Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,874 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

The Roles Of A Father! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Roles Of A Father! (21749 Views)

Why Women Are The Weaker Sex And What Men's Roles Are. / What are The Roles Of A Husband When His Wife Is Pregnant? / What Are The Roles Of Parents In Their Child Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Roles Of A Father! by Stegomiah: 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2013
I read some threads here and i was prompted to create this thread.
Most fathers have forgotten dia roles/ responsibilities, some thinks providing for the needs of the family is their only responsibility, some are in diaspora, a gentleman created a thread searching for his father, although i don't know how many years but i pitied him.

Some fathers are just useless, some refuse to claim responsibility of dia very own child, some left the poor woman αlσиє with her kid, some carry prostitutes about, some always drink themselves to stupor, although being a teetotal does not guarantee u to be a real dad and some are lazy and jobless, and are as good as being dead.

What exactly are the roles of a father? this thread is to remind you of your roles, duties and responsibilities to your family and the society.
Below are the roles of a father;

1. Good Example

Your life is like a book they are reading, they are watching you, your actions, your deeds...
Be a good example in character, in conversation, in your actions and deeds... Live an examplary life.

2. Priest/Imam

Let them know the way of the God you serve, teach and lead them to pray and live a godly life.
'The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom'.

3. Provider

Do not let your family suffer, you are the bread winner of the house and it is your responsibility to provide for them.
Provide them food, shelter and clothings, provide for your child the best legacy and investment which is Education. Do not be lazy, be hardworking and God will crown your efforts!

4. Protector

It is your role to protect your family. Protect them from the evil vices of this world, stand up and defend your family when necessary.
I remembad i read a touching story in the dailies about a Man who died while trying to prevent armed robbers from raping his wife, he said i can't watch it happen, i'll rather die, he killed two of them, before he was shot dead and they were unable to rape the woman. The wife said 'my husband died a heroe', and she would never forget that. That family will forever be proud of their father, that is a real Father!

5. Playmate

It is not only your wife you have to play with, also play with your children. Take them out, walk hand in hand with them, buy the young ones toys, play games, basketball, golf and other sports with the elder ones too, once in a while take them out to the cinemas, out for shopping, take them on vacations.. cos those moments are unforgettable.

6. Companion

Always be there for your family, cos they need you. Be with your children on their first day at school, on their graduation and most importantly on their wedding day! Be with your wife during pregnancy and labour period, be with them on anniversaries like birthday, christmas...

7. Teacher

Teach your children what to do, when and how. Teach them your religion beliefs, also go through their homeworks.
'One real father is better than a thousand headmasters', '
charity, education begins at home'.

8. Trainer

Train them in Gods way, train them to be good and law abiding citizens, train them on their responsibilities to the family, the school, religion and the society.
Don't forget child training has more to do with your lifestyle than what you tell them i.e it has more to do with what they seee than what they hear, that is why you must be a good example to them.

9. Servant

Render selfless service to your family, it shouldn't be all about you, buy clothes for every one before buying for yourself.
Jesus washed his disciples feet, serve them at home, serve at work, serve in ur place of worship. Do not be proud, cos pride goeth before a fall!

10. L♥√ع

The greatest gift a father can offer his children is to L♥√ع their mother.
Also L♥√ع your children, make them feel at home, make them feel welcomed, be a good listener, let them feel the fatherly warmth and embrace.
Finally, once in a yl, tell them 'you L♥√ع them'. I can never forget a day i was mad at my dad and i refused to come home, it was getting late and he was concerned, i refused to pick his calls, then he sent me a text telling me how much he loves me, he pleaded that i should come home so we can settle. Yl reading the text i bursted into tears and started running home, 4got 2 say goodbye 2 my fwend whom i was with! When i got home he embrace me and said he was sorry, i was lyk i L♥√ع you too dad... For a very long time, i had that text on my phone, am pretty sure av read the text over a thousand times, it was a moment i still cherish. Say dos 3 words, it works like magic.

Fathers, your child needs you, your wife needs you, your family needs you, and the society needs you, your children defines your family, your family defines our society, our society defines the Nation and the world at large.
Be a responsible father, a point of reference most of all make your family to be proud of you.

30 Likes

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by k2039: 2:59pm On Jun 16, 2013
I agree with you. A father is not just a sper.m donor but he his a life giver(by life giver I'm implying all the points you listed).

4 Likes

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Princesszoe: 4:26pm On Jun 16, 2013
Op may God bless you for this honest truth filled post. Amen
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by JohnnyPalmer: 6:12pm On Jun 16, 2013
Today is fathers day, but because i do not like my father i just opened many father's day thread and refused to comment, but this thread exposed some of my fathers fault and many fathers have to read this, it is true that most of them have failed in their responsibilities.
Learnt a lot from this thread already, watta write-up.
Moderators, please please and please i want this thread to be on the front-page, biko!

3 Likes

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ill give anything in this world to have a man that has qualities 4,6,9 and 1o.there are indeed a lot of men out there,but fathers are rare.many men lack many of this qualities,only a few and to be honest the few i get to see that are a bundle of all this to their wives and kids are usually not appreciated or respected by their wives.

Today i went to church and coincidentally my pastor preached about the roles of fathers.very similar to what op typed here and i could not but appreciate my father and all the men,(not just people that have a penis) but people real faithful and selfless single men and fathers.i call them men with a heart of gold

lastly i will use this day and opportunity to apologize to single guys and or fathers in and out of nairaland who i have despised,insulted,shuuned or have been rude to,i really am very sorry,from the depth of my heart.my pastor made me see men in a different point of view,different from the perspective i used to view men.to the men with the heart of gold,from the bottom of my heart i am truly sorry and ill be more than grateful if you forgive me.ill have loved to mention names but they are too much,let me just make it a general thing

2 Likes

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Stegomiah: 1:15am On Jun 17, 2013
Princess zoe: Op may God bless you for this honest truth filled post. Amen

Amen!
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by oluwadare26(m): 2:49pm On Jun 17, 2013
God should please bless my Dad more and provide 4 him for he just score 95% of the role listed.

Luv u P-man

IF U ARE GRATEFUL TO GOD FOR THE FATHER HE GAVE U...., CLICK THE LIKE BUTTON

7 Likes

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Verbes001: 2:49pm On Jun 17, 2013
Most fathers have forgotten dia roles/ responsibilities

Op, fathers have not forgotten their roles.

1 Like

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by fitzmayowa: 2:53pm On Jun 17, 2013
100000000 likes

1 Like

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 17, 2013
I THINK EVERY ONE KNOWS THE ROLE OF A FATHER
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Lustig(m): 3:03pm On Jun 17, 2013
a trillion likes.... @op God go bless u berekete for dis wonderful thread

1 Like

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Fhemmmy: 3:12pm On Jun 17, 2013
well said . . . Someone asked a question this weekend that made my heart bleed . . "Where is Daddy"

1 Like

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by nbright: 3:16pm On Jun 17, 2013
Nice post and valid points.. Can someone/anybody please create a thread detailing the merits of feminism?. It seems our ladies are gradually joining the movement
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Alwaystrue(f): 3:20pm On Jun 17, 2013
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by nbright: 3:25pm On Jun 17, 2013
kulyie: Ill give anything in this world to have a man that has qualities 4,6,9 and 1o.there are indeed a lot of men out there,but fathers are rare.many men lack many of this qualities,only a few and to be honest the few i get to see that are a bundle of all this to their wives and kids are usually not appreciated or respected by their wives.

Today i went to church and coincidentally my pastor preached about the roles of fathers.very similar to what op typed here and i could not but appreciate my father and all the men,(not just people that have a penis) but people real faithful and selfless single men and fathers.i call them men with a heart of gold

lastly i will use this day and opportunity to apologize to single guys and or fathers in and out of nairaland who i have despised,insulted,shuuned or have been rude to,i really am very sorry,from the depth of my heart.my pastor made me see men in a different point of view,different from the perspective i used to view men.to the men with the heart of gold,from the bottom of my heart i am truly sorry and ill be more than grateful if you forgive me.ill have loved to mention names but they are too much,let me just make it a general thing
eeeya, sincerely speaking you were among the ladies on my mind when I commented above. But thank God your pastor opened your eyes to see that not "ALL MEN" are beast... Some were good but women made them to change their character.. Hoping to be a MAN my wife and kids will be proud of..
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Blackteeth(m): 3:30pm On Jun 17, 2013
Women want to be empowered, but they dont want to take the responsibilites that comes with the power. As long as women want to rub shoulders with men, the above responsibilites should apply to women too.

Anyway, there is nothing new in all that was stated. Anyone with common sense should know it.

2 Likes

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by mooa404(m): 3:43pm On Jun 17, 2013
[color=#770077][/color] grin
Verbes001:

Not all of us
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Fhemmmy: 3:49pm On Jun 17, 2013
Verbes001:

A father that is never there for the kids has forgotten his role
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Slimcurtis1(m): 4:06pm On Jun 17, 2013
MY Father scored 0%. how am i expected to love someone who abused me emotionally and neglected me? how iam expected to appreciate someone who doesn't care if am alive? he neglected me in all manners you can think of for the past 17yrs of my life.

1 Like

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 17, 2013
undecidedI wish I have a daddy with all thes qualities. He is my my daddy anyways.

I am working towards being a good father and o make sure my Wife and children do not sufer what my mum, me and ma siblings suffered.
Xo help me God.
Thank u veru much OP
Emm, wht is the meaning of OP sef? Opinion Poster or Original Point? pls som1 shuld tell.
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by JohnnyPalmer: 5:33pm On Jun 17, 2013
Fhemmmy:

A father that is never there for the kids has forgotten his role

Gbam!
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Burger01(m): 5:34pm On Jun 17, 2013
Whao! Touching.

I would be these and many more to my family. They are the reason am in this world.. They are the reason I wake up everyday and struggle to make things better. I love you son and I love your mama....
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Sprumbaba: 6:26pm On Jun 17, 2013
Story for marriage counseling
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by SymbolicalIdol(m): 8:12pm On Jun 17, 2013
It's not really easy to be a good father,but determinations can make it easy.
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by emmabest2000(m): 10:34pm On Jun 17, 2013
Fathers papa IDE JI UNO
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 17, 2013
It's a pity that most African fathers lack the least of qualities.

Polygamous men create a war for their children, but we thank God.

My own father almost made me curse God with his irresponsible & selfish nature & he's lost my love since then. Although my heart is clean towards my father, I can categorically say that he's a stranger.

A lot of fathers today are the reason why there are so many criminals in today's society, but God will give to all men what they deserve.

2 Likes

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by talk2vic: 10:41pm On Jun 17, 2013
torhuke: undecidedI wish I have a daddy with all thes qualities. He is my my daddy anyways.

I am working towards being a good father and o make sure my Wife and children do not sufer what my mum, me and ma siblings suffered.
Xo help me God.
Thank u veru much OP
Emm, wht is the meaning of OP sef? Opinion Poster or Original Point? pls som1 shuld tell.

means OPonu
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by waleadex(m): 10:45pm On Jun 17, 2013
Stegomiah: I read some threads here and i was prompted to create this thread.
Most fathers have forgotten dia roles/ responsibilities, some thinks providing for the needs of the family is their only responsibility, some are in diaspora, a gentleman created a thread searching for his father, although i don't know how many years but i pitied him.

Some fathers are just useless, some refuse to claim responsibility of dia very own child, some left the poor woman αlσиє with her kid, some carry prostitutes about, some always drink themselves to stupor, although being a teetotal does not guarantee u to be a real dad and some are lazy and jobless, and are as good as being dead.

What exactly are the roles of a father? this thread is to remind you of your roles, duties and responsibilities to your family and the society.
Below are the roles of a father;

1. Good Example

Your life is like a book they are reading, they are watching you, your actions, your deeds...
Be a good example in character, in conversation, in your actions and deeds... Live an examplary life.

2. Priest/Imam

Let them know the way of the God you serve, teach and lead them to pray and live a godly life.
'The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom'.

3. Provider

Do not let your family suffer, you are the bread winner of the house and it is your responsibility to provide for them.
Provide them food, shelter and clothings, provide for your child the best legacy and investment which is Education. Do not be lazy, be hardworking and God will crown your efforts!

4. Protector

It is your role to protect your family. Protect them from the evil vices of this world, stand up and defend your family when necessary.
I remembad i read a touching story in the dailies about a Man who died while trying to prevent armed robbers from raping his wife, he said i can't watch it happen, i'll rather die, he killed two of them, before he was shot dead and they were unable to rape the woman. The wife said 'my husband died a heroe', and she would never forget that. That family will forever be proud of their father, that is a real Father!

5. Playmate

It is not only your wife you have to play with, also play with your children. Take them out, walk hand in hand with them, buy the young ones toys, play games, basketball, golf and other sports with the elder ones too, once in a while take them out to the cinemas, out for shopping, take them on vacations.. cos those moments are unforgettable.

6. Companion

Always be there for your family, cos they need you. Be with your children on their first day at school, on their graduation and most importantly on their wedding day! Be with your wife during pregnancy and labour period, be with them on anniversaries like birthday, christmas...

7. Teacher

Teach your children what to do, when and how. Teach them your religion beliefs, also go through their homeworks.
'One real father is better than a thousand headmasters', '
charity, education begins at home'.

8. Trainer

Train them in Gods way, train them to be good and law abiding citizens, train them on their responsibilities to the family, the school, religion and the society.
Don't forget child training has more to do with your lifestyle than what you tell them i.e it has more to do with what they seee than what they hear, that is why you must be a good example to them.

9. Servant

Render selfless service to your family, it shouldn't be all about you, buy clothes for every one before buying for yourself.
Jesus washed his disciples feet, serve them at home, serve at work, serve in ur place of worship. Do not be proud, cos pride goeth before a fall!

10. L♥√ع

The greatest gift a father can offer his children is to L♥√ع their mother.
Also L♥√ع your children, make them feel at home, make them feel welcomed, be a good listener, let them feel the fatherly warmth and embrace.
Finally, once in a yl, tell them 'you L♥√ع them'. I can never forget a day i was mad at my dad and i refused to come home, it was getting late and he was concerned, i refused to pick his calls, then he sent me a text telling me how much he loves me, he pleaded that i should come home so we can settle. Yl reading the text i bursted into tears and started running home, 4got 2 say goodbye 2 my fwend whom i was with! When i got home he embrace me and said he was sorry, i was lyk i L♥√ع you too dad... For a very long time, i had that text on my phone, am pretty sure av read the text over a thousand times, it was a moment i still cherish. Say dos 3 words, it works like magic.

Fathers, your child needs you, your wife needs you, your family needs you, and the society needs you, your children defines your family, your family defines our society, our society defines the Nation and the world at large.
Be a responsible father, a point of reference most of all make your family to be proud of you.

By adhering strictly to the aforementioned,it feels good to rate myself one of the best few fathers you find around.
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by am4god: 10:51pm On Jun 17, 2013
pocketpower bank for ur blackberry no need working with extra battery,NO MORE EXCUSE FOR LOW BATTERY,just plug d power bank usb to d phone ping browse chat music till u get tired 12hours no be joke is a pocket size not big no more excuse for low battery or nepa failure also avilable 3000mah ,5000maH,10400MAH

laptop 12 hours
printer 10hours
portable dvd 15hours
clippers 12hours
home appliances tv dvd fan and bulbs 16hours
psp game 10hours
mifi usb moDEM
ALSO AVILABLE FOR NOKIA,HTC,SAMSUNG,IPAD,IPHONE AND CHINA PHONES

also avilable for other electronic call 08166117634,07046034666,08157669960..............or mail linkspoint@yahoo.com
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by nbright: 11:26pm On Jun 17, 2013
torhuke: undecidedI wish I have a daddy with all thes qualities. He is my my daddy anyways.

Xo help me God.
Thank u veru much OP
Original Poster
Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jun 17, 2013
oluwadare26: God should please bless my Dad more and provide 4 him for he just score 95% of the role listed.

Luv u P-man

IF U ARE GRATEFUL TO GOD FOR THE FATHER HE GAVE U...., CLICK THE LIKE BUTTON
just a few likes eya.shows we have more of irresponsible fathers.but they'll come here and complain about how their wives are not up to standard.so even their kids know that the daddies many aren't trying at all.
Symbolical Idol: It's not really easy to be a good father,but determinations can make it easy.
it's not easy to be a good mother either.but guys don't have problems expecting their wives to be perfect.
Blackteeth: Women want to be empowered, but they dont want to take the responsibilites that comes with the power. As long as women want to rub shoulders with men, the above responsibilites should apply to women too.
sexist comment.can you in good judgement compare the roles of a father and a mother in the home?
Mother's roles far outweighs that of the father.even the above mention is just a fraction of what the mother does.Abi u no get mama ni.rub shoulder ko.a child without a mother is more at loss than a child without father.so in the family,you guys will only try to measure up.u can't compare yourseves to your wives.she's far more important.if anyone is trying to rub shoulders,it's the men.
Last I checked,I've never seen a fatherless babies home.only motherless babies.means if the father ain't there,kid can still be alright.but if mama's gone,dude's useless in raising his small kids.

2 Likes

Re: The Roles Of A Father! by Nobody: 4:58am On Jun 18, 2013
Verbes001:

Right.. But many chose to ignore those roles wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Borrowed Money For His Studies, Now He Says I’m Old, Wife Tells Court / 82-Year-Old Missing Woman In Lagos Found / I Don't Want To Relocate My Children To The Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.