Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,663 members, 7,820,328 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? (5758 Views)

Dear Parents, in whose care have you left your child? Pics! / The Roles Of A Father! / Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by biggaboy: 2:03pm On Dec 30, 2009
Pls i will like to know the roles of parent in seeing their child (ren) gettting marry. Even after marriage wht are their roles?

I have a guy , that is in love with a girl and the girl love him too, but the girl's parent (mother- a widow) is against it base on religion differences. while the lady in question has already changed to her guy religion. Her relationship with the guy's family is perfect but it is only her family standing as obstacle,

so wht are the roles of parents in marriage?

* Are they to determine spouse for their child?
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by Fhemmmy: 2:55pm On Dec 30, 2009
To guide them, but not to chose for them.
But if they have mumu as a child, then, no wahala.
But only Mumu begat mumu sha
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by coolier(f): 3:10pm On Dec 30, 2009
They should be their role models.
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by Fhemmmy: 3:13pm On Dec 30, 2009
coolier:

They should be their role models.

That will be good, if the parents are the good ones
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by Kx: 3:17pm On Dec 30, 2009
To make good moeny available to them,send them to good schools
in any part of the world and afford costly accommodations for them. grin
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On Dec 30, 2009
Kx:

To make good moeny available to them,send them to good schools
in any part of the world and afford costly accommodations for them. grin

Why shd they send you to school and all that, after you are already old enuf to marry?
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by coolier(f): 3:23pm On Dec 30, 2009
Fhemmmy:

That will be good, if the parents are the good ones

I am only saying parents should lead by example. tongue
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by Fhemmmy: 3:39pm On Dec 30, 2009
coolier:

I am only saying parents should lead by example. tongue

I know what you mean, but how can they lead by example, when some of the Fathers are terror within the home, some are cheaters, and some mothers will yab the man when him no get money.
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by iice(f): 6:50pm On Dec 30, 2009
Guide and Advice.
If they did a bang up job, they'd trust their child to make the right choice.
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by omega25red(m): 7:47pm On Dec 30, 2009
provide the money for the wedding give advice and do not force your views because we all have to make our own mistakes
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by Fhemmmy: 9:41pm On Dec 30, 2009
omega25red:

provide the money for the wedding give advice and do not force your views because we all have to make our own mistakes

If you want them to provide u the money to get married, then, it means you are still a boy and they have the right to tell you what to do.
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by Sissy3(f): 10:54pm On Dec 30, 2009
sometimes many young couples are so much "in-love" with each that they fail to look in their rear view mirror and i believe its the job and responsibility of parents to advice them, guide them and direct them especially when it comes to marriage. marriage, i believe is a journey, and in that journey one will encounter many storms and waves, the parents are there direct/advice them, tell them what marriage is and not. every marriage needs support to grow and last

even after marriage, i believe they still have a role to play as an outside advisors, however, there should be boundaries as how far they can come. . .  . meaning not everything that happens between a couple should they be aware of. inasmuch, they should be there, couples should learn to manage their conflicts and martial issues without a phone call to mommy or daddy.
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by mamagee3(f): 10:56pm On Dec 30, 2009
To guide and give them advice in their marriage. tongue
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by Fhemmmy: 10:58pm On Dec 30, 2009
~Sissy~:

sometimes many young couples are so much "in-love" with each that they fail to look in their rear view mirror and i believe its the job and responsibility of parents to advice them, guide them and direct them especially when it comes to marriage. marriage, i believe is a journey, and in that journey one will encounter many storms and waves, the parents are there direct them, tell them what marriage is and not.

even after marriage, i believe they still have a role to play as an outside advisors, however, there should be boundaries as how far they can come. . . . meaning not everything that happens between a couple should they be aware of. inasmuch, they should be there, couples should learn to manage their conflicts and martial issues without a phone call to mommy or daddy.

Beautiful, thus my question, how do a woman know that she is ready for marriage . . . . men are just one bigger beast with too much wahala, and woman needs to learn how to deal with them without breaking the fragile kid in them as well.
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by Sissy3(f): 3:35am On Dec 31, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Beautiful, thus my question, how do  a woman know that she is ready for marriage . . . . men are just one bigger beast with too much wahala, and woman needs to learn how to deal with them without breaking the fragile kid in them as well.

ahhh, Fhemmmy thats a good and serious question oo, because the age of maturity varies greatly among individuals especially in women. there is no measure of such especially when it comes to a lifetime commitment like marriage. a woman might be ready at 18, and another at 30, it all depends on individual growth, awareness and choice

however, in this day and time, one may claim that a woman should have her degree and be financially independent before marriage, but then not everyone would be able to achieve such and it doesnt mean they arent mature/ready for marriage.

personally for me, i think she is ready when she knows the kind of journey marriage entails. when shes emotionally and spiritually ready to make that commitment and ready to face responsibility. when she is ready to sacrifice, communicate, know to resolve most conflicts amicably,learn,listen,respect, and grow and when you have similar goals and aspirations with your spouse etc.  not neglecting other important aspects too.
Re: What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? by biggaboy: 7:36am On Dec 31, 2009
~Sissy~:

sometimes many young couples are so much "in-love" with each that they fail to look in their rear view mirror and i believe its the job and responsibility of parents to advice them, guide them and direct them especially when it comes to marriage. marriage, i believe is a journey, and in that journey one will encounter many storms and waves, the parents are there direct them, tell them what marriage is and not.

even after marriage, i believe they still have a role to play as an outside advisors, however, there should be boundaries as how far they can come. . . . meaning not everything that happens between a couple should they be aware of. inasmuch, they should be there, couples should learn to manage their conflicts and martial issues without a phone call to mommy or daddy.

nice points.

(1) (Reply)

How To Be A Better Wife / Just Before I Leave: A Nairalander's Pre-suicide Thoughts / Hubby Loves Me But I Love My Boyfriend More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.