Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,018 members, 7,814,473 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) (25268 Views)

Doctor Slumps On Duty In Kogi Hospital (photo) / Graduate Dies After Wrong Diagnosis By Lagos Hospital (photo) / Burial Of Lady Who Died During Childbirth In A Lagos Hospital (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by stevecantrell: 10:30am On Apr 04, 2017
doctokwus:

Though an investigation maybe conducted and no guilt can be ascribed yet,the hospitals press release I must confess leaves much to be desired.
For them to even want to even infer that the husband asking to be left alone with d wife,then massaging her tummy,cud indirectly av contributed to her death,is cheapish to me.
They wud av just come out with the autopsy, which itself is indicting,considering d array of consultants available.
All sed,I just feel it was an unfortunate series of events,and d hospital and husband shud just av a frank discussion,with much emotional and physical support rendered.Things like this also do happen in the western world.

I agree. Autopsy findings need to be published first.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by petitejolie(f): 10:31am On Apr 04, 2017
oh no! this oyibo shud av taken his wife out of d country na. even the Nigerians are taking dier Nigerian wives to oyibo land.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by fostermd(m): 10:38am On Apr 04, 2017
This lady died as a result of Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation(DIC). it's a very fatal complication of Caesaerean section especially when the pregnancy is post dated.It presents as uncontrollable bleeding from all the orifices in the body.
Treatment is almost impossible in Nigeria at the moment (clotting factors and platelets have been consumed leading to bleeding)because there is failure of the clotting system as soon as DIC cascade is set up no matter the amount of blood transfusion the patient gets.it result from post partum haemorrhage or amniotic fluid embolism (following Caesarean section)
The history in this case indicated bleeding from different part of the body and despite the blood transfusion she did not survive.
May God comfort her family.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by blaqroy: 10:40am On Apr 04, 2017
Smh..... RIP
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by berrystunn(m): 10:46am On Apr 04, 2017
bennyrazz:
because a white man is involved, they wana investigate? SMH. How many Nigerians have been butchered that way by Doctors? how many have they investigated? how many doctors licenses have been revoked? anyway sha, a good development if this can be applied to all cases similar to this. Too much negligence on the part of some doctors in Nigeria and they really need to be punished

Nigerians don't like to know cos of death.
White man need explanation and clear cos of death.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 04, 2017
Y didnt u guys go to Portugal na
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by madridguy(m): 10:59am On Apr 04, 2017
Chiamaka, the news about your death sadden my heart. I have to ask again and again before I believed. Well, God alone knows it all but as for me, I think marrying one of the most wicked man on earth was the greatest mistake on your path.

Arlindo is wicked more than Shekau.

RIP Chiamaka.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by FTBOY: 11:00am On Apr 04, 2017
Nollynude:

He is The doctor that carried out the operation undecided
you're now a confirmed islamic terrorist...check your profile. hahahaha!! grin grin cheesy
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by ShilohB: 11:12am On Apr 04, 2017
Because is a white man investigation has started
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by tonio2wo: 11:26am On Apr 04, 2017
HARJANI9000:

Because she is Portuguese abi..................investigate very well.

No mind them, if na ordinary nigerian dem no go look him side at all
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by VitaminB12(m): 11:28am On Apr 04, 2017
Aimosagie:

I've been here a while now and have also noticed the Nairaland trend of always referring to this name. I also don't know who this is and no one going by that name has ever responded to the constant shout outs..lol.. I believe it's just a made up name to keep jokes up dear.
it's not a made up name. He is real. He is a super moderator. People mention him to draw his attention to their threads for further approval to the front-page.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by VitaminB12(m): 11:31am On Apr 04, 2017
madridguy:
Chiamaka, the news about your death sadden my heart. I have to ask again and again before I believed. Well, God alone knows it all but as for me, I think marrying one of the most wicked man on earth was the greatest mistake on your path.

Arlindo is wicked more than Shekau.

RIP Chiamaka.
Bro, you seem to know her too well. How wicked is Arlindo, her husband? Am thinking He is your Ex boss
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by qualityovenbake(m): 11:40am On Apr 04, 2017
doctokwus:

So those that have your required 20yrs of being off just jumped,without patients visiting, to acquire their 20yrs of existence?
What a way to reason.
@post,so sad.What this case requires is not passing of guilt,but a thorough medical inquiry to find out what went wrong and help all prevent future occurrence.
More like a mortality review,with no biases or concealment of all the medical management of the diseased from day 1 to her regrettable demise.
That's my opinion, I won't put my wife life and our unborn baby in the care of a new hospital. History matters a lot to me.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by Nollynude: 11:41am On Apr 04, 2017
FTBOY:
you're now a confirmed islamic terrorist...check your profile. hahahaha!! grin grin cheesy

Abi nah, nairaland forcing terrorism down your throat since 1960
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by jfleece(m): 11:44am On Apr 04, 2017
folarinmiles:
Please who is "lalasticlala" and why does everyone scream the name just to pass a message.

I'm just a new member
lala is a spirit, protected by the gods..
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by mcino: 11:45am On Apr 04, 2017
FTBOY:
This is what he means nollynude

Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by basilake9: 12:02pm On Apr 04, 2017
bennyrazz:
because a white man is involved, they wana investigate? SMH. How many Nigerians have been butchered that way by Doctors? how many have they investigated? how many doctors licenses have been revoked? anyway sha, a good development if this can be applied to all cases similar to this. Too much negligence on the part of some doctors in Nigeria and they really need to be punished
Why do we talk this way in naija now. You don't know anything and you are talking as if you have the record of all the hospitals that have been investigated in your house. For your information I know a lot of doctors and hospitals battling legal cases against fellow Nigerian patients, and this same hospitals have been investigated by the state. In fact this is the first time am hearing a white man being involved. So please get your facts right next time.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 04, 2017
fostermd:
This lady died as a result of Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation(DIC). it's a very fatal complication of Caesaerean section especially when the pregnancy is post dated.It presents as uncontrollable bleeding from all the orifices in the body.
Treatment is almost impossible in Nigeria at the moment (clotting factors and platelets have been consumed leading to bleeding)because there is failure of the clotting system as soon as DIC cascade is set up no matter the amount of blood transfusion the patient gets.it result from post partum haemorrhage or amniotic fluid embolism (following Caesarean section)
The history in this case indicated bleeding from different part of the body and despite the blood transfusion she did not survive.
funny how most people are blaming the docs when they have no idea how poorly equipped our "big" tertiary centres are...managing dic without ffp/platelet conc is just imposible, where do we readily have that in naija?
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by madridguy(m): 2:15pm On Apr 04, 2017
Yes, I knows him very well. I once worked under a company " contracting " under the firm his working with too. Very wicked and heartless soul.

VitaminB12:
Bro, you seem to know her too well. How wicked is Arlindo, her husband? Am thinking He is your Ex boss

1 Like

Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by InvertedHammer: 3:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
Autopsy showed concealed hematoma behind the bladder?

The whole medical team should be given public execution.

SMH

1 Like

Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by Nollynude: 3:40pm On Apr 04, 2017
mcino:

This is what he means nollynude

Yeah, i understand, it's nairaland that forces it down our throat
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by jen2praise(f): 4:52pm On Apr 04, 2017
so unfortunate. Father I just wanna say thank you for a safe delivery. Mother and Son healthy and alive.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
pepemendy:
Portuguese ain't white man
what are they then? Green? I know some Portuguese are brown and some are pale (white) again what are they?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 04, 2017
basilake9:

Why do we talk this way in naija now. You don't know anything and you are talking as if you have the record of all the hospitals that have been investigated in your house. For your information I know a lot of doctors and hospitals battling legal cases against fellow Nigerian patients, and this same hospitals have been investigated by the state. In fact this is the first time am hearing a white man being involved. So please get your facts right next time.
they may be battling legally but what about people who can not afford legal fees? Who is going to speak for them?
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by thehedge(f): 5:54pm On Apr 04, 2017
undecided when I say Nigerians value other race more than theirs dem think say I dey lie. ....simply because she married a Portuguese
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by Pennywise(m): 6:17pm On Apr 04, 2017
1.4 million naira for ordinary CS appears rather pricey
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by Pennywise(m): 6:29pm On Apr 04, 2017
fostermd:

I don't know the kind of exposure you have had but no one should die from DIC following CS in today's Nigeria. This was an elective surgery for christ sake. These doctors could have done so much more.

I know nothing about this practice but they should have a reasonably good background to command that kind of fee for an ordinary CS. It is obvious that whatever internal controls they have failed miserably. And for this they should be remorseful and not be seen to be exchanging words with an aggrieved husband.

Death of a mother following delivery is always extremely painful both to family and care givers. Sometimes for the doctor it's a career defining experience. I hope the doctor will learn from this and make sure it never happens again. It's a collective indictment to medical practice in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by fostermd(m): 6:50pm On Apr 04, 2017
Pennywise:

I don't know the kind of exposure you have had but no one should die from DIC following CS in today's Nigeria. This was an elective surgery for christ sake. These doctors could have done so much more.

I know nothing about this practice but they should have a reasonably good background to command that kind of fee for an ordinary CS. It is obvious that whatever internal controls they have failed miserably. And for this they should be remorseful and not be seen to be exchanging words with an aggrieved husband.

Death of a mother following delivery is always extremely painful both to family and care givers. Sometimes for the doctor it's a career defining experience. I hope the doctor will learn from this and make sure it never happens again. It's a collective indictment to medical practice in Nigeria.
Pennywise:

I practice medicine UK in the past 12 years and 6 years before relocating,I still monitor the state of healthcare in Nigeria.DIC cannot be prevented as such but the management is where there is deficiency in Nigeria.The appropriate blood products/ fraction (Platelets) that is needed to stop the bleeding is not readily available.Whole blood transfusion is not enough to treat DIC ,most hospitals in naija do not even have adequate blood when needed let alone the various components of blood that are needed to treat specific blood disorders.How many laboratories have the capacity to seperate the component of blood.Healcare is practically non existent in Nigeria,that is the reason 1.5billion dollars is spent by Nigerians on health tourism annually to India,South Africa,U.K.,US and Recently Dubai.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by Pennywise(m): 7:39pm On Apr 04, 2017
fostermd:

I practice medicine UK in the past 12 years and 6 years before relocating,I still monitor the state of healthcare in Nigeria.DIC cannot be prevented as such but the management is where there is deficiency in Nigeria.The appropriate blood products/ fraction (Platelets) that is needed to stop the bleeding is not readily available.Whole blood transfusion is not enough to treat DIC ,most hospitals in naija do not even have adequate blood when needed let alone the various components of blood that are needed to treat specific blood disorders.How many laboratories have the capacity to seperate the component of blood.Healcare is practically non existent in Nigeria,that is the reason 1.5billion dollars is spent by Nigerians on health tourism annually to India,South Africa,U.K.,US and Recently Dubai.

Diagnosis in this case is not in doubt very clear. DIC possibly triggered by massive intraoperative bleeding from poor technique and experience 6 units of fresh whole blood could have stopped this disaster. Maybe 8 . More is hardly ever necessary. Relations and paid donors are always ready and willing to donate. We do quite well without ffp even though the amount of money charged this patient should make all options available at finger tip. Patient and family deserved better.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by fostermd(m): 8:01pm On Apr 04, 2017
Pennywise:

Diagnosis in this case is not in doubt very clear. DIC possibly triggered by massive intraoperative bleeding from poor technique and experience 6 units of fresh whole blood could have stopped this disaster. Maybe 8 . More is hardly ever necessary. Relations and paid donors are always ready and willing to donate. We do quite well without ffp even though the amount of money charged this patient should make all options available at finger tip. Patient and family deserved better.

Can you recall that at the early stage of DIC ,extensive clotting of the small vessels lead to multi organ failure before the platelets are used up and bleeding from multiple orifices occurs.The multi organ failure cannot be treated in Nigeria.Most hospitals do not have well equipped ICU,do not have life support or ventilators and trained Internist.
In addition,whole blood transfusion is not the appropriate replacement in DIC,what is needed are the components of blood that will stop the bleeding.Whole blood transfusion with high risk of incompartbilities causing transfusion reaction is implicated in the aetiology of DIC.Do you wonder why we are not able to treat many of the blood disorders,haemoglobinopathies and blood cancers in Nigeria?

I maintain extensive contact with doctors and colleagues who are consultants in Nigeria now and I listen to their frustrations.The underdevelopment witnessed in every sector of Nigeria is worst with Healthcare due to the fact that healthcare is expensive.Do you know how many Nigerians die from bloodl loss and hypovolemic shock following Road accidents and trauma?

The hospital may however have failed if the index of suspicion of the diagnosis was poor by the team managing her.Inadequate critical care facilities is the order in our healthcare system.

This incident is a failure of the healthcare system.Its the reason I relocated abroad since 2005 to have a fulfilling practice in Europe.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by Pennywise(m): 11:46pm On Apr 04, 2017
fostermd:

Can you recall that at the early stage of DIC ,extensive clotting of the small vessels lead to multi organ failure before the platelets are used up and bleeding from multiple orifices occurs.The multi organ failure cannot be treated in Nigeria.Most hospitals do not have well equipped ICU,do not have life support or ventilators and trained Internist.
In addition,whole blood transfusion is not the appropriate replacement in DIC,what is needed are the components of blood that will stop the bleeding.Whole blood transfusion with high risk of incompartbilities causing transfusion reaction is implicated in the aetiology of DIC.Do you wonder why we are not able to treat many of the blood disorders,haemoglobinopathies and blood cancers in Nigeria?

I maintain extensive contact with doctors and colleagues who are consultants in Nigeria now and I listen to their frustrations.The underdevelopment witnessed in every sector of Nigeria is worst with Healthcare due to the fact that healthcare is expensive.Do you know how many Nigerians die from bloodl loss and hypovolemic shock following Road accidents and trauma?

The hospital may however have failed if the index of suspicion of the diagnosis was poor by the team managing her.Inadequate critical care facilities is the order in our healthcare system.

This incident is a failure of the healthcare system.Its the reason I relocated abroad since 2005 to have a fulfilling practice in Europe.

What you have described is a summary of pathophysiology of organ failure in DIC that any medical student should know well. But you are in error in assuming that all cases will result in multi organ failure 'early on' which is where you missed the boat.

As a matter of fact they don't. Even when there is organ failure they are usually reversible. It is not a case any doctor would like to have but it is also one of those cases where a sound clinical mind and good judgement is as important maybe more important than machines. The question is did these doctors exercise that judgement?

I think not. She was taken back to theater apparently to ligate bleeding vessels 24hrs after surgery with blood oozing from everywhere from the accounts stated. It seems to me they were confused. Some of us enjoy what we do. Unsung but heroically saving lives everyday. And we love it here. There are good and bad doctors everywhere even in Europe and America. Nigeria certainly has its share

By the way your ffp is good to have but with patient in shock, I respectfully request that you keep it while I use my fwb.
Re: Lagos Investigates Portuguese Wife’s Death After Childbirth In Hospital (photo) by davidif: 4:11am On Apr 05, 2017
They should shut down that hospital.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT / Floods Cause Increase In Snakebite Cases In Nigeria / Causes Of Irregular Menstrual Periods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.