that it was “inimical to peace, order , good governance and the rule of law , and patently inconsistent with the Senate ’s law - making and oversight functions .”
SERAP said , “ The Senate is not immune from constitutional control simply because it ’s a law -making body . In fact, the Senate has neither special immunity from the operation of the constitution nor special privilege to invade the constitutionally and internationally guaranteed right to freedom of expression of Prof . Sagay or other citizens for that matter .
“ The framers of the Constitution of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) would never have contemplated a legislative power without responsibility, and the Senate can’t continue to carry on in a manner that implies its law -making and oversight powers are not open to question .
“ Therefore , its powers under the constitution ought to be exercised reasonably and responsibly , consistent with the fundamental notions of peace, order , good governance and the public interest .
“ The human rights of Nigerians are secured against not only executive lawlessness but also legislative excesses . To trample on citizens’ freedom of expression is to thwart the ideals of representative democracy and the rule of law .
“ The National Assembly is constitutionally empowered to make laws for the peace, order and good governance of Nigeria but recent events in the Senate would seem to stir the public anger . It seems curious that the Senate will be giving a raw deal to the heads of the two leading anti -corruption bodies in the country— Ibrahim Magu of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and Itse Sagay of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption.”
According to SERAP , all public institutions and figures were legitimately subject to criticism and political opposition .

http://punchng.com/your-investigation-of-sagays-comments-is-travesty-serap-tells-senate/

1 Like

Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by HungerBAD: 11:19am On Mar 30, 2017
Our Senate is now a joke.

A very childish Joke.

One of the fears of those Nigerians that did not vote Buhari,was the wrong assumption he was a dictator,and would quench all oppositions.

Today he has been vindicated. But,the troubling fact now is that,a few happenings has shown us that it is the Nigerian Senate that is very Dictatorial,and has been dealing with any dissenting voice.

The Nigerian Senate is running a parallel Government,and if left unchecked,might set a bad precedence for our democracy.

This is a Senate,where the Senate President bought a car for almost 300 Million Naira,and the dimwits there did not deem it fit to investigate him.

This is a Senate where the Senate President,is actively under a criminal investigation on multiple areas. But still,he presides over our National Affairs.

Same Senate that woke up,and said a retired Army Colonel should put on a Custom Uniform. And now they want to call Sagay to appear before them on the floor to explain himself.

I am ashamed.

6 Likes

Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by TheTrueSeeker: 11:22am On Mar 30, 2017
HungerBAD:

A very childish Joke.

Exactly, Now we miss the mature leadership style of Distinguished Sen. David Mark of the 7th Assembly

The NASS should just ask Mr. President to call his appointees to order and leave it at that to avoid further embarrassments.

Though I personally feel the Prof went too far by throwing decorum into the air. Respected statesmen don't use derogatory words against an Institution as the NASS to settle personal rift ...!!!
Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by vedaxcool(m): 11:26am On Mar 30, 2017
When would real Nigerians rise against this spoiled childish brats? Do we allow them to play ludo with our future?
Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by omenkaLives(m): 11:36am On Mar 30, 2017
HungerBAD:

A very childish Joke.

One of the fears of those Nigerians that did not vote Buhari,was the wrong assumption he was a dictator,and would quench all oppositions.

Today he has been vindicated. But,the troubling fact now is that,a few happenings has shown us that it is the Nigerian Senate that is very Dictatorial,and has been dealing with any dissenting voice.

The Nigerian Senate is running a parallel Government,and if left unchecked,might set a bad precedence for our democracy.

This is a Senate,where the Senate President bought a car for almost 300 Million Naira,and the dimwits there did not deem it fit to investigate him.

This is a Senate where the Senate President,is actively under a criminal investigation on multiple areas. But still,he presides over our National Affairs.

Everytime I read news about their misadventures, I get a bit more angry at baba. He initiated this chain reaction from the onset by showing no interest in who becomes what in the National Assembly. angry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by HungerBAD: 11:41am On Mar 30, 2017
omenkaLives:
Everytime I read news about their misadventures, I get a bit more angry at baba. He initiated this chain reaction from the onset by showing no interest in who becomes what in the National Assembly. angry

True that.

I miss the Banana peel days of Obasanjo.

OBJ would have reformatted their heads.

5 Likes

Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by gbeseun(m): 11:51am On Mar 30, 2017
HungerBAD:

True that.

OBJ would have reformatted their head.

Obj no get chill at all, I trust baba iyabo
Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by MrGreenMavro: 11:56am On Mar 30, 2017
smiley
Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by omenkaLives(m): 11:58am On Mar 30, 2017
HungerBAD:

True that.

OBJ would have reformatted their heads.
Evans Nwerem, Athur Nzeribe, Chuba Okadigbo, they all knew what's up. Baba really misfired.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by sarrki(m): 12:00pm On Mar 30, 2017
omenkaLives:
Evans Nwerem, Athur Nzeribe, Chuba Okadigbo, they all knew what's up. Baba really misfired.

I feel bad about this set of looters holding the whole country down

1 Like

Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by hopyou12: 9:45am On Jan 04, 2020
Typically, those in the public sector are employed by municipalities, Private investigator fire or police departments and state and federal agencies
Re: Your Investigation Of Sagay’s Comments Is Travesty, SERAP Tells Senate by sammyj: 10:00am On Jan 04, 2020
What do you expect from set of Sinators in the first place! shocked

(1) (Reply)

Will Restructuring Solve Nigeria’s Problems? / Nigeria: Five Things I Woulda Told You..but I Won't. / Historic: On The May 30th Biafran Heroes Remembrance Day!!! Wondering???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.