Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,731 members, 7,955,778 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:49 PM

Have You Seen Avatar?! - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Have You Seen Avatar?! (6031 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / Avatar; The Legend Of Korra.... / Avatar And Ben-10 Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Obinoscopy(m): 6:27am On Jan 13, 2010
Spader9:

Zoe Saldana!

Yeah she's the one to win the Best Female Actress for 2009. As for Sam Worthington, I'm yet to decide. Maybe after watching Clash of the Titans, I'll decide
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Spader9(m): 6:31am On Jan 13, 2010
Obinoscopy:

Yeah she's the one to win the Best Female Actress for 2009. As for Sam Worthington, I'm yet to decide. Maybe after watching Clash of the Titans, I'll decide

Decision 2010!
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by ijawgirl: 6:37am On Jan 13, 2010
perfect night. Avatar is an amazing movie i totally recommend it!
mehn its worth the hype!
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by iice(f): 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2010
Spader9:

Zoe Saldana!

Isn't she like totally awesome! Come along way from Center Stage. 2 awesome movies in one year: Star Trek and Avatar!

Obinoscopy:

Ok, i'm into Worthington now, since seeing him in Terminator. He's not the greatest actor, but he has some charisma thing going on for him. I sincerely hope he doesn't butcher Perseus. Clash of the Titans is like one of my favorite childhood movies. . .and erhh back then Zeus and Calibos were my favorite characters grin
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Spader9(m): 4:57pm On Jan 13, 2010
iice:

Isn't she like totally awesome! Come along way from Center Stage. 2 awesome movies in one year: Star Trek and Avatar!

It was a good year for her.
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by obinna5000(m): 8:29pm On Jan 13, 2010
Zoe Saldana also played Anamaria in "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl".
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Spader9(m): 8:30pm On Jan 13, 2010
obinna5000:

Zoe Saldana also played Anamaria in "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl".

That makes sense. She is Latino. . .
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Decryptor(m): 9:50pm On Jan 13, 2010
U're so right undecided
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Spader9(m): 9:51pm On Jan 13, 2010
Decryptor:

Zoe Saldana is not Latino.She's African-American, although mixed.

Saldana? It's a Latin last name. Google her ethnicity, you'll see. . .
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by ssumpta(f): 12:38am On Jan 14, 2010
Gosh . Am i the only one who's not crazy over that movie? I think Its just riding on hype.
Granted, the visual effects were stunning but thats about it.
I think the storyline was cheesy and recycled, and the dialogue?
love scene btw neytiri and jake? ewwww
Jake choosing to be one of them in the end? classy
'i see you',   duh.
But they do deserve the Oscars for sound and picture quality.
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by rubber321: 5:51am On Jan 14, 2010
Not once i have seen this movie 5 times and will watch again in future. I am completely obsessed with the movie.
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by oaroloye(m): 11:58am On Jan 14, 2010
I say that any Nigerian praising AVATAR, NOW, after Nigeria has been shortlisted as one of 14 Countries-That-Support-Terrorism, IS A FOOL.

I have seen 18mins of AVATAR.
I wanted to be sure I heard right, so I rewound, three times.
Then Please Hold Candle Nigeria a.k.a. Power Fumbling Company of Nigeria took away electricity.
(The second shot I'd had in a week.)

To the point: The Colonel, describing his experience to the Corporal who is obviously the star, said:

"(I served) THREE TOURS OF DUTY IN NIGERIA!"

This statement implies LONG FOREKNOWLEDGE that America WILL go to war against Nigeria!
The writer (James Cameron- one of the highest profiles available. He did TERMINATOR, and The Fantastic Four live action TV series.) was obviously instructed to put in that line to subliminally prepare America and the western World for a coming war with Nigeria- long before the Christmas bombing.

A pattern is emerging. First DISTRICT 9, now this.

Expect more anti-Nigeria propaganda to come.
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by iice(f): 12:31pm On Jan 14, 2010
Spader9:

Saldana? It's a Latin last name. Google her ethnicity, you'll see. . .

She's Dominican. Not exactly Latino.
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by obinna5000(m): 3:15pm On Jan 14, 2010
oaroloye:

I say that any Nigerian praising AVATAR, NOW, after Nigeria has been shortlisted as one of 14 Countries-That-Support-Terrorism, IS A FOOL.

Then Please Hold Candle Nigeria a.k.a. Power Fumbling Company of Nigeria took away electricity.

To the point: The Colonel, describing his experience to the Corporal who is obviously the star, said:

This statement implies LONG FOREKNOWLEDGE that America WILL go to war against Nigeria!
The writer (James Cameron- one of the highest profiles available. He did TERMINATOR, and The Fantastic Four live action TV series.) was obviously instructed to put in that line to subliminally prepare America and the western World for a coming war with Nigeria- long before the Christmas bombing.

@oaroloye
That statement in the Avatar movie wasn't meant to be anti-Nigerian. But the way Nigerians were depicted in "District 9" was just purely disrespectful and insulting.
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jan 14, 2010
oaroloye:

na wa oh. They still cant get their greedy eyes off Nigeria? I didnt notice Nigeria was mentioned in the movie.

Check this from someone's blog:

The top 10 list of movies and media that have wrongly referenced Nigeria in the 2000s

Avatar (2009) – In James Cameron’s recent blockbuster, Nigeria is the only non-fictional geographical location to be mentioned in the almost 3 hour movie and is passively referred to as hostile environment.

District 9 (2009) – This movie represents the boldest of negative references to Nigeria in entertainment so far. So much you can almost tell that its personal with the makers of the film. (You’ll get yours Neil).

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) – Nigeria portrayed as hostile and rebellious environment.

Tears of the Sun (2003) – This was the first major reference to Nigeria and the entirety of the film is set in Eastern Nigeria. It is also rumored that none of this movie was actually shot in Nigeria. Sony’s (Sony Pictures) first shot. It is almost flattering how we are portrayed as hard-to-kill bastards with infinite firepower. Yeah right, we’ll buy a truck load of ammunition right after we save money for a quick sandwich.

Lost (Seasons 2 & 3) – Mild reference to Nigeria as hostile environment.

The Sopranos (Season 5) – Passive reference to Nigerians as a corrupt people.

Sony PlayStation 3 Commercial (2009) – Bold and blatant reference to Nigerians as corrupt people with heavy generalization. (Strike 2 for Sony)

Identity Guard Commercial (2009) – Subtle insinuation that Nigeria might as well be the capital of corruption.

Sahara (2005) – Careless depiction of Nigeria as a country where a fraction of the film takes place. These scenes were not shot in Nigeria.

The Bourne Identity (2002) – This movie uses a distinct Nigerian language called Yoruba as the choice language for the character of the African terrorist mastermind.

http://www.shadowandact.com/?p=14891
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 14, 2010
^^ I dont know if the blogger is a Nler however.

Anyway, one has to wonder what exactly they're looking for in Nigeria since they keep badmouthing it and giving the place a negative image yet its so obvious there's something there which they want by all means.

also, Sahara was averagely ok- it just wasnt a blockbuster. The Nigeria scenes were comedic at best.
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by obinna5000(m): 3:29pm On Jan 14, 2010
I still like "Avatar" sha.
What if Nigeria becomes "HOSTILE" in the near future?? shocked shocked grin (Nahh!! I don't think so)
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by minute(f): 4:05pm On Jan 14, 2010
I saw it a couple days ago,it was unreal! Graphics were the best

Ive ever seen and the 3D was sweet.Story was kind of used but if you

think about it its kind of the defining generic film story of the last 10 years:

Coporate/Military complex destroying nature against the wisened ancient teachings

of a quasi-pagan tribal spiritualism;love story with the traditional slightly cocky but

affable every-man man meets slightly uptight-dont-know-what-to-make-of-you girl of

higher social station,each fall in love through cultural exchange and ritual,girl finds out

about some major dishonesty on the guys part which was previous to his enlightenment,

they make up by some worthy contrition by the guy,the future beckons.Good but used. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Spader9(m): 6:45pm On Jan 15, 2010
iice:

Latin America . . .

LATINO!
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Obinoscopy(m): 7:25pm On Jan 15, 2010
iice:

Spader9:

Latin America . . .

LATINO!

Whats all the arguement about Zoe. Zoe is an american born of Dominican Parents. The Dominican Republic is Hispanic and not Latin
Thus you are wrong Spader9. iice is right on this one
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Spader9(m): 2:34am On Jan 16, 2010
Obinoscopy:

Whats all the arguement about Zoe. Zoe is an american born of Dominican Parents. The Dominican Republic is Hispanic and not Latin
Thus you are wrong Spader9. iice is right on this one

To be described as a Latino is not considered derogatory, although it can be construed as a generic for all Hispanic cultures, much like referring to a Korean or Japanese-American as "Asian." While "Latino" may be politically and socially correct, it may more culturally sensitive to learn a person's specific heritage and refer to him or her as "Nicaraguan" or "Guatemalan" rather than the broader "Latino."

Both are erroneous terms applied to residents who reside south of the U.S.

It's akin to calling a U.S. citizen a North American. . .
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by COCCI(m): 8:28am On Jan 16, 2010
Well well well, I watched the AVATAR and I was blown into a million fragment, When I went a step further to watch the making of the film, I was dumb struck when Cameron (the director and producer of the film) actually wrote the film since 1995 but actually waited for technology to catch up with his ideas and imagination of the film in order to produce what he wanted.

That was one aspect, the whole emotions in the film expressed by the avatars made me speechless, All I can say is that the film is more than just a film or an animation in so many ways, I can watch the film everyday and get a brand new inspiration every time I do,

For those who havent watched the making, please do, its of the shizzle, wink wink wink
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by iice(f): 3:07pm On Jan 16, 2010
Spader9:

Latin America . . .

LATINO!

I was being P.C wink
I vaguely remember something about the 'latino' term. . .something to do with Salma Hayek and Penelope. . . undecided
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by omar22(m): 10:17am On Jan 18, 2010
the entirety of the film is set in Eastern Nigeria

The film was set in China
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by obinna5000(m): 10:30am On Jan 18, 2010
James Cameron's Avatar won Best Picture (Drama) and Best Director (James Cameron) at 67th Golden Globe Awards. kiss
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by BIGERBOY1: 1:18pm On Jan 18, 2010
True talk; the movie was awsome and cool. but the I still think the publicity was more than the movie itself.

Yes I dont mind watching again (note the sentence), but thinkin about all that publicity pulled i tot i will be saying 'i must watch the movie again' (but nah!)

who really believes this was the greatest movie of the last decade (as some said), am talking to pple who really watch movies, not just pictures and sound effects.

About the mention of nigeria and venuzuella, I was really suprised too.

All in all, i think i can name 10 movies better than avatar, I even like Transformers better.
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by obinna5000(m): 3:34pm On Jan 18, 2010
Transformers 1 & 2 were good but they had too much noisy action and awkward plots. But I still like them a little.
Avatar is also a very good movie but I won't say its my best film of all-time.
I liked Avatar more than Transformers 2 even though the two films had shaky storylines. undecided
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Mavenb0x(m): 6:45pm On Jan 18, 2010
Chai! JeSoul my sister grin grin grin!!
kai oyinbo grin these people have serious mental problems.

But really, that Avatar movie was the shiznit! I LOVED it!!! kiss kiss kiss

You see, rarely will you ever find such a clean and lovely combo of fantasy and science-fiction. AVATAR is that combo! wink
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by JeSoul(f): 3:26pm On Jan 19, 2010
Mavenb0x:

Chai! JeSoul my sister grin grin grin!!
Ehen now cheesy how can normal people watch a movie - a piece of fiction - and then start talking about committing suicide? reeks of serious mental issues, very serious grin
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by Spader9(m): 4:02am On Jan 20, 2010
iice:

I was being P.C wink
I vaguely remember something about the 'latino' term. . .something to do with Salma Hayek and Penelope. . . undecided

O alright. . . smiley
Re: Have You Seen Avatar?! by katty05: 6:46am On Feb 02, 2010
Ya, i watched this movie, this is a very good movie, I liked it, Mind Blowing movie,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do You Think Big Brother Africa Should Be Banned? / Who Watches THE JOHNSONS On African Magic / The Complete Guide To Making A Nollywood Movie (hilarious)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.