Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,985 members, 7,810,743 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets (4567 Views)

6 Things NITEL Should Do To Get Nigerians To Buy Its SIM Cards Like Hot Cakes! / Cybercrime: Doing This On The Internet Can Send You To Prison – NCC / MTN Barred From Further Sale Of SIM Cards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by Spyker: 12:47pm On Dec 31, 2009
We need an efficient and effective database before this will work. Otherwise, it will be like the failed National Identity card
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by Torombo(m): 1:28pm On Dec 31, 2009
Yeye NCC,

Talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!

69 million SIM cards already in circulation without anyway to know who owns which. I think there's enough for kidnappers and criminals to get their hands on if they want to.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by lynxnoon(m): 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2009
so wat was NNC doin wen d telecom coys were pouring d sims into d streets? undecided
RUBBISH!!
they should look for something else to rant about!! angry angry
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by BossTtdiamonds(m): 11:12pm On Dec 31, 2009
I just dont know what those Idiots, hv up in em' heads,
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by BossTtdiamonds(m): 11:12pm On Dec 31, 2009
I just dont know what those Idiots, hv up in em' heads,
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by dragnet: 9:11am On Jan 01, 2010
How many years & deadlines did it take to stop gas flaring ?

. . Ok o. . I wuld register but would u knw hw authentic my details are ? . . .hehehe
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by tobidaflava(m): 9:22am On Jan 01, 2010
Happy New Year!
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by tommyking: 9:42am On Jan 01, 2010
Please gurus in d house help me I just bought a new zain line it refuses 2 connect to d internet I tried maual config it stil shows packet data etc etc. Auto settings would not go either i am thinkin dat maybe if i migrate from d zain joli it came wit I just might solve it so I would like som1 to paste d codes to migrate to other zain packages or if anyone has any better idea should plz let me know thanks to u all
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 6:21pm On Jan 01, 2010
dragnet:

How many years & deadlines did it take to stop gas flaring ?

. . Ok o. . I wuld register but would u knw hw authentic my details are ? . . .hehehe

We all have some Oluwole details now. undecided undecided
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by asoderock(m): 4:46pm On Jan 02, 2010
Sim registration is perfectly ok, for security reasons.
In many countries, terrorist attacks, robberies and even political corruption have been exposed because the owner of the sim used in the plot was traceable.

If u dont have anything to hide, I will be surprised if you oppose this idea.

The challenge though is how to secure personal data. But that too can be done
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by aieromon(m): 6:12pm On Jan 02, 2010
asoderock:

Sim registration is perfectly ok, for security reasons.
In many countries, terrorist attacks, robberies and even political corruption have been exposed because the owner of the sim used in the plot was traceable.

If u dont have anything to hide, I will be surprised if you oppose this idea.

The challenge though is how to secure personal data. But that too can be done

It should be clear by now that if that were the issue,it should start with already existing subscribers.They know they were talking for the fun of it that's why they want to start with new subscribers.
See the way Lagos State is pursuing its tax collection.They went from house to house,office to office to collate data.They could as well have sat down in their offices and capture the data of those freshly employed and what have you.All you need is to pile pressure on the service providers who will then persuade their subscribers to register their lines or risk deactivation.
This is a clear case of grandstanding - TALK is CHEAP
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jan 02, 2010
can this happen?
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by BossTtdiamonds(m): 9:44pm On Jan 02, 2010
Copist:

can this happen?
I wonder oh!
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by olatayor(m): 7:41am On Jan 03, 2010
let all network providers build a registration page online aside the office documentation thing so people can go online to fill in their details.this will make the registration easy for anyone who sees a good thing in it.but why cant ncc reduce d tariff and increase freebies on d networks like free hours of internet,txt messaging and d likes.thats what we really nid now(comfort)
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by labiyemmy(m): 2:53pm On Jan 03, 2010
puskin:

In various countries around d world, registration details is relevant  only if U want 2buy a postpaid line,
NCC want 2nw force operators 2apply it 2pre-paid lines as well.
In which country do network operators obtain registration details b4 selling U a pre-paid line? undecided
K.
March 1, 2010.
Im waiting.

This is not only laughable, it is wrong and petty, why must Nigeria copy everything other countries does? These arguments just points to one more thing, the fact that Nigerians needs to travel out of their cocoons and see whats going on in other countries. I recently came back from South Africa, where I needed to buy a PAY as you go MTN SIM card, I could not do so because I do not have a verifiable address, my hotel address was not tenable because it is not verifiable- in essence I could not buy the SIM card because I can not register it. So, if NIGERIA passes a law to do the same, why is that seen as wrong or un necessary by the same Nigerians who complains daily of the way and manner people use mobie phones to commit attrocities all over the country?

Sometimes, I am amazed at the arguments placed by Nigerians and can just simple ask them to think better or take a trip outside your little space and see how things are done else where and why they are done so.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 1:50am On Jan 04, 2010
@labiyemmy:

This is not only laughable, it is wrong and petty, why must Nigeria copy everything other countries does? These arguments just points to one more thing, the fact that Nigerians needs to travel out of their cocoons and see whats going on in other countries. I recently came back from South Africa, where I needed to buy a PAY as you go MTN SIM card, I could not do so because I do not have a verifiable address, my hotel address was not tenable because it is not verifiable- in essence I could not buy the SIM card because I can not register it. So, if NIGERIA passes a law to do the same, why is that seen as wrong or un necessary by the same Nigerians who complains daily of the way and manner people use mobie phones to commit attrocities all over the country?

Sometimes, I am amazed at the arguments placed by Nigerians and can just simple ask them to think better or take a trip outside your little space and see how things are done else where and why they are done so.

Noboby is against anything. We must get our prioriteis right. How do you go about registering SIMs when we don't even have an accurate census figure not to talk of a comprehensive database of people living in Nigeria. We mustn't do things 'cos others are doing them.

You couldn't get an MTN SIM 'cos U went about getting it in the the wrong area. There are so many places in SA where you can get a SIM without being being required to give some details. Thats why pre-paid lines are called PAYG, Pay As You GO
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by aieromon(m): 7:36am On Jan 04, 2010
@labiyemmy
You certainly didn't factor in some variables before commenting on this thread.
Pray,do tell whether the registration of sims in ZA has reduced the crime rate in any magnitude.
The main purpose of sim registration is not to check crime rate,rather it is to determine the number of suscribers in the country as well as its population teledensity.
Banks collect data before they trancsact business with customers,has that checked fraud?
Schools collect data before they register you for external exams,has that checked malpractices?
FRSC collect data before they issue you driving license,has that stopped a 15year old from acquiring one?
If you think registration of sim cards in Nigeria is a way to curb crime rate in Nigeria,then why don't we let NCC do the job of NPF? undecided
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mendax: 12:57pm On Jan 04, 2010
aieromon:

It should be clear by now that if that were the issue,it should start with already existing subscribers.They know they were talking for the fun of it that's why they want to start with new subscribers.

nawa wo, ofcourse they hav already started with old customers a long time ago. the telecomms operators were given that task to start getting details from there customers, and i am surprised ppl that comment on this topic havent heard of it!
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by mendax: 1:13pm On Jan 04, 2010
aieromon:

@labiyemmy
You certainly didn't factor in some variables before commenting on this thread.
Pray,do tell whether the registration of sims in ZA has reduced the crime rate in any magnitude.
The main purpose of sim registration is not to check crime rate,rather it is to determine the number of suscribers in the country as well as its population teledensity.
Banks collect data before they trancsact business with customers,has that checked fraud?
Schools collect data before they register you for external exams,has that checked malpractices?
FRSC collect data before they issue you driving license,has that stopped a 15year old from acquiring one?
If you think registration of sim cards in Nigeria is a way to curb crime rate in Nigeria,then why don't we let NCC do the job of NPF? undecided

u that is saying it hasnt checked the crime rate, what is ur source? how sure ar u that if the sims werent registered the crime rate wouldnt hav been more.

and u r sayin that the reason for registration is to know the number of subscribers on a network, that is ABSURD. whether the users are registered or not, so far u make calls, they immediately know, they know where u make the call from and they even know ur fone IMEI. pls dont mislead ppl on this thread. moreover, for the sake of argument, lets agree that the registration is to know how many ppl ar on the network, is it a bad thing? or whats wrong with havin more than one reason for carryin out an exercise?

u r even sayin that if the reason is to curb crime rate that we should let NCC do the job of NPF? i'm sure u havent read through this thread, how many times earlier has it been mentioned that, the data obtained frm the telecomms operators is just to assist the NPF in carryin out their mandate. EG, a kidnapper begins to call with a gsm fone asking for ransom, the NPF needs to contact the telecom operator (after obtaining clearance) to get the owner of the fone, and the location the call is made frm. abeg ppl should stop arguing unnecessirily! i hav personally seen such a case where it was later confirmed that the kidnappers were using a fone that belonged to the driver of the kidnapped chinese workers, and this happened in this country not sumwhere else. u know how? not by registration but by the IMEI number of the fone. the same IMEI was registered for his other sim card,
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by labiyemmy(m): 5:17pm On Jan 04, 2010
puskin:

Noboby is against anything. We must get our prioriteis right. How do you go about registering SIMs when we don't even have an accurate census figure not to talk of a comprehensive database of people living in Nigeria. We mustn't do things 'cos others are doing them.

You couldn't get an MTN SIM 'cos U went about getting it in the the wrong area. There are so many places in SA where you can get a SIM without being being required to give some details. Thats why pre-paid lines are called PAYG, Pay As You GO

You talk as if you possess all the wisdom in the world.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by aieromon(m): 10:39pm On Jan 04, 2010
mendax:

nawa wo, ofcourse they hav already started with old customers a long time ago. the telecomms operators were given that task to start getting details from there customers, and i am surprised ppl that comment on this topic havent heard of it!

Can you please repost,all i'm seeing is blank blank blank undecided

u that is saying it hasnt checked the crime rate, what is your source? how sure ar u that if the sims werent registered the crime rate wouldnt hav been more.

Got any source?

and u r sayin that the reason for registration is to know the number of subscribers on a network, that is ABSURD.
Sure is
FRSC issues out driving licenses to curb crime
Schools issue out identification cards to curb crime
NIS issues out passports to curb crime
Hell,even the reason for national census is to curb crime tongue undecided undecided undecided

u r even sayin that if the reason is to curb crime rate that we should let NCC do the job of NPF? i'm sure u havent read through this thread, how many times earlier has it been mentioned that, the data obtained frm the telecomms operators is just to assist the NPF in carryin out their mandate.

Read through and you will see where i posted that this is a weak attempt to excuse the NPF from their responsibility

EG, a kidnapper begins to call with a gsm fone asking for ransom, the NPF needs to contact the telecom operator (after obtaining clearance) to get the owner of the fone, and the location the call is made frm. abeg ppl should stop arguing unnecessirily! i hav personally seen such a case where it was later confirmed that the kidnappers were using a fone that belonged to the driver of the kidnapped chinese workers, and this happened in this country not sumwhere else. u know how? not by registration but by the IMEI number of the fone. the same IMEI was registered for his other sim card,

I think you need to go through my posts carefully before quoting me.Your angle is glaucoma-prone
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by puskin: 11:30pm On Jan 04, 2010
@labiyemmy:

You talk as if you possess all the wisdom in the world.

Sorry dude, I don't.
I ain't no 2010 King Solomon.
Re: Ncc Bars Sale Of Sim Cards On The Streets by otukpo(f): 10:06am On Jan 05, 2010
its a good move. Hope it works out.

It will go a long way to reduce tel fraud.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HOTTEST: Have YOu Gotten THe MTN Free 30GB.. See Here Now / Iphone 6 Or Samsung Galaxy S6, Which One To Buy? / My Experience With MATRIX TRADE-IN Today At Computer Village, Ikeja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.