Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,836 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice (4843 Views)

Caption This Straight Face Of The New Chief Of Defence Intelligence. Photos / Meet The New Chief-Of-Staff, Hamid Ibrahim-Alli / DSS Appoints Mani As New Chief Security Officer For President-elect, Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 31, 2009
Everything concerning this country is lllegal, even the country himself is illegal.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by MrSam3: 3:33pm On Dec 31, 2009
After so many years of independence, our leaders still cannot learn. What a SHAME!
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 31, 2009
How more illegal can we get?
What do u except from a country thats see nothing wrong in actions of the powerful rich, nigerian rulling system is now like a family thningy, I bet the new chief justice is one of the "born to rule folks"
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Pharoh: 6:01pm On Dec 31, 2009
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Pifa: 6:13pm On Dec 31, 2009
@TEE_ZERO@Nezan and @ Mcrackles

From my earlier post:
The issue is a bit clearer to me after doing more research. The problem, it seems, is the timing of the swearing-in ceremony (and to a lesser extent, who was designated by the constitution to administer the oath of office to the new CJ). The retiring CJ officially leaves office at midnight on Dec 31, 2009. By swearing-in the incoming CJ today (or was it yesterday in another time zone) the retiring CJ effectively created a short but troubling transition during which the country would have two sitting CJs. That would be unconstitutional.

The question that arises then is this: When does the tenure of the new CJ start and when does the old one expire? It’s a legal technicality, but an interesting one. I always get a kick listening to constitutional lawyers in the US argue about the US Constitution. I don’t think the lawyers should be shut down; I think they should be encouraged to harsh this out in the court of law. This is part of the maturity process for the Nigerian legal code.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by MrCrackles(m): 6:18pm On Dec 31, 2009
Pifa:

@TEE_ZERO@Nezan and @ Mcrackles

From my earlier post:
The issue is a bit clearer to me after doing more research. The problem, it seems, is the timing of the swearing-in ceremony (and to a lesser extent, who was designated by the constitution to administer the oath of office to the new CJ). The retiring CJ officially leaves office at midnight on Dec 31, 2009. By swearing-in the incoming CJ today (or was it yesterday in another time zone) the retiring CJ effectively created a short but troubling transition during which the country would have two sitting CJs. That would be unconstitutional.
The question that arises then is this: When does the tenure of the new CJ start and when does the old one expire. It’s a legal technicality
, but an interesting one. I always get a kick listening to constitutional lawyers in the US argue about the US Constitution. I don’t think the lawyers should be shut down; I think they should be encouraged to harsh this out in the court of law. This is part of the maturity process for the Nigerian legal code.

On the boldened part, i agree with you. . . .
Until we know the details of the previous tenure and the commencement of the new tenure, we cant conclude. . . wink
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Pifa: 6:22pm On Dec 31, 2009
@ Pharoh

Thanks for the link. I had always suspected that Falana and others wanted force the issue vis-à-vis YarAdua’s absence or competency to serve.

This is exciting, folks! You should view this as a good development. At least they are using the courts and not machetes.

I love legal wrangling among lawyers.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Remii(m): 9:05pm On Dec 31, 2009
OMG!!!! Nigeria is now showing the world the real meaning of separation of powers. Jonathan - Heading Executives, Mark heading Legislators and Kutugi heading Judiciary. The world should learn from us  In fact 5 professorial seats in Harvard should be created to study how Nigeria was ruled in December, 2009. rflmao. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by No2Atheism(m): 9:06pm On Dec 31, 2009
Remii:

OMG!!!! Nigeria is now showing the world the real meaning of separation of powers. Jonathan - Heading Executives, Mark heading Legislators and Kutugi heading Judiciary. The world should learn from us  In fact 5 professorial seats in Harvard should be created to study how Nigeria was ruled in December, 2009. rflmao. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nigeria is an enigma . . . grin
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by Pifa: 5:23pm On Jan 01, 2010
The whole issue is irrelevant at this point. The old CJ is gone; the new CJ’s tenure has started. The short legal wrestling was fun while it lasted, though.

It’s now up to the Nigerian lawmakers to pass legislation to avoid this type of confusion in the future. They need to define when the tenure of one official ends and when his or her successor’s tenure starts. This is a very simple legislation that should take no more than a day to pass.

The lawyers should move on to more important issues.
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by ddiamond(f): 6:47pm On Jan 03, 2010
embarassed
God help our father land. NIGERIA lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by violent(m): 7:15pm On Jan 03, 2010
. . . . President has gone AWOL
. . . . Vice President is a dummy
. . . . Chief Judge is illegal
. . . . . Terrorism is rearing head

A joke called a country!
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by blackasia: 11:16am On Jan 04, 2010
what is not illegal in this country?
when the white men came ,illegal
when usman dan fodio invade the north, illegal
when the 3 protectorate was bond together , knowing fully well they cant co -exist, illegal
boko haram ,illegal
the presidency of yaradua .illegal
oil money laundering, illegal
ceding of bakasi to cameroon ,illegal
sacking of workers illegal
beign in recession since 50 years, before the recession of 2009 that hit the world,
all the preachers making money out of the gullible members , illegal
aondoaka or what ever he is called is doing illegal jobs by protecting illegal people like ibori,kalu,obj etc
my only word for all this illegallity is that our leaders must pay, even in there graves ,there generation must pay, na turn by turn
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by nigboy(m): 4:04pm On Jan 04, 2010
What made him illegal

The predecessor did the right thing in accordance with the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

http://electric-adjustable-beds..com/
Re: Nigeria Gets 'illegal' New Chief Justice by shoboy9: 6:49pm On Jan 05, 2010
But why are they so desperate? Why not wait for UMYA to return? Or are they so certain he isn't coming back?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years / #occupy Nigeria Protests In Pretoria , South Africa / Vigilantes Barred From Carrying Arms In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.