Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,697 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." (3071 Views)

Coronavirus: Corpers Can Go Home - NYSC DG, Shuaibu Ibrahim / NYSC: Avoid Unnecessary Journey – DG To Corps Members / NYSC Issues 6-point Warning To Corps Members In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 9:44am On Apr 08, 2017
It's your POP, you are happy. You can't wait to get out of the nightmarish condition of the past year. You can't wait to see Mommy and Daddy. It's fine. But let me say to you, "Do not go home after your service year." Why?

Well, it's one of some numerous decisions I regretted on my part despite waiting for nearly a month in the Eastern part of the country (where I served) after my POP.

The most probable job I could get was teaching and it would be good but the nostalgic feeling and the thought of a better job in Lagos erased any sense of foresight in me.

I can't say for a female not to go back but it would be pusillanimous for a male (especially a firstborn) to start lapping at Momma's hand again. It diminishes you and you lose the respect you only earned in the first week.

Remember the word of our Lord Jesus Christ, "A man has no honour in his country."

I totally agree because I was respected where I served and as a Lagosian, my Principal, the teachers and students believe anything I say, even when I make mistakes, they believe an average Westerner is enlightened, exposed and more educated. In fact, my Principal worshipped all of us Westerners.

I never knew I was handsome till I got to the East. Eastern ladies love we Western guys ( I don't know why). In fact, one of them threatened to visit my friend in Ibadan if he ever left the East. We both left and the lady (she was an undergraduate in the university there) kept to her words. My friend thought she was joking until she called that she was in Lagos (at her aunt's place) and when she should visit him. That's another opportunity we missed that we hardly find at home with our "hard to get" ladies.

I served in a state capital, so it would be incredulous to say I wouldn't get a job after my service year. I wouldn't want to bore you with different jobs I could do. But I made a terrible mistake when I secured a ticket to board a bus back to Lagos. Oh, how I wish I could turn the hands of the clock. Unfortunately, Father Time waits for no man.

When I got home (the only time I travelled home throughout the one year), my family was elated, I was treated like a king, however, it lasted for only 10 days..

Then the pressure started calling: depression, pessimism, anger, irritation etcetera. Eventually, after much scrounging, I got a job. It was okay, I could stay on my own a little far from my parents. But I wasn't fulfilled because want I really wanted to do, I would have done it easily in the East as I was bound to see more opportunities as a foreigner and my command of my local language could endear me to a kinsman established there already. But I was myopic.

Well, the euphoria of getting a new job only lasted for a year and the desire to be what I want to be and to move from home crept over me again. Life is not all about money (though it is important), the environment also plays its own part and Lagos is just 1/37 of Nigeria.

So, I took a bold decision, saved some money, resigned my job and I relocated even farther (to the North) this time.

As I crossed the River Niger, I demolished the bridge in my mind not to go back till I fulfill my desire.

Therefore, I have demolished my bridges and I have no choice than to move forward.

With the little money, I set myself on my career path and my family now respect me more for being a man. Surprisingly, they all support my dreams, aspirations, desires and goals.

The "hard to get" ladies are somehow jealous because I'm out of their reach. You always want to grasp what is afar.

Law 16: USE ABSENCE TO INCREASE RESPECT AND HONOUR. Don't appear too common.

Though, I may not be where I wanted to be but I'm better than yesterday and on the right path. Don't let people decide for you. I was pressured to come home with promises of different jobs offer so as to leave (which I fell for). But everything was a façade.

A decision I should have taken in 2015, I took now in 2017 and I feel happy and peaceful with myself.

Have you packed your bags? Think twice. You can visit your parents but don't live with them.

Once again, I can't say for a lady, but for a guy, "Quit ye like men and be strong."

And whatever decision in your heart, make sure you,

"Take it to the Lord in prayer,
In His arms He'll guide and shield thee,
And thou wilt find a solace there".

I wish you all the best in your future endeavours and may the peace of God be with you. Amen.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by abouzaid: 10:10am On Apr 08, 2017
Suurulere:
It's your POP, you are happy. You can't wait to get out of the nightmarish condition of the past year. You can't wait to see Mommy and Daddy. It's fine. But let me say to you, "Do not go home after your service year." Why?

Well, it's one of some numerous decisions I regretted on my part despite waiting for nearly a month in the Eastern part of the country (where I served) after my POP.

The most probable job I could get was teaching and it would be good but the nostalgic feeling and the thought of a better job in Lagos erased any sense of foresight in me.

I can't say for a female not to go back but it would be pusillanimous for a male (especially a firstborn) to start lapping at Momma's hand again. It diminishes you and you lose the respect you only earned in the first week.

Remember the word of our Lord Jesus Christ, "A man has no honour in his country."

I totally agree because I was respected where I served and as a Lagosian, my Principal, the teachers and students believe anything I say, even when I make mistakes, they believe an average Westerner is enlightened, exposed and more educated. In fact, my Principal worshipped all of us Westerners.

I never knew I was handsome till I got to the East. Eastern ladies love we Western guys ( I don't know why). In fact, one of them threatened to visit my friend in Ibadan if he ever left the East. We both left and the lady (she was an undergraduate in the university there) kept to her words. My friend thought she was joking until she called that she was in Lagos (at her aunt's place) and when she should visit him. That's another opportunity we missed that we hardly find at home with our "hard to get" ladies.

I served in a state capital, so it would be incredulous to say I wouldn't get a job after my service year. I wouldn't want to bore you with different jobs I could do. But I made a terrible mistake when I secured a ticket to board a bus back to Lagos. Oh, how I wish I could turn the hands of the clock. Unfortunately, Father Time waits for no man.

When I got home (the only time I travelled home throughout the one year), my family was elated, I was treated like a king, however, it lasted for only 10 days..

Then the pressure started calling: depression, pessimism, anger, irritation etcetera. Eventually, after much scrounging, I got a job. It was okay, I could stay on my own a little far from my parents. But I wasn't fulfilled because want I really wanted to do, I would have done it easily in the East as I was bound to see more opportunities as a foreigner and my command of my local language could endear me to a kinsman established there already. But I was myopic.

Well, the euphoria of getting a new job only lasted for a year and the desire to be what I want to be and to move from home crept over me again. Life is not all about money (though it is important), the environment also plays its own part and Lagos is just 1/37 of Nigeria.

So, I took a bold decision, saved some money, resigned my job and I relocated even farther (to the North) this time.

As I crossed the River Niger, I demolished the bridge in my mind not to go back till I fulfill my desire.

Therefore, I have demolished my bridges and I have no choice than to move forward.

With the little money, I set myself on my career path and my family now respect me more for being a man. Surprisingly, they all support my dreams, aspirations, desires and goals.

The "hard to get" ladies are somehow jealous because I'm out of their reach. You always want to grasp what is afar.

Though, I may not be where I wanted to be but I'm better than yesterday and on the right path. Don't let people decide for you. I was pressured to come home with promises of different jobs offer so as to leave (which I fell for). But everything was a façade.

A decision I should have taken in 2015, I took now in 2017 and I feel happy and peaceful with myself.

Have you packed your bags? Think twice. You can visit your parents but don't live with them.

Once again, I can't say for a lady, but for a guy, "Quit ye like men and be strong."

I wish you all the best in your future endeavours and may the peace of God be with you. Amen.

your English is horrible and you're a sex pervert.maybe if you a hard working and self respecting guy,the girls won't be so hard for you to get.
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 10:16am On Apr 08, 2017
abouzaid:
your English is horrible and you're a sex pervert.maybe if you a hard working and self respecting guy,the girls won't be so hard for you to get.

Your case is different. May the Lord heal you quickly.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by kenny1st(m): 10:21am On Apr 08, 2017
I really find this piece somehow emotional and strong words of advise. I also consider your write up as a prophecy which is applicable to someone who is deep in thought. I am not a corper though but my brother I pick some useful details in your words.

A word they say is enough for the wise I just hope few guys can pick few things from this and have a rethink about their decisions, may God guide us all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by dingbang(m): 11:10am On Apr 08, 2017
Wisdom is profitable... You are a very wise person.. I urge fresh ex corp members to stay in the state they served and grow from there..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by abouzaid: 11:29am On Apr 08, 2017
Suurulere:

Your case is different. May the Lord heal you quickly.
self pervert forming pastor, enter the next cele church to collect your deliverance through flogging.

1 Like

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by aydes: 11:42am On Apr 08, 2017
Truly a word is enough for the wise. Many corners have fallen victim of this mistake, life should be a progressive one especially in this Nigeria where things are hard. Time lost fan never be regained, know what you want and go after it and pray. Am an ex-corner and a living testimony of this mistake.
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 08, 2017
There is a little sense in what you wrote but the part where you said easterners sees an average westerner as more educated and enlightened is a very big fallacy. We see westerners as mere ofe mmanu eaters especially in owerri my hometown.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 12:34am On Apr 09, 2017
kenny1st:
I really find this piece somehow emotional and strong words of advise. I also consider your write up as a prophecy which is applicable to someone who is deep in thought. I am not a corper though but my brother I pick some useful details in your words.

A word they say is enough for the wise I just hope few guys can pick few things from this and have a rethink about their decisions, may God guide us all.

Amen. I pray so.
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 12:36am On Apr 09, 2017
abouzaid:
self pervert forming pastor, enter the next cele church to collect your deliverance through flogging.

He who the gods want to destroy, they first make mad. But it is not too late you can still make a difference. May you be normal again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 12:39am On Apr 09, 2017
aydes:
Truly a word is enough for the wise. Many corners have fallen victim of this mistake, life should be a progressive one especially in this Nigeria where things are hard. Time lost fan never be regained, know what you want and go after it and pray. Am an ex-corner and a living testimony of this mistake.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one.” - Elbert Hubbard.

Please, help spread the message to our young corps members. Thanks for your candour.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 12:44am On Apr 09, 2017
Cajetanspeaks:
There is a little sense in what you wrote but the part where you said easterners sees an average westerner as more educated and enlightened is a very big fallacy. We see westerners as mere ofe mmanu eaters especially in owerri my hometown.

Then try to grab some sense from that "little sense". Even common sense is not common. It is you that do not respect Westerners and thank God I did not meet your type. The Easterners I met were dutiful and respectful and I admired them and respected them the same way. I still believe there are civilized Easterners that won't think like you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Nobody: 1:26am On Apr 09, 2017
Suurulere:

Then try to grab some sense from that "little sense". Even common sense is not common. It is you that do not respect Westerners and thank God I did not meet your type. The Easterners I met were dutiful and respectful and I admired them and respected them the same way. I still believe there are civilized Easterners that won't think like you.
I'm an epitome of civility but next time don't get ideas into your skull just because people were nice to you. Igbos are naturally very hospitable to strangers, it has nothing to do with being a westerner or northerner.

4 Likes

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by abouzaid: 3:49am On Apr 09, 2017
Suurulere:

He who the gods want to destroy, they first make mad. But it is not too late you can still make a difference. May you be normal again.
you're the raving lunatic here, i served in the north, stayed back another five years to work,owns landed property there, only relocated last year and still runs a business there yet i wouldn't write an article degrading the nice people there like your article degraded the easterners, and the very fact that you're not sensible enough to know that your article is offensive snows that you're a man on a mission of self destruction, learn how to reason and talk with respect and responsibility.

3 Likes

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by abouzaid: 3:51am On Apr 09, 2017
Cajetanspeaks:
I'm an epitome of civility but next time don't get ideas into your skull just because people were nice to you. Igbos are naturally very hospitable to strangers, if has nothing to do with being a westerner or northerner.
he thinks been a Yoruba boy from Lagos makes him special, he has no sense of civility.

5 Likes

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Nobody: 4:19am On Apr 09, 2017
Though I find your post meaningful and helpful, it was completely unnecessary to attach emotions to it. You were rather being supercilious, that your hosts treated you nicely doesn't make them inferior, be guided please.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Bakare19: 4:31am On Apr 09, 2017
Unnecessary bickering here. Op, you make sense jare..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Nobody: 5:36am On Apr 09, 2017
@OP, you have spoken your mind kudos bro.
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 7:20am On Apr 09, 2017
Destinyy22:
Though I find your post meaningful and helpful, it was completely unnecessary to attach emotions to it. You were rather being supercilious, that your hosts treated you nicely doesn't make them inferior, be guided please.

I don't need to be arrogant. I never said they were inferior. People read and absorb differently and what may sound offensive to you may be pleasant to the other. If I were to express myself to you physically, your reaction will be different. We are talking about millions of Easterners here. I only used my PPA as description. I have plenty of Easterners as friends. But some people just want to fight that they hide behind the social media to hide their cowardly behaviour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 7:20am On Apr 09, 2017
Bakare19:
Unnecessary bickering here. Op, you make sense jare..

Really unnecessary. Thanks man.
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 7:22am On Apr 09, 2017
youngprofdguru:
@OP, you have spoken your mind kudos bro.

Abi. Apologies to those I might have offended. I respect the Easterners a lot. Especially their ladies, respectful lots and beautiful.
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 7:28am On Apr 09, 2017
abouzaid:
you're the raving lunatic here, i served in the north, stayed back another five years to work,owns landed property there, only relocated last year and still runs a business there yet i wouldn't write an article degrading the nice people there like your article degraded the easterners, and the very fact that you're not sensible enough to know that your article is offensive snows that you're a man on a mission of self destruction, learn how to reason and talk with respect and responsibility.

You hide behind a Fulani name to defend a tribe I didn't degrade; you acted cowardly Sir. You forgot the message but attacked the messenger just because you heard "East". Yet, you benefited by staying back to work and prosper. If you had returned home immediately after your service, your story would have been different.
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 7:30am On Apr 09, 2017
abouzaid:
he thinks been a Yoruba boy from Lagos makes him special, he has no sense of civility.

Everyone is special in his or her own way. Yes, I'm proud to be Yoruba. But are you proud to be an Easterner?
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 7:35am On Apr 09, 2017
Cajetanspeaks:
I'm an epitome of civility but next time don't get ideas into your skull just because people were nice to you. Igbos are naturally very hospitable to strangers, if has nothing to do with being a westerner or northerner.

I never mentioned Igbo in my write-up. I wrote Easterners. In my O'level Geography, I don't think it is only the Igbos that live in the East. From your anecdotal phrase, it shows you are not hospitable. Thank God, I didn't meet you..

1 Like

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by abouzaid: 8:31am On Apr 09, 2017
Suurulere:

You hide behind a Fulani name to defend a tribe I didn't degrade; you acted cowardly Sir. You forgot the message but attacked the messenger just because you heard "East". Yet, you benefited by staying back to work and prosper. If you had returned home immediately after your service, your story would have been different.
clearly, you like arguing for arguing sake, my screen name is Arabic not Fulani and it have nothing to do with this thread, i attacked the messenger? please reread the rubbish you posted up there and tell me how you're not mentally challenged. you clearly lack the skills needed to survive in a multicultural society, reread my story about my stay in the north and notice the way i didn't make the northerners look backward or lacking in morals.

2 Likes

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by chubbyswit(m): 12:23pm On Apr 09, 2017
Suurulere:

op this your post reeks of tribalism, dont ask me how. Modify it asap

1 Like

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 09, 2017
Which East do these people even talk about all the time?

@OP, going through your post I was able to learn one or two things, but then I was also able to identify some of the usual delusions common among the self acclaimed "most sophisticated tribe" in Nigeria:

1. "Eastern ladies love we Western guys." = Fallacy of hasty generalization. Yoruba, in the East? How many of them even in Lagos where there are too many Igbos? Sorry. One more thing, the Easterners think "they" are dirty people (very bad of them to think that way, but, that is a usual assumption (or misconception?).

2. "they believe an average Westerner is enlightened, exposed and more educated." = Fallacy of proud and foolishness (don't ask me if we have such in the list of "Fallacies"wink.

This is ridiculous. The Easterner is educated enough and, of course, too competitive in nature to see " Ofe Mmanu" as more educated.

Most "village girl or person" sees someone from a city like Lagos, Abuja, etc as more exposed. It doesn't matter if you are Yoruba or their Igbo brother who lives in Lagos.

Also, if the "African development Information" is anything to go by, the SE and SW 85.3 and 85.65 educated youth population respectively. Other RECENT statistics has shown similar results.

Uhmm... Some other things? Generally, I know a couple of things about East for sure, and it has nothing to do with you being a Lagosian or Westerner:

1. They are hospitable
2. They are peaceful
3. They are hardworking
4. They are educated
5. They are competitive

And one irrelevant thing though: Housas are more popular in the East. Why? Because East is more of entrepreneurship and trade and is not the best for Job dependent people. There are no jobs for "Educated Westerners." That is why they are not in the East. And I think serious unavailability of jobs is a big problem that must be addressed in the east.

#Sorry if you found this response offensive. I found your post offensive and full of fallacies as well.

#Shalom

1 Like

Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 2:09pm On Apr 09, 2017
ZestAri:
Which East do these people even talk about all the time?

@OP, going through your post I was able to learn one or two things, but then I was also able to identify some of the usual delusions common among the self acclaimed "most sophisticated tribe" in Nigeria:

1. "Eastern ladies love we Western guys." = Fallacy of hasty generalization. Yoruba, in the East? How many of them even in Lagos where there are too many Igbos? Sorry. One more thing, the Easterners think "they" are dirty people (very bad of them to think that way, but, that is a usual assumption (or misconception?).

2. "they believe an average Westerner is enlightened, exposed and more educated." = Fallacy of proud and foolishness (don't ask me if we have such in the list of "Fallacies"wink.

This is ridiculous. The Easterner is educated enough and, of course, too competitive in nature to see " Ofe Mmanu" as more educated.

Most "village girl or person" sees someone from a city like Lagos, Abuja, etc as more exposed. It doesn't matter if you are Yoruba or their Igbo brother who lives in Lagos.

Also, if the "African development Information" is anything to go by, the SE and SW 85.3 and 85.65 educated youth population respectively. Other RECENT statistics has shown similar results.

Uhmm... Some other things? Generally, I know a couple of things about East for sure, and it has nothing to do with you being a Lagosian or Westerner:

1. They are hospitable
2. They are peaceful
3. They are hardworking
4. They are educated
5. They are competitive

And one irrelevant thing though: Housas are more popular in the East. Why? Because East is more of entrepreneurship and trade and is not the best for Job dependent people. There are no jobs for "Educated Westerners." That is why they are not in the East. And I think serious unavailability of jobs is a big problem that must be addressed in the east.

#Sorry if you found this response offensive. I found your post offensive and full of fallacies as well.

#Shalom

Another student who did not study Geography nor History.
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2017
chubbyswit:
op this your post reeks of tribalism, dont ask me how. Modify it asap

To the tribalist, all things are tribalism.
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Suurulere(m): 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2017
abouzaid:
clearly, you like arguing for arguing sake, my screen name is Arabic not Fulani and it have nothing to do with this thread, i attacked the messenger? please reread the rubbish you posted up there and tell me how you're not mentally challenged. you clearly lack the skills needed to survive in a multicultural society, reread my story about my stay in the north and notice the way i didn't make the northerners look backward or lacking in morals.

Okay. Let me not come down to your level to roll in the mud with you. I understand your pseudo-patriotism.
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by Nobody: 2:31pm On Apr 09, 2017
Suurulere:

Another student who did not study Geography nor History.

The "educated" appeals to common sense and logic first before making sure that every "i" is dotted and every "t" crossed. Going to school doesn't always mean being educated. Sorry. I am out of this conversation. #winks
Re: Advice To Corps Members: "Do Not Go Home After Your Service Year." by chubbyswit(m): 2:45pm On Apr 09, 2017
Suurulere:

To the tribalist, all things are tribalism.
its a well established fact that yorubas are the most tribalist group, and you just showed it in that your post even without being aware i presume. Its just inborn. But it will be nice if you modify your post thank you and God bless.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NYSC 2017 Batch B Stream II Most Active Whatsapp Group Here For You / Redeployed To Imo State.....need Help From Corp Members Serving In The State. / Going For HND And Do NYSC Or Going For Bsc Without NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.