Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,020 members, 7,818,022 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport (41102 Views)

An Overview Of The 10 Lane Oshodi-Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Pics / Atedo Peterside's Anap Jet Robbed At Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Rats Hanging From The Ceiling At Murtala Muhammed Airport Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 19, 2017
PDPGuy:

Yes. Trolleys cost $5 for departing passengers, and it is free for arriving passengers.

Exactly.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Tobisky23(m): 5:59pm On Aug 19, 2017
You are so dumb that you refused to follow the argument on the thread...mr sense please stay out of my mention.busy body
romenna:
what is the correlation between your comment and the topic of discuss?
u nor get sense?
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 6:00pm On Aug 19, 2017
majekdom2:
obviously, the ones shouting afonja and ipob belong to the very lower class. I have said that before. many of them have not had the opportunity to travel via air talk more leaving the country thus they are not informed about what is being discussed on this thread.
secondly, it shows that we have a problem as many do not bother to engage on some critical issues simply because they feel it does not affect them i.e they are not in the country. I am referring to the upper class here. I have just made a point where i stated clearly that their superiors are aware of what they are doing and thats why they can do whatever they are doing like it is normal. I do not think foreign interference will work. No matter the branding, if the content is bad, it is bad.
It is not their fault because when they get critical discussion on, they will be embarrassed or insulted by some idiots that can't engage in critical discussion.
At the topic, if foreign interference won't work then let them privatize the airport. Things must change. We can't continue like this.

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by BagsJewlery(f): 6:14pm On Aug 19, 2017
God! I so much love this thread. The other day I was complaining to my friend about some NIPOST officials and their beggarly attitude. I am also aware of the corrupt practices that has overwhelmed Immigration head office, Lagos. Now Here I am faced with a thread of this same beggarly attitude at MMI Airport. But what is it with government parastatals? Are they not being regulated at all? This embarrassment is just too much to conceal. This country is big for nothing!

8 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 19, 2017
majekdom2:
it depends on how you see it. Yes, people say Nigeria is corrupt and that is because a majority of the populace is. Corruption was a thing of life and death in china. This helped them. There were no sentiments. once you are caught, you are gone. This is the only way Nigeria can be sustainable if she is ready to. Why do you think the police extort as they do? why do you think what is happening at the airport is a Norm? Their superiors travel through same airport, dont they? EFCC and ICPC officials travel through same airport, dont they? if corruption is a degenerate of followership, how then can we correct it..... It can only be corrected from the top. They are the ones with the power to make the right laws and execute them. if your had a boss that was an accomplice in stealing company funds and say he later died. If you have a new boss that's quite truthful and modest, will you have the mind to steal? knowing fully that you risk going to jail and loosing your job..... this is my point. Its not about me admitting I am not corrupt or not. its about how the system can work
and your point is well stated and fully comprehended, but I differ in that, corruption in the African context, Nigeria to be specific is an offshoot of a culture =way of life the result of which will no matter the cosmetic cures you proffer only devolve back to the mess from which it emerged. Blaming the leadership for corruption is a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg? In this instance I daresay that the followership is corrupt hence it tolerates that which is true to it's nature, if corruption were unnatural to the followership, they will shortly have been roused from lethargy and shaken off the corrupt like a wet dog soaked in water. Our culture breeds thieves, attacking the leaders (which I am not at all averse to) is merely treating the symptom not the cause...the agitation of the followership may appear as a justified lament for change, but in actual fact, it's a lament that the fruits of corruption has not trickled down to them, not too many people who benefit from the rewards of corruption fight against it....you say if the leaders are used as examples, the followership will learn..lol I say the followership will only get smarter, the human intellect is unlimited in devising evil...on the other hand, if the way of life the end of which is corruption were to be radically modified, corruption is disincentivised...and a leader emerges.

7 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by UncleJudax(m): 6:23pm On Aug 19, 2017
hillsway:
dude you're the luckiest person alive.Those immigration guys made me miss my flight(got to the airport by 6.30 am,so as to catch a flight scheduled for 10 am.

checked in my luggages between 7.30-8 am,after which I proceeded to the immigration point to be cleared as usual.

Met an elderly man(whom I'd rather refer to as an elderly thief who's Children and grand children(both alive and yet unborn) would suffer for the trauma he and his cohort made me go through.

First question asked by him was,so you're leaving to blablabla for what exactly(which seem professional enough,so i responded likewise "heading there for a job offer sir"wink.

SO HOW MUCH DOLLARS DO YOU HAVE ON YOU?
We don't use dollars sir and moreover I've got a taxi guy on stand by, waiting to take me to my apartment once I arrive.
This I suspected threw this OLD FOOL off balance,thereby making him direct me to another thief on standby who asked me to follow him for questioning.

Oga so you mean,you are traveling with no dollars on you,said thief number 2! I nodded in the affirmative trying to explain,that I've got a dollar card with which I intend making withdrawal when I land.

Next is:
So what do you have to settle ground with?
Me wan play sharp delta boy with a true Nigeria mentality of "NO BRIBE MUST BE PAID TO GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS WHO'S SALARIES AND OTHER INCENTIVES COMES REGULARLY"

Sorry sir,but I don't have a dime to give to anyone.

From there na inside one small immigration room I see myself(ME A NIGERIAN,WHO STANDS STILL FROM A MILLION MILES AWAY WHEN EVER THE NATIONAL ANTHEM GETS SANG).

At this time,everyone had already boarded,only for the flight manager(Etihad) to make his way to that room,of which they told him to unpack my luggages and wait for further instruction.

NA SO I LOOSE MY FLIGHT,BUT I GAIN ONE SERIOUS EXPERIENCE:

Whosoever chooses to sanitize that system has got the devil to contend with,as from my observation those guys are placed there to carry out those act by powers that be.

You've got to recruit vibrate youths,who's undergone training on human relationship/cc so as to learn and unlearn certain things.

I go upload my ticket of then(missed ticket) just so una go verify,just say those thieves name elude my memories.

Has anyone observed that most BENIN ladies you find working in M.M.A most times act as drunk? as far as professionalism is concerned.
(Talking from experience,cause I met 3 during my ordeal and all they could say while I was trying to explain was...NO TALK TO ME,JUST MOVE GO THAT SIDE FAST FAST FAST FAST!)

That I had to pay 100$ to reschedule wasn't the problem,but that everyone I met encouraged me to bribe my way through, on my next journey was baffling.

So sorry they got you. Them no de carry ear hear say you no carry cash..dollar and possibly naira( for easy settlement)

One Baba asked me "what do you have for me"? I say Baba nothing o. I be student. The man say ok...student what do you have for me? angry

I tell am say I no hold anything. From check-in to boarding, I was asked for money not less than 4 different places. I no give them shi shi

The naira for my pocket still de with me here.

Again...hard luck!

4 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 6:37pm On Aug 19, 2017
GogobiriLalas:
and your point is well stated and fully comprehended, but I differ in that, corruption in the African context, Nigeria to be specific is an offshoot of a culture =way of life the result of which will no matter the peripheral cures you proffer only devolve back to the mess from which it emerged. Blaming the leadership for corruption is a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg? In this instance I daresay that the followership is corrupt hence it tolerates that which is common to it's nature, if corruption were unnatural to the followership, they will shortly have been roused from lethargy and shaken off the corrupt like a wet dog soaked in water. Our culture breeds thieves, attacking the leaders (which I am not at all averse to) is merely treating the symptom not the cause...the agitation of the followership may appear as a justified lament for change, but in actual fact, it's a lament that the fruits of corruption has not trickled down to them, not too many people who benefit from the rewards of corruption fight against it....
someone stated, that greed and corruption is Natural but systems should be in place to check it. Give birth to a Nigeria in America, he does the right things. Give birth to an American in Nigeria, he behaves like a Nigerian. It's the environment one finds himself as it's a mental process. check countries that fought corruption, they fought it from the top. Like I did say the government i.e leadership can frustrate one into corruption. Thats because Nigeria as it is, is basically a social country and not capitlist. And why we capitalism is hard to practice in Nigeria is because of these government policies and structures that built to encourage corruption. I don't want to go into the social problem we have i.e greed, non contentment, envy and competition. This is because I believe some personal traits can be changed given the right environment. There are Nigerians who found themselves abroad out of non contentment and perhaps competition but have changed given what's obtainable in those climes. Read about corruption in China, Ghana and so many other countries. You have to tackle it from the top because nothing happens in a nation without a government. Yes, the followers are corrupt but why do they do it with all boldness, it's because their superiors are. See, if the government gets things done the way they ought to, Yes is Yes, No is No. You face the law, justice not delayed. No matter how much of a devil you are, you will change. I made a clear example where if one has a boss as an accomplice in committing fraud, once the boss is changed, the criminal has no other option. If it is the subordinate that is changed, it gets very hard because the boss can frustrate him into committing fraud again. In most instances, the followers are subject to their leaders. Thats why there is this saying that leadership is by examples.

7 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ugosample(m): 6:40pm On Aug 19, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

For one which countries have you been to?
How did you get this travel itch?
How do you fund your travels?

Well, I have been to quite a few, some of them including Benin Rep, Togo, Senegal, Ghana, Ivory Coast etc .
Some of these countries I visited several times

It's a bug that catches you mehn
Can't really explain it

How else do you fundtravels? you pay for it na

But on a more serious note, I loook out for flight discounts, discount on hotels, and also where I can get forex (Euro, Francs and cedis) at good rates

That's it

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Jaqenhghar: 6:47pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ugosample:

Well, I have been to quite a few, some of them including Benin Rep, Togo, Senegal, Ghana, Ivory Coast etc .
Some of these countries I visited several times

It's a bug that catches you mehn
Can't really explain it

How else do you fundtravels? you pay for it na

But on a more serious note, I loook out for flight discounts, discount on hotels, and also where I can get forex (Euro, Francs and cedis) at good rates

That's it
Interesting. I envy you cos the experiences and the things you learn is second to none. I always wanted to do that but I found myself chasing money instead got my first job and Ive been grounded ever since cry
Are you in the country currently or on the move?
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by urchman23: 6:53pm On Aug 19, 2017
tellwisdom:
I almost slapped one hoe for asking me to pay for a trolley....The other foolish man looked at a grown man like me to ask where i was coming from and what i do for a living...The kind eye i take look am eh...i think he was confused
only in Lagos you pay for a troley..
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 19, 2017
ifyalways:

I'm yet to see an international airport where trolleys are free.

@Topic, welcome to Nigeria!
It's free In London Heathrow, and Toronto Canada airports

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by nefertitiram: 7:03pm On Aug 19, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Heathrow, JFK, the list goes on and on !

Trolley is $6 in JFK. Stop saying what you don't know
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Ugosample(m): 7:08pm On Aug 19, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

Interesting. I envy you cos the experiences and the things you learn is second to none. I always wanted to do that but I found myself chasing money instead got my first job and Ive been grounded ever since cry
Are you in the country currently or on the move?

Option 2

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by wonlasewonimi: 8:04pm On Aug 19, 2017
iceberg54:

LOL.... really?

I'm yet to see one where trolleys are not free..and I've been to a lot.... maybe just the specific ones you mentioned.

About the topic.. it's so bad... was at MMIA in July. Wanted to use the bathroom before leaving. The cleaner asked if I need a tissue paper or water. I asked what he meant and he asked again confidently.... lol.... When I was done he held the hand soap and gave me a bit of it. So instead of putting those supplies in the right places, he was in control of everything and expected me to find something for him at the end...

Even inside toilet..... only in naija....

In short, you did not tamba abi?
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Droyal(f): 8:34pm On Aug 19, 2017
Ugosample:

In my experience there, I got to see what the problem with Nigeria is, especially those of us from the South.

we lack contentment as a people, and are too materialistic and greedy

Stealing, Extortion, Begging, desperation and get rich quick or die trying mentality

That's what we suffer, and the mess at MMIA shows all that

Nice points, we Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria and that's just the fact, this country's problem is systemic.

Anyone that wants to deal with corruption is this country is on a very long ride. In fact doing the right thing seems wrong to a lot of Nigerians and you can get punished for being the right one.

3 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by meliziz12(m): 8:50pm On Aug 19, 2017
SageTravels:
This is really bad. an airport as big as Lagos airport should have CCTV surveillance camera.
..bro where do you see the bigness in that overhyped chimney!
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by EbolaParasite: 9:01pm On Aug 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Yep, IAH.

Totally free. No neeed for long stories.

Excuse me they are not free. I have paid at least a minimum of 15 times at IAH
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by femijck(m): 9:24pm On Aug 19, 2017
It is a public disgrace to the country...and so embarrassing nothing is been done despite the daily cries from innocent people...
I was more than disgraced when I first invited my wife to Nigeria and she came out of arrival to tell me how she was threatened by those fools because she refuse to give them more than 10$ for trolley....they even threatened to jail her. I tried to correct her first impression even though I knew she was right.

Fast forward to 9 month later, I had the worst experience with them after setting up their lies about my passport and threatened me with DSS......They asked for 100$.....I later had to give them 4K and another $10 just not to miss my flight of around N1.M.

What a shameful act.

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by CanadianNurse: 10:06pm On Aug 19, 2017
nefertitiram:

Trolley is $6 in JFK. Stop saying what you don't know
never payed a dime for trolley and my only visit to the USA was through JFK... Arrival and departure

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 10:19pm On Aug 19, 2017
EbolaParasite:

Excuse me they are not free. I have paid at least a minimum of 15 times at IAH

Yes, it's free.

They are free for Passengers. Another member had confirmed it wink

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by centboy123456(m): 10:23pm On Aug 19, 2017
1metre:
Am waiting for them on my next arrival, I will break someone head there. Criminals.

wen are u coming I love to know when
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by nefertitiram: 10:55pm On Aug 19, 2017
CanadianNurse:
never payed a dime for trolley and my only visit to the USA was through JFK... Arrival and departure

You must have seen an abandoned trolley and you used it. If u have to take from the rack, u pay with card or cash, $6

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by EbolaParasite: 11:03pm On Aug 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Yes, it's free.

They are free for Passengers. Another member had confirmed it wink

You keep insisting and i told you i have paid on multiple occasions. if you see a trolley idle, of course someone has already paid for it. On the other hand, tell me if you went to the rack, where they are stacked if you were able to pull one without paying. The thing even accepts credit card payment sef. It is not free. I have paid multiple times.

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 19, 2017
EbolaParasite:

You keep insisting and i told you i have paid on multiple occasions. if you see a trolley idle, of course someone has already paid for it. On the other hand, tell me if you went to the rack, where they are stacked if you were able to pull one without paying. The thing even accepts credit card payment sef. It is not free. I have paid multiple times.

Trolleys are free at IAH, I bet I've transitioned there more than you and I've never paid wink

Another member has validated this too on this thread.

http://www.ifly.com/george-bush-intercontinental-airport/baggage-and-security

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by usmanspihn(m): 11:57pm On Aug 19, 2017
ifyalways:

I'm yet to see an international airport where trolleys are free.

@Topic, welcome to Nigeria!
I've never paid for trolleys at Heathrow

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by iceberg54: 12:18am On Aug 20, 2017
wonlasewonimi:

In short, you did not tamba abi?

Gerrout!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I only pissed nah undecided

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by EbolaParasite: 2:05am On Aug 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Trolleys are free at IAH, I bet I've transitioned there more than you and I've never paid wink

Another member has validated this too on this thread.

http://www.ifly.com/george-bush-intercontinental-airport/baggage-and-security

Apparently we're referencing different things. Free for arrivals but definitely not departure. Never had to use one upon arrival so no way i would have known about that. Departures on the other hand, as evident in the pic you attached is not free.

Oh by the way, transition all you want, unless you work the type of work i do, no way you would have transitioned more than i do. Pass through there every 25-28 days non stop.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by coldsummer: 2:08am On Aug 20, 2017
erico2k2:

Well all of Europe . U dnt pay . JfK u dnt pay . SYDNEY you don. China U dnt pay,Dubai you don't pay.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 2:56am On Aug 20, 2017
EbolaParasite:

Apparently we're referencing different things. Free for arrivals but definitely not departure. Never had to use one upon arrival so no way i would have known about that. Departures on the other hand, as evident in the pic you attached is not free.

Oh by the way, transition all you want, unless you work the type of work i do, no way you would have transitioned more than i do. Pass through there every 25-28 days non stop.

I've submitted my proof. You said it wasn't free. You never specified arrival or departure smiley

I don't need to tell you what I do for a living. It's beyond the scope of this discussion.

1 Like

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by rossi49ja(m): 4:32am On Aug 20, 2017
Lucasbalo:
You have never been to Chicago then. Our trolleys are free here on arrival.
I disagree with you bro unless it began of recent. I used the O'hare airport in January and the trolley wasn't free.
Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Godson201333(m): 5:34am On Aug 20, 2017
One Fact i have been trying to get is that ,are these people paid constantly and effectively ??..I came home recently and the kind of extortion i experienced is nothing to talk about ..though i was hard on giving out but i can count the points that i was being asked to bribe ...it was more than 8 counters..in-fact before i could park my car right out side the Departure Hall,I was asked to settle,I was also told that my siblings aren't allow to follow me down to the departure Hall,then i had to settle ...For them to check my passport I had to settle ..I have been a frequent traveller since I was 19 years old and i kept wondering ...Do these bunch of criminal know what they are doing is bad ??

2 Likes

Re: Bribe Collection At Murtala Muhammed International Airport by chineselink: 10:59am On Aug 20, 2017
Ezniteadin:
Have you been to the Murtala Muhammad international Airport lately?

It is the most crowded Airport in my experiences, the prying eyes and busybodies waiting to latch on to your purse forcefully by all gimmicks

They beggarly initiate all method of trickery to collect bribe from travelers

The lack of CCTV surveillance camera is one major reason the attending offices are the more brazen,

they practically beg for money and threaten you if you refuse to grease their corrupt palms

You wonder why Government workers are so bold to Beg for money in an international airport

They search your Bags with bare hands and look for what is not lost, whereas other countries of the world would pass your bags through a search machine to spot items not fit for travel

Nigerian Airport workers practically search your bag in attempts to find anything for which they can collect bribe from you even your underwaer

I am just wondering, Any Nairalander who have experienced this brazen thievery by employed and unemployed loiters at the Airport

The Nigerian government is pretending and acting as if bribe does not happen at the airport Or else, something should have been done to stem this shameful acts of international embarrassment

what is your story at the airport ?
I challenged them for trying to extort money from Chinese guy's I flew in with just because of their food items.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

International Students Now Allowed To Stay In UK For 2 Years After Study- Uk Pm / Ghanaian Woman Dies While Driving At Top Speed To Catch Her Cheating Husband / Two BRT Buses Collide In Ikorodu, Many Injured (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.