Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) (111517 Views)

Expanded Polystyrene And Some Of Its Application / Expanded Poly-Styrene As Alternative Building Material (parapet, POP, Etc) / ALTERNATIVE BUILDING TECHNOLOGY (RED INTERLOCKING BRICKS) COMPARATIVE COST ANALY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 5:40pm On May 01, 2017
quote author=Flashmove post=56107960]
Do you have the one i can use for slap casting/'decking of duplex[/quote]
What thickness do you need. Can you send a mail to frugesarenaltd@gmail.com
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 5:40pm On May 01, 2017
Do you have the one i can use for slap casting/'decking of duplex[/quote]
What thickness do you need . Can you send a mail to frugesarenaltd@gmail.com
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Flashmove: 5:54pm On May 01, 2017
Teewhy2:
Do you have the one i can use for slap casting/'decking of duplex
What thickness do you need . Can you send a mail to frugesarenaltd@gmail.com
a
I dont know the thickness they used for decking thats why i need your option and prices for the rooms are 15x 15 ft , 15x 13 and 20x 13 fs

check your email
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 10:46am On May 03, 2017
Frequently Asked Question.[center][/center]

1) what is the cost effectiveness of using Expanded Polystyrene material compared to concrete for users who are not building beyond a floor and are building on a dry land

Our Wire Mesh EPS panels come in modules of 1.2m and if you provide us with a drawing of your building we will do an Abacus (wall panel breakdown) and cut out all the wall panels including window and door openings needed to erect the building. These wall panels can be assembled in a day. Imagine all the walls of your building up in a day!! After panel assembly and M&E works, the walls are then sprayed and plastered. This building system allows for rapid assembly with little or no need for lifting equipment, less construction time and lower foundation costs compared to traditional systems because the material is so light. No skilled labour is required. If you are building a bungalow on 'dry land' as you say then you do not need anything more that a german floor slab or strip foundation
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by set2build: 10:52am On May 03, 2017
Teewhy2:

we sell this Material in lagos, we are a distributor to the company that produce it in Abuja.

you can reach us on frugesarenaltd@gmail.com

Do you also install?
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 11:40am On May 03, 2017
set2build:

Do you also install?

we can supply and install the Material for you as well.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Cindino20(m): 1:29pm On May 03, 2017
Good day,

I would like to enquire about the cost per metre of installing this polystyrene parapet. the dimension of my project is ca.(10 by 20) metres.

I also sent you a mail if you dont wanna drop the price here.

Advise: I think it will be better for you and for future clients if you drop an a sample cost evaluation here on nairaland..

Thanks
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by ak22(m): 2:09pm On May 07, 2017
Teewhy2:
With the current increasing cost in building a house in Nigeria, and with the Nigeria Culture/Mentality
“I must have my own House” a lot of Nigerians have been looking for various building material options which are relatively cheaper and perform the same function as the conventional ones.

One of such material options which I will be focusing on this thread is Expanded Polystyrene (EPS), This material is strong, durable, light weight, water resistance with excellent thermal insulation which is very popular in Environmentally “Green” Homes.

Expanded Polystyrene is an affordable and incredibly sustainable choice in the construction circle due to versatility and performance.

It can be used in construction as a structural base infill for example in floor Slab, Roads, Bridges Railway infrastructure, or as a structural element of its own, Roof Eaves, wall (partition), Décor Materials.

Structural test carried on EPS has showing that after used in construction for 30 years still remain strong as when first used.

I will be focusing on Polystyrene Roof Cornices (Parapet) in the next few days

If you are in a dilemma on the cost of constructing Roof Parapet for your building, or your building is located on a loose soil, I will advise you to go for Polystyrene roof parapet due to the following reasons.

It is Light in weight
It is cheaper compared to concrete (that is it eliminates the cost of wood form work both material and labour, less reinforcement)
It is faster and easy to install.
It is Neater than most parapet as it has been formed using a machine.

Let us look at how Polystyrene Parapet is installed

The proper way of installing Polystyrene is first to install a 2 x 2 softwood around the building area where the parapet will seat to take levels and also to make sure it is set on a straight line. In order to reduce cost you can make use of rope line to take reference between the two corners of the side of a building and when you are sure it is straight, then nail at interval of 600mm (2 feets) and place the parapets on it.

The Second stage is fastening of the Roof parapet to the open roof beam reinforcement ( less I forget you can either leave part of the roof beam reinforcement say 1” open when you are doing the roof beam casting or cast the roof beam after the Roof parapet has been fastening to the roof reinforcement with the aid of binding wire and nails).

The next stage is that a light casting of saying 1½” is done on the roof beam to cover all open reinforcement.

The Last stage is to screed the joints of the Roofing parapet to have a uniform and smooth surface.

Next time we will be looking at the cost of Polystyrene parapet as against in situ Parapet.

My ogas (these people I am mentioning don’t know me because I have been a silent reader of some of their posts) Skimanski , spyder880 , mufutau55 , Segcymoor , Twinskenny , saydfact , FastShipping , rotecch77 , ArcBoB , ba7man , CASTOSVILLA , abdulwastecx , thewatcher2020 , cribpark , lawyer and many others not mentioned in this post
In the house, you can tell us about your experience using polystyrene as a building material either as roof parapet, or fill in for concrete, etc.

For more information on Polystyrene material feel free to contact me on frugesarenaltd@gmail.com

Good day I need ur contact urgently
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Flashmove: 2:50pm On May 07, 2017
Good day,

I would like to enquire about the cost per metre of installing this polystyrene parapet. the dimension of my project is ca.(17 by 12) metres.

send the qoutation to below email

mouthstory @ gmail com
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by laydub: 6:47pm On May 07, 2017
Hello, please could you send your contact to me on layioladubu@gmail.com. thanjd
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 10:09pm On May 07, 2017
Flashmove:
Good day,

I would like to enquire about the cost per metre of installing this polystyrene parapet. the dimension of my project is ca.(17 by 12) metres.

send the qoutation to below email

mouthstory @ gmail com
laydub:
Hello, please could you send your contact to me on layioladubu@gmail.com. thanjd
Done
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by charlesadeoye(m): 1:14pm On May 09, 2017
contact too to chaz_adey@yahoo.com... i am highly interested.....
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 1:02pm On May 11, 2017
Advantages of POLYSTYRENE PARAPET

1. Lightweight
2. Straight and Precise Profiles
3. Fast and Easy to Install
4. Perfect for new buildings, renovations or restorations
5. Limitless design possibilities
6. Cost effective

Attached are write ups on type of parapet and their uniqueness

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Nobody: 12:16am On May 14, 2017
Where is your location
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 5:30pm On May 14, 2017
Asese ibafo along Lagos ibadan expressway way
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by lagosrd: 9:16pm On May 14, 2017
Playing around with fire..... Ok
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 7:02pm On May 15, 2017
lagosrd:
Playing around with fire..... Ok
This product is fire resistance as it is use in building attach is product data sheet.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 3:42pm On May 16, 2017
Advantages of POLYSLAB versus Solid Floor Slab & Waffle Floor Slab Construction

1. The Polyslab is lightweight therefore reduced labour costs in handling and significant cost savings in both substructure & superstructure.
2. Reduced construction time as materials are pre cut to structural engineer's specifications at the factory
3.Excellent sound and thermal insulating properties
4. Fast & Easy to Install.
​5. Used to form either a 1-way or 2-way ribbed floor slab with various dimensions, depths, rib spacing and width

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Emusan(m): 9:15pm On May 17, 2017
Teewhy2:

Kindly send a mail to frugesarenaltd@gmail.com so that I can forward all necessary information to you.
Thanks

I'll mail you on this because I need more info and how we can partner.

I live in Abuja.
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Matthew4sure(m): 11:52pm On May 19, 2017
can I have your direct No
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by joechingo: 1:09am On May 20, 2017
am super interested in this material, am based in Kano, i will like to know where to purchase ds materials and how to use them, I will be pleased if info is sent to my mail jbechioda@gmail.com, regards
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 4:01pm On May 22, 2017
Do you Know that polystyrene are also used for window sills, Mid Bands and Internal cornices for you. Building on a swampy area shouldn't deter you from adding aesthetics to your building even when it is not considered during the foundation stage as polystyrene is a dead weight on the building. check out the various mid bands , window sill and internal cornices available.

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Daboomb: 6:36pm On May 26, 2017
Teewhy2:
Do you Know that polystyrene are also used for window sills, Mid Bands and Internal cornices for you. Building on a swampy area shouldn't deter you from adding aesthetics to your building even when it is not considered during the foundation stage as polystyrene is a dead weight on the building. check out the various mid bands , window sill and internal cornices available.

How can most people know?

These pictures are too tiny for people to see.

Cant you expand them and paste the Big pictures?
You could also `increase interest by attaching Price/meter to each one.

I think if people get enough information about this product, they may be very interested in using it.

3 Likes

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 7:32pm On May 26, 2017
Daboomb:

How can most people know?

These pictures are too tiny for people to see.

Cant you expand them and paste the Big pictures?
You could also `increase interest by attaching Price/meter to each one.

I think if people get enough information about this product, they may be very interested in using it.

Thanks sir for the comment, we would work on them, we had to reduce some of the pictures pixel because of the kb allowed to upload on the site.

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by CioAngels(f): 12:24pm On May 27, 2017
If it is okay for roofing, what is the cost to roof a 3 bedroom flat
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by ifortenet(m): 1:14pm On May 31, 2017
Are you saying the EPS can be used instead of BLOCK in erecting a bungalow on dry land, please explain in details
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by ifortenet(m): 1:15pm On May 31, 2017
Are you saying the EPS can be used instead of BLOCK in erecting a bungalow on dry land, please explain in details

Teewhy2:
Frequently Asked Question.[center][/center]

1) what is the cost effectiveness of using Expanded Polystyrene material compared to concrete for users who are not building beyond a floor and are building on a dry land

Our Wire Mesh EPS panels come in modules of 1.2m and if you provide us with a drawing of your building we will do an Abacus (wall panel breakdown) and cut out all the wall panels including window and door openings needed to erect the building. These wall panels can be assembled in a day. Imagine all the walls of your building up in a day!! After panel assembly and M&E works, the walls are then sprayed and plastered. This building system allows for rapid assembly with little or no need for lifting equipment, less construction time and lower foundation costs compared to traditional systems because the material is so light. No skilled labour is required. If you are building a bungalow on 'dry land' as you say then you do not need anything more that a german floor slab or strip foundation
Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 2:36pm On May 31, 2017
ifortenet:

This system can be used autonomously in structural load-bearing applications or it can be integrated into traditional post-beam construction. It employs versatile, light weight panels that can be cut and shaped to create any architectural feature. The panels consist of a corrugated Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) core surrounded by an electro-welded galvanized steel mesh. After the panels have been assembled, concrete is applied in layers by means of high velocity spray guns.

Advantages of PIL Technology vs. Conventional Block Building
High Heat Shield for Tropics
• Fast Build: 5 to 9 days
• Labour: 4 to 7 persons
• Large indigenous employment skilled/semi-skilled
• Inexpensive fast & exact Replications
• Rapid Manufacture
• Best for mass production and speed
• 15% Lower Costs
• 42% Energy Savings
• 29% Higher Acoustic Performance
• 8x Speed of Construction High Heat Shield for Tropics
• Slow Build: 25-40 days
• Labour: 25 to 26 persons
• Primarily Semi-skilled
• Can Run into Major Cost Overruns
• Rapid Manufacture
• Bulk, heavy & expensive concrete structures

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 5:57pm On Jun 03, 2017
what is the effective of Sun and Rain on the parapet after installation but not covered with roofing for a long period of time, and the Life span of the product.

The integrity of the polystyrene remains the same as our material is non-biodegradable and will not erode, expand or shrink over time. However we do recommend that roofing is done as early as possible as EPS is still a fragile material which if left exposed could get damaged. Our External Cornices (Parapet) are actually our bestsellers and have proved to be extremely popular in and outside of the state. This is because our product is not only cheaper (cost effective, no formwork,casting and curing of concrete) than the conventional concrete cornice; but it is also lightweight, extremely easy to install and flexible in terms of profile design ( any shape/design is achievable)

Re: Alternative Building Material (expanded Polystyrene) by Teewhy2: 5:57pm On Jun 03, 2017
what is the effective of Sun and Rain on the parapet after installation but not covered with roofing for a long period of time, and the Life span of the product.

The integrity of the polystyrene remains the same as our material is non-biodegradable and will not erode, expand or shrink over time. However we do recommend that roofing is done as early as possible as EPS is still a fragile material which if left exposed could get damaged. Our External Cornices (Parapet) are actually our bestsellers and have proved to be extremely popular in and outside of the state. This is because our product is not only cheaper (cost effective, no formwork,casting and curing of concrete) than the conventional concrete cornice; but it is also lightweight, extremely easy to install and flexible in terms of profile design ( any shape/cdesign is achievable)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Kitchen cabinets, Wardrobes & Doors @ Touchstone Design Solutions / 4 BEDROOM DUPLEX (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.