Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,437 members, 7,836,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? (4243 Views)

Anti-atheism In Nigeria / My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. / 22 Year Study States Atheism In A Mental Disease? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by thesuave10(m): 10:47am On May 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

what if I told you I have a pink unicorn with me that shits rainbows?

After you check google, You'll go for a brain scan
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by hopefulLandlord: 10:51am On May 04, 2017
thesuave10:

After you check google, You'll go for a brain scan

you're being coy, you said there's proof a pink unicorn doesn't exist, I said I have one with me and now you're pulling hominems

does google know what I ate yesterday? if no, how come you're implying every information is on google?

does google know the cocacola formula? if no, why then are you so sure anything that is on google is the truth and anything not there is a lie? can't there be truth outside google

I repeat, I have a pink unicorn with me right now

1 Like

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by thesuave10(m): 11:48am On May 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you're being coy, you said there's proof a pink unicorn doesn't exist, I said I have one with me and now you're pulling hominems

does google know what I ate yesterday? if no, how come you're implying every information is on google?

does google know the cocacola formula? if no, why then are you so sure anything that is on google is the truth and anything not there is a lie? can't there be truth outside google

I repeat, I have a pink unicorn with me right now

I repeat browse google them go for a brain scan
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by hopefulLandlord: 12:02pm On May 04, 2017
thesuave10:

I repeat browse google them go for a brain scan

now you're sounding like a broken record

I have a pink unicorn with me!, I don't need google to prove/disprove something I have with me already
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by thesuave10(m): 12:44pm On May 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

now you're sounding like a broken record

I have a pink unicorn with me!, I don't need google to prove/disprove something I have with me already

Your IQ is low. I'm done here smiley
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 04, 2017
CatfishBilly:
I was discussing with a friend recently and the topic unfortunately moved to the rising atheistic population of Nigeria (Nigeria has a shitload of atheists, no joke. You just need to know where to look).
He was of the opinion that the rise of atheism in Nigeria is a reaction.
A reaction to the flaws and excesses of especially Pentecostalism.
How true is this?
Let's have a civil discussion please.
Hahn, hopefulLandlord, Wilgrea7, Jackbizzle, sarassin, MuttleyLaff, jonbellion, akintom, rawgurl, adepeter26, randomperson, realmindz, johnydon22, lennycool, Desepiero, avaa, Seun, nanizle, Frank317 etc

Interesting, I am not sure that there has been a significant rise in atheism as a direct result of the perceived flaws of pentcostalism, I have seen no empirical evidence to suggest or support this. What I do think however is that there is a far wider platform to present atheistic views than ever before.

Once an atheist takes the decision to no longer believe in God then the whole shebang is over. It is usually for far deeper and existential reasons, the flaws of organised religion in general and the excessive and frankly garish behaviour of so called men-of-god in particular simply become a symptom of underlying issues. Still, I often ask myself why congregants put up with these excesses and I come to realise that it is because the congregants see in these charlatans what they aspire to, and that once the “penny has dropped” that religion is a form of a neurosis, you cannot then return to that state of being.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by CatfishBilly: 4:38pm On May 25, 2017
More contributions.
Seun, Mynd44, ain't this front page worthy?
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by Deicide: 1:06am On May 26, 2017
What we all want in this life is Freedom but sometimes fear is what prevent us from getting it! and that's what religion[Christiaanity & Islam] does to people.
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by Pastafarian: 3:40pm On May 26, 2017
CatfishBilly:
More contributions.
Se.un, Myn.d44, ain't this front page worthy?

atheism thread on FP? maybe those criticising religion but straight up atheism? no way José
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by CatfishBilly: 4:09pm On May 26, 2017
Pastafarian:

atheism thread on FP? maybe those criticising religion but straight up atheism? no way José
Lol. Noticed that. Before people accuse Se.un of Atheism propaganda. grin grin
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by aminu790(m): 4:39pm On May 26, 2017
My primary science teacher is an atheist and i dont know why keep telling me what oxygen and carbon dioxide is.

1 Like

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by avaa(m): 9:06pm On Jun 01, 2017
Freedom. Education. Exposure.

I think at some point, every atheist before abandoning his/her god would have asked him/herself this questions...

1. Why do I even think there is god?

2. What makes my own version of god more authentic than others'?

3. Are the stories I've been fed from childhood really through? (Now my kid brother has been asking me this particular question for some thine now).

These are just some of the many questions whose answers lead many away from the god idea, some to deism, some to other religions and others to atheism.

Something we can all agree on is that the way religion is played in Nigeria leaves much to be desired, but that is not enough reason, the worse that can lead to is a rise in the number of irreligious theists.

1 Like

Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by CatfishBilly: 8:25am On Jun 22, 2017
avaa:
Freedom. Education. Exposure.

I think at some point, every atheist before abandoning his/her god would have asked him/herself this questions...

1. Why do I even think there is god?

2. What makes my own version of god more authentic than others'?

3. Are the stories I've been fed from childhood really through? (Now my kid brother has been asking me this particular question for some thine now).

These are just some of the many questions whose answers lead many away from the god idea, some to deism, some to other religions and others to atheism.

Something we can all agree on is that the way religion is played in Nigeria leaves much to be desired, but that is not enough reason, the worse that can lead to is a rise in the number of irreligious theists.
Okay, I see your point though.
Re: Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 28, 2018
Onwardvic:

If "Goodluck Jonathan" happens to be your father but you don't want to see him, don't want to hear about him not to talk of going out with him, etal. your sole aim is how to send assassins after him, I'm sorry but a "stranger"that reads about his daily activities may need to lecture you about your father and even tell you that he once ruled Nigeria and you blame yourself for "opportunities"lost.
REPENT AND STOP DECEIVING YOURSELF AND NAIRALAND KIDS,U DEFINITELY WILL NOT LIKE THE OUTCOME AND SURELY WILL HAVE YASEF TO BLAME
Guy you deserved an award for this stupid comment..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Sins (or Crimes) Of Jesus / Attributes Of God / 20 - 20 Questions From Huxley In The Huxley-Noetic Marathon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.