Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? (1711 Views)

Massive Fraud In Nigeria N117billion Rice Import Quota Scheme - Premuim Times / Efe Ambrose Appointed As Spokesperson Of Super Eagles / Likely Composition Of General Buhari's Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Mekusxyz: 2:19am On Jan 01, 2010
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/31/10.html

Amodu trims down Super Eagles squad to 24

Jets out to Durban without home-based players

From Ezeocha Nzeh, Abuja
SUPER Eagles coach, Shaibu Amodu, yesterday drooped nine players from the 32-man listed billed to begin training in Durban, South Africa tomorrow for the Angola 2010 African Nations Cup.

advertisement

Amodu did not give any explanation for dropping the players even before Super Eagles' first training session, but a source in the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) told The Guardian that the coach considered the short time the team had before its first match against Egypt in whittling down the number of players.

Among the players dropped are the three home-based stars included in the first list. They are goalkeeper Greg Etafia, Chibuzor Okonkwo and Ikechukwu Ibenegbu.

Also dropped are Europe-based defenders Dele Adeleye and Adefemi Olubayo, midfielder Femi Ajilore, striker Joseph Akpala and South Africa-based goalkeeper, Greg Etafia.

In the squad billed for Durban are goalkeepers Vincent Enyeama, Bamidele Aiyenugba, and Austin Ejide.

Deputy captain, Joseph Yobo, is among the defenders in the list, which also has Danny Shittu, Obinna Nwaneri, Taye Taiwo, Elderson Echiejile, Yusuf Mohammed, Chidi Odiah, and Onyekachi Apam.

The midfielders are Skipper Nwankwo Kanu, Mikel Obi, Dickson Etuhu, Sani Kaita, Yusuf Ayila, Oluwaseyi Olofinjana and Kalu Uche, while the strikers are Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Osaze Odemwingie, Michael Eneramo, Obinna Nsofor, Obafemi Martins, and Chinedu Obasi.

One of the players will be dropped after the training camp in Durban, before the team leaves for Angola on January 10.

The source disclosed that Amodu decided to trim the squad after meeting with the NFF technical committee as he wants to beat the CAF January 1 deadline for submission of the team list.

There are speculations that one of midfielders Sani Kaita, Yusuf Ayila and striker Chinedu Ogbuke would be dropped before the submission of the final list to CAF.

The source also disclosed that Obafemi Martins, who had a surgery recently might be dropped if he failed a late fitness test in Durban, in which case the aforementioned players would retain their position in the team.

The team and its officials yesterday departed the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja for the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos, where it expected to connect a flight to Durban, South Africa last night.

NFF spokesman, Ademola Olajire, revealed that Wolfsburg of Germany striker, Obafemi Martins and Russia-based Osaze Odemwingie, would team up with the rest of the team in Lagos, while the England-based players, as well as Israel-based duo of Vincent Enyeama and Dele Aiyenugba were permitted to join the team at its Zimbali Lodge Hotel, Durban on January 2 because of club engagements.

"Arrangement has been concluded for the teams departure via a South African airline for Durban, South Africa, where the technical crew will battle to make its final selections for the Angola 2010 Nations Cup," stated Olajire.

He disclosed that the NFF had sent an advance team to Durban to work with the Nigerian embassy in South Africa, which is putting arrangements for the team's arrival.

The Super Eagles, which is grouped alongside defending champions, Egypt, Mozambique and Benin Republic, will play its first match on January 12 against Egypt.

The Team list
Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama, Bamidele Aiyenugba, Austin Ejide;

Defenders: Joseph Yobo, Danny Shittu, Obinna Nwaneri, Taye Taiwo, Elderson Echiejile, Yusuf Mohammed, Chidi Odiah, Onyekachi Apam;

Midfielders: Nwankwo Kanu, Mikel Obi, Dickson Etuhu, Sani Kaita, Yusuf Ayila, Oluwaseyi Olofinjana, Kalu Uche;

Strikers: Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Osaze Odemwingie, Michael Eneramo, Obinna Nsofor, Obafemi Martins, Chinedu Obasi.
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Mekusxyz: 2:22am On Jan 01, 2010
11 out of 24 is roughly 46% coming from Igbo people only. Why is this so? Why is the usual federal character syndrome in place of merit not counting here?
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by SEFAGO(m): 2:40am On Jan 01, 2010
did u count odemwingie as igbo?
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Mekusxyz: 2:45am On Jan 01, 2010
No
Igbos in the team list:
Goalkeepers: Austin Ejide;

Defenders: Obinna Nwaneri, Elderson Echiejile, Chidi Odiah, Onyekachi Apam;

Midfielders: Nwankwo Kanu, Mikel Obi, Dickson Etuhu, Kalu Uche;

Strikers: Obinna Nsofor, Chinedu Obasi.
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by SEFAGO(m): 2:55am On Jan 01, 2010
Kai Kanu still dey play shocked shocked shocked

never heard of the rest
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Arkison: 2:58am On Jan 01, 2010
Mekusxyz:

11 out of 24 is roughly 46% coming from Igbo people only. Why is this so? Why is the usual federal character syndrome in place of merit not counting here?

because this one na for suffer head. Playing for super eagles is not the in thing. Playing in the Aso Rock is the in thing
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by hasyak(m): 3:00am On Jan 01, 2010
quota system was never used in selections, but some just cant believe a northerner can make d list base on merit
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by 9ijaprince(m): 3:04am On Jan 01, 2010
Una dey crase. Why bringing sports issue to politics? Do you want the coach to sacrifice our best players on the alter of federal character? Okay give me names of three abokis who play professional soccer in europe that we can use to substitute players like: mikel,kanu and osaze.
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Mekusxyz: 3:16am On Jan 01, 2010
Sefago:

Never heard of Mikel Obi and the rest of the pack?

Means you are a NERD
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Ibime(m): 4:02am On Jan 01, 2010
This must be a joke!

Can someone answer the following questions:

(1.) Why should Obasi be on standby for Martins. So if Martins recovers from injury, Obasi will be out of the squad?  shocked undecided Shouldnt Eneramo be on standby instead? Only a doofus like Amodu would prefer Eneramo to Obasi.

(2.) Is Nnwaneri better than Adeleye? So why is Adeleye not in the squad?

(3.) Why is Ajilore not in the squad?

(4.) In continuation of (3.), we already have enough DM's with Keita and Ayila, so what is Olofinjana doing in the squad in place of Akilore?

(5.) Why is Kalu Uche still in the squad?

Left to me, I would draw the curtain on the Super-Eagles careers of Kanu and Aiyegbeni. I dont know what them quadragenarians are still looking for in the SE.
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by SEFAGO(m): 4:06am On Jan 01, 2010
we are getting ra.ped in the world cup as usual.
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Mekusxyz: 4:07am On Jan 01, 2010
Actually the glorious days of Nigerian soccer are over. How I wish those days will be back.
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by toshmann(m): 4:31am On Jan 01, 2010
YOU WISH grin

na first round we go take comot again. i thought the WC will be in south africa undecided
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Ikengawo: 4:39am On Jan 01, 2010
LMAO at this new Igbo becomrich

i like it! lol

he's right too, if nigerian society gave space for merit igbos would surpass all in overwhelming leaps and bounds, as they were doing before biafra which led to biafra.

but it's not.

i also think igbos are probably 40% of the nigerian population or close, but their are undercounted in the census and hausa over counted for oil sake.
the fact that everyone you bump into in nigerian cities is igbo, outside nigeria is igbo and so forth paints an clearer picture. there's also a larger pop density and concentration of cities in the east then anywhere else so maybe the soccer team is a more accurate picture of nigeria's population
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by SEFAGO(m): 4:50am On Jan 01, 2010
[b]i also think igbos are probably 40% of the nigerian population or close, but their are undercounted in the census and hausa over counted for oil sake.
the fact that everyone you bump into in nigerian cities is igbo, outside nigeria is igbo and so forth paints an clearer picture. [/b]there's also a larger pop density and concentration of cities in the east then anywhere else so maybe the soccer team is a more accurate picture of nigeria's population

Maybe its because you are , igbo grin I think someone who lives in Kano thinks hausas are 50% of Nigeria's population.
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Nobody: 4:53am On Jan 01, 2010
"
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by DrKitaun(m): 5:24am On Jan 01, 2010
Ibime:

This must be a joke!

Can someone answer the following questions:

(1.) Why should Obasi be on standby for Martins. So if Martins recovers from injury, Obasi will be out of the squad? shocked undecided Shouldnt Eneramo be on standby instead? Only a doofus like Amodu would prefer Eneramo to Obasi.

(2.) Is Nnwaneri better than Adeleye? So why is Adeleye not in the squad?

(3.) Why is Ajilore not in the squad?

(4.) In continuation of (3.), we already have enough DM's with Keita and Ayila, so what is Olofinjana doing in the squad in place of Akilore?

(5.) Why is Kalu Uche still in the squad?

Left to me, I would draw the curtain on the Super-Eagles careers of Kanu and Aiyegbeni. I dont know what them quadragenarians are still looking for in the SE.

I will try and answer ur questions as un-sentimentally as possible . . .

* Obasi messed up badly the last couple of matches he played . . .plus has he got his mojo on in his club being a 1 hit wonder might not gurantee ur place in a national team replete with an array of established names . . .

* Eneramo might be heavy but for a larger part he is fulfilling the part of : knowing more of African opponents being based himself on African soil . . .2) he disturbs defenders a lot and his game play is not entirely bad for a striker in build-ups

* I love Adeleye, I want him there, but my dear brother we are faced with SPORTS POLITICS AT ITS HIGHEST POINT . . .Siasia and Amodu arent the best of friends, Adeleye and Adebayo Olufemi are Siasia boys so if Amodu decides not to pick them, we shouldnt be too surprised . . .Onigbinde picked Ogbeche based on a 'sangalo' against Scotland abi na Ireland. . .LOL grin

* I cant understand why Ajilore isnt in that squad . . .why is Etuhu there Ayila ? Kaita

Its obvious Olofinjana is our main man for the jersey no 4 position whether anybody likes it or not, so why play politics with the selection of our team ?

do u really think any coach in the Naija setup can bench Olofinjana u are having a big laff if u dont know that the reason why Seyi and Yakubu would almost always make the 1st team of Nigeria is that THEY ARE ALWAYS THE BEST IN TRAINING SESSIONS !!!

copy that ?
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:00am On Jan 01, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Compare that to the USA 94 squad below where 13 out of 22 players were Igbos. The squad went ahead to do us proud.

It is quite obvious that Ndigbo excel above the others when any thing is done based on merit;

1 Peter RUFAI

2 Augustine EGUAVOEN

3 Ben IROHA

4 Stephen KESHI

5 Uche OKECHUKWU

6 Chidi NWANU

7 Finidi GEORGE

8 Thompson OLIHA

9 Rasheed YEKINI

10 Jay Jay OKOCHA

11 Emmanuel AMUNIKE

12 Samson SIASIA

13 Emeka EZEUGO

14 Daniel AMOKACHI

15 Sunday OLISEH

16 Alloy AGU

17 Victor IKPEBA

18 Efan EKOKU

19 Michael EMENALO

20 Uche OKAFOR

21 Mutiu ADEPOJU

22 Wilfred AGBONAVBARE
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by asha80(m): 9:03am On Jan 01, 2010
This is getting sickening.
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:42am On Jan 01, 2010
asha 80:

This is getting sickening.

I agree with you but haven't u noticed that the number of Igbo bashing threads and posts have reduced drastically since Mekus was unleashed on NL? grin grin

Onye ndi iro gbara gburu gburu n'eche ndu ya nche mgbe n'ile! wink
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by asha80(m): 10:02am On Jan 01, 2010
Sunny_bobo:

I agree with you but haven't u noticed that the number of Igbo bashing threads and posts have reduced drastically since Mekus was unleashed on NL? grin grin

Onye ndi iro gbara gburu gburu n'eche ndu ya nche mgbe n'ile! wink

The more reason why i think we should calm down now.

however this guy needs some knock on the head

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-374031.0.html
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by KnowAll(m): 8:11pm On Jan 01, 2010
They are all Nigerians and we should be proud of them. Mikel Obi grew up in Jos, he is as good as being an Igbo man as he is a jos boy. He can claim both places and the citizens of both areas can celebrate him with pride and joy. Since Igbo and Jos are both in Nigeria we should all celebrate such talent at our disposal no matter where we come from in Nigeria.

Afterall Agbonlahon of Aston Villa chose to play for England ignoring a Nigerian call up. Would any Edo man be happy at his refusal hell no. So we should embrace everyone of those Nigerians no matter where they came from as true patriots and worthy ambassardors.
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by AndreUweh(m): 8:26pm On Jan 01, 2010
Michael Eneramo is actually Igbo. If correctly spelt, it is Enerenmuo.
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by SEFAGO(m): 8:30pm On Jan 01, 2010
I agree with you but haven't u noticed that the number of Igbo bashing threads and posts have reduced drastically since Mekus was unleashed on NL? Grin Grin

Onye ndi iro gbara gburu gburu n'eche ndu ya nche mgbe n'ile!

The igbo bashing thread have reduced because the igbo bashers left. When they come back mekusxxx will sabi levels.

Anyways let me interpret this data:

Because the yorubas are running nigerian banks and the hausa are herding cattle, hence the large number of igbo in soccer.  grin
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by Mekusxyz: 8:57pm On Jan 01, 2010
SEFAGO:

The igbo bashing thread have reduced because the igbo bashers left. When they come back mekusxxx will sabi levels.

Anyways let me interpret this data:

Because the yorubas are ruining nigerian banks and the hausa are herding cattle, hence the large number of igbo in soccer.  grin
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by honeric01(m): 9:20pm On Jan 01, 2010
abeg make una comot politics for our football o, na legs dem dey take play oo, nobi the ethnic group oo, every tribes for naija get the same 2 legs abi anyone get pass 2 legs?
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by hasyak(m): 10:48pm On Jan 01, 2010
KnowAll:

They are all Nigerians and we should be proud of them. Mikel Obi grew up in Jos, he is as good as being an Igbo man as he is a jos boy. He can claim both places and the citizens of both areas can celebrate him with pride and joy. Since Igbo and Jos are both in Nigeria we should all celebrate such talent at our disposal no matter where we come from in Nigeria.

Afterall Agbonlahon of Aston Villa chose to play for England ignoring a Nigerian call up. Would any Edo man be happy at his refusal hell no. So we should embrace everyone of those Nigerians no matter where they came from as true patriots and worthy ambassardors.

+4
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by AndreUweh(m): 11:04pm On Jan 01, 2010
My starting line up against Egypt on jan 12.
ENYEAMA
CHIDI ODIA, O.APAM JOSEPH YOBO T.TAIWO
A.YUSUF, S.OLOFINJANA, MIKEL OBI
OSAZE ODENWIGIE, Y.AIGBENI, OBINNA NSOFOR.
4:3:3
Re: The Politics Of Super Eagles Composition: Quota System Does Not Apply? by AfroCynic: 11:11pm On Jan 01, 2010
This thread is ridiculous, I could not give a damn if the entire team is Igbo, I just need these players to rep the green and white in a deserving manner. I do not want to be embarrassed that is all. One Nigeria, okay?

(1) (Reply)

Nine Indices That Determine Political Success Or Failure In Nigeria / Ogun State Speaker Tunji Egbetokun Impeached / Becomrich, What Happened To ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.