Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) (15030 Views)

Water Leakage Inside Nigerian Plane While Raining (Photo/Video) / My First Time On A Nigerian Plane (hilarious) / Lagos Plane Crash: List Of Passengers & Survivors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by bagoma(f): 11:49pm On Dec 10, 2005
i simply cannot fathom this. what's seally going on?
it is alarming. God please have mercy on us. cry cry
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by medube(m): 11:49pm On Dec 10, 2005
Today another airplane (Sosoliso Airlines) has crashed in Port Harcourt, RIvers State with at least 103 dead (where 75 are school children coming home for hols).  cry

May their souls rest in perfect peace.

cry
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Oloks(m): 11:56pm On Dec 10, 2005
It is very sad that poor souls have to die in very horrible circumstance, but one thing we should appreciate is the maintenance culture in Nigeria is very poor as long as it makes money nobody really cares if it is safe, this aspect also goes to both private and commercial vehicles in Nigeria, they are mostly in very poor state, but nobody complains about it, but YOU CANNOT cut corners with airplanes, the result is always very catastrophic. For once we need to address this bad culture of ours.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by medube(m): 12:00am On Dec 11, 2005
Today another airplane (Sosoliso Airlines) has crashed in Port Harcourt, RIvers State with at least 103 dead (where 75 are school children coming home for hols). cry

May their souls rest in perfect peace.

cry
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Farriel(m): 12:11am On Dec 11, 2005
It has just been reported that a Sosoliso airline has just crashed in Port Harcourt, leaving 103 passengers killed. However, seven passengers survived the crash and are reported to have been taken to hospital, where they are reportedly responding to treatment.

This might seem like a Hollywood sort of coincidence, but I was returning from a friend's place this evening and found charred bodies been deposited at the state's University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, along Accrah street, here in the heart of Port Harcourt. The bodies were laid on the ground outside the morgue while arrangements were being made for the grim transfer of the bodies inside. Nothing brings together a lot of people than the grisly sight of death and this was clearly evident from the huge crowd gathered outside.

Which way forward for our aviation industry, guys? Two major crashes occuring within barely two months...
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by ocho(f): 2:45am On Dec 11, 2005
This is so sad indeed! May God grant thier dear souls eternal rest.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by joftech(m): 3:32am On Dec 11, 2005
It is very sad that poor souls have to die in very horrible circumstance, but one thing we should appreciate is the maintenance culture in Nigeria is very poor as long as it makes money nobody really cares if it is safe, this aspect also goes to both private and commercial vehicles in Nigeria, they are mostly in very poor state, but nobody complains about it, but YOU CANNOT cut corners with airplanes, the result is always very catastrophic. For once we need to address this bad culture of ours.

We must stop the attitude of thinking that we can avert incidents like this by our own will power. Just about 4 days ago a plane did crash into an adjourning street of a Chicago airport. Report did confirmed that the plane underwent maintenaince not more than 4 days to the crash day. Does that mean that they don't maintain their stuffs.

Things like this are beyond human comprehension, we can only pray to God to save us from situations like this.

Safety is only in God's hand.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Seun(m): 3:38am On Dec 11, 2005
According to the articles linked from this thread, Africa has for only 4% of the world's Air Traffic, yet 25% of those crashes are in Africa. This means that a plane in Africa is more than 6 times more likely to crash.

Would you attribute that to lack of prayer - meaning African countries are prayerless? No, I think it's more reasonable to conclude that the poor state of maintenance of airport facilities and a planes are strogn contributary factors in these crashes. So if the standard of airports and planes in Africa are raised to the level of the rest of the world, the number of people dying in air crashes should be reduced six times. Isn't that worth the effort?
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by sexydoll(f): 5:34am On Dec 11, 2005
may their soul rest in perfect peace amen sad.the other thing iwould like to say is that people should stop taking air plane's within Nigeria since it is not safe.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Rogbese(m): 9:54am On Dec 11, 2005
angry our transport service is in SEVERE trouble.

sad the train service is almost non-existent, ferry services suicidal, road transport dangerous and now our airline industry in complete chaos!!!

VIO officials go about harassing Nigerian motorists. Do we not have an equivalent airline body that takes care of this? Most of those planes are over 20 years old and their owners continue to push them for more income. It was said sometime ago that the luxurious bus industry always restock their fleet after a bad accident (the idea was they were using the blood of the victims for rituals). Can the same be said of the aviation industry?

75 children between the ages of 10 and 18 were on their way home for the holidays. 75 children between the ages of 10 and 18!!!

A truly sad occurrence. And slowly becoming one too many . . . cry
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Oloks(m): 10:37am On Dec 11, 2005
joftech:

We must stop the attitude of thinking that we can avert incidents like this by our own will power. Just about 4 days ago a plane did crash into an adjourning street of a Chicago airport. Report did confirmed that the plane underwent maintenaince not more than 4 days to the crash day. Does that mean that they don't maintain their stuffs.

Things like this are beyond human comprehension, we can only pray to God to save us from situations like this.

Safety is only in God's hand.

Joftech, I do believe in prayers, but you cannot leave your doors open and thinking that since you have prayed to God, your things will not be stolen. Why don't we review the maintenance level of this aircrafts, and see if all our prayers will not be answered.  We have to be objective at times like this.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by kenflavor(m): 11:40am On Dec 11, 2005
Exactly 47 days after 117 people lost their lives in a plane crash in Lisa, Ogun State, a Sosoliso Airlines DC-9 Flight 1145 from Abuja crashed at Port Harcourt  at exactly 2.08 p.m., yesterday, killing 103.

Seven of the 110 people on board the aircraft with registration number 5N-BFD were crew members while 50 were said to be students of Loyola Jesuit College,  Karu, Abuja, returning home on holidays.

God, what have we done? I am really afraid. Nairalanders, will you travel by air again?

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=35425
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Hunter(m): 11:46am On Dec 11, 2005
A very sad day. Hopefully it gets people to act on the aviation industry in nigeria (thats FAAN isn't it?)

Here's a picture of the plane that crashed (apparantly)
http://www.verbrugge-administratie.nl/images/nig068.jpg
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by demmy(m): 1:23pm On Dec 11, 2005
Please gentlemen lets not attribute this to some "power beyond comprehension" or any kind of hocus pocus explanation. There are causes and effects. When you have inefficient people at the helms, then these are the consequences. We don't need more prayer we need competent people.

Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by theORAKU(m): 2:24pm On Dec 11, 2005
The nation’s aviation sector had witness high fatality in last three months beginning with the crash of a Bellview Boeing 737 aircraft at a village in Ogun state killing 117 people on board.About three weeks ago an American registered aircraft crashed in Kaduna shortly after take off from Kaduna Airport killing two people.

This dont happen in any normal country.
Obasanjo's tenure will surely be remebered for so many things.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Greatpeter(m): 3:22pm On Dec 11, 2005
Huh! what has this got to do with Obasanjo's tenure again?
Nigerians and their reasoning sha!
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by mimmy1(f): 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2005
I just don't know whats happening in our nation. Its just too much. well, i pray that God will give the families of the victims the fortitude to bear the great lost
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by JP(m): 5:48pm On Dec 11, 2005
May the soul of all the departed rest in peace.

Why is it that our leaders don't take responsibility in Nigeria?
It's is obvious that FAAN or any organization responsable for
air traffic in Nigeria are not doing their job at all.
Under normal circumstance their boss or Aviation minister (If any) is suppose
to resign NOW right away without being ask to do so.But unfortunately,
Nigerian leaders don't take responsibility about anything.And they have never come
across the word RESIGN.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by goodguy(m): 6:17pm On Dec 11, 2005
Sosoliso Airline Plane Crash

Woman wails over three children shocked cry

Odili's nephew involved in crash sad

Rochas Okorocha escapes crash the second time. cheesy
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by sweetme(f): 7:22pm On Dec 11, 2005
May God grant them eternal rest and give their families the fortitude to bear the loss. It's really a sad story. sad
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Oracle(m): 11:53pm On Dec 11, 2005
cry cry cry cry
This year has been very tragic for Christ's sake
what is happening to Nigeria
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by hotangel2(f): 2:09am On Dec 12, 2005
And the year is coming to an end. All these still happening? Wow!
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by icingbaby(f): 3:42am On Dec 12, 2005
i was haven fun ontill i saw this thread, now i'm hurt, sad and crying. cry cry cry cry cry
may all their soul rest in perfect pace. Amen cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by layi(m): 10:23am On Dec 12, 2005
OMG!!! My adorable Pastor Bimbo Odukoya died in the crash as well cry cry cry cry cry

Even out of the 7 that were rescued, 4 had died in the hospital. cry

Gosh! cry cry cry cry
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by goodguy(m): 10:41am On Dec 12, 2005
Layi: here
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by layi(m): 10:55am On Dec 12, 2005
I've seen it. Just included it for those who didnt see the thread.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by goodguy(m): 11:17am On Dec 12, 2005
ok..This Rochas Okorocha is a very lucky man. He boarded the same plane to Abuja. And this same plane had been giving problems right from when they were about to land at Abuja airport. It was now during the flight to Port-harcourt (he wasn't there this time), when it had almost landed, that the crash occured.

I heard that the Pilot of the plane insisted at all cost that the plane engineer should be inside the plane with them. I think the plane engineer assured them that everything had been checked and that it was going to be alright. But the pilot knew something wasn't right.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Seun(m): 11:38am On Dec 12, 2005
So the lives of the 107 passengers of the plane were entrusted into the hands of one incompetent engineer who risked (and lost) his own life over a plane that wasn't in perfect condition because he felt it "will be alright".

This should remind us that we shouldn't take stupid risks just because they have paid us in the past. Just because you did something risky yesterday and nothing bad happened doesn't mean that all will be well today. It also suggest that just because someone is willing to risk his life for something doesn't mean that it is right. The pilot felt that since the engineer was willing to board the plane, then it must be alright. Now that he's too late we know he was wrong to have risked the life of the passengers just because the aircraft engineer was wiling to risk his own life.

1 Like

Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by layi(m): 11:40am On Dec 12, 2005
Another passenger who took the plane down to Abuja said they knew the plane wasnt ok from take off (in PH). The flight announcer cut short the announcement only to come back and sauy the name of the pilot was Bleep and that they are in good hands.

Later they heard huzzlin noise (like that u hear when u wind down your car windows). They got to Abuja and were just hovering round for a long time before they could land.

I wonder why they (sosoliso) still had to take such a plane back to PH again within minutes. What a risk. Which kain Nigerians be this sef?
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by Seun(m): 11:41am On Dec 12, 2005
SOSOLISO AIRLINE-FLIGHT 1145 OFFICIAL MANIFEST S/N- NAMES -TITLE- SEX

1. ABBA K. MASTER MALE
2. ADAKA K. MASTER CHILD
3. ADEBOLU O. MASTER MALE
4. ADEWOGA V. MISS FEMALE
5. ADEYEMI B. MASTER MALE
6. ADILORLY D. MASTER MALE
7. AIKONBARE O. MISS FEMALE
8. AKPAN O. MRS FEMALE
9. AKWIWU A. MR MALE
10. ALIGBA P. MRS FEMALE
11. AMACHREE O. MASTER MALE
12. AMANZE E. MISS FEMALE
13. ASARA A.P. MR MALE
14. AWAYI C. MASTER MALE
15. AWAYI U. MASTER MALE
16. BAA V. MASTER MALE
17. BABA R.Z. MISS FEMALE
18. BADEU I. MASTER MALE
19 BANIGO E.S. MR MALE
20. BUNMI AMUSAN MRS FEMALE
21. CHIGBO C. MASTER MALE
22. CHUKWUNENYE MR MALE
23. COOKEYGAM K. MR MALE
24. DANIEL KALU MASTER MALE
25. EDETH S. MRS FEMALE
26. EGWEKE U. MASTER MALE
27. EHIMOHA J. MR MALE
28. EJIKEME O. MR MALE
29. EKEFRE U.O. MR MALE
30. EKERE A.N. MR MALE
31. EKERUWA A. MASTER MALE
32. ELLAH I.A MISS FEMALE
33. EMESIOBI C. MR MALE
34. ENTE C. MR MALE
35. EZE GODWIN MR MALE
36. EZERIBE A. MR MALE
37. GBEMUDU S. MISS FEMALE
38. IBEH I. MR MALE
39. IBIAM M. MASTER MALE
40. IDABOR A. MASTER MALE
41. ILABOR B. MISS FEMALE
42. ILABOR C. MISS FEMALE
43. ILABOR M. MASTER MALE
44. ILOBI I. MRS FEMALE
45. ILOBI N. MRS FEMALE
46. IROEHAMA S. MISS FEMALE
47. KAMANU C. MASTER MALE
48. KEMARA H. MRS FEMALE
49. LAMY I. MR MALE
50. LOOLO I. MISS FEMALE
51 .MANILLA A. MRS FEMALE
52. MBA C. MR MALE
53. MBA I. MRS FEMALE
54. MOGBA M. MR MALE
55. MONAGO A. MASTER MALE
56. Njoku.l. Miss Female
57. Nkagnieme U. Miss Female
58. Nnebedum C. Master Male
59. Ntemuse E.K. Miss Female
60. Nwadei V. Miss Female
61 Nwafor O. Mr. Male
62. Nweze C. Miss Female
63. Nwigwe C. Master Male
64. Nwoko S. Miss Female
65. Nzelu C. Master Male
66. Nzenwa A. Mrs. Female
67. Obi A.N. Mr. Male
68 . Ochulo M. Mrs. Female
69. Odukoya B. Mrs. Female
70. Ofoegbu B. Mrs. Female
71. Ofor M. Mr. Male
72. Ogundipe O. Mr Male
73. Ojebode S. Mr Male
74. Okafor C.O. Master Male
75. Okemini I. Miss Female
76 . Okereke O. Miss Female
77. Okolie C. Mr Male
78. Okoro U.M. Mr Male
79. Okpe D. Master Male
80. Okuegbu I. Mr. Male
81. Okwuchi K. Miss. Female
82. Ola E. Mr. Male
83 . OLakpe C. Mr. Male
84. Onwuka U. Mr Male
85. Orbit W. Master Male
86. Oyebode M.S. Miss Female
87. Ozigbo C.C. Mr. Male
88. Ozueh P.C. Mr. Male
89. Riessa J. Mr. Male
90. Toju O. Mrs. Female
91. Tony-Okeke I. Miss Female
92. Ubah I. Master Male
93. Udeozor R. Master Male
94. Ukairo C. Master Male
95. UtukP.I. Mr. Male
96. Uzo U. Master Male
97. Uzodi B.C. Mrs Female
98. Whyte V.I. Mr Male
99. Whyte V.I. Mrs. Female
100. Wills W. Master Male
101. Zikoka U.O. Master Male Crew

CREW
1. Captain B. Adebayo Pilot Male
2. F/OGerald Andan First Officer Male
3. Joyce Egbekobar Purser Female
4. Sophia Iroegbu Cabin crew Female
5. Amaikwu Emeka Cabin Crew Male
6. Theresa Dike Cabin Crew Female
7. Akeem Odebunmi Engineer Male

108 in total, many of them children going home from their holidays. A member of this site lost friends in the crash and was almost a victim.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by stripes(m): 3:27pm On Dec 12, 2005
What an outrageous news....pity the young talents(nigerian students)
bbc even wrote on their website, that they can't get a trace of truth in nigeria.
AH! I love this country.
Re: Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) by kaylala(m): 5:26pm On Dec 12, 2005
Hi,

In my view, i think we should try and put things that are wrong right. Lets know when to associate things to God or our negligence. This tragedy was absolutely due to our carelessness either as airline operator or as a government. These were things we could have avoided. Who killed them?

We live in a region where operators runs their planes like Molue/Danfo buses. I am not saying plane crashes don't happen elsewhere but most of them are not due to stuff like bad run way, poor maintenance, malfunctioning radar system etc.

Obasanjo having a crucial meeting with the operator is a good development but must over 200 people die within 2 months before the president react? What are the standards and guidelines set for this operators before they were registered? Who checks and monitors them? I hope the meeting changes alot of things in the aviation industry. I hope someone like Soludo rises in this sector. I hope someday people will fly around the country without hearing the cracking sound of an obviously bad engine.

I read an article in bbc where Nigeria was said to have the worst air safety record. My first reaction was.....common this is not fair. It happens everywhere! But with this, i am a bit drawn to agreeing with them.

If everything is associated to God I wonder why GOD GAVE US BRAINS.I strongly belive things are changing in nigeria, slowly though, but we shall get there.

LALA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Finally In Russia!!! But.... / All Hail The New Boeing 797 / Kwara Sends Travellers Back To Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.