Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,107 members, 7,814,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC (29436 Views)

Mystery Cows: Kogi Bans Beef Consumption In Lokoja / CPC Reveals What Nigerians Must Do Now Before Eating Beans / Opinion: Strong Reason Why I Indomie Is Unsafe For Consumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Islie: 7:09am On Apr 13, 2017
By Francis Arinze Iloani, Ojoma Akor (Abuja) & Mohammed Shosanya (Lagos)

The Consumer Protection Council (CPC) said Mirinda and Lucozade soft drinks are unsafe for Nigerian consumers.

The council said both beverages contained benzoic acid level above the limit approved by the Nigerian Industrial Standard (NIS).

The Council said in a statement obtained by Daily Trust yesterday in Abuja that while the NIS limit for benzoic acid is 250mg/Kg, when combined with Vitamin C and 300mg/Kg without Vitamin C, test revealed that Mirinda, a product of 7UP Bottling Company, contained benzoic acid ranging between 0.56mg/L to 330.9mg/L.

It said Lucozade, formerly produced by Glaxo SmithKline, contained the acid between 2.26mg/L to 323.53mg/L.

The two companies were however not available for comments yesterday.

The council said the test was conducted at the Sheda Science and Technology Complex (SHESTCO), a laboratory under the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology.

The council said it obtained 65 samples of soft drinks from the open market in eight locations within the six geopolitical zones of Nigeria, made up of Fanta Orange, Sprite, Mirinda and Lucozade.

“The Council also observed from the results that there were isolated cases of Mirinda and Lucozade with Benzoic Acid levels of 330.9mg/L and 323.53mg/L respectively, which are above the NIS limit,” the Director General of CPC, Mrs Dupe Atoki, said.

The Council further said the test found that benzoic acid levels in Fanta Orange ranged from 5.09mg/L to 197.0mg/L while that of Sprite ranged from 2.82mg/L to 239.0mg/L, indicating that both soft drinks were safe for Nigerian consumers as they contained benzoic acid within the limit approved by the NIS.

Atoki said NAFDAC and SON have been informed of the investigation and has recommended regulatory action and review of the “benzoic acid limits in soft drinks as the current standard, which has been in existence since 2008 is overdue for review.”

Effects of excess benzoic acid on the human system

Head Dietetics Department at the National Hospital, Abuja, Mrs Sarah Abagi said excess benzoic acid has negative effects on the skin, the nervous system and the skeletal system and bones.

She said benzoic acid should not be more than the approved limit or in large quantities in food and drinks especially carbonated drinks because of these effects and the diseases it cause, adding that it was used as an emulsifier and in body creams.

Asked the approved limit, she said deciding the approved limit for each country or area is usually done by experts like, food scientists and food technologists, biochemists and process engineers under the purview of regulatory organizations like National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).

Health experts also say that benzoic acids may react with ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) in some soft drinks, forming small quantities of benzene, which causes cancer and other ailments.

Some studies have also linked benzene with bone marrow failure, acute leukemia and aplastic anemia.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/mirinda-lucozade-unsafe-for-consumption--cpc/193352.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 13, 2017
Na wa
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by newyorks(m): 7:17am On Apr 13, 2017
am scared of nigeria's food & drug rugulatory system.in developed countries proper review and observation for a minimum of 20 to 25 years.

13 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by mustmust(m): 7:23am On Apr 13, 2017
So the sprite and Fanta wey we thought is the enemy is not the real enemy Miranda and locozade is

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Oliviaxx(f): 7:36am On Apr 13, 2017
and they are just realizing this after all these years?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by maysimsimple(m): 9:12am On Apr 13, 2017
I tired for every of our system in this country..

Oliviaxx:
and they are just realizing this after all these years?

2 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by snezBaba: 10:26am On Apr 13, 2017
So People still drink soft drinks in this recession, The Lord is good Sha cry
The council said it obtained 65 samples of soft drinks from the open market in eight locations within the six geopolitical zonesof Nigeria, made up of Fanta Orange, Sprite, Mirinda and Lucozade.
Best way to test those unsafe chemicals sold to Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by osumak2: 10:26am On Apr 13, 2017
lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Acidosis(m): 10:26am On Apr 13, 2017
I'm not surprised. 90% of sachet and bottle water in this country are hazardous, yet the manufacturers get approval from Nafdac.

28 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by theimmortals(m): 10:27am On Apr 13, 2017
Lacasara!!!!!!! All the way..... My best companion on the high way.
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Erngie(f): 10:27am On Apr 13, 2017
The best thing is to stay away from all these empty calorie sugar-filled sodas.They are harmful

25 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Nobody: 10:27am On Apr 13, 2017
Stop taking soft drinks, una no go hear!

make your natural fruit juice at home and drink! much more healthier and tasty.

or just drink water.

34 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by LastSurvivor11: 10:27am On Apr 13, 2017
And I took one with gin yester night

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by datopaper(m): 10:27am On Apr 13, 2017
But why? Don't kill us finish federal government.

I recommend only water for everybody.

Is it good like that?

1 Like

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by psychologist(m): 10:27am On Apr 13, 2017
They should just shut up already.
Once the said brand marketers are not settling very them well, they come up with one theory and be making noise upndown.....
If the hardship in this country cannot ki us bro nothing can

10 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by buffalowings: 10:27am On Apr 13, 2017
why God
why

akunyili of blessed memory

who da f..uck is in nafdac now sef

bunch of incompetent retards all of them

5 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by DeeCherry(f): 10:27am On Apr 13, 2017
And I still took one chilled bottle of mirinda yesterday.
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Oluwasaeon(m): 10:27am On Apr 13, 2017
TeamBeer
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Erngie(f): 10:28am On Apr 13, 2017
theimmortals:
Lacasara!!!!!!!
That one is poison on its own.

12 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by charleff512(m): 10:28am On Apr 13, 2017
Make I go buy Lucozade boost

1 Like

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by SalamRushdie: 10:28am On Apr 13, 2017
This all to distract consumers from the sprite and fanta issue after millions of naira have exchanged hands

4 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Nickizoe(f): 10:28am On Apr 13, 2017
Every soft drink made in Nigeria is unsafe.. buh what can we do...God has been protecting our health....Is well...Lacasera is even worst above all
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by smartty68(m): 10:28am On Apr 13, 2017
Acidosis:
I'm not surprised. 99.9 of sachet and bottle water in this country are hazardous, yet the manufacturers get approval from Nafdac.

This organizations are not licensed at such the NAFDAC numbers are fake. If you doubt me, ask satchet water manufacturers

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by chrislilfee(m): 10:28am On Apr 13, 2017
To design your web like my signature, contact me
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by kelvee(m): 10:28am On Apr 13, 2017
Ah don't even gbadun carbonated drinks...
Just gimme distilled water.. *otan *
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Goldenheart(m): 10:28am On Apr 13, 2017
Who are these goats
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Drazeen(m): 10:28am On Apr 13, 2017
embarassed
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by toluine56(m): 10:29am On Apr 13, 2017
Just when you think you've seen it all.
First Fanta, then Mirinda and lucozade.

Theres no way one wont regret being a Nigerian. The country is just too backward and mediocre for my liking.

How can an abnormality be detected and the excuse is that they didn't know it'll be imported to the UK. What the hell is wrong with NAFDAC, CPC and other leaders in charge? Why are people not going to jail for crimes commited? Why are companies not being adequately punished commensurate with the rules contravened?

How can the world be going digital and technological, but we want to produce pencils in 2018!!!. What happened to vision 2020?

I want to see more innovations like what andela, sesewa and co are doing. Where did this country get it wrong for God's sake?

Why will youths not wan to travel out the country by every possible means. Check out the travel section and see for yourself. Nothing is happening right in this country.

I'm not even thinking of voting by 2019 except something significant changes. We need a new revolution in this country. Damn APC, PDP and the others. Damn them all.

9 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by TINALETC3(f): 10:29am On Apr 13, 2017
undecided
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by Nukilia: 10:29am On Apr 13, 2017
All the heads of food monitoring agencies must be sacked and tried for complicity in murdering Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by donklint86: 10:29am On Apr 13, 2017
Nawao
Re: Mirinda, Lucozade Unsafe For Consumption – CPC by DONSMITH123(m): 10:29am On Apr 13, 2017
i better not take any drink in naija again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FCCPC Shuts Chinese Restaurant Over ‘Discrimination’ / Prices Of Foodstuffs In Nigeria By Foodstuff Store (may 2022) / The World's Most Expensive Wedding Cake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.