Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 (17991 Views)

NASA Astronauts Safely Splash Down As SpaceX Crew Dragon Returns From Space / A Colossal Asteroid "Florence" Will Cruise By Earth Today, Visible To Human Eyes / Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by helinues: 7:40am On Apr 19, 2017
A whopper of an asteroid will make a close approach to Earth on April 19. There's no need to panic, though; NASA says it won't collide with our planet. But it will get extremely close for an asteroid of that size.

Named 2014 JO25, this giant space rock measures approximately 2,000 feet across — about the height of the Shanghai Tower, China's tallest building and the second-tallest building in the world. It will pass by Earth at a safe distance of 1.1 million miles, or nearly five times the distance between the Earth and the moon.

"Small asteroids pass within this distance of Earth several times each week, but this upcoming close approach is the closest by any known asteroid of this size, or larger, since asteroid Toutatis, a 3.1-mile asteroid, which approached within about four lunar distances in September 2004," NASA officials said in a statement. [Photos: Asteroids in Deep Space]

NASA first learned of 2014 JO25 three years ago, when astronomers monitoring the Catalina Sky Survey at the University of Arizona spotted it with their telescopes. Sponsored by NASA's Near-Earth Object (NEO) Observation Program, the survey searches for potentially Earth-threatening asteroids in the solar system.

While NASA doesn't know much about its physical properties, the agency's NEOWISE (Near-Earth Object Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer) mission indicates that the asteroid is about twice as reflective as the moon. Skywatchers will be able to see it with a small telescope. After it first becomes visible in the night sky, it will slowly fade into the distance, disappearing after one or two nights.

"The April 19 encounter provides an outstanding opportunity to study this asteroid, and astronomers plan to observe it with telescopes around the world to learn as much about it as possible," NASA said in the statement. "Radar observations are planned at NASA's Goldstone Solar System Radar in California and the National Science Foundation’s Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico, and the resulting radar images could reveal surface details as small as a few meters."

source: https://web.facebook.com/forum9ja/photos/a.402605389801267.90510.402595333135606/1466987983362997/?type=3&theater

1 Like

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by Nobody: 7:46am On Apr 19, 2017
don't believe everything white men say

13 Likes

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by veekid(m): 7:46am On Apr 19, 2017
Old news
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by sustainable: 7:46am On Apr 19, 2017
wow. I had a dream that the world agencies are not telling us enough about this comet cus in my dream the comet touched the Earth and caused damages. just pray and stay close to your loved one. cus I believe in what I saw.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by Oladelson(m): 7:46am On Apr 19, 2017
hmmmm
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by sustainable: 7:46am On Apr 19, 2017
uzoclinton:
fg
grin lols person wey nor know say you dey drag first to comment space now go think say na Buhari na him cause am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by babyfaceafrica: 7:47am On Apr 19, 2017
And so?
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by cr7rooney10(m): 7:47am On Apr 19, 2017
Pls pass my area

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by bro4u: 7:47am On Apr 19, 2017
thank God the word 'safely' is used, am sure advanced countries esp. USA will be preparing to shoot it down if it would be heading its direction, but if it's heading Nigeria's direction that time you'll hear different theories, Fayose will say God is punishing APC govt, oga Lai Mohamed will say its not an asteroid;its an ice block, while Buhari would be preparing to leave the country

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by Nobody: 7:47am On Apr 19, 2017
Hope Nigerian government won't loot it?.... Because those guys are despicable and they can also claim it is part of the changes APC initiated during its era.

Anyway let the asteroid pass jejely oo. I don't wanna here it fell anywhere oo.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by parissaint(m): 7:47am On Apr 19, 2017
Una b winch?
Gudmornin nairalanders
👆👆👆👆

1 Like

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by georgen2u(m): 7:47am On Apr 19, 2017
Pgod
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by ChappyChase: 7:47am On Apr 19, 2017
Okay safe journey, after all, it's not even welcome on earth!
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by Tazdroid(m): 7:48am On Apr 19, 2017
SciFi bulshevik
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by zainabxel(f): 7:48am On Apr 19, 2017
We here are reciting Bible and Qur'an upandan

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by damiplovR(f): 7:48am On Apr 19, 2017
Story. We are wiser now with the hoax on d shape of the earth and mission to the moon

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by Nobody: 7:48am On Apr 19, 2017
.please hit Nigeria, aso rock & the military HQ.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by mejai(m): 7:48am On Apr 19, 2017
i suspect north korea missile test o
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by softwerk(f): 7:48am On Apr 19, 2017
I just hope they did their calculations right at NASA?! lipsrsealed

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by cr7rooney10(m): 7:48am On Apr 19, 2017
Pass my area oo
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by Nellybobo(m): 7:48am On Apr 19, 2017
It better pass above Nigeria
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by etebefia: 7:49am On Apr 19, 2017
Ok
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by KingMicky3286: 7:49am On Apr 19, 2017
Can someone teach me something.... I hope it will not crash in my Village.... The building am doing there is more important than any fly things...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by profdotcom: 7:49am On Apr 19, 2017
Abeg make e take am easy as e dey fly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 7:50am On Apr 19, 2017
My country people will not believe this. Nigeria is so gone
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by positivelord: 7:50am On Apr 19, 2017
I know Zamfara Governor will not believe all these nonsense.

SMH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by loomer: 7:51am On Apr 19, 2017
Why particles no just fall for aso rock/national assembly

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by TINALETC3(f): 7:51am On Apr 19, 2017
Wetin concern me

1 Like

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by Nobody: 7:51am On Apr 19, 2017
A conspiracy theory video I watched said they're just 'testing the waters' for the event of a possible nuclear war grin grin 'flat earthers' no go kill person abeg
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 19, 2017
sustainable:
grin lols person wey nor know say you dey drag first to comment space now go think say na Buhari na him cause am
lol....
Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by Nobody: 7:55am On Apr 19, 2017
sustainable:
wow. I had a dream that the world agencies are not telling us enough about this comet cus in my dream the comet touched the Earth and caused damages. just pray and stay close to your loved one. cus I believe in what I saw.
so there are people who dream about space objects..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Big, Shiny Asteroid To Fly (safely) Past Earth On April 19 by Loyalblak007(f): 7:59am On Apr 19, 2017
what time is it passing Nigeria please

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Teaches Two-legged Pig To Walk / MTN Free Browsing On Android/pc [working!] / China To Build Power Station In The Moon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.