Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,994 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:12 PM

Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets (4568 Views)

6 Things NITEL Should Do To Get Nigerians To Buy Its SIM Cards Like Hot Cakes! / Cybercrime: Doing This On The Internet Can Send You To Prison – NCC / MTN Barred From Further Sale Of SIM Cards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 10:47pm On Dec 30, 2009
^^ Delete UK nd South Africa 4rm ur list.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mamagee3(f): 10:55pm On Dec 30, 2009
Let's see how long this policy would last? undecided
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by slimes(m): 11:16pm On Dec 30, 2009
What a shame! A popular country that has no National Telephony, Airways, Raiways, e.t.c. I'm not proud to be a member of this predicament called Nigeria!
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 11:49pm On Dec 30, 2009
slimes:

What a shame! A popular country that has no National Telephony, Airways, Raiways, e.t.c. I'm not proud to be a member of this predicament called Nigeria!

. . . . . . and who is? undecided undecided
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mendax: 1:17am On Dec 31, 2009
@puskin, y should he delete Uk frm d list. Ofcourse if u walk into O2, virgin or any of the main networks, they must take ur registratn details whether it's post paid or prepaid service u want. However, u can stil buy those simcards without registratn in small shops.

@all,
I hope that this thing works cos I believe the laws are made in good faith. However, I want all contributors to note that this law was not just given to the telecomms operators. A long time ago they were informed to get the details of their customers and they hav been doing just that. So it's not as if they hav only 3 mths to come up with the whole details. And like some1 posted earlier, they could easily block the SM of unregistered customers. The question now remains to be asked, would the telecomms companies be dedicated enough to take such drastic measures? Don't 4get it's the money they are after. Especially if they know the Nigerian system can't detect whether they at ensuring the registration. If it was another country, I would hav been more confident if the success of the operation, lookin bak at the recent similar incident in India were millions of subscribers were blocked because they were warned to stop using china cones that had no traceable IMEI numbers. I hope this operation works sha
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by ebor(m): 2:02am On Dec 31, 2009
good policy. But i hope it will not fail like d National I.D card scheme.policy making isn't our problem in dis country but implementation.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 2:08am On Dec 31, 2009
mendax:

@puskin, y should he delete Uk frm d list. Ofcourse if u walk into O2, virgin or any of the main networks, they must take your registratn details whether it's post paid or prepaid service u want. However, u can stil buy those simcards without registratn in small shops.

K. Now U said it urself that if U walk into any of the main networks' offices/outlets, they must take ur registration details before giving U their SIM.
So how many people in the UK go to these networks' offices for their SIMs. Not much. People in UK that are very frugal with money will waste their transport money to the network's outlet just to get SIM.
I seriously and knowingly doubt that.

Now apply that scenario in Nigeria, U honestly think that people will go these networks' outlets to purchase their SIM cards when they can comfortable walk into one corner-corner shop to get the same SIM.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by DisGuy: 2:16am On Dec 31, 2009
puskin:

K. Now U said it urself that if U walk into any of the main networks' offices/outlets, they must take your registration details before giving U their SIM.
So how many people in the UK go to these networks' offices for their SIMs. Not much. People in UK that are very frugal with money will waste their transport money to the network's outlet just to get SIM.
I seriously and knowingly doubt that.

Now apply that scenario in Nigeria, U honestly think that people will go these networks' outlets to purchase their SIM cards when they can comfortable walk into one corner-corner shop to get the same SIM.

I think he meant (phone) retail outlets which are basically everywhere
and there are actually network outlets in most city centres anyway

If barriers are placed so that you dont get maximum benefits of your sim card you will be forced to
register it after a while, Etisalat alreadly [url=http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5503864-147/Etisalat_cancelled_subscribers%27_numbers__.csp]cancelled some subscribers number[/url] due to none activation
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by DisGuy: 2:30am On Dec 31, 2009
aieromon:

I ain't opposed to it.It's just that it's gonna be an exercise in futility in a country where people carry fake birth certificates and don't have valid identification details.They should focus on reducing tariff charges.
That right there increases consumer satisfaction, and not this lazy policy.Weak attempt to excuse the NPF from their primary functions.NCC should focus on bringing the best out of the service providers.Danger!!!Wahala dey - NCC wants to help National Population Council and Department of National & Civic Registration do their job nah.Ask Ministry of Internal Affairs why i must pay to collect my National I.D whose photograph does not look anything like me.Ask them how my kid brother paid to get his misplaced birth certificate without an affidavit and a police report undecided undecided
Let's set our priorities right,jare

Well some people said the tax drive by Tinubu/fFashola will be an exercise in futility but we've seen concrete proof igr raising astronomically- not perfect but still getting somewhere
I think a time will come when people are asked to provide several proof of address which a telephone bill will be one of them, The NCC cant on their own reduce tariffs; as part of the incentive attracting foreign/local investors to the sector is their ability to get a return on their investment over a certain period of time its only been 10 years and most importantly power which is a major operating aspect is a FG responsibility not NCC. NCC already announced some reduction is charges/cost which should normally be passed on to customers but na naija if them no force them no go reduce tariff.

Most police authorities in the world rely heavily on citizens (tatafos) ISPs, Telecoms operator, local corner shops, etc etc in solving/reducing crime so this can go a long way in helping the NPF as incompetent as they are
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mendax: 2:43am On Dec 31, 2009
@puskin, yeah u ar right, but as dis guy pointed out, the retail outlets ar evrywher u do t need to really kill urself to ge to them. I agree that the scheme would b a hard task to Implement, but they could make a food attempt wit good marketing strategies like preventing. Maximum benefits instead of knocking u off completely. They could bring promos an say u can't benefit if u aren't registered. Though me & u know that a criminal who WANs to perpetrate a crime doesn't giv a damn about promos.

The challenges though ar many. For eg, in developed countries they could actually keep a track of a registered customer. If u change an address, they know. Infact in the Uk u can't buy a tv without govin ur address. Ofcourse that's not the case in 9ja, once u decide to move ir home, even if ur registratn details were correct, u don't need to sign any agreement wit anyone b4 rentin or buyin a house. So u could technically disappear. My 3 Nigerian sims were registered wit the operators, So I don't really hav a problem wit their new law, but if we had a functioning system that wasn't disjointed, were all arms of govt & sectors are workin together, this task doesn't need to be only on the telecomms operators. We had National ID card exercises, voters registration, e-passport exercise and in these cases pple gave their contact numbers and were stored in datbases, it would just be an issue of cross references and then atleast a sizeable number of sim owners would be known.

If on the otherhand it's another un4tun8 selfish exercise wit underlying motives, like sum ppl hav pointed out ( and which cannot b ruled out in Nigeria) then , sad
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by DisGuy: 2:47am On Dec 31, 2009
One of the benefits of registration would be recovering your number when you lose your phone
Tmobile for example will send you a new sim card with 48hours to your home address
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mendax: 2:59am On Dec 31, 2009
@dis guy, u r right and I like ur comment on airomon's post

@aieromon, at the risk of sounding like I don't care or I am rich, I feel that the main pro lem right now isn't for the telecomms operators to concentare on reducing the tariff. Don't get me wrong, they can reduce their tariff, but I even feel given the present circumstances in the country, they at even tryin. Do u k ow what it takes to run all their base stations 24/7 on generators. Our main problem is the issue of power in the country. Om the otherhand, they could intensify efforts in improving the quality of service, which is sumthin they can do effecit ely with the present resources at their disposal.

Goto some developed countries and compare charges, like in Uk or USA. In some countries U could hav a package were both the caller and receiver are been charged! Laws can't all be made at the same time, but since we are now at the bridge which concerns registering our sims (for our. Collective good) I believe we should support it. Even if only half the gsm users are registered, it's a forward step in the right direction.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 3:04am On Dec 31, 2009
What are these so called benefits that come with registering ur SIM? undecided undecided
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 3:07am On Dec 31, 2009
Dis Guy:

One of the benefits of registration would be recovering your number when you lose your phone
Tmobile for example will send you a new sim card with 48hours to your home address

This is not a benefit.
People can already retrieve their lost SIM in less than 2hours.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mendax: 3:09am On Dec 31, 2009
@puskin, What's the benefit of registering ur car!
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 3:11am On Dec 31, 2009
mendax:

@puskin, yeah u ar right, but as dis guy pointed out, the retail outlets ar evrywher u do t need to really kill urself to ge to them. I agree that the scheme would b a hard task to Implement, but they could make a food attempt wit good marketing strategies like preventing. Maximum benefits instead of knocking u off completely. They could bring promos an say u can't benefit if u aren't registered. Though me & u know that a criminal who WANs to perpetrate a crime doesn't giv a damn about promos.

The challenges though ar many. For eg, in developed countries they could actually keep a track of a registered customer. If u change an address, they know. Infact in the Uk u can't buy a tv without govin your address. Ofcourse that's not the case in 9ja, once u decide to move ir home, even if your registratn details were correct, u don't need to sign any agreement wit anyone b4 rentin or buyin a house. So u could technically disappear. My 3 Nigerian sims were registered wit the operators, So I don't really hav a problem wit their new law, but if we had a functioning system that wasn't disjointed, were all arms of govt & sectors are workin together, this task doesn't need to be only on the telecomms operators. We had National ID card exercises, voters registration, e-passport exercise and in these cases pple gave their contact numbers and were stored in datbases, it would just be an issue of cross references and then atleast a sizeable number of sim owners would be known.

If on the otherhand it's another un4tun8 selfish exercise wit underlying motives, like sum ppl hav pointed out ( and which cannot b ruled out in Nigeria) then , sad

Trust me, those data in the database don't exist.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 3:13am On Dec 31, 2009
mendax:

@puskin, What's the benefit of registering your car!

What is the cost of a car compared to the cost of a SIM.
Please, don't go there.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mendax: 3:44am On Dec 31, 2009
So u think u ar registering ur car because it's expensive? In a system that's workin, if ur car plate is sighted in a crime scene or it's used to perpetrat a crime. They'll home on u. Same goes for the sim, it could b used to assist the NPF in their duties. Like sum1 posted earlier, we may not be there yet, but we are on our way. There are benefits for u the user like dis guy mentioned, but then there are also the benefits for the security agencies, which should translate to societal benefits of fighting crime and which would ultimately be of benefit to u again.

Imagine a scenario where every sim is registered (the ideal case, which we all know is not possible). No one can commit a crime with the gsm. Remember I'm just tryin to xplain benefits and not justifying whether registering all sims are possible or not.

Back to ur car issue, if registering ur car is important, which has a small outreach, what more of a gsm? Do u also know that all gsm conversation are recorded and kept including SMS by the gsm companies and can b recalled at anytime when required by the appropriate authorities? And I'm talkin of here in Nigeria not even other places? So just giv the project a chance
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mendax: 3:55am On Dec 31, 2009
trust me, those data in the database don't exist

well atleast we know that the data for the epassport are not yet lost, since whenever I go to the airport, my passport is scanned and my data appears. wink grin

cheers
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by aieromon(m): 7:11am On Dec 31, 2009
mendax:

well atleast we know that the data for the epassport are not yet lost, since whenever I go to the airport, my passport is scanned and my data appears.

One day,you'll walk to the airport and discover that your photograph is missing grin grin grin
Dis Guy:

Well some people said the tax drive by Tinubu/f[b]Fashola[/b] will be an exercise in futility but we've seen concrete proof igr raising astronomically- not perfect but still getting somewhere

Good point,but don't you agree that the the guy crawled befrore he started walking,running and decided to spread his wings.
He decided to tackle the problems from the root unlike some other silly governors who make silly policies like if they represent chickens.
Why on earth don't you start with capturing the data of already existing subscribers?That there is my bone of contention with the whole idea.
mendax:

@dis guy, u r right and I like your comment on airomon's post

@aieromon, at the risk of sounding like I don't care or I am rich, I feel that the main pro lem right now isn't for the telecomms operators to concentare on reducing the tariff. Don't get me wrong, they can reduce their tariff, but I even feel given the present circumstances in the country, they at even tryin. Do u k ow what it takes to run all their base stations 24/7 on generators. Our main problem is the issue of power in the country. Om the otherhand, they could intensify efforts in improving the quality of service, which is sumthin they can do effecit ely with the present resources at their disposal.

Goto some developed countries and compare charges, like in Uk or USA. In some countries U could hav a package were both the caller and receiver are been charged! Laws can't all be made at the same time, but since we are now at the bridge which concerns registering our sims (for our. Collective good) I believe we should support it. Even if only half the gsm users are registered, it's a forward step in the right direction.

Something worth doing deserves to be done to the fullest.Do you know the probability of the other half susceptibility to violence induced behavior?Scary,right.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by aieromon(m): 7:15am On Dec 31, 2009
Dis Guy:

Tell 'em to come and buy one of the GSM licenses in Nigeria and see whether they don't turn to tin gods. grin grin grin
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by SwtzMinx(f): 7:26am On Dec 31, 2009
.*rolling eyes*, wetin b dz one again??
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by nellaluv(f): 7:49am On Dec 31, 2009
At least it will help me catch those useless flashers with unknown identity tongue tongue
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by aieromon(m): 8:01am On Dec 31, 2009
nellaluv:

At least it will help me catch those useless flashers with unknown identity tongue tongue

How
That's confidential information the network subscribers are not willing to share with you
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 8:09am On Dec 31, 2009
mendax:

well atleast we know that the data for the epassport are not yet lost, since whenever I go to the airport, my passport is scanned and my data appears. wink grin

aieromon:

One day,you'll walk to the airport and discover that your photograph is missing grin grin grin

. . . . . or they'll tell U at the check-in counter in the airport that your epassport can't be found up in the database. grin
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by nellaluv(f): 8:24am On Dec 31, 2009
@ aieromon they will, if u 'u know', if they didn't give me the identity of the unknown, they would still tell me the person that flashed me with a visible no. I will be so surprised to know dat it's papa aieromon dat has been flashing me tongue
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by sayso: 8:33am On Dec 31, 2009
good idea I think
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by aieromon(m): 8:36am On Dec 31, 2009
nellaluv:

@ aieromon they will, if u 'u know', if they didn't give me the identity of the unknown, they would still tell me the person that flashed me with a visible no. I will be so surprised to know dat it's papa aieromon dat has been flashing me tongue

Chei,am not that jobless to be stalking.
Btw,i still insist that you can't be given that information except on police request.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by nellaluv(f): 8:46am On Dec 31, 2009
Insist all u want dude, this is one of the minor issues y dey need to reg. peoples data, so they can iddenntttiffy
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by belelikfin(m): 11:28am On Dec 31, 2009
A law like this exist in this country and it was not implemented at the beginning of the GMS revolution and left until now.
what a way to be stampede during this process.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by tobidaflava(m): 11:29am On Dec 31, 2009
Congratulations!
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by semid4lyfe(m): 12:10pm On Dec 31, 2009
belelikfin:

A law like this exist in this country and it was not implemented at the beginning of the GMS revolution and left until now.
what a way to be stampede during this process.
Prof, abeg easy with the grammar nah. Omoboy no wear bulletproof grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iphone 6 Or Samsung Galaxy S6, Which One To Buy? / My Experience With MATRIX TRADE-IN Today At Computer Village, Ikeja. / Is The Airtel Midnight 1hour Plan Fast?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.