Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

ATM Scam: The New Method - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / ATM Scam: The New Method (77245 Views)

ATM Scam Caught On Camera, Goes Viral (photos) / Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? / New ATM Scam Alert Fraudsters Use And Can Put You In Serious Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Odunharry(m): 5:01pm On Apr 11, 2017
ekems2017:
Bros so sorry about that. But who confirmed the otp sent to your mobile number? Did you in anyway leave your phone and step out? There is something wrong somewhere
While this can be through, banks made it possible for people using OTP to change their pin once its activated.

Slex Biko, where you put ur ATM.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Nobody: 5:02pm On Apr 11, 2017
Op tell us when last did you pay your tithe .
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Odunharry(m): 5:04pm On Apr 11, 2017
soberdrunk:
Some Nigerians are just very quick to codemn banks for every incident even when it might be their fault, am not saying the banks are 'perfect' or 'saints' but lets be honest sometimes, there is no way a scammer will be able to access your funds without having access to your information one way or the other...... angry
Very true.. I'm just suprised People are condemning Banks and calling them thieves.

If you don't properly secure your details, Fraudsters will just feed on a customers Funds.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Idango(m): 5:05pm On Apr 11, 2017
Op you must have fallen mugu to all these fake SMS messages I receive everyday. I received one yesterday saying CBN has disabled my ATM card that I should call a particular number to reactivate it. If you call that number you are on your own. It is not CBN that manages ATM cards. If you disable my card , then you should tell me the bank .
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 11, 2017
all of you saying the op doesnt knw what he was saying need to take a chill pill, mine happened last year, it still beats my imagination as to hw my 15 k was used to shop online via aliexpress when i was with my atm 24/7

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by orbgoblin: 5:06pm On Apr 11, 2017
If it was used to buy goods online, no otp is required. Just the card number and Security @ the back. You don't even need to enter ur card pin.
ekems2017:
Bros so sorry about that. But who confirmed the otp sent to your mobile number? Did you in anyway leave your phone and step out? There is something wrong somewhere
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Nobody: 5:06pm On Apr 11, 2017
OlajumokeBread:

New scam ??

You're new to using ATM cards

Who doesn't know that you can go to a store, buy a $3 chewing gum and tell them to do a $8,000 cash back,
they would withdraw the $8,000 from the pos and hand it to you

You're obviously a new ATM card user

You can use someone's ATM card to buy anything without putting your pin

After the purchase, choose credit instead of debit and it won't require your pin
Jesuuuuuuui
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by musicwriter(m): 5:08pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:
Greetings everyone. I feel so bad , sad and traumatised right now because of how someone just decided to wake up one day and do evil to me. My essence of writing this is to use Nairaland as a means of educating more people on the dangers you may face when your ATM card has been compromised.

Yesterday after finishing up work for the day i did my usual closing time ritual; i shut my system down, switched off the AC and the sockets then started my journey and this was already 6-01pm. When i reached Chevron round about at exactly 6-37pm I heard the usual notification tone on my phone that i had received a message. I ignored after 2 mins i heard another then i removed the phone from my pocket and checked lo and behold what did i see?N20k debit alert from GTB twice.

I was like WHAT!!! when did i initiate these transactions and while still looking at the messages surprised another N20k debit alert came in after a few seconds yet another N20k totalling N80,000 naira. Like a man possessed I quickly Hotlisted my Account by sending an sms with the Hotlist format and after that i received a message that my Account has been hotlisted from GTB but it was already too late. The balance left after the N80k taken was just N7k.

My people , the feeling of seeing your money leaving your account in ral time is a very crazy experience I felt so helpless. Anyways I have gone to a GTB Branch and complained but they are telling me it can take a week to 3 months for investigations to be concluded. Me i want my money refunded and i dont even get why it has to take so long (45 days max) to resolve that issue. Thank God i have 2 other accounts but this has got me thinking that our banks need to protect s their clients more.

The thief used a POS/Web transfer channel to remove the money why?because he knows if he uses an ATM his face will be captured by CCTV or the camera on the machine meaning No be today him de do this kain thing.

tthere should be some sort of way to prevent unauthorised transfers honestly. Either when you want to pay with a POS machine a message shoud be sent to you requesting authorization before payment can be done on a POS machine. How this thief bypassed OTP authorization to remove money from my account beats my imagination.

Please be careful everyone.

From a pained member. embarassed

If the fraud was done on POS, its easy to trace the merchant it was allocated to. The banks know the company name and address of all those approved for POS terminals. Then, the company have a bank account tied to the POS.

Unless bank staffs are involved in the fraud, there's no good reason it should take more than few minutes or hours to track such thieves after implementation of the BVN in Nigeria. Hold your bank responsible for the loss.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Riddler32: 5:09pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:
@pyyxaro on the contrary I wasnt following BBN AT ALL.

@rheether well, from what i gathered my account was used to buy stuffs online from a merchant so yes it would go into the account from the merchant but the criminal would have taken the items paid for USIng my money already so the bank is trying to see if they can get a mailing address from the place in which items were bought. I just dont get why it has to take up to a week not to mention 45 Working days if necessary? Really down right now.

Pained victim, pele. The truth of the matter is that someone close to you, either a friend or colleague did this to you.

Same thing happened to a colleague of mine. The colleague having spent less than two months with us. On his way home, one of the Fridays, he got severally notifications on apple itunes yearly subscription and downloaded musics (someone that didnt own an apple product when he joined). To his utmost surprise, his atm and token was on him. To cut the story short, we finally found out who carried out the transaction, it was another colleague of us. Nonetheless, we all had a good laugh, shouted and are really careful with bank transactions in the office.

Do you give an office assistance your card and bank details to pay for food or items on your behalf?

Please how do you hotlist your card?

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Riddler32: 5:10pm On Apr 11, 2017
musicwriter:

If the fraud was done on POS, its easy to trace the merchant it was allocated to. The banks know the company name and address of all those approved for POS terminals. Then, the company have a bank account tied to the POS.

Unless, bank staffs are involved in the fraud, there's no good reason it should take more than few minutes or hours to track such thieves after implementation of the BVN in Nigeria. Hold your bank responsible for the loss.

Sorry to say, BVN is not really active and not what people think it is.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Odunharry(m): 5:11pm On Apr 11, 2017
daretodo:
Good day,

With the type of of narration you received for the transaction; such transaction is incomplete without the person using an account as to perfect it.

What you need to do:

- Write a mail/memo/or letter of complaint to your bank to help you with the aid of their POS dispute settlement office to assist in getting the banks detail of the beneficiary that the money was moved to. Then,

- Upon having that; Police will then serve as an interface between you and the other beneficiary Bank in getting the person nabbed for advance free fraud.

What to do to avert this next time:

-Do not share your ATM with third party; even without pin this type of transaction will fly successfully once they have access to PAN number.

- Guide your account number gently: When you go to bank to deposit money learn to mask your account number. e.g 110***8825 on banks register cos guys do goes there to peep customer details.

- In case you use internet/mobile banking; made it an habit to change your password at interval.

Don't for any reason write down ur Pin too

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by blessingee: 5:12pm On Apr 11, 2017
rheether:

It's a pity. That money is so insignificant for the bank to go through the worries of recovering it for you. Move on and be smarter.

Did i just see move on? 80k is like some people's 6 month salary o
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by musicwriter(m): 5:12pm On Apr 11, 2017
Riddler32:

Sorry to say, BVN is not really active and not what people think it is.

That's because the banks have no idea how to use it to solve this type of situation. The BVN database is all the banks and police need to know where all your money is, as long as its in a Nigerian bank.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Riddler32: 5:13pm On Apr 11, 2017
luwathobi:
Jesuuuuuuui

@OlajumokeBread, you must have been a victim of fraud or a constant client on cash back things. Looking at you from a distance.

Someone give @OlajumokeBread some tits to suck on.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Hisgrace1980: 5:13pm On Apr 11, 2017
[quote author=slex post=55475184]

Boss, even at the bank they confirmed it wasnt used on an ATM.

You know when you use an Atm the alert u get will wite ATm-name of vendor LA STan9999********

But the alert i got was POS/web Service- -name of vendor LA STan9999********

@Jabioro thank you bro,i am kanking gtb on twitter like every hour No mater I will pursue this to the end.

@ipobarecrimi Where the water to take the medicine as money no de to buy purewater .lol[/quote

Someone must have had access to your card details.
Next time, safe guard your not just your Pin but card too. It's a pity shaaa

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Zenithpeak(m): 5:13pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:
Greetings everyone. I feel so bad , sad and traumatised right now because of how someone just decided to wake up one day and do evil to me. My essence of writing this is to use Nairaland as a means of educating more people on the dangers you may face when your ATM card has been compromised.

Yesterday after finishing up work for the day i did my usual closing time ritual; i shut my system down, switched off the AC and the sockets then started my journey and this was already 6-01pm. When i reached Chevron round about at exactly 6-37pm I heard the usual notification tone on my phone that i had received a message. I ignored after 2 mins i heard another then i removed the phone from my pocket and checked lo and behold what did i see?N20k debit alert from GTB twice.

I was like WHAT!!! when did i initiate these transactions and while still looking at the messages surprised another N20k debit alert came in after a few seconds yet another N20k totalling N80,000 naira. Like a man possessed I quickly Hotlisted my Account by sending an sms with the Hotlist format and after that i received a message that my Account has been hotlisted from GTB but it was already too late. The balance left after the N80k taken was just N7k.

My people , the feeling of seeing your money leaving your account in ral time is a very crazy experience I felt so helpless. Anyways I have gone to a GTB Branch and complained but they are telling me it can take a week to 3 months for investigations to be concluded. Me i want my money refunded and i dont even get why it has to take so long (45 days max) to resolve that issue. Thank God i have 2 other accounts but this has got me thinking that our banks need to protect s their clients more.

The thief used a POS/Web transfer channel to remove the money why?because he knows if he uses an ATM his face will be captured by CCTV or the camera on the machine meaning No be today him de do this kain thing.

tthere should be some sort of way to prevent unauthorised transfers honestly. Either when you want to pay with a POS machine a message shoud be sent to you requesting authorization before payment can be done on a POS machine. How this thief bypassed OTP authorization to remove money from my account beats my imagination.

I'm so sorry for your loss bro and I pray the Lord will restore you and bless you the more.

And to anyone that is going through one hard time or the other, the Lord will meet you at very point of your need in JESUS Name.

5 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by DONSMITH123(m): 5:14pm On Apr 11, 2017
midastouch:

Not necessarily. My colleague bought PHCN recharge from one of the online recharge selling websites, and within 20 minutes, her Card details were used online elsewhere for 3 different transactions on websites different from the original website. A lot of criminals are getting better at this stuff.

You are coming down to my point now. Getting stuff online required card details. Your card pan number, password and WC number which is the 3 digit number at back of your card.

Believe me bro, who ever lay hand on those three stuff don't really need your physical card to have access to your account.

In as much as online transaction is sweet and good, at times we need to be careful of how we go about it.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Riddler32: 5:15pm On Apr 11, 2017
musicwriter:

That's because the banks have no idea how to use it to solve this type of situation. The BVN database is all the banks and police need to know where all your money is, as long as its in a Nigerian bank.

Not really. i stand to disagree with you because no verification was carried out during the activity. what special security check was done?
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Equal2DeTask(m): 5:15pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:
The balance left after the N80k taken was just N7k.

Sorry brah embarassed

Please send me the remaining N7k biko... cry

3 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by OlajumokeBread(f): 5:15pm On Apr 11, 2017
Riddler32:

@OlajumokeBread, you must have been a victim of fraud or a constant client on cash back things. Looking at you from a distance.

Someone give @OlajumokeBread some tits to suck on.

You still live in Ogun state
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Hisgrace1980: 5:16pm On Apr 11, 2017
[quote author=slex post=55475184]

Boss, even at the bank they confirmed it wasnt used on an ATM.

You know when you use an Atm the alert u get will wite ATm-name of vendor LA STan9999********

But the alert i got was POS/web Service- -name of vendor LA STan9999********

@Jabioro thank you bro,i am kanking gtb on twitter like every hour No mater I will pursue this to the end.

@ipobarecrimi Where the water to take the medicine as money no de to buy purewater .lol[/quote

[i]Someone must have had access to your card details.
Next time, safe guard your not just your Pin but card too. It's a pity shaaa

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by ekems2017(f): 5:17pm On Apr 11, 2017
That means someone had acess to his Atm card

orbgoblin:
If it was used to buy goods online, no otp is required. Just the card number and Security @ the back. You don't even need to enter ur card pin.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by SalamRushdie: 5:20pm On Apr 11, 2017
rheether:

It's a pity. That money is so insignificant for the bank to go through the worries of recovering it for you. Move on and be smarter.

If uts so insignificant then they should refund him quietly, if it was so insignificant why did they accept it as deposit? No money id insignigicant to a bank take it from me
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by linearity: 5:21pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:

@rheether well, from what i gathered my account was used to buy stuffs online from a merchant so yes it would go into the account from the merchant but the criminal would have taken the items paid for USIng my money already so the bank is trying to see if they can get a mailing address from the place in which items were bought. I just dont get why it has to take up to a week not to mention 45 Working days if necessary? Really down right now.

The merchant or website where the items were bought must be complacent.

You indicated that, they made 4 withdrawal/transactions of N20k each, it is very rare and near impossible to buy any item and pay a round figure e.g. N20k. Even if the item is sold for a round figure, what about shipping, VAT, etc?

My guess is, the merchant keyed in N20k into his/her POS and used your cloned card to collect the money without delivering any goods or listed some fathom item online for N20k and complete the transaction with your compromised card info.

Start by googling or investigating the merchant name on the alert, you might be able to unveil their identity and contacts...if you don't mind police wahala, filing a complaint after you might have done your research might help.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Liftme(f): 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
slex:

your GTB physical card is not needed to consummate transaction online, trust me. Just the 16 digits PAN ,expiration date and CVVat the back of the card. One of the poor services of GTB, its a MasterCard, yet you will not be prompted to answer MasterCard secure code questions online before making purchase. Sorry ooo, but trust me that cash is gone based on my past experience.... Request for a new card and keep it safe, or openbac with a bank that uses OTP and MasterCard securecode

2 Likes

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by orbgoblin: 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
Yes someone definitely had access to his card and probably wrote down the details or he might have been a victim of phishing where a fraudster sends a fake email pretending to be a reputable company or pretending to be his bank asking him to verify his account by entering card details and other bits of information
ekems2017:
That means someone had acess to his Atm card

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by sekem: 5:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
dingbang:
I can't find any scam in there.. Admit you were careless in revealing your details to somebody.. You must have given someone ur pin in the past..

For the record, I still know my former boss's atm card pin since she always gave me to withdraw money for her . although I am not working for her anymore..

So.. Now tell me . if I were smart back den, all I simply would have done was to copy out her ATM card number and _cvv number.. .. Voila. .

Efenized grin

Hmmm...

I think what you really meant to say was "if I were crooked back then..."

Now, considering the fact that you even think copying out the ATM card number and _CVV of someone who trusted you—for reasons best known to you—is actually a SMART move, I think you have been CROOKED the whole time.

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by onatisi(m): 5:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
ekems2017:
naija pos doesnt send otp for pos transactions. I was shocked when I went to sweet sensation in abkt and I used their pos. No otp was sent. So it is most likely the same thing happened here. The truth is someone actually got hold of the victim pin .

1 Like

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by lubaabu: 5:25pm On Apr 11, 2017
My friend kindly forward your complaint to cpd@cbn.gov.ng i will assist you

Thanks.

slex:

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by Jace234(m): 5:26pm On Apr 11, 2017
In 2012, i went to block my Atm card and return the card to the bank after so many cases of atm scam but the customer care that attended to me said i don't have anything to worry about as long as i don't indulge in all the online rubbish going around on the internet. I took his advice and my account has never been better. I mean, how can your account be the same after paga, interswitch, and all this online payment platforms request for ur card number before they would facilitate ur payments....Sorry my brother, be more careful with ur account details.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by linearity: 5:26pm On Apr 11, 2017
DONSMITH123:

You are coming down to my point now. Getting stuff online required card details. Your card pan number, password and WC number which is the 3 digit number at back of your card.

Believe me bro, who ever lay hand on those three stuff don't really need your physical card to have access to your account.

In as much as online transaction is sweet and good, at times we need to be careful of how we go about it.

The truth is online transactions are less secure than what you have lay out there.

The minimum you need is the credit number. The additional layer of securities like WC number, address, Visa or MC verification, etc is left at the discretion of the merchant.
Re: ATM Scam: The New Method by tunjilomo(m): 5:27pm On Apr 11, 2017
OlajumokeBread:

New scam ??

You're new to using ATM cards

Who doesn't know that you can go to a store, buy a $3 chewing gum and tell them to do a $8,000 cash back,
they would withdraw the $8,000 from the pos and hand it to you

You're obviously a new ATM card user

You can use someone's ATM card to buy anything without putting your pin

After the purchase, choose credit instead of debit and it won't require your pin
You are right bro OTP only works on debit.That is why cc fraud is rampant.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

80-Year-Old Saudi Man Marries 12-Year-Old Girl / Ikorodu Residents Mob Bimbo Cash, Steal Food Items Meant For Donations / Lady & Her Friends Storm The House Of Her Cheating Boyfriend To Destroy His Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.