Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,671 members, 7,816,759 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon (2355 Views)

Why Buhari Is Likely To Win In 2019 By Yakubu Jimoh / Emeka Ojukwu Jnr Joins APC At APC Mega Rally In Anambra (Photos) / Open Letter Of Resignation To Ojukwu By Robert S. Goldstein 1968 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by emi14: 7:05am On Apr 07, 2017
Tribute to Emeka Ojukwu - by Yakubu Gowon.

Never mind, I once referred to him as 'Rebel Leader'! That was the appropriate language of the official perception of his role at that time, during the Nigerian Civil War; but he was His Excellency, Col. Chukwuemeka Odumegwu - Ojukwu, Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria. However, i can testify that he was not only a remarkable and interesting man, he was also a brave and courageous Soldier - Statesman. I say this because i knew him as a colleague and he was my friend.

However, owing to the fact that we were on opposing sides of the civil war, many had thought that Emeka and I were arch enemies. We were not. I never refered to him or the Igbos as enemies, privately, personally or officially. However, as the leader of the government of Eastern Nigeria that sought to break away from Nigeria ( a factor that led to the Nigerian Civil War), Military Governor Ojukwu was seen by many as my adversary because at that time, I happened to be the Head of the Federal military Government of Nigeria. But I did not see Emeka Ojukwu as an hostile adversary or enemy and the worst endeared way I can describe him was a ‘rebel’! We were friends and colleagues before the events leading to the civil war and would like to point out that we were contemporaries after he enlisted as a graduate cadet officer and later commissioned into the Nigerian Army and joined us in late 1958.

I believe that Ojukwu and I had one thing in common. We were both principled men and it might even be said that the Civil War resulted largely because we both stuck to our principles! We swore an oath of loyalty to our country, Nigeria. This was the ideal we both held before the crisis that engulfed the country on 1966-1967. I concede, in all honesty, that Emeka Ojukwu could be justified in taking a stand for the defence and protection of his people in the circumstances of the country at the time. I was trying to do the same at the national level at that time. I understand and respected his position but not the extreme position he took which I felt was misguided. I wished we had toiled more to avoid secession. I strongly believe that if Ojukwu was in my shoes he would have done exactly the same as I did during those crucial years. What was done was not a personal or group dislike or hatred. Emeka was never my enemy nor are the Igbos. We never disliked each other. We only disliked the stand and actions taken by the other.

The cumulative effects of the events of 1966-67 unfortunately brought about the schism between us personally and officially that ultimately led to the unfortunate civil war of 1967-70 which regrettably brought out the best and worst of our human nature. Thankfully efforts from both sides brough about the resolution of our crisis, with Ojukwu in the interest of his people to have peace, left to sue for peace and for his successors to end the armed conflict and for the Federal side to offer end of hostilities with a ‘No Victor, No vanquished’ policy and a robust programme of the 3Rs – Reconcilliation, Rehabilitation and Reconstruction programme which heralded the historic reconciliation to the credit of Nigerians from both sides of the divide.

I feel happy that ultimately Nigeria was preserved and reconciled, and enabled Ojukwu to return to Nigeria to continue to contribute his quota to the growth and development of a new and better Nigeria. It is also instructive that he was able to contest national elections into the highest office in the land. He will always remain relevant to our history, history of Nigeria, by the legacy he left behind.

After the war, when we were both exiled and outside Nigeria, Emeka, on a visit to the UK made a telephone call to my home in London while I was at the University of Warrick and spoke to my wife Victoria and left his telephone number and contact address with her. On my return home at the weekend, I reciprocated by calling and visiting him at his hotel, Mont Calm Hotel, Marble Arch in London where I could say our personal and initial ‘reconciliation’ began and sealed the national reconciliation that had earlier taken place in Nigeria. Thereafter, we had met many times in various parts of the country endorsing our personal and national reconciliation. I was also able to visit him at his home in Enugu after our Nigeria Prays Programme in that city in April 2010. I paid a condolence visit to him and his wife, Bianca for the death of his late former wife, Njide, and his father-in-law, former Governor C. C. Onoh with whom I was very close. I was very warmly received by the family and my leave taking on that occasion was so moving as the staff around showed much appreciation and love. His eldest Son, Chief Debe Odumegwu Ojukwu whom I know from childhood wrote a touching endearing letter to inform me of his father’s demise which says it all ‘...you may have fought a war against each other...a facade to the outside world, but to us the family, especially myself.. you ingeniously remained friends till the very end. Let his death soothe and garner lasting peace for our country Nigeria...’ I say Amen! Let all say Amen!!

When I learnt of his admission to hospital in London and i rang to speak to him and or his darling wife Bianca, the call was answered by his young daughter, Ebele who was the only one available at the time holding forth and keeping watch over her sick father. She told me that Daddy was sleeping. We had a pleasant chat and i gave her a message, to tell Daddy that he had no right to be sick at this jostling time and that he should hurry up and get well and out of hospital and return home so that we can continue with and finish our fight! Young Ebele burst into ecstatic laughter of understanding that touched my heart and promised to relay the message. Subsequently, I learnt fron Ojukwu's Chief of Staff that she faithfully relayed the message to the family, her mother and all that were there. I am sure the old Soldier got the message and would have smiled, smiled of approval!

On learning of his death, I called to commiserate with the family. His Chief of Staff, Bob who answered the call promised to relay the condolence message. I salute the memory of a brave soldier and worthy friend. The only regret I have is that I did not make an effort to draft Emeka into our Nigeria Prays ministry to join me and many others in praying for Nigeria. Who knows whether with his experience of the horrors of the civil war and the powers of prayer we would not have sooner been saved the scourge of the violence, bombing, kidnappings and mayhem being lately experienced in the nation. My prayer is that the Lord may have mercy on his soul and uphold the lovely family he left behind and grant Nigeria peace and love of one another.

I join all my Ndigbo brothers and sisters, living and the dead, all Nigerians in mourning and celebrating their and Nigeria’s illustrious Son, my brother, friend and old colleague – Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu.

Adieu dear brother and friend, rest in peace till we meet again at our Lord’s presence.

General Yakubu Gowon, GCFR

1 Like

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by Histrings08(m): 7:21am On Apr 07, 2017
Pfft
Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by sarrki(m): 7:22am On Apr 07, 2017
Following
Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by royal231(m): 7:26am On Apr 07, 2017
Ok.. Why you no attend him burial na... Abi u say na your friend..

IPOB for tear you into peices.. Because ojukwus manhood still lives on..

4 Likes

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by mightyhaze: 7:28am On Apr 07, 2017
Useless epistle!
Biafra genocide happened about 50yrs ago and d affected ppl hav long moved on,..

U shd be more concerned about d genocides goin on in ur region now,..i wish u cud write epistles on those ones,.. and possibly expedite a fraction of the actions ur boasting of now. Ur endangered and hapless region needs it quite urgently now

7 Likes

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by hucienda: 7:31am On Apr 07, 2017
General Chukwuemeka Ojukwu

Eloquent. Fearless. Witty.

#Legend

3 Likes

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by Ikeg: 7:38am On Apr 07, 2017
I stopped reading this crap when he made the comment

No Victor, No vanquished’ policy and a robust programme of the 3Rs – Reconcilliation, Rehabilitation and Reconstruction

Where was this for Asaba or any other Anioma areas you lots destroyed? In addition to Eastern regions as well. The areas that did experience the war didn't get the 3Rs, the areas that didn't, did. F2k off with your unnecessary talking Gowon. Nobody wants to hear it. My only happiness is the masters you went killing for is giving your people pepper.
The evil you did, you sow. tongue

7 Likes

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by BLACKdagger: 7:55am On Apr 07, 2017
Rubbish!... d blood of innocent kids u shed will foreva wail on ya head!

6 Likes

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by militarily: 8:12am On Apr 07, 2017
Ojukwu was an enigma!

3 Likes

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by monsterlobster: 9:08am On Apr 07, 2017
Blehh
Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by odduduwa: 9:34am On Apr 07, 2017
GOWON LISTEN I HAVE SOMETHING FOR YOU ,AS A GROWING BOY I WAS TOLD OF THE CIVIL AND I WAS ITS BIAFRA OR NO ONE ELSE .YOU KILL MARKET WOMEN ,CHILDREN AND AGED FATHERS AND YOU EXPECT US TO FORGER LISTEN GOWON I HAVE ONE PRAYER FOR YOU SND ITS YOU LL LIVE LONGER ENOUGH TO MEET ME ONE ON ONE BUT IT WONT BE A PLEASANT ONE I GUARANTEE YOU ONE THING YOU LL BEG TO DIE BUT IT LL BE TOO LATE GOWON GOWON WE LL NOT FORGET ,GENERAL OJUKWU HAS GONE BUT WE WONT FORGET HIS INSTRUCTION AND IT STANDS ,I RESERVE THE REST TILL WE MEET FACE TO FACE

1 Like

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by ihitenansa: 9:34am On Apr 07, 2017
If you had heeded to aburi accord,nigeria would have been a better place. There wudt hav been a war and resultant badblood,..and u won't be sounding this lonely and traumatised now!

2 Likes

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by naijacampu(m): 9:37am On Apr 07, 2017
He's a war criminal, nothing more.

1 Like

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by ihitenansa: 10:00am On Apr 07, 2017
naijacampu:
He's a war criminal, nothing more.
in saner climes,he should be cooling his heels in a nice dark jail,..not writing long epistles

3 Likes

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by Akissani: 10:25am On Apr 07, 2017
odduduwa:
GOWON LISTEN I HAVE SOMETHING FOR YOU ,AS A GROWING BOY I WAS TOLD OF THE CIVIL AND I WAS ITS BIAFRA OR NO ONE ELSE .YOU KILL MARKET WOMEN ,CHILDREN AND AGED FATHERS AND YOU EXPECT US TO FORGER LISTEN GOWON I HAVE ONE PRAYER FOR YOU SND ITS YOU LL LIVE LONGER ENOUGH TO MEET ME ONE ON ONE BUT IT WONT BE A PLEASANT ONE I GUARANTEE YOU ONE THING YOU LL BEG TO DIE BUT IT LL BE TOO LATE GOWON GOWON WE LL NOT FORGET ,GENERAL OJUKWU HAS GONE BUT WE WONT FORGET HIS INSTRUCTION AND IT STANDS ,I RESERVE THE REST TILL WE MEET FACE TO FACE
akpamu
Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by AbuEzeFemi(m): 12:56pm On Apr 07, 2017
God bless the soul of His Excellency Col Ojukwu Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria
Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by AbuEzeFemi(m): 1:00pm On Apr 07, 2017
God bless our dearly beloved His Excellency Gen Yakubu Gowon Head of State Nigeria President Federal Military Government Nigeria
Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by drakura: 1:23pm On Apr 07, 2017
Why now

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by DrGoodman: 1:30pm On Apr 07, 2017
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, the greatest hero ever to come out of black Africa.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by DrGoodman: 1:32pm On Apr 07, 2017
mightyhaze:
Useless epistle!
Biafra genocide happened about 50yrs ago and d affected ppl hav long moved on,..

U shd be more concerned about d genocides goin on in ur region now,..i wish u cud write epistles on those ones,.. and possibly expedite a fraction of the actions ur boasting of now. Ur endangered and hapless region needs it quite urgently now

Now, his middle belt people are facing what Biafra survived.

1 Like

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by CriticMaestro: 1:34pm On Apr 07, 2017
the same Gowan said ojukwu is a coward who abandoned his people and ran, even after reassuring them he will stay and fight till the last man...story of Nigerian leaders, at the end is everyone for himself
Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by kingzizzy: 2:13pm On Apr 07, 2017
Gowon is a hypocrite and a war criminal.

While Ojukwu was fighting to liberate his people from the shackles of Northern domination, Gowon was fighting for Oil money on the guise of 'keeping Nigeria one'

This same hypocrite called Gowon who is claiming to be a 'principled man' was not principled enough to honour the Aburi agreement he signed in Ghana. And this led to the war

Let Gowon tell Nigerians the truth instead of lying through his teeth. Gowon was an opportunist who exploited Murutala Mohammeds counter coup to get to power. Despite just being a Lt Colonel with several people senior to him like Brigadier Ogundipe, Colonel Adebayor, colonel Imo and even Ojukwu, Gowon siezed power to represent 'The Northerners'.

Gowon in his first broadcast announced that 'There is no basis for Nigerian unity'. Two days later, Gowon suddenly changed his mind when he was informed of the huge Oil wealth in Eastern Region and he started singing the tune of 'one Nigeria' louder than a Canary. Till today, Nigerias unity is still all about oil.

In other to control Nigeria, Gowon and his Northern goons decided to break the Aburi agreement by introducing 'divide and rule" through the dissolution of the 4 Regions and creating 12 states.

With the breaking of the Aburi agreement, the 3 Regions in the south (Western, Mid West and Eastern) were faced with 2 sad realities, accept Northern domination or declare your freedom and fight for it. The Western Region and Yorubas along with the Mid West chose the cowards way out and readily accepted Northern slavery. Ojukwu stood up, declared his people free and fought 3 years to hold on that freedom. At the end, Ojukwu flew into exile and Biafra agreed to a ceasefire. The cost was millions dead, just because of Oil.

50 years on, Nigeria has not progressed, it has not moved foward, it has not united, the agitation for Biafra is still strong. The Northern Region that was fighting to contol the economic and political life of Nigeria is the poorest, least educated and hotbed of sectarian violence and terrorism. Nigeria failed as a nation just like Ojukwu thought it would, the man must be laughing in his grave.

Gowon the lier, Northern hegemonist, war criminal and disaster of a leader is still alive to see the Nigeria he kept one and what it turned out to be

1 Like

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by gberra: 2:58pm On Apr 07, 2017
Ipob always cry!
Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by jullty: 3:05pm On Apr 07, 2017
[color=#550000][/color]

Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by militarily: 3:09pm On Apr 07, 2017
kingzizzy:
Gowon in a hypocrite and a war criminal.

While Ojukwu was fighting to liberate his people from the shackles of Northern domination, Gowon was fighting for Oil money on the guise of 'keeping Nigeria one'

This same hypocrite called Gowon who is claiming to be a 'principled man' was not principled enough to honour the Aburi agreement he signed in Ghana. And this led to the war

Let Gowon tell Nigerians the truth instead of lying through his teeth. Gowon was an opportunist who exploited Murutala Mohammeds counter coup to get to power. Despite just being a Lt Colonel with several people senior to him like Brigadier Ogundipe, Colonel Adebayor, colonel Imo and even Ojukwu, Gowon siezed power to represent 'The Northerners'.

Gowon in his first broadcast announced that 'There is no basis for Nigerian unity'. Two days later, Gowon suddenly changed his mind when he was informed of the huge Oil wealth in Eastern Region and he started singing the tune of 'one Nigeria' louder than a Canary. Till today, Nigerias unity is still all about oil.

In other to control Nigeria, Gowon and his Northern goons decided to break the Aburi agreement by introducing 'divide and rule" through the dissolution of the 4 Regions and creating 12 states.

With the breaking of the Aburi agreement, the 3 Regions in the south (Western, Mid West and Eastern) were faced with 2 sad realities, accept Northern domination or declare your freedom and fight for it. The Western Region and Yorubas along with the Mid West chose the cowards way out and readily accepted Northern slavery. Ojukwu stood up, declared his people free and fought 3 years to hold on that freedom. At the end, Ojukwu flew into exile and Biafra agreed to a ceasefire. The cost was millions dead, just because of Oil.

50 years on, Nigeria has not progressed, it has not moved foward, it has not united, the agitation for Biafra is still strong. The Northern Region that was fighting to contol the economic and political life of Nigeria is the poorest, least educated and hotbed of sectarian violence and terrorism. Nigeria failed as a nation just like Ojukwu thought it would, the man must be laughing in his grave.

Gowon the lier, Northern hegemonist, war criminal and disaster of a leader is still alive to see the Nigeria he kept one and what it turned out to be
the gaspl!
Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 07, 2017
It appears that time is up for Gowon...first visit to PMB, next is tribute to Ojukwu..

May God forgive him all his sins grin grin grin
Re: Tribute To Emeka Ojukwu - By Yakubu Gowon by AngelicBeing: 6:07pm On Apr 07, 2017
Keneking:
It appears that time is up for Gowon...first visit to PMB, next is tribute to Ojukwu..

May God forgive him all his sins grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

No Restructuring, No Nigeria, Niger Delta Elders To FG / Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. / BIAFRA: Igbo Group In Diaspora Proposes New Name For IPOB....ZIMOJASS!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.