Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,002 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? (8569 Views)

My Marriage Is Crashing, I Think I Hate Him...Help / My 2 Months Old Marriage Is Crashing - HELP ME / I Think Marriage In Africa Is Against Women. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by tallgal(f): 12:52pm On Jan 01, 2010
The problem is people don't know how to separate romance form marriage. Marriag eis what happens whenyou see the real person. I personally think if you can live with all the bad habits you see after the romance has faded, then marriage is for you. If you are realistically expecting the romance to last forever, then no, marriage is not for you.

Marriage takes DEDICATION and PATIENCE. The more of both you develop, the more successful it will be. I've been married for 15 years and I am still learning.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Livinwater(m): 4:02pm On Jan 01, 2010
I suggest that people marry their good friends not their dates; for during dating people tend to market themselves.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by godseyi: 5:20pm On Jan 01, 2010
Marriage is Overrated, but it is a necessary evil
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by nezerst(f): 1:18am On Jan 02, 2010
Soooo Overrated
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by san26dy(f): 9:47am On Jan 02, 2010
Marriage is not overated. It is a union that God has put in place and should be treated with love. There is nothing like being married to the right person. I love my husband and he is also my best friend. If you marry the right person the chemistry will be there even after the kids come. I won't trade it for anything.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Theblessed(f): 3:06pm On Jan 02, 2010
Kilonso:

Saying that marriage is overrated is just like saying that life is overrated as well. So since there is an Umar Farooq Abdullah, just as there are a numberless of individuals who live their lives with utmost reckless abandon, would not give the room for an utterance such as saying that life is overrated. And I needn't remind anyone here that the life most of us got is as a result of the (so-called overrated) marriages which took places at some points in some time. So an institution such as marriage can never be overrated. Other institutions such as your churches, your schools, your banks and you as individuals could be overrated but not marriage. A number of marriages might have failed, but out of a good number of those failed marriages, inspiring individuals who did a number on us have emerged.
Once other institutions fail. nothing good, and I mean nothing good come out of them from that moment, because they were overrated. 

Boy, people are confused with your writing.  You mean and write differently i.e. you have well meaning ideas but get drifted into other things that happens to flashed into your mind as you write instead of being focused hence the CONFUSION as people can't understand what you mean. You see, English language is not our first tongue therefore, it's always good to keep it STRAIGHT and SIMPLE. Hope you understand!
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Theblessed(f): 3:07pm On Jan 02, 2010
So, take it! It's a constructive criticism.

Cheers!
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Theblessed(f): 4:14pm On Jan 02, 2010
becomrich;:

Here is it. I am not a church goer, I not a church worker , I am born again. because church goer and church worker does not mean you are born again. Been born again is been transform in your mind.  The real issue is greed and foolishness. 
And when one partner is proud and arrogant. It kills a marriage.
You cant only have a good marriage if you have two humble and honest people. If the other people is a liar and a cheat, you cant have a good marriage.
If a person is arrogant and proud. How can they have good marriage.

If your marriage depend on your pastor or church or parent. You would never have a good marriage. Look I have an aunty whose whole life was destroyed by a pastor. I am telling you the truth. if i am telling a lie her cousin use to be with the NTA, you know her. The pastor was a 419 pastor. He was a pastor because he was collecting thier money and telling them lies.  That why you find me, critic pastor alot. Till this moment I am talking this aunty of mine, never had a baby. She should be about 60 years now. Her married got destroyed because she assume that all pastors are men of God. That not truth. If a pastors is looking for the down fall of your marriage. How can that man be a pastors.

You see let me put it this way have you seen Pastor Adeboye wife going to Bishop Oyedepo church every sunday?  No. If Pastor Adeboye start going to Bishop Oyedepo church , Do you think Bishop Oyedepo would question it. If he is a man of God? But if he does not question it. He is a false pastor. It means , he is more interested in the tithe and offering you offer him than your life.

What Am I saying is that God has a principle. I dont care if you are in North america. There is a principle God as laid in the bible if one person in a relationship does not follow it. The marriage is over.

Take your external family out of your marriage. If your sister, mother , father , pastor and brother are now the people, who determine your life  is finished. Look your brother only care for his children, so is your sister. When they say kill one person. They would shoot your child and let thier only child live. This is wisdom. It is like a story of a witch, they say bring your husband let us eat today, why dont you ask them, why they have not brought thier own husband, so that you can eat him first.??

Look, if you give pastor adeboye a gun and in a boat one person need to live. Your child or pastor adeboye child. 1 second history is made. Why, the yorubas says ti eni te ni, te to te to.  Well I dont  know how to explain this in english. But its means what is your is your and what is others is others.

If you give an igboman the chance to kill an igboman or kill a yorubaman to save one. The igbo man would shoot down the yoruba man several times. Why? They igbos would call it "Nkem". That how life and marriage is. If you take your partner like your, it would work. If your put other thing above your partner like mother, sister, brother, pastor , church and others. Your marriage would never work.

I say it again. The igbos call it   " Nkem"

[b]Boy! You've come again!  Well, done! Completely agreed with you.

Yes, if couples are not watchful greed, ambition, competition and boastfulness can kill off their marriage so can 3rd parties (family, pastor, work colleagues etc) if you let them.  Therefore, it's important one understand what they need in a marriage and seek out a partner that SHARES the same principle before embarking into it. In fact, ones prospective wife/husband's background can throw light into this thus, alert one if watchful.

Some marriages fail because couples do not share beliefs and values.  For example a husband could be humble, hard working and contented with his achievements and what he's got for his family but married a greedy, over ambition, highly competitive and, jealous woman whom he can not satisfy not matter how hard he tries.  That's where the trouble begins! And not too long, she'd be out seeking greener pastures hence, the end. 

So, my advice is, seek your kind and stick with it and not a fantasiser.
[/b]
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Outstrip(f): 9:19pm On Jan 02, 2010
I am married but I feel it is overrated. My uncle and aunty are separated now after 22 years together. She is American and an angel to have put up with him so long. My uncle is not a bad man. He is a good provider but not easy to live with. He wants her back but I am not sure how that is going to work for them.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by africhika(f): 9:25pm On Jan 02, 2010

quote by tallgal:« #128 on: Yesterday at 05:52:00 AM » 

The problem is people don't know how to separate romance form marriage. Marriag eis what happens whenyou see the real person. I personally think if you can live with all the bad habits you see after the romance has faded, then marriage is for you. If you are realistically expecting the romance to last forever, then no, marriage is not for you. 

Marriage takes DEDICATION and PATIENCE. The more of both you develop, the more successful it will be. I've been married for 15 years and I am still learning.

awww,  how beautiful n sweet smiley kudos.

quote by godseyi:
« #130 on: Yesterday at 10:20:29 AM » 

Marriage is Overrated, but it is a necessary evil

u must be in a bad marriage
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by H2O2: 9:31pm On Jan 02, 2010
If you think it's overrated, don't get married
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by ayobase(m): 12:17pm On Jan 04, 2010
it was't overrated until probs in marriages!
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by tallgal(f): 12:24pm On Jan 04, 2010
lol @ ayobase
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by tallgal(f): 12:26pm On Jan 04, 2010
The best advice my mum gave me is this:
You married someone that was 70, 80 or 90% perfect., The 30,20 and 10% are their faults. Don't turn the 20,30 or 10 into 70,80 and 90. You are not perfect yourself.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by ayobase(m): 12:29pm On Jan 04, 2010
@THEBLESSED!
I think I like ur SPIRIT
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by otukpo(f): 10:08am On Jan 05, 2010
i have enjoyed reading this thread.

i think some pple go into marriage for the wrong reasons.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by darosha: 12:53pm On Jan 08, 2010
d word marriage is vry complex,but 2 my own opinion i bliv d major cause of broken marriages is as a result of lack of respect on d part of d ladies.most of our mothers got married at a tender age and are still happily married. if ladies cld swalow dier pride i bliv marriages wl strt workin of fine.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Outstrip(f): 5:49pm On Jan 08, 2010
darosha:

d word marriage is vry complex,but 2 my own opinion i bliv d major cause of broken marriages is as a result of lack of respect on d part of d ladies.most of our mothers got married at a tender age and are still happily married. if ladies cld swalow dier pride i bliv marriages wl strt workin of fine.

How old are you?
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Sissy3(f): 12:20am On Jan 09, 2010
darosha:

here we go again
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by OAM4J: 2:28am On Jan 09, 2010
darosha:

Sorry the problem is not just with the ladies. a lot of guys are also not ready to give the commitments, responsibilities and faithfulness required for marriage to work. Men cheat more than women and they also get more violent than women.

For me if you are not ready to give all it takes to have a good marriage don't marry.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Fhemmmy: 2:29am On Jan 09, 2010
darosha:

I think that is ranting nonsense.
You sound more like a boy that wanna use her voice to sound like a man.
Most marriages in those days worked well, cos the men take care of all things and even have house helps, but today, the ladies are going to work and back and yet the man want her to cook and take care of the kids, and when the woman now question such dumb authority, the man says the woman is rude, what a rubbish.
I think it is time for men to put themselves in the shoes of the woman and see how it wil feel.
Nonsense.
tallgal:

The best advice my mum gave me is this:
You married someone that was 70, 80 or 90% perfect., The 30,20 and 10% are their faults. Don't turn the 20,30 or 10 into 70,80 and 90. You are not perfect yourself.

You have a great mother. . . .great advice.
otukpo:

i have enjoyed reading this thread.

i think some pple go into marriage for the wrong reasons.

Wells said.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by distincty: 9:44pm On Jan 11, 2010
it takes two tangle is what our elders says, i will say marriage is overrated and i will no say it not, in marriage i and my finace are 8yrs in our relationship, we fight and settle it, do u ever think if we get married we will separate, yes and no, but in all depends on us, it depends on how couples take there relationship, if couples can be togerther for 8yrs, then i think they shuld be able to b 2gether till death do them part, my advice is that RELATIONSHIP CAN NOT BE SMOOTH AS U THINK B4 TIGHTING D KNOTH, COUPLES B WISE.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Rehana2: 12:59am On Jan 13, 2010
Need to define what you want/need from marriage, these days. Used to be an institution with women being very subserviant, nowdays its more of a relationship thing with the two partners being more equal. (Although for most I think the women still gets the short straw, housework, cooking and clearning unless she is lucky enough to afford help, or train the kids well enough to do their share of chores!).

Marriage is wonderful when things are going well, safe secure, loving partner etc. But shock when you have to take rough with the smooth - if things get bad like infidelity, then may go through hell, all depends on point of view, character and how yoiu handle your own marriage I guess.
Better to be a single parent though than live in an abusive unhappy marriage, sure lonely but at least you can invest your time to do your best for the child/ren than being distracted, and when the children raiseed time again to find a companion someone to love you, there will always be someone out there who is kind, maybe widowed.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by ruskiee(m): 4:53pm On Jan 14, 2010
It's no longer given the respect it once had.
True.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by peachyfunk: 12:02pm On Jan 18, 2010
, in my own opinion i think marriage has been overrated cos people on this side of the world  don't marry becos dey actually want to but cos d society pushes dem to cos dey keep counting ur age(u r ova 25 and not marred),how many potential husbands u've missed , dey make it sound like its d peak of ur achievement blah,blah,blah and so people eventually get married and start having problems, basically we need to know dat wedding and marriage are different.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Fhemmmy: 6:36pm On Jan 18, 2010
peachyfunk:

, in my own opinion i think marriage has been overrated cos people on this side of the world  don't marry becos dey actually want to but cos d society pushes dem to cos dey keep counting your age(u r ova 25 and not marred),how many potential husbands u've missed , dey make it sound like its d peak of your achievement blah,blah,blah and so people eventually get married and start having problems, basically we need to know dat wedding and marriage are different.
Beautifully said
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by harakiri(m): 7:29pm On Dec 21, 2010
It's not only over rated . . .it has also outlived it's usefulness.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Blazay(m): 8:54pm On Dec 21, 2010
Not overrated but over-abused.
Many people have no business getting into such an institution.
Too many generational psychos abuse that fine institution meant for only the mentally well-adjusted. cool

Divorcees should not be allowed to re-marry.
Widows and widowers too.
If it is God's will for a person to be single, he or she should respect the marriage institution and stop polluting it with further tracks of failures. cool
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by chika98: 6:47am On Dec 22, 2010
Marriage is over rated. Being someones wife is rather easy. Mrs attached to your name.

Having someone you connect deeply with. One who truly understands you. Knows how to love, tolerate, compromise and honor you. That one being who really gets what it means to be married to you and revels in that is truly underrated and often people go through life never finding that.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by oyinda3(f): 6:52am On Dec 22, 2010
^ true. there are many loveless marriages. by love, i'm talking about conjugal love
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 22, 2010
'/'/
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by InkedNerd(f): 8:11am On Dec 22, 2010
@OP: Yes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Do You Forgive And 'forget'? **A True Life Story** / Guys, If U Discovered One Of Ur Kids Is Illegitimate, Wud U Forgive Ur Wife? / 30 Year Old Lady And Her 28 Year Old Younger Brother Sharing A bed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.