Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,528 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 (2157 Views)

The Ten Best Ps3 Games Of All Time / 25 Most Visually Appealing Games Of 2013 / Top 10 Video Games Of 2009 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 9:36am On Jan 01, 2010
1.Red Faction Guerrilla (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)

Red Faction Guerrilla was praised for its open world and fully destructible structures. Watching things crumble was pretty much all this game did for me. I really disliked the floaty feel when controlling the vehicles more than anything. Vehicles were required to get around the large Martian landscape but they were too cumbersome for me to enjoy. The enemies in Guerrilla were unmerciful as well. My typical scenario involved seeing a structure I wanted to destroy and clearing out all the enemies around it. As soon as I tried to smash the building to bits, more enemies would spawn from thin air and interrupt the little fun I was having. Even on easy difficulty I couldn’t enjoy this game.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 9:36am On Jan 01, 2010
2.Dragon Age: Origins (Xbox 360, PC, PS3)

I believe one of the main reasons I didn’t enjoy Dragon Age: Origins is because I played it on a console. I understand the importance of a top down strategic viewpoint this game is meant to be played with, but the console version didn’t have this feature. I couldn’t get past the dated graphics either. After playing Mass Effect, which is another BioWare game, it’s hard to accept visuals that resemble that of an MMO. I also felt overwhelmed by the amount of equipment and customization early on. I just couldn’t shake the feeling that I was playing the game wrong. Again I understand these reasons may be what make Dragon Age: Origins a great game, but it’s not my style.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 9:37am On Jan 01, 2010
3.Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360, PC)

My reason for not caring for Left for Dead 2 is simple. I don’t see L4D2 as a full-blown sequel but rather a $60 expansion. A game such as this depends on gameplay variety alone because there is no story to speak of. Unfortunately the gameplay hasn’t changed much from the original L4D. Sure. there are some melee weapons, new characters and enemies, but this isn’t something modders couldn’t have done (and probably have). At it’s core L4D2 is basically like a traveling circus. It has the same acts in a different location.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 9:37am On Jan 01, 2010
4.Mega Man 9 (PSN, XBLA)

Mega Man has one of the most dedicated followings in gaming history. It was a long time since a true Mega Man sequel was made before Capcom announced Mega Man 9. The problem I had with this game was the over reliance on nostalgia. People were so starved for a true Mega Man title that no one seemed to care they were playing a 20-year-old game in every sense of the term. After playing and being impressed with Capcom’s Bionic Commando: Rearmed remake, I couldn’t accept why something similar couldn’t be done with Mega Man 9. If the graphics were redone and the music refined, Mega Man 9 would have been a game I enjoyed. Now it seems Mega Man 10 will follow the same dated pattern as its predecessors.
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled (XBLA, PSN)

This game was another victim of the nostalgia virus. If the original game provided so many great memories then logically an updated version should be even better. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case with Re-Shelled. Maybe we’ve been so spoiled with additional game types and unlockables that madeRe-Shelled feel very basic. 2009 was not the year to completely rekindle my childhood love of the turtles.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 9:42am On Jan 01, 2010
6. Halo. ODST
7. Resident Evil 5
8. Prototype
9. Arma II
10. FEAR 2
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by texazzpete(m): 1:56pm On Jan 02, 2010
Kosovo
I don't think you're the writer of this piece. In fact, i KNOW you aren't. So why not quote the source? Is it because you know the writer himself is utterly full of crap?

Resident Evil 5, Red FAction 2, Dragon Age and Halo: ODST were among the higher rated games of 2009. So what flavor of crack is this writer on?

You need to stop regurgitating everything you see of any crappy blog here. At least with a title like 'ten surprisingly disappointing games of 2009', it should really be your opinions contained in the article.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 7:35pm On Jan 02, 2010
texazzpete:

Kosovo
I don't think you're the writer of this piece. In fact, i KNOW you aren't. So why not quote the source? Is it because you know the writer himself is utterly full of crap?

Resident Evil 5, Red FAction 2, Dragon Age and Halo: ODST were among the higher rated games of 2009. So what flavor of crack is this writer on?

You need to stop regurgitating everything you see of any crappy blog here. At least with a title like 'ten surprisingly disappointing games of 2009', it should really be your opinions contained in the article.
There is no one Direct source to it,
Resident Evil was total crap, and you honestly know why, grin Even the creator of the series , cant remember his name, said that Resident Evil has lost it way, I remember when i played RE3,- Nemesis, it was as nothing else, i ll pick that as my best survival/horror game ever,
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by texazzpete(m): 9:50pm On Jan 02, 2010
kosovo:

There is no one Direct source to it,
Resident Evil was total crap, and you honestly know why, grin Even the creator of the series , cant remember his name, said that Resident Evil has lost it way, I remember when i played RE3,- Nemesis, it was as nothing else, i ll pick that as my best survival/horror game ever,

lol
How about you comment on a game you've actually played, not decide based on the fellow's opinion?
Resident Evil 5 got pretty good reviews. It may do you some good to actually read some of those reviews and play the game.
This is 2010, try and rely on hard, empirical data!
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by texazzpete(m): 10:05pm On Jan 02, 2010
@Kosovo
Also, you do realize that RE 5 uses the same formula laid down in RE 4 - Which, incidentally, was made by the very same Shinji Mikami?

i grew tired of your inane statement about Shinji Mikami's thoughts on RE 5, so i searched for the actual quote

"I probably won't play it. I won't like it, because it's not going to be the game I would have made," said Mikami (who has left Capcom and currently resides at Platinum Games). "It'll just cause me stress if I play it. I think it could be fun for gamers to play it, but not for someone who has developed Resident Evil games." Mikami added that "If I see anything in Resident Evil 5 that isn't done well, I'll be angry,"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=202814

There you have it. Mikami saying he won't play it simply because it may not have been his vision. He goes on to state that it should be fun for gamers. So where do you get the idea that RE 5 was crap? also stop misquoting Shinji Mikami.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 6:25am On Jan 03, 2010
whats the difference btw what i said and what the guy siad,
           i know it's almost the same as RE4,  i finished RE4 in one day,  RE5,  i did not like it,  so i did not finish it,  but RE; Nemesis took a lot of my time and scared the hell out of me,  that was the only game that could scare me a little,  Horror films are my favourites,  but Hollywood has lost everything,  I wish i can play heavy rain,  but that's gona be a long wait,  angry

I probably won't play it. I won't like it, because it's not going to be the game I would have made,
grin

The same would happen to Metal Gear Solid; Rising,
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by Vacora(m): 11:25pm On Jan 03, 2010
For once, i have to agree with Kosovo shocked RE5 was bad in my opinion, my major grouse being the controls, visuals were good but by gawd the control system was awful . The creators said this was done intentionally to heighten tension during gameplay and it annoyed a hell lot of people angry

As for Halo ODST - I have to ask, Kosovo, being a PS3 fanboy and bearing in mind this game is an xbox 360 exclusive, have you actually played the game?
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 8:24am On Jan 04, 2010
As for Halo ODST - I have to ask, Kosovo, being a PS3 fanboy and bearing in mind this game is an xbox 360 exclusive, have you actually played the game?
  I have not dedicated time to it, I do not like FPS either, My friends who got the 360 complained bitterly, - short campaign, sub HD,   etc,  After failing to meet Gamers expectations and failing in metacritc, i think it deserves a spot there,
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by texazzpete(m): 10:23am On Jan 04, 2010
kosovo:

I have not dedicated time to it, I do not like FPS either, My friends who got the 360 complained bitterly, - short campaign, sub HD,   etc,  After failing to meet Gamers expectations and failing in metacritc, i think it deserves a spot there,

Stop trolling over a make believe friend grin

And ODST got 83 on Metacritic. That's a good score.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by Mavor: 12:54pm On Jan 04, 2010
F.E.A.R. 2?? ODST?? Walahi you dey mental!!!  angry You clearly copied this from somewhere. I can bet you haven't played half the games on this list.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by texazzpete(m): 1:59pm On Jan 04, 2010
Mavor:

F.E.A.R. 2?? ODST?? Walahi you dey mental!!! angry You clearly copied this from somewhere. I can bet you haven't played half the games on this list.

he hasn't played ANY of the games on this list.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by Skywalker5(m): 2:07pm On Jan 04, 2010
Any one her played call of duty modern warfare 2?

The story line is so short. i finished it with 3 days although thier is the campaign which does not make sense as the story line. any here played it or is there something i need to do cuz it says i completed 50% but the story line stopped there
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by Mavor: 4:10pm On Jan 04, 2010
I have Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on my 360 elite. It's an awesome game. Single-player campaign short. Like 6hrs. However the beauty of this game is in it's multipayer elements, which most Nigerians won't experience due to the lack of broadband gaming in this country
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2010
@texazzpete

And ODST got 83 on Metacritic. That's a good score.
   In today's Gaming Community, 83 is not a good score,  Uncharted 2 got 96 on Metacritic.
90 and above is considered good, not a DLC ODST, . I hope halo Reach Would be massive,
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by Mavor: 5:04pm On Jan 04, 2010
You call Halo 3: ODST a DLC? Guy you no know wetin you dey talk. A full game is now a DLC?? This just goes to show that you haven't played most of the games on this list. In your village primary sch, 83 na average score abi? na wa for you o guy.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by honeric01(m): 5:10pm On Jan 04, 2010
fifa 10
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 6:52pm On Jan 04, 2010
Mavor:

You call Halo 3: ODST a DLC? Guy you no know wetin you dey talk. A full game is now a DLC?? This just goes to show that you haven't played most of the games on this list. In your village primary sch, 83 na average score abi? na wa for you o guy.
  Is it better than a DLC, ?
A 6 hours campaing, you call that a full game? with mediocre story, picture and graphics,  shocked

Regarding 83, i said in today's Gaming community, Considering the name 'halo' it should have done better than that.
so don't misquote me, I have been actively following the gaming industry for over a decade, i sure know what i am talking about,  cheesy
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by Mavor: 7:44pm On Jan 04, 2010
Guy I no go follow you argue again cos you don't know what you're talking about. So a 6hr single campaign makes it a DLC?? lol. This is a first. So does that automatically qualify Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2(Game of the Year by most gaming sites & most gaming critics) as a DLC? Cos the single-player campaign was short, roughly 6 hrs. Na boyz like you na when start with PS2 go wan dey make mouth say dem sabi critique games. If say e easy, why you never make your own game?
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by Vacora(m): 8:46pm On Jan 04, 2010
FEAR 2 is a good game, i played the demo and i disagree with Kosovo on Halo ODST.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 6:24am On Jan 05, 2010
Mavor:

Guy I no go follow you argue again cos you don't know what you're talking about. So a 6hr single campaign makes it a DLC?? lol. This is a first. So does that automatically qualify Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2(Game of the Year by most gaming sites & most gaming critics) as a DLC? Cos the single-player campaign was short, roughly 6 hrs.
Funny how you accepted only the 6 hour camaign and ignored all the other aspects i mentioned that makes a Good game, you sure need alot of work before you would be taken seriously.

Na boyz like you na when start with PS2 go wan dey make mouth say dem sabi critique games. If say e easy, why you never make your own game?
I have played all games Humanity can make, Most people here are aware of that, i wonder where such a thoughts as yours would have emerge from,
You honestly need to take some time out, you need rest, cheesy
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by Mavor: 6:59am On Jan 05, 2010
Abeg go sidown. Cos dem make u gaming moderator, you think say you sabi every. "Played all games humanity can make" Lol. Games have been around since the 70s meanwhile you just started with PS2. lipsrsealed
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 6:34pm On Jan 05, 2010
Mavor:

Abeg go sidown. Cos dem make u gaming moderator, you think say you sabi every. "Played all games humanity can make" Lol. Games have been around since the 70s meanwhile you just started with PS2. lipsrsealed
I think i like you cheesy, You are very funny indeed, No need for hates, cheers,
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by texazzpete(m): 3:34pm On Jan 06, 2010
kosovo:

Is it better than a DLC, ?
A 6 hours campaing, you call that a full game? with mediocre story, picture and graphics,  shocked

Regarding 83, i said in today's Gaming community, Considering the name 'halo' it should have done better than that.
so don't misquote me, I have been actively following the gaming industry for over a decade, i sure know what i am talking about,  cheesy

I do not know what you have been smoking, but Halo:ODST did not have mediocre graphics. not spectacular, yes, but it had good, solid graphics.
Since when did having stunning visuals become a criteria for being a good game, anyway? Nothing wrong with the storyline either. It's not as if Resistance and Killzone have epic stories too.

As for having a short campaign, there's also immense value in the multiplayer. As we saw from Call of Duty 4 and MW2, short campaigns doesn't always translate into a bad game.

A decade in the gaming industry is just 1999. I have been a gamer since 1990. That's 19 years to you, sonny boy. Graphics isn't everything. That's why Mario Bros on the Nintendo DS is a better gaming experience than LAIR on the PS3. And that's why the DS is handily beating the PSP silly!
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by ritchboy(m): 4:15pm On Jan 06, 2010
A game CAN score 83 and still be disappointing. . . It all depends on the expectations before it was released, and the quality of its predecessor to an extent. Killzone 2 got high ratings but is the biggest disappointment in gaming history grin grin
However, ODST was nothing less than i expected, and it cant really be classified as Halo 3's successor, so i definitely wont say it was disappointing.

While i dont agree with some of the games on the list, RE 5 was DEFINITELY disappointing. Unlike ODST, it is a successor to a very good game in RE 4, and expectations were very high.
To put it bluntly, RE 5 was 80% crap and owes many of its high ratings to its impressive visuals. Any score hiher than 75 is generous.
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by kosovo(m): 10:31pm On Jan 06, 2010
texazzpete:

A decade in the gaming industry is just 1999. I have been a gamer since 1990. That's 19 years to you, sonny boy. Graphics isn't everything. That's why Mario Bros on the Nintendo DS is a better gaming experience than LAIR on the PS3. And that's why the DS is handily beating the PSP silly!

kosovo
I have been actively following the gaming industry for over a decade, i sure know what i am talking about,
yes, i have been following the gaming industry for over a decade as i said earlier, but i have been gaming much more longer than that. Hope we have an understanding.? cheesy

@ritchboy
. It all depends on the expectations before it was released, and the quality of its predecessor to an extent. Killzone 2 got high ratings but is the biggest disappointment in gaming history Grin Grin

Unfortunately, Killzone 2 surpassed everything the media saw at the E3 presentation in 2005, The media underestimated and thought it could never get the visuals that was shown at the Presentation, but it did making the media look like morons,
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by ritchboy(m): 7:59am On Jan 07, 2010
Kosovo
of course, the visuals in KZ2 are great. . . But the overall game experience is only marginally better than KZ1, which was 5 star rubbish cheesy
How many times do you have to be told good graphics alone dont make a good game?
Re: Ten Surprisingly Disappointing Games Of 2009 by texazzpete(m): 8:26am On Jan 07, 2010
kosovo:

@ritchboy
Unfortunately, Killzone 2 surpassed everything the media saw at the E3 presentation in 2005, The media underestimated and thought it could never get the visuals that was shown at the Presentation, but it did making the media look like morons,

You don't seem to understand what did. Sony and Guerilla Games lied to the world. The media response was correct and appropriate.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mortal Kombat Boss / Sony Playstation 4 (PS4) Coming Out Soon. See The Future! / Grand Theft Auto Sans Andreas Is Tougher Than Gta Vice City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.