Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria (1228 Views)

Drama As Tambuwal Joins Federal Republic Of Nigeria Party / Tinubu Has No Regrets Pushing Fashola For Lagos Governorship / Can You Vote Fashola For President In 2015? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by bombay: 4:03pm On Jan 03, 2010
Let us be rational here this guy fashola should be president.

Lets have a million march for him to look into the prospect of him leading our great country Nigeria to the promise land.

Lineage
Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN) is a descendant of the patriarch of the Fashola family, Alfa Bello Fashola of Princess Street in Isale Gangan, Lagos. On the Fashola family tree, he is the great grandson of Bello Fashola, a philanthropist and a very close friend of Esugbayi Eleko, who contributed morally and financially to the struggle to return Esugbayi Eleko to Lagos after the Oba's banishment from his kingdom by the then colonial government. Bello Fashola had 137 children with Tiamiyu Bashorun Fashola as the eldest child. The direct linkage is as follows: Bello Fashola begat Tiamiyu Fashola, who begat Raji Olayinka Fashola, who begat Ademola Fashola who begat Babatunde Raji Fashola.

He is also linked to Isale Eko through his paternal grandmother who is a direct descendant of the Shomade/Bashua family of Obun Eko and Suenu chieftancy family house. His paternal great, great grandmother was Jarinatu Okunnu from Isale Eko Onilegbe family whilst his maternal great grandmother is from Idumagbo Isale Eko of the Suenu Chieftancy family.

Early career
Babatunde Raji Fashola was born in Lagos on June 28, 1963. He attended Birchfreeman High school Lagos and He studied at the University of Benin from where he graduated with a Bachelor of Laws, LL.B.(Hon), degree in 1987.

He is married to Mrs. Abimbola Emmanuela Fashola and they have children.

He was called to the Nigerian Bar as a solicitor and advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria in November 1988 after completing the professional training programme at the Nigerian Law School, Lagos which he undertook between 1987 and 1988. His legal career of over one and a half decades, commenced in the law Firm of Sofunde, Osakwe, Ogundipe and Belgore, where he cut his legal teeth as a litigator over such wide-ranging areas of specialization as, intellectual property (registration of trade marks), commercial law, covering general contracts, company activities, mergers, acquisitions, right issues, ownership of shares and equity of corporations, as well as land disputes, criminal law and chieftaincy matters, in all of which he has come to acquire appreciable expertise and vast experience.

Fashola, a Notary Public of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, has been variously honoured with awards and certificates of merit including the Distinguished Alumnus Award conferred on him by the University of Benin Alumni Association in recognition of contributions to the Alumnus association and humanity. He is also a recipient of Lagos State public service club Platinum Award for outstanding contribution towards development. As well as Alliance for Democracy " Igbogbo Bayeku Local Government Award" in recognition of activities towards the success of the party.

Babatunde Fashola is also a Patron of the Law Students Association of the University of Benin and he is the second law graduate from the University of Benin and the first member of the Nigerian Law School graduating class of 1988 to be conferred with the Rank of Senior Advocate. He is also the First ever Chief of Staff to be so honored. He is a member of the Nigerian Bar Association, the International Bar Association and an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria.

Political career
Babatunde Fashola served the State in various capacities, including:

Secretary of the Lands Sub-Committee of the Transitional Work Groups. 1999.
Member of the panel of Enquiry into allocation of houses on the Mobolaji Johnson Housing Scheme at Lekki, 2000.
Member of the State Tenders Board- 2002- 2006.
Member of Lagos State Executive Council-2002-2006.
Member of the State Security Council-2002-2006
Member of the State Treasury Board-2002-2006
Chairman Ad-Hoc Committee on the Review of Asset distribution among Local Government.
He was Chief of Staff to his predecessor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Fashola had during his tenure as Chief of Staff also dubbed as the Honourable Commissioner to the Governor's office. He was the first person to hold both offices simultaneously.

Governorship
Babatunde Fashola commenced a four-year tenure as the Executive Governor of Lagos State in Nigeria on May 29, 2007.

In June 2007, Babatunde Fashola appointed former Inspector General of Police Musiliu Smith head of the Lagos State Security council, a body charged with taking a holistic look at the anatomy of crime in the state.

Forget zoning whatever it is called let the right person lead us.
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by onyengbu1(m): 4:19pm On Jan 03, 2010
If you are talking about 2011, then i will vote him but in 2015 im voting soludo.
As for the right man for the job, dont tell me that each region does not have a right person for the job.
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by 9ja4eva: 4:23pm On Jan 03, 2010
He has my votes
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by bombay: 4:27pm On Jan 03, 2010
No tribal sentiments
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by idomababe(f): 5:40pm On Jan 03, 2010
I agree the right man should get the job. I have a couple of question i need fashola to answer after which he may get my vote.
This question all have one public figure recurring in all of them,Otunba Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by Gbawe: 5:54pm On Jan 03, 2010
bombay:

Forget zoning whatever it is called let the right person lead us.

Most Nigerians would probably concur with what you say above. The problem is that what most Nigerians want is not what the few who 'own' us want. Our 'owners'have decided that the Presidency must be zoned. This type of arrangement will continue to keep performers like Fashola away from the top job to the detriment of Nigeria's development.

Since the average Nigerian is not aware of the power vested in him to challenge misrule, we should continue to accept mediocre impositions like Yar Adua until we are ready to fight for the leaders we want . If Fashola risk his career for us by contesting for the Presidency in 2011 will he get the support of the average Nigerian when the powerbrokers , even if Fashola wins by a landslide,  decide that it is not the turn of a Yoruba man? Personally I would prefer for Fashola to keep doing well for Lagos till 2015 than for the best performing leader we have to becomes another Abiola in 2011 !!!
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by Mekusxyz: 6:06pm On Jan 03, 2010
Fashola can never rule Nigeria in the nearest future. Yoruba have had their turn. So cut the crap.
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by netpro(m): 6:38pm On Jan 03, 2010
onye_ngbu:

If you are talking about 2011, then i will vote him but in 2015 im voting soludo.
As for the right man for the job, dont tell me that each region does not have a right person for the job.

You just spoke my mind. I will even preffer Barr. Sullivan Chime than Fashola in 2015. Abi we no follow - am sure you know that both of them are capable too.
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by kokoA(m): 6:43pm On Jan 03, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Fashola can never rule Nigeria in the nearest future. Yoruba have had their turn. So cut the crap.

I can't believe somebody can still make such a statement in the year 2010. You must be part of the older generation of Nigerians I guess, if you are not then better wake up and join the new breeeds ok? Let the most competente man get the job irrespective of tribe, religion, e.t.c.
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by Mekusxyz: 7:43pm On Jan 03, 2010
kokoA:

I can't believe somebody can still make such a statement in the year 2010. You must be part of the older generation of Nigerians I guess, if you are not then better wake up and join the new breeeds ok? Let the most competente man get the job irrespective of tribe, religion, e.t.c.

Well, I happen to be an ardent subscriber to rotational presidency. I stand by it because I know every region has the best to offer. I will campaign against a Yoruba who contests in 2011 and in 2015. If you do not like it, well, there is nothing I can do for you. Get a different perspective (from yours) in the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-373857.0.html
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by kokoA(m): 8:00pm On Jan 03, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Well, I happen to be an ardent subscriber to rotational presidency. I stand by it because I know every region has the best to offer. I will campaign against a Yoruba who contests in 2011 and in 2015. If you do not like it, well, there is nothing I can do for you. Get a different perspective (from yours) in the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-373857.0.html

One question for you: Assuming the contest for 2011 is between Yar'adua (second term) and Fashola, who will you go for Mr. supporter of rotational presidency? Thanks
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by Mekusxyz: 8:05pm On Jan 03, 2010
It does not have to be Yaradua. It can be any other northerner and there are many competent ones. And what on earth makes you think Fasola will excel at the federal level? Lagos State is just a single state. We are talking about Nigeria and its murky politics. Fasola even illegally deported Nigerians from Lagos. So I doubt that he will make a good president. In any case, he should wait until it is Yoruba turn again. For all we know, Fasola could just be a media hype. Parts of Lagos are still as dirty and unattended to as pre-Fasola era.
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by SEFAGO(m): 8:10pm On Jan 03, 2010
That is as expected crap- there can only be one best candidate hence the word best. Yes a Region can produce a candidate slightly similar in quality but we want the best candidates to run Nigeria.

Ahh I am sick of people like this
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by Mekusxyz: 8:20pm On Jan 03, 2010
I pray everyday that Yaradua survives his ill-health and finish at least a single term. He can be replaced by another northerner in 2011. In 2015, it must be a SSner or a SEner. Fasola or any other Yoruba should (and must) take a back seat until further notice.
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by kokoA(m): 8:23pm On Jan 03, 2010
@ mekusxyz

You have not answered my question. Let me rephrase it for you then

Based on your understanding (rotational presidency), 2011 should go to the north right? Ok, but supposing the best candidate the north could offer is Umaru Musa Yaradua (for a second tenure) and the opposition presents Fashola. Would you rather stick with Umaru since its their "turn" or you would swing the other way? May I have my answer now please? Thanks.
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by Mekusxyz: 8:27pm On Jan 03, 2010
KokoA

I have answered your question already. Fasola will be campaigned against in 2011. Justice, equity, unity and fairplay are more important than a fanthom Fasola at this point. Moreover, is Yaradua the only northerner?
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by kokoA(m): 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2010
Mekusxyz:

KokoA

I have answered your question already. Fasola will be campaigned against in 2011. Justice, equity, unity and fairplay are more important than a fanthom Fasola at this point. Moreover, is Yaradua the only northerner?

Now I know why Nigeria have remmained one of the poorest Nations in the world for a long time now. Some of her citizens are very comfortable with the status-quo. But thank God a greater percentage are begining to embrace the rigth way of doing things (As you can see from the replies to this post, apart from the ones from my friend Mekusxyz). So I don't really care about you opinion. Thanks
Re: Fashola For President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria by Mekusxyz: 8:41pm On Jan 03, 2010
KokoA

Neither do I care about your opinion. The link I posted helps to butress my point and many nairalanders (as though nairaland can make anyone president) also support rotational presidency. For the umpteenth time, Yaradua is not the only northerner. You don't force your opinion on me; so keep to your opinion and let me keep to mine. Have a nice day.

Fasola is gov of Lagos for 2 years or more and Lagos is still not among the 10 states least affected by poverty. That is by the way, though.

(1) (Reply)

Read This Old Story - Nigerians Do This All The Time - It Is Crazy. What Is Wron / Politics In Christendom;(rccg) Daddy G.o Must Read This!. . Lol / OK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.