Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko (9699 Views)

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa / "Amebo" In Nigeria Parlance: Its Origin And Meaning / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Efewestern: 3:11pm On Apr 16, 2017
Olorogun is a title which means Chief in Urhobo/Isoko, the title is usually answered by top chiefs in urhobo land, thou this word has no origin from the Urhobo /isoko language.

Olorogun is a Yoruba word for Chief, it was imported into the Urhobo culture by Olorogun Michael ibru, before now the Urhobo usually don't use the title olorogun.

How it became accepted in Urhobo Land

Michael ibru was a popular figure in Urhobo land, and Nigeria as a whole, when he first answered the title "Olorogun", many chiefs saw it as something fashionable, and years later, they adopted they adopted the Olorogun title.

Reference

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ibru

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ota_traditional_chiefs

http://www.waado.org/Biographies/ibru_michael/home.html

5 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Efewestern: 3:16pm On Apr 16, 2017
Opharhe , fratermathy, Sanchez01
your contributions will be appreciated .

3 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by gberra: 3:28pm On Apr 16, 2017
Olorogun means Chief in Yoruba ... This one weak me

Igbos always lie tongue

2 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Sanchez01: 3:59pm On Apr 16, 2017
Interesting piece, Matty. The word for chief in Yoruba is 'Oloye' and not Olorogun. However, you are very correct about Olorogun being of Yoruba origin. My Yoruba is sound enough to transliterate Olorogun as 'someone of rivalry' or 'owner of rivalry' (oni+orogun).

Quite frankly, the transliteration above is far from the original meaning of the word itself. Oloroguns are of Ife/Oyo origin. They are special kinds of chiefs that tend to act as judges which specialize in settling minor disputes within their quarters. Perhaps dispute settler or something.

Olorogun, also known as 'Ologun', is a member of a social class of warriors in Yoruba land. In reality, the Olorogun overshadows the Ogbeni. An Ologun or Olorogun usually wears an unusually long cap.

What I don't understand is why an Urhobo speaking part is called 'Orogun'. According to the Yorubas, someone who comes from such a place would called Olorogun, but then, it does not explain how the likes of Michael Ibru got his name. I really don't know much in this aspect. Perhaps he was given this title in Lagos, having spent most of his life there, I'm not sure.

Though it is on record that the Old Benin dynasty came in contact with Yorubas from Ilé-Ifẹ̀ and also some during Benin's invasion on Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Efewestern: 4:03pm On Apr 16, 2017
gberra:
Olorogun means Chief in Yoruba ... This one weak me

Igbos always lie tongue

And how does this relate to iPod, please read before commenting.

2 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Curlieweed: 4:27pm On Apr 16, 2017
Efewestern:

And how does this relate to iPod, please read before commenting.

I think people like the guy you quoted probably troll for Seun to increase page views.

He mentions "IPOB", his fellow trolls join in and before you know it you have 20 pages of BS. That's the business model.

3 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by VirginFinder: 4:55pm On Apr 16, 2017
Efewestern:
Olorogun is a title which means Chief in Urhobo / Isoko land, the title is usually answered by top chiefs in urhobo land, thou this word has no origin from the Urhobo /isoko language.

Olorogun is a Yoruba word for Chief, it was imported into the urhobo culture by Olorogun Michael ibru, before now urhobo the urhobo usually don't use the title olorogun.

How it became accepted in Urhobo Land

Michael ibru was a popular man in urhobo land, and Nigeria as a whole, when he first answered the title "Olorogun" many chief saw it as something strange, but later on they started addressing themselves as Olorogun in place of chief, this was because michael ibru was seen as a great man in urhobo land so answering the same title with him was seen as a prestigious stuff forgetting the fact that it was not originally from urhobo.

Reference

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ibru

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ota_traditional_chiefs

http://www.waado.org/Biographies/ibru_michael/home.html

I hope you learnt something new today, pardon my grammar.

You are one sincere dude.

Many Edo/Delta people would rather claim the world altogether even though they have no idea what it means.

Binis on this forum have severally claimed Ifa, Ogun, Sango, Olokun etc

Na wa

9 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Efewestern: 5:08pm On Apr 16, 2017
VirginFinder:

You are one sincere dude.

Many Edo/Delta people would rather claim the world altogether even though they have no idea what it means.

Binis on this forum have severally claimed Ifa, Ogun, Sango, Olokun etc

Na wa

lolz, I really don't think urhobo will lay claim to that word, thanks for commenting.

seun, lalasticlala do the needful.

2 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Efewestern: 5:11pm On Apr 16, 2017
Curlieweed:

I think people like the guy you quoted probably troll for Seun to increase page views.

He mentions "IPOB", his fellow trolls join in and before you know it you have 20 pages of BS. That's the business model.

lolz, before you know it they have derailed your thread, I think seun is benefiting from all this, if not I wonder how he can't control them here. that was how they derailed a thread about warri last week.
Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by YonkijiSappo: 7:48pm On Apr 16, 2017
Oloroguns are a class of chiefs among the Yoruba.
The word for Chief is Oloye.

1 Like

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by hitman2911: 10:53pm On Apr 16, 2017
Olorogun title among the Yoruba groups means Olori Ogun (war commander) or Ologun (warrior). Olorogun are war chiefs.
Every Yoruba chief is referred to as Oloye while Olorogun are just a class of chiefs.

2 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Efewestern: 6:29am On Apr 17, 2017
hitman2911:
Olorogun title among the Yoruba groups means Olori Ogun (war commander) or Ologun (warrior). Olorogun are war chiefs.
Every Yoruba chief is referred to as Oloye while Olorogun are just a class of chiefs.

YonkijiSappo:
Oloroguns are a class of chiefs among the Yoruba.
The word for Chief is Oloye.

okay thanks for the correction, but what's important is that the word was imported into our language from Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Efewestern: 8:09am On Apr 17, 2017
seun and lalasticlala, afam4ever do the needful, grin
Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Nicho118(m): 8:13am On Apr 17, 2017
what about 'Onorogun' some urhobos call it
Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Opharhe: 9:49am On Apr 17, 2017
Oniovo me cha. Me hevu r'uwevwi r'ega(Ishoshi). Efewestern please it's not true that tye title Olorogun was important into Urhobo land by Michael Ibru. The title was already in use for a long time in history before Ibru was born.
What Michael did was popularize the practice of being addressed Olorogun in public by Urhobo Chiefs. Most titled people then followed the general pattern which most people still use till today by being addressed simply as "Chief". In other words, Michael Ibru carried his ethnic identity and tribal title with great pride and he was admitted for that hence the emulation by many people.

OLOROGUN
I've made some observations and findings too and I quite agree that the word Olorogun most probably has it's origin in Yoruba(and maybe Itsekiri) language.
You can break the word into two - Olori(=Head or leader) and Ogun(=War) in the Yoruba language. Many titles in many Southern Nigeria cultures in those days were born by highly influential people who in occasions acted as War leaders in periods of strife... I will use another Urhobo title to explain further. In addition, there are a class of Chiefs that I know of in Yoruba who are regarded as Olorogun- you find this among the Yoruba tribes native to Lagos especially the Awori and from the link you provided, we also have them in Ota, Ogun state. I'm very sure the use of the title is not limited to the above mentioned places in Yoruba land.

Various Urhobo Titles.

OKAKURO
This is another Urhobo title for Chiefs which I believe is more original and older than Olorogun. Ekakuro(collective) is commonly used in Urhobo and is the official title of the Chiefs of Urhobo clans like Agbon, Okpe among others. According to my findings, the word, is again, made up of 2 separate words of Edo(and maybe ancient Urhobo) origin - Okao(=leader) and Okhuo(=war). Notice the semantic similarity it has with Olorogun. If I wanna digress a little further, you'll observe that in Agbon for example, the eldest person in any community, a highly respected position in Urhobo is referred to as 'Okarorho' which can be translated as head or leader(Oka or Okao) of the the community(Orho).

OHONVWORE
The Ehonvwore are a class of Chiefs in Urhobo land common among the ancient Urhobo kingdoms like Ughelli, Ogor, Agbarha etc. They form the council of the King and the narrative of it's origin in Ughelli points to the days of Imperial Benin when some Urhobo clans established political ties with Benin. This title is associated with monarchy.

ADEH
Adeh are a very unique class of Chiefs peculiar to the Ughievwen people(and Udu in recent times) of Urhobo. It's an ancient title that is associated with the grand patron of Ughievwen, the deity Ogba Urhie till this day. And they constitute 1 of the 4 councils which constitute the traditional government of Ughievwen. It is only through devotion to Ogba Urhie and attainment of wealth and high social class that one can obtain this title not from the monarchy(Ughievwen, until colonial rule, was largely Republican like many other Urhobo clans with the exception of a few who had ancient Kings). There is a separate class of Chiefs(just Ilorogun) who receive their titles from the monarch of Ughievwen.

The above list is not exhaustive. There are others which I can't remember now in some other areas of Urhobo/Isoko.
From the above, you'll see that Urhobo has various classes of Chiefs depending on the history, area and function. what I know growing up, the title Olorogun is more like a collective title for various types of Chiefs and the name have easily become the generally accepted name for Urhobo Chiefs.

Thanks.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Nicho118(m): 9:56am On Apr 17, 2017
Opharhe:
Oniovo me cha. Me hevu r'uwevwi r'ega(Ishoshi).
u dey go Galilee?
Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Opharhe: 4:39pm On Apr 17, 2017
Nicho118:
u dey go Galilee?
Yes o. After mass ehn, no be small groove for my school Church o.

Happy Easter.
Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Opharhe: 5:46pm On Apr 17, 2017
Nicho118:
what about 'Onorogun' some urhobos call it
it's the same thing. Some Urhobos use 'n' for 'l' on some words. Example: Ole(= yam in Ughievwen, Udu etc) and One(=yam in Agbon, Agbarho etc). I believe it's clear now.

1 Like

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Opharhe: 5:57pm On Apr 17, 2017
Efewestern thanks for creating this topic. I really have to do more in this culture section and you're an inspiration.
I will try to create a topic about this issue another time with some more research maybe working with fratermathy.

We kobiruo Oniovo. Happy Easter.
Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by fratermathy(m): 6:39pm On Apr 17, 2017
Ekoko r'Urhobo v'Isoko ovi'Nairalandi, Wadooo!!!

You guys have all said well and enlightened me. I never knew that title has roots in Yoruba!

Opharhe, nice to see you here. It's been a while I spotted you on Nairaland. You missed our Warri thread.

To add a little to this thread:

In Isoko, we also have a class of chiefs called Edio which is headed by an Odion-Ologbo. This class of chiefs is also present in Uwherun clan due to Isoko influence. The Odio-Ologbo acts as the Ovie in the absence of the title bearer in any Isoko clan/Uwherun in Urhobo. The Odio-Ologbo is usually the oldest chief or the most influential chief of the Edio class. Even Isoko clans that have Ovies, such as Ozoro, etc, have the Odio system with an Odio-Ologbo serving more as the "Otota" than the traditional "Otota".

However, the tradition of Olorogun has been imported by the Isokos, notably in Iyede and other borderline clans. Although theirs is simply celebratory and titular and not taken as a class of chiefs.

In Urhoboland, the Ohovworen and Ekakuro systems highlighted by Opharhe are the standard traditional Urhobo chieftaincy classes recognised by scholars in Urhobo culture. The Olorogun title was imported and now signifies a "super-aristocracy". Among the chiefs, some are Illorogun due to prestige, as well as being favoured by the Ovie! Some clans are even slowly changing the Ohovworen to Olorogun entirely due to the perceived likeability of the title.

All-in-all, Urhobo/Isoko has a very rich cultural system that we should all identify with as Urhobo/Isokos. We should all live lives that are deserving of an eventual Olorogun/Ohovworen/Edio title as Urhobo/Isoko people.

Efewestern:
seun and lalasticlala, afam4eva, bigfrancis21, do the needful, grin
This thread truly deserves an engaging and a more elaborate discussion by all Urhobos/Isokos and the general pan-Edo/Yoruba tribes. A frontpage won't be a bad idea.

4 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Afam4eva(m): 6:54pm On Apr 17, 2017
This is one title that i've always thought it sounded Yoruba until recently. I came to learn about the title due to one of the Ibru people using the title.

3 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Opharhe: 7:01pm On Apr 17, 2017
fratermathy:
Ekoko r'Urhobo ovi ri Nairalandi, wadooo!!!

You guys have all said well and enlightened me. I never knew that title has roots in Yoruba!

Opharhe, nice to see you here. It's been a while I spotted you on Nairaland. You missed our Warri thread.

In Isoko, we also have a class of chiefs called Edio which is headed by an Odion-Ologbo. This class of chiefs is also present in Uwherun clan due to Isoko influence. The Odio-Ologbo acts as the Ovie in the absence of the title bearer in any Isoko clan/Uwherun in Urhobo. The Odio-Ologbo is usually the oldest chief or the most influential chief of the Edio class. Even Isoko clans that have Ovies, such as Ozoro, etc, have the Odio system with an Odio-Ologbo serving more as the "Otota" than the traditional "Otota".

However, the tradition of Olorogun has been imported by the Isokos, notably in Iyede and other borderline clans. Although theirs is simply celebratory and titular and not taken as a class of chiefs.

In Urhoboland, the Ohovworen system highlighted by Opharhe is the standard traditional chieftaincy recognised by Urhobo scholars. The Olorogun title was imported and now signifies a "super-aristocracy". Among the chiefs, some are Illorogun due to prestige and favour by the Ovie! Some clans are slowly changing the Ohovworen to Olorogun entirely due to the perceived likability of the title.

All-in-all, Urhobo/Isoko has a very rich cultural system that we should all identify with as Urhobo/Isokos. We should all live lives that are deserving of an eventual Olorogun/Ohovworen/Edio title as Urhobo/Isoko people.
Thanks Oniovo. I saw the Warri post late so I just chill. You guys did justice to it. Kudos.

That's true about Uwherun. The traditional ruler of Uwherun is called Odion r'Ode. Odion is an ancient Edo/Urhobo/Isoko word for elders and it's sometimes used to refer to the departed ancestors. I was raised in Odion in Warri(Iyara, Cemetery Road, Sido axis) and I later found that it was the first settlement of the Agbarha-Ame people where there was an Ogwan for the reverence of the ancestors. The village heads in Benin are known as Odionwere... It goes on and on.

The word Olorogun is just for the name value and many people use it for convenience. The Chieftaincy Institution remains original with corresponding titles throughout Urhoboland. Micheal Ibru for example, was himself an Ohonvwore by virtue of the fact that he was conferred that title by the Ovie of Agbarha-Otor, his hometown. A Chief of Agbon or Okpe is Okakuro, Ughelli, Ohonvwore etc.

I'll show you a video about Ema dance with a short explanation about the Olorogun title by Chief Achonacho, the great Urhobo Orator.

2 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Efewestern: 8:53pm On Apr 17, 2017
Afam4eva:
This is one title that i've always thought it sounded Yoruba until recently. I came to learn about the title due to one of the Ibru people using the title.

yes, the title has no origin from the urhobo language, like someone suggested it might be from itsekiri since they speak like yoruba, but itsekiri don't have any word like olori, funny enough we do not share border with Yorubas.

Please move to fp, hope this thread is free from any tribal sentiment?.

1 Like

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Efewestern: 8:55pm On Apr 17, 2017
Opharhe:
Thanks Oniovo. I saw the Warri post late so I just chill. You guys did justice to it. Kudos.

That's true about Uwherun. The traditional ruler of Uwherun is called Odion r'Ode. Odion is an ancient Edo/Urhobo/Isoko word for elders and it's sometimes used to refer to the departed ancestors. I was raised in Odion in Warri(Iyara, Cemetery Road, Sido axis) and I later found that it was the first settlement of the Agbarha-Ame people where there was an Ogwan for the reverence of the ancestors. The village heads in Benin are known as Odionwere... It goes on and on.

The word Olorogun is just for the name value and many people use it for convenience. The Chieftaincy Institution remains original with corresponding titles throughout Urhoboland. Micheal Ibru for example, was himself an Ohonvwore by virtue of the fact that he was conferred that title by the Ovie of Agbarha-Otor, his hometown. A Chief of Agbon or Okpe is Okakuro, Ughelli, Ohonvwore etc.

I'll show you a video about Ema dance with a short explanation about the Olorogun title by Chief Achonacho, the great Urhobo Orator.

please do well to share the video here let's see.

seun and lalasticlala, grin
Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Efewestern: 9:05pm On Apr 17, 2017
fratermathy:
Ekoko r'Urhobo v'Isoko ovi'Nairalandi, Wadooo!!!

In Urhoboland, the Ohovworen and Ekakuro systems highlighted by Opharhe are the standard traditional Urhobo chieftaincy classes recognised by scholars in Urhobo culture. The Olorogun title was imported and now signifies a "super-aristocracy". Among the chiefs, some are Illorogun due to prestige, as well as being favoured by the Ovie! Some clans are even slowly changing the Ohovworen to Olorogun entirely due to the perceived likeability of the title.

This thread truly deserves an engaging and a more elaborate discussion by all Urhobos/Isokos and the general pan-Edo/Yoruba tribes. A frontpage won't be a bad idea.

i never knew Ohovworen and Ekakuro is the original word for chief, is olori also an urhobo word? have seen several urhobo answering that name

1 Like

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by 9jakool: 9:24pm On Apr 17, 2017
Efewestern:

i never knew Ohovworen and Ekakuro is the original word for chief, is olori also an urhobo word? have seen several urhobo answering that name
Olori is the Yoruba word for head/leader/chief.
you can almost identify a Yoruba origin in a word if it has the prefix of olu.

2 Likes

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Nicho118(m): 11:57pm On Apr 17, 2017
Opharhe:

wow.. I also grew up in that area

1 Like

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Opharhe: 1:53am On Apr 18, 2017
Efewestern:

Yes. Olori means head, leader, in Urhobo. It's a shared word with Yoruba since it has similar meaning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Opharhe: 1:54am On Apr 18, 2017
Nicho118:
wow.. I also grew up in that area
Really? Sido nai be my original area o. My place was close to cemetery road. How about you?
Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Opharhe: 1:57am On Apr 18, 2017
Efewestern:

please do well to share the video here let's see.

seun and lalasticlala, grin
No wahala.
Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Olu317(m): 7:55am On Apr 18, 2017
Sanchez01:
Interesting piece, Matty. The word for chief in Yoruba is 'Oloye' and not Olorogun. However, you are very correct about Olorogun being of Yoruba origin. My Yoruba is sound enough to transliterate Olorogun as 'someone of rivalry' or 'owner of rivalry' (oni+orogun).

Quite frankly, the transliteration above is far from the original meaning of the word itself. Oloroguns are of Ife/Oyo origin. They are special kinds of chiefs that tend to act as judges which specialize in settling minor disputes within their quarters. Perhaps dispute settler or something.

Olorogun, also known as 'Ologun', is a member of a social class of warriors in Yoruba land. In reality, the Olorogun overshadows the Ogbeni. An Ologun or Olorogun usually wears an unusually long cap.

What I don't understand is why an Urhobo speaking part is called 'Orogun'. According to the Yorubas, someone who comes from such a place would called Olorogun, but then, it does not explain how the likes of Michael Ibru got his name. I really don't know much in this aspect. Perhaps he was given this title in Lagos, having spent most of his life there, I'm not sure.

Though it is on record that the Old Benin dynasty came in contact with Yorubas from Ilé-Ifẹ̀ and also some during Benin's invasion on Lagos.
Ologun is a contraction of Olu-Ògun(lord of battle or lord mighty in battle). It's was used by descendants (Princes) of Odua, originally in the olden days to show their relationship with OGUN and war capability. It was later adopted by other noble descendants as well. Although there are different meaning to the same word. But,on the relationship of the name with WAR, it was the ODUA PRINCES THAT USED IT
Re: Olorogun: Origin And How It Became Accepted In Urhoho/isoko by Nicho118(m): 8:49am On Apr 18, 2017
Opharhe:
Really? Sido nai be my original area o. My place was close to cemetery road. How about you?
lived in Iyara and pessu.. na crisis pursue us commot there.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Excuse Me, Why Are The Yorubas So Dominance And Effective In 9ja & Abroad? / Proverbs And There Meaning In Itsekiri / African Beauty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.