Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,062 members, 7,825,367 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Theism And The Pettiness Of God - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Theism And The Pettiness Of God (5519 Views)

Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? / Nairaland Theists , Can You Prove That Theism Is Not Illogical ? / Anti-theism A New Form Of Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by johnydon22(m): 12:04pm On Apr 01, 2017
kaboninc:

Seun hates even the concept of a God. I don't believe in the existence of a God either. But from all atheist I've come to know, a majority of them have this strong hatred on even the existence of a God.

It is one thing to agree and disagree and it is another thing to express your hatred over anything....real or imagined.
so in what way is this hatred expressed? Arguing against the existence of God or chastising everything that has to do with God?
Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by Seun(m): 12:26pm On Apr 01, 2017
kaboninc:
You do hate God!
What part of my one word response "excellent!" makes you believe that I "hate God"? I don't hate God at all; why should I?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by Cekpo34(m): 12:36pm On Apr 01, 2017
Seun:
Excellent!

Excellent indeed cry ! How can one mail you, pls? The send-email query is disabled on your profile
Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by EVarn(m): 1:24pm On Apr 01, 2017
@Johnydon22 and Seun
This write up is quite intriguing; even as a christian,I can reason with the points made in the article.
I do have these thoughts about the instrumentalities of religion,but in the end,I end up concluding that humanity needs religion,for the same reasons we need government; to ensure relative tranquility and minimize chaos.
If religion were to be made absent in a hypothetical vacuum,such a vacuum would likely spiral into a state I call the "communal lysis of the hopeless",which may well lead to a social and psycological implosion.
Religion,by virtue of its abstract nature,makes a mockery of common sense; but it is a most necessary concept.
Why do I say this,afterall,religion seem to be the cause of half the world's conflict?,simple.Religion gives hope; hope is the last recourse of the condemned man.If a man has no hope for better things to come,he will either make everyone around him fall into his own malady or resort to taking his own life.
In a sense,its a necessary evil.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by joe4christ(m): 1:26pm On Apr 01, 2017
Wonderful. I love this!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:57pm On Apr 01, 2017
This is a fantastic writeup.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by johnydon22(m): 3:30pm On Apr 01, 2017
EVarn:
@Johnydon22 and Seun
This write up is quite intriguing; even as a christian,I can reason with the points made in the article.
I do have these thoughts about the instrumentalities of religion,but in the end,I end up concluding that humanity needs religion,for the same reasons we need government; to ensure relative tranquility and minimize chaos.
If religion were to be made absent in a hypothetical vacuum,such a vacuum would likely spiral into a state I call the "communal lysis of the hopeless",which may well lead to a social and psycological implosion.
Religion,by virtue of its abstract nature,makes a mockery of common sense; but it is a most necessary concept.
Why do I say this,afterall,religion seem to be the cause of half the world's conflict?,simple.Religion gives hope; hope is the last recourse of the condemned man.If a man has no hope for better things to come,he will either make everyone around him fall into his own malady or resort to taking his own life.
In a sense,its a necessary evil.

I completely agree 100% I too hold the thought that Religion is important for order and control... It is a vital societal tool just like politics we need these two

1 Like

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by akintom(m): 3:53pm On Apr 01, 2017
johnydon22:

I completely agree 100% I too hold the thought that Religion is important for order and control... It is a vital societal tool just like politics we need these two

The lifestyle and the societal characteristics of the atheists, negate the thinking that the absence of religion, will plunge the society in disorderliness and chaos.

Just like politics, there are different system of governance, through which politicians bear leadership.

Secularism is a type of societal moderation, and its opposition to overwhelming control of society via religious beliefs, has proven a better alternative.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by sonoforogun(m): 4:13pm On Apr 01, 2017
Wao! This is really interesting... I have always wondered, "Why did God create such a vast universe and other planets if there is only life on Earth?". I mean, why would God create this huge universe, if He was primarily interested in His relationship with one species occupying a tiny planet? It's absurd! However, we are learning still as there are many things we don't know yet.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by DoctorAlien(m): 5:15pm On Apr 01, 2017
The OP has posted this same ignorant article countless times, each time with different words.

Apart from the fact I'm confused as to how GOD is "vane", the OP is yet to prove to me that his understanding of what a "perfect GOD" should be is the reality.

The OP said that a perfect GOD "needs nothing." And I say yes: GOD really needs nothing from anybody. He is worshipped by those who have realised that worship is due to Him simply because He is the Creator. But what can be more just for the Creator to do than to destroy out of existence those creatures who have chosen to remain a nuisance to creation by continuing to disobey the laws which the Creator has put in place to govern creation?

1 Like

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by jmichlins(m): 8:08pm On Apr 01, 2017
My journey to atheism started from watching documentaries about the universe. What we call the universe is actually a microbe when compared to how vast here can be. Then imagine how one person can be keeping watch over all these and yet watch us individually when we do petty things like gossip then he goes on to register us individually in his book of life. Individually, bible said we have our own book then think about the people who have come and gone in this world.

God and everything about him is the primitive human best explanation of how we began and what's around us. Sadly some modern men have chosen to hold unto such primitive explanation.

It's said that in Christ there's freedom but I make bold to say in atheism is total freedom. You worry not about your enemy who has sworn to bring you down because you realize that your destiny is in your arms. You worry not about your life after death because you realize there's none. There's only one thing to worry about in atheism which is to make this world a better place cause it's up to you and me to do it not any God or angels

Good evening fellas

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by topdee(m): 8:23pm On Apr 01, 2017
DoctorAlien:
The OP has posted this same ignorant article countless times, each time with different words.

Apart from the fact I'm confused as to how GOD is "vane", the OP is yet to prove to me that his understanding of what a "perfect GOD" should be is the reality.

The OP said that a perfect GOD "needs nothing." And I say yes: GOD really needs nothing from anybody. He is worshipped by those who have realised that worship is due to Him simply because He is the Creator. But what can be more just for the Creator to do than to destroy out of existence those creatures who have chosen to remain a nuisance to creation by continuing to disobey the laws which the Creator has put in place to govern creation?

I don't understand the concept of why a supreme and all powerful being will create a platform of many outcomes and punish his creation eternally for following the part of some of those outcomes; more like literally punishing people for his flaws, that is the height of barbarism. It is like developing a probabilistic model and expecting a peculiar distinctive outcome, that is psychosis.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by NPComplete: 8:55pm On Apr 01, 2017
akintom:

The lifestyle and the societal characteristics of the atheists, negate the thinking that the absence of religion, will plunge the society in disorderliness and chaos.

Just like politics, there are different system of governance, through which politicians bear leadership.

Secularism is a type of societal moderation, and its opposition to overwhelming control of society via religious beliefs, has proven a better alternative.

I partially disagree. Most atheists, deists and irreligious people are usually very thoughtful people. They are less likely to succumb to vices that could harm their neighbour. The general population isn't like that. They are mostly superstitious and among them are some subhumans whose sinister tendencies are kept in check by the threat of eternal damnation.

I agree with EVarn, we do need a bit of religion.

4 Likes

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by akintom(m): 9:04pm On Apr 01, 2017
NPComplete:

I partially disagree. Most atheists, deists and irreligious people are usually very thoughtful people. They are less likely to succumb to vices that could harm their neighbour. The general population isn't like that. They are mostly superstitious and among them are some subhumans whose sinister tendencies are kept in check by the threat of eternal damnation.

All that is needed to keep criminal tendencies and acts in check, is justice.

Religion benefits only the Oppressors of the weak and gullible ones.

3 Likes

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by EVarn(m): 9:22pm On Apr 01, 2017
akintom:

All that is needed to keep criminal tendencies and acts in check, is justice.
Religion benefits only the Oppressors of the weak and gullible ones.
The concept of justice was refined from religious morals.
Justice is a human concept and is therefore subject to direct human vices and manipulations; religion on the other hand was conceptualized by humanity in our search for the answer to the creation question,we made a moral creed(under the aegis of being directed by a higher power) that is to be enforced by a superior entity with the ability to dish out eternal consequencies.

Religion is double edged however,the human tendency to make a weapon out of intellectual,philosophical and ideological concepts has made religion quite very volatile.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by Nobody: 11:28pm On Apr 01, 2017
rhektor:

Your problem is that you want to define an all powerful omniscient God by your own idea, you want that all powerful being to be what you feel he should be. You think the producer of Boeing 737 will be unconcerned about one of the earpiece jack on the seat? You need to think really deep
I would've said 'nice' but think about this. . .the op mentioned the fact that your God is supposedly perfect and all knowing.

Now, as humans, when we create things we get worried about them because we know that we are only human and can make mistakes.

However, a GOD who is perfect, and KNOWS he is perfect, has no need to worry about his creation. See, this God has created everything and put everything in place. So why would he/she/it be worried about something as tiny to him as the dirt under our fingernails is to us?

6 Likes

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by rhektor(m): 12:40am On Apr 02, 2017
AnonyNymous:

I would've said 'nice' but think about this. . .the op mentioned the fact that your God is supposedly perfect and all knowing.

Now, as humans, when we create things we get worried about them because we know that we are only human and can make mistakes.

However, a GOD who is perfect, and KNOWS he is perfect, has no need to worry about his creation. See, this God has created everything and put everything in place. So why would he/she/it be worried about something as tiny to him as the dirt under our fingernails is to us?

Your comment still has to do with the fact that you are frustrated that the God we are talking about does not fit your description. It can never fit into what you think or whatever you might want that God to act or look like. You are the one to fit into what he (that god) want so Mr AnonYmous put your mind on pleasing him and not think of making that God please you, OK?
On my example I said that the manufacturer will be concerned with the the smallest components in his inventions not the invention trying to make the inventor conform to itself, got that?
#shalom
Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by Nobody: 12:49am On Apr 02, 2017
rhektor:

Your comment still has to do with the fact that you are frustrated that the God we are talking about does not fit your description. It can never fit into what you think or whatever you might want that God to act or look like. You are the one to fit into what he (that god) want so Mr AnonYmous put your mind on pleasing him and not think of making that God please you, OK?
On my example I said that the manufacturer will be concerned with the the smallest components in his inventions not the invention trying to make the inventor conform to itself, got that?
#shalom
*Sigh* I don't have any expectations of your god because I don't even know if he/she/it exists or not. YOU are the ones that claim your god is perfect. YOU are the ones that claim your god knows all, and makes no mistakes. And if this is so, it makes no sense that God will need to interfere with something that is already perfect.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by otemdomino: 12:49am On Apr 02, 2017
felixomor:
@ the Op,

Simple question for you

Please
What are the ideal attributes of an "all powerful God"?

Because it seems you know all the dos and donts of an "all powerful"....

Please what are the ideals?
GOD the Universe, the creator of Yahweh is that God. He doesn't busy himself with the things he created. For yahweh, he's like someone who created cartoons and then joins them in the film so actively that he does and speaks exactly like them. And he spins and runs after them just how they spin and run. Then he sits on cartoon chairs also, plays the role of Tom in Tom and Jerry and the role of an hokage in Naruto. Then he is being carried about in a coffin an Ark by the cartoons and then when Pinocchio tells lie, he punishes him immediately. And when the coffin bearing him shook and almost fell, he killed the cartoon who tried to help him.

God the Universe his father doesn't go that way.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by felixomor: 12:51am On Apr 02, 2017
otemdomino:
GOD the Universe, the creator of Yahweh is that God. He doesn't busy himself with the things he created. For yahweh, he's like someone who created cartoons and then joins them in the film so actively that he does and speaks exactly like them. And he spins and runs after them just how they spin and run. Then he sits on cartoon chairs also, plays the role of Tom in Tom and Jerry and the role of an hokage in Naruto. Then he is being carried about in a coffin an Ark by the cartoons and then when Pinocchio tells lie, he punishes him immediately. And when the coffin bearing him shook and almost fell, he killed the cartoon who tried to help him.

God the Universe his father doesn't go that way.

Hian lipsrsealed
Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by otemdomino: 12:53am On Apr 02, 2017
NPComplete:

In essence, what you need is a bit of LIES.
Religion=lies
Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by rhektor(m): 1:17am On Apr 02, 2017
AnonyNymous:

*Sigh* I don't have any expectations of your god because I don't even know if he/she/it exists or not. YOU are the ones that claim your god is perfect. YOU are the ones that claim your god knows all, and makes no mistakes. And if this is so, it makes no sense that God will need to interfere with something that is already perfect.

That means when the manufacturer made something that he claimed is perfect the manufacturer should leave it to itself, right? This beat logic. I claim my God is perfect, I claim my God can do all things so? Have you discovered this and did you see Him as imperfect?
Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by Nobody: 1:20am On Apr 02, 2017
rhektor:

That means when the manufacturer made something that he claimed is perfect the manufacturer should leave it to itself, right? This beat logic. I claim my God is perfect, I claim my God can do all things so? Have you discovered this and did you see Him as imperfect?
Yes, if it is perfect, then the manufacturer can leave it to itself. Right now in our human world, manufacturers only put things like warranties, etc because they know things are man made and there can be mistakes. But for a god that is perfect and makes no mistake, his work should be able to run on autopilot forever without a single error.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by rhektor(m): 1:59am On Apr 02, 2017
AnonyNymous:

Yes, if it is perfect, then the manufacturer can leave it to itself. Right now in our human world, manufacturers only put things like warranties, etc because they know things are man made and there can be mistakes. But for a god that is perfect and makes no mistake, his work should be able to run on autopilot forever without a single error.

Hugh! You keep repeating the same old line like a broken record. You would have said there's no God because if there is a God that is perfect why should his product die?
However, you still not getting it that in his perfection he does as he Pleases, he doesn't need your advice but compliance. It is just not too good for arguing with you since you've got this fixed mind that there is no reason why this God should be said to be perfect.
Good night I wanna catch a some sleep
Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by NPComplete: 6:10am On Apr 02, 2017
otemdomino:

In essence, what you need is a bit of LIES.
Religion=lies

Of course we do need bits of lie. The world couldn't possibly function without the infinite capacity of humans to tell lies. A good fib makes the world go round.
Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by Wilgrea7(m): 6:14am On Apr 02, 2017
nice writeup johnydon22.... this is an opinion not a rebuttal... cuz some of the things you said are true

firstly.. to imagine how small earth is compared to other stars is something really fascinating.. I'll talk about involvement of an all supreme creator(creator of the cosmos, nebulas, galaxies) etc on earth... i think the problem is that whenever we hear the word ‘God' we think of a man with a long white beard somewhere... but I've come to realise that God is more than that.. i like to think of God as a ‘thing' that surpasses all things yet is in all things... i believe God is outside, inside, and through the universe.. so i don't think it would be much of a problem for him to actually relate with the different planets no matter how small they may be.. concerning the killings in the OT, i don't support it neither do i justify it... i know little or nothing of what happened then.. all we have are bits of the tip of the iceberg.. Christians who think they know more than the Jews about their(the jews) own history need to recheck... you did make a very good point in regards to an all supreme creator being affected by human emotions like jealousy, rage etc.. but i don't also think that God should be emotionless to creation... as in... not caring at all.. please try to get my point... I'm in no way justifying anger or jealousy... but emotions like love can bring things like sadness... except we are to all agree that God doesn't love his creation..
concerning worship, i don't believe God needs our worship... i don't even think he wants it... praise and worship are things to be done out of gratitude and not compulsion.. if i start speaking my mind ... my fellow Christians will come for my head... but God doesn't need our worship.. even if we are to take the bible as a point of reference... you'd see that God in the Bible has millions of angels with angelic voices that sing to him... compared to our human crooked voices, you'd see that God doesn't indeed need our worship/praise... but its something we do out of gratitude.. I've been in churches where people dance and sing to show themselves...but their intention isn't to praise God.. I'm 100% sure that those praises won't go anywhere.. i once saw a woman with a crooked voice.. crying and praising God.. mere looking at her you could tell she was not faking.. I'm pretty sure God would acknowledge her more than the other circus workers...
you said something that echoed within me

your exact words were “Theism ridicules and demeans the very idea of God they conceive"

i agree yet disagree... there are religions that don't demean God... but don't expect them to be common in the west... but coming to Christianity and Islam, you're correct.. i recently went to research on the jews and i realised that the abrahamic religions have reduced God to the likeness of a man.. Judaism is way better in some certain aspects... the Christians and muslims have this daddy mummy mentality with God... which in the real sense is not a problem... but how they use the mentality.. that's the problem... Christianity tends to reduce God to a mere servant.. you hear things like “God i need a job"... “God help me pass this exam"... i don't pray like that anymore cuz I've realised that we pray for things we already have.. its like asking for food and then asking to be spoon fed... its wrong.. the only thing i ask for is grace and mercy.. I've began to see the importance of the Lord's prayer... let me stop here to avoid provoking certain Christians... my point is that most Christians have reduced God to who he is not and it is wrong... this is not a rebuttal... its an opinion cuz some of the things you said up there are true

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by otemdomino: 6:22am On Apr 02, 2017
NPComplete:

Of course we do need bits of lie. The world couldn't possibly function without the infinite capacity of humans to tell lies. A good fib makes the world go round.

I don't agree with religious lies. It doesn't help, e.g it destroys psychology. It causes fear of demons which are not real, makes you fear death, your shadow, a cat, your fellow humans especially the old women, calling them witches ; collects from the rich and gives to the poor, victimizes the poor to favour the rich, wastes people's lives and time, causes careless attitudes towards things that could bring development to a nation, makes you feel suspicious; causes noise pollution, causes division and conflicts, rioting, terrorism, killings, hypocrisies, etc.

Religion is bad and it must be rid off our society.

2 Likes

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by VERDA: 7:25am On Apr 02, 2017
DoctorAlien:

I disagree with you bro.. .destruction of his supposed creatures can not be just for a supposedly all loving and all knowing GOD, if he wanted perfect beings, he could have created them,without the tendency to be a nuisance and the capacity to disobey as you have said.. ..afterall he is all knowing and all powerful. I think it insane to have the capacity to create a perfect being as some believe he does, then goes on to create a being with a capacity to stray, knowing this all the while, and then destroying this being for the very same imperfections he put in it.. ....This been said,i must mention here that I do believe in God, but think there is so much we do not know of him/it/her and his/her/its relationship to the world and us humans. Our different religions I must confess have failed to give us complete answers,look around you, religion is responsible for more deaths than almost all other causes put together.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by VERDA: 7:41am On Apr 02, 2017
Wilgrea7:
nice writeup johnydon22.... this is an opinion not a rebuttal... cuz some of the things you said are true

firstly.. to imagine how small earth is compared to other stars is something really fascinating.. I'll talk about involvement of an all supreme creator(creator of the cosmos, nebulas, galaxies) etc on earth... i think the problem is that whenever we hear the word ‘God' we think of a man with a long white beard somewhere... but I've come to realise that God is more than that.. i like to think of God as a ‘thing' that surpasses all things yet is in all things... i believe God is outside, inside, and through the universe.. so i don't think it would be much of a problem for him to actually relate with the different planets no matter how small they may be.. concerning the killings in the OT, i don't support it neither do i justify it... i know little or nothing of what happened then.. all we have are bits of the tip of the iceberg.. Christians who think they know more than the Jews about their(the jews) own history need to recheck... you did make a very good point in regards to an all supreme creator being affected by human emotions like jealousy, rage etc.. but i don't also think that God should be emotionless to creation... as in... not caring at all.. please try to get my point... I'm in no way justifying anger or jealousy... but emotions like love can bring things like sadness... except we are to all agree that God doesn't love his creation..
concerning worship, i don't believe God needs our worship... i don't even think he wants it... praise and worship are things to be done out of gratitude and not compulsion.. if i start speaking my mind ... my fellow Christians will come for my head... but God doesn't need our worship.. even if we are to take the bible as a point of reference... you'd see that God in the Bible has millions of angels with angelic voices that sing to him... compared to our human crooked voices, you'd see that God doesn't indeed need our worship/praise... but its something we do out of gratitude.. I've been in churches where people dance and sing to show themselves...but their intention isn't to praise God.. I'm 100% sure that those praises won't go anywhere.. i once saw a woman with a crooked voice.. crying and praising God.. mere looking at her you could tell she was not faking.. I'm pretty sure God would acknowledge her more than the other circus workers...
you said something that echoed within me

your exact words were “Theism ridicules and demeans the very idea of God they conceive"

i agree yet disagree... there are religions that don't demean God... but don't expect them to be common in the west... but coming to Christianity and Islam, you're correct.. i recently went to research on the jews and i realised that the abrahamic religions have reduced God to the likeness of a man.. Judaism is way better in some certain aspects... the Christians and muslims have this daddy mummy mentality with God... which in the real sense is not a problem... but how they use the mentality.. that's the problem... Christianity tends to reduce God to a mere servant.. you hear things like “God i need a job"... “God help me pass this exam"... i don't pray like that anymore cuz I've realised that we pray for things we already have.. its like asking for food and then asking to be spoon fed... its wrong.. the only thing i ask for is grace and mercy.. I've began to see the importance of the Lord's prayer... let me stop here to avoid provoking certain Christians... my point is that most Christians have reduced God to who he is not and it is wrong... this is not a rebuttal... its an opinion cuz some of the things you said up there are true

It's almost as if you brought these words out of my mind, I have always believed a lot of people have a distorted idea of God and how he relates to us hence so much misconceptions and all "God is outside, inside and through the universe" that's a profound truth, his essence is in everything.Very well put.
Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 02, 2017
AnonyNymous, kindly quit ya argument with r*hektor.

They choose when to say god is perfect and all-bla-bla.

On this thread, he'd deviate totally. so it's baseless trying to rephrase accurately what was written and said in the bible

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by Nobody: 8:00am On Apr 02, 2017
The only sensible comment I Ve read from a Theist on this thread is that of Wilgrea7....

Nice one bro.

2 Likes

Re: Theism And The Pettiness Of God by hopefulLandlord: 8:30am On Apr 02, 2017
adepeter26:
The only sensible comment I Ve read from a Theist on this thread is that of Wilgrea7....

Nice one bro.

Wilgrea7 is one of the few theists that make sense in almost every post

I find his arguments more convincing cuz he doesn't make assertions with nothing to back them up

I've always studied his posts since the day he opened a thread on hell fire

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hell:a Bundle Of Lies. / Why Do Some People Suspect The Current Israel Nationals Are Imposters? / Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.