Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,652 members, 7,820,262 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

What Makes Clothes Fade? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / What Makes Clothes Fade? (7288 Views)

Fade Ogunro- Before & After Make-up Look / Does Fade Milk Cream Good For A Black Person? / Afro Vs Hi Top Fade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes Clothes Fade? by coliccmon: 9:44am On Dec 28, 2009
Anytime I get new set of clothes, i always wonder how to take good care of them and prevent them from fading.

There has been many speculations about what makes dresses fade. Some say it's the type of detergent or soap you use, others say it's exposure to sunlight and some say it's when you actually iron them.

What really causes clother/dresses to fade and is there any preventive measures?
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by madlady(f): 10:06am On Dec 28, 2009
@Poster,

Avoid putting them in the washing machine, if possible handwash.

Use a very gently liquid detergent or none at all (i try not to use any)

Only wear items ones before washing, if possible.

Avoid drying clothes in strong sunlight, apart from whites.

Use starch on cottons and linens, helps items stay clean longer. smiley
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by iice(f): 10:08am On Dec 28, 2009
If you have to use a strong detergent, don't pour directly on clothes and don't soak for longer than necessary. Just to add to what madlady has already posted
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by coliccmon: 12:17pm On Dec 28, 2009
I see, You ladies sure do know how to do these things.
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by coliccmon: 9:05pm On Dec 28, 2009
only wear items ones before washing

Obviously cannot apply to jeans since it fades them even more. Right?
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by madlady(f): 10:57pm On Dec 28, 2009
coliccmon:

Yes that's right, but I never wash with any form of detergent. I rub/scrub certain parts, hem and the other parts.
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by mamagee3(f): 1:28am On Dec 29, 2009
Very rough cleaning agents. tongue
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by iice(f): 4:54am On Dec 29, 2009
coliccmon:

I'd say twice. Though i wear mine once (Lets just say i collect jeans). Anyway madlady is right with the washing of certain parts. The hem, butt, knees and waistline are usually the parts that get dirty so, scrubbing parts of them does help reduce the speed of fading.
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by Nobody: 4:29am On Dec 31, 2009
1. Consistent washing

2. Bleach grin even the "Protective bleach"

3.Roughness

4. Overuse

5. Washing Dark, color and white clothes together. Took me a while to get a hang of this too undecided
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by mohawkchic(f): 4:50pm On Dec 31, 2009
~How many of you are guilty of NOT reading the washing instructions on clothes!! grin

Read the Care Label
It takes a few seconds, but reading the care labels may save a lot of heartache when your clothes come out of the wash. Check for instructions that may say to wash only in cold, or with like colors. Don't forget to check for drying instructions as well. The label may indicate that the clothing needs to be dried on low, or drip dried.

Wash Dark Colors Together
Sorting clothes is a great opportunity to check the care label, and place your clothing in the correct pile. Anyone who has ever washed one red sock with an entire load of whites, knows the pain that can happen when colors fade away. To prevent dark colors from fading, keep like colors together.

Turn Clothes Inside Out
Some of the wear and tear that happens on your clothing can be prevented by turning your clothing inside out before washing and drying. Washing and drying clothing is rough on the outside of your clothing. Turning garments inside out will reduce pilling which dulls the look of the fabric. Don't forget to turn clothing inside out when you hang clothes outside to dry. While the sun is an excellent and efficient drying tool, it will zap the color right out of your clothing.

Add Vinegar
Vinegar doesn't have the most pleasant smell, but adding a cup to your washing machine will not only give you a natural fabric softener, but also help prevent colors from fading. The good news? The vinegar smell goes away in the wash.
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 31, 2009
mohawkchic:

~How many of you are guilty of NOT reading the washing instructions on clothes!! grin
grin grin grin
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by selencious(f): 3:56pm On Feb 10, 2010
Always use a non-chlorine bleach. You could use a bathing soap or mild shampoo if you can't get a non-chlorine bleach. Avoid over wearing and over washing em.
Re: What Makes Clothes Fade? by uzomalahot: 3:22pm On Nov 14, 2023

(1) (Reply)

Rihanna’s Hairstyles Through The Years / Ladies!! Here Are The Top 15 Hair Style That Can Make You Win Your Man / Louis Vuitton Selling Ghana Must Go Bags For $300 (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.