Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,012 members, 7,828,558 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Engine Oil For Power Steering??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Oil For Power Steering??? (3198 Views)

Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering / My Kazeem Said They Have Replaced Power Steering Oil With Engine Oil / Power Steering Issues: Tips On How To Fix It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by Provie(m): 10:06am On Apr 08, 2017
Can the gurus in the house help me plz.

My car is having this low cracking noise in the region of the cluster of pulleys. A mechanic said it's the power steering pump. My friend confirmed this but said since the power steering is working perfectly, I don't need to change it, that all I need to do is to drain the power steering fluid and refill with a particular brand of engine oil (whiz).

His reason: something of a gap in d steering pump which makes the power steering oil too light for it; that the engine oil being thicker/gummier will take care of it. He said he did exactly the same thing in his car (w201, same as mine) and the noise disappeared, and d car has been working perfectly.

I need advise please. Thanks in advance.
Re: Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by nurey(m): 1:47pm On Apr 08, 2017
Please don't do it

2 Likes

Re: Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by erico2k2(m): 1:58pm On Apr 08, 2017
Provie:

My car is having this low cracking noise in the region of the cluster of pulleys. A mechanic said it's the power steering pump. My friend confirmed this but said since the power steering is working perfectly, I don't need to change it, that all I need to do is to drain the power steering fluid and refill with a particular brand of engine oil (whiz).

His reason: something of a gap in d steering pump which makes the power steering oil too light for it; that the engine oil being thicker/gummier will take care of it. He said he did exactly the same thing in his car (w201, same as mine) and the noise disappeared, and d car has been working perfectly.

Those advising you to do that are criminals in motoring terms,
Re: Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by Provie(m): 2:25pm On Apr 08, 2017
erico2k2:
Those advising you to do that are criminals in motoring terms,
I get u bro. I've bn very skeptical about dat advice.
Re: Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by Provie(m): 2:56pm On Apr 08, 2017
nurey:
Please don't do it
Tanx bro
Re: Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by adanny01(m): 10:28pm On Apr 08, 2017
If its a whining sound, then it is caused by either short in ps oil or air in the system. Usually, air gets in through the sunction side which is usually starting from the reservior to pump. A broken pipe or dried oil seal are usual causes.

If it is air, you will notice the reservior foaming or bubbling

The pump also has a bearing and it could fail.

To check for this, remove the belt and spin the pump pulley manually observing the noise.
Re: Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by Provie(m): 11:02am On Apr 09, 2017
adanny01:
If its a whining sound, then it is caused by either short in ps oil or air in the system. Usually, air gets in through the sunction side which is usually starting from the reservior to pump. A broken pipe or dried oil seal are usual causes.

If it is air, you will notice the reservior foaming or bubbling

The pump also has a bearing and it could fail.

To check for this, remove the belt and spin the pump pulley manually observing the noise.

Thanks brother. It's a grinding noise, not whining. The belt was removed & the pulley checked: it seems perfect. I'm tempted to think the noise is from the AC compressor (below the steering pump); but the noise is d same whether or not the AC is on.
Re: Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by adanny01(m): 11:24am On Apr 09, 2017
Provie:

Thanks brother. It's a grinding noise, not whining. The belt was removed & the pulley checked: it seems perfect. I'm tempted to think the noise is from the AC compressor (below the steering pump); but the noise is d same whether or not the AC is on.

It does happen that the compressor could go bad. However, it is unlikely because the compressor is usually inactive without AC on. The clutch may not be engaged so only the pulley of the AC compressor is spinning. Unless the is a clutch problem.

Any of the belt driven parts that is making the sound can be checked by hand after belt is removed.
Re: Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by Provie(m): 12:36pm On Apr 09, 2017
adanny01:

It does happen that the compressor could go bad. However, it is unlikely because the compressor is usually inactive without AC on. The clutch may not be engaged so only the pulley of the AC compressor is spinning. Unless the is a clutch problem.

Any of the belt driven parts that is making the sound can be checked by hand after belt is removed.

All the pulleys spin normal & noiselessly wen the belt is removed. I'm just being very careful with these our mechanics, with what I experienced with d other car. A heavy & embarrassing grinding noise from the same region, worse than the present case. The mechanic said the power steering pump is dead & needs to be changed. That was after changing about four different engine shocks at my expense. The second said d same thing. It was d third that examined the pump pulley and saw dat one of the 13mm nuts is missing; he replaced it, and everything became perfect and smooth again till date.

I'll make a thorough check before replacing any component. Thanks a lot.
Re: Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by snipesdam(m): 3:33pm On Apr 10, 2017
Provie:

Kazeem Friend. OP don't try it ooo!!! You can only use engine oil in a case where you have a bad power-steering which is leaking badly. Instead wasting money on ATF you then use used engine oil pending when you change the unit completely.
Re: Engine Oil For Power Steering??? by Provie(m): 8:59pm On Apr 10, 2017
snipesdam:

Kazeem Friend. OP don't try it ooo!!! You can only use engine oil in a case where you have a bad power-steering which is leaking badly. Instead wasting money on ATF you then use used engine oil pending when you change the unit completely.

Ok bros. No leaks, the level in the reservoir has been constant. The steering has also been working smooth and perfect. Tanx a lot.

(1) (Reply)

Suv Fit For A Waterlogged Area.... / Which Is better/preferable:toyota Or Nissan Brand? / Honda Accord 2005 Reving High Rpm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.