Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall (33629 Views)

Complete My House Or Travel Abroad? / Marlians Not Allowed In My House, Landlord Issues Warning To Tenants - More / Concerns About Visible Cracks On The Walls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 9:07am On Apr 26, 2017
architect and builders in the building pls I have pictures here showing the front view of our building
it started small and has enlarged to the extent the crack in the pics can now be viewed from inside, it's a see through.
please is there any explanation or solution to this menace?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 26, 2017
the sign is clear.

this means that the witches are trying to destroy your house spiritually though it's happening physically for you to see.

now here's what you need to do, buy insects powder, pour inside the lines and cement it.

by 12:00am, you wake up and pray on it. then finalize the prayer by pouring an olive oil on where you cemented it

count yourself a free man

go and sin no more

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by snakebeat: 9:16am On Apr 26, 2017
ekanDamie:
architect and builders in the building pls I have pictures here showing the front view of our building
it started small and has enlarged to the extent the crack in the pics can now be viewed from inside, it's a see through.
Did u buy or moulded d blocks u use for dis building? Seems the blocks were weak ones. & also the mix ratio of d mortar can also be a contributing factor.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by tellwisdom: 9:19am On Apr 26, 2017
This is what happens when you pack sands from the gutter to build a house. sad

96 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by gbegemaster(m): 9:22am On Apr 26, 2017
ekanDamie:
Sometimes caused by a fault in the foundation.

If it's a foundation fault, then patching will only provide temporary relief.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 9:24am On Apr 26, 2017
Foxyn:
the sign is clear.

this means that the witches are trying to destroy your house spiritually though it's happening physically for you to see.

now here's what you need to do, buy insects powder, pour inside the lines and cement it.

by 12:00am, you wake up and pray on it. then finalize the prayer by pouring an olive oil on where you cemented it

count yourself a free man

go and sin no more
u just wasted space being senseless. pls stop trying to be funny, u sound childish

289 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 9:25am On Apr 26, 2017
snakebeat:

Did u buy or moulded d blocks u use for dis building? Seems the blocks were weak ones. & also the mix ratio of d mortar can also be a contributing factor.
it was both molded and bought. could anything be done to stop it?

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 9:26am On Apr 26, 2017
gbegemaster:
Sometimes caused by a fault in the foundation.

If it's a foundation fault, then patching will only provide temporary relief.

hmmm. is collapse of the wall possible here whether on the short or long run?

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Juell(m): 9:27am On Apr 26, 2017
The fault is frm the foundation
OP frm what u further explained ur building has no foundation. The only permanent solution is to rebuild the house, a house without a foundation cant stand.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by haywire07(m): 9:29am On Apr 26, 2017
ekanDamie:

Man, the problem is from the foundation . It won't even stop there ,u will soon notice your window and door frames are also getting slack , your ceiling or PVC or whatever will start separating from the walls and the cracks begins to appear in another part of the wall .

Solution-
Use fillers like cement mix to fill the spaces (might be temporary too)
It could be as bad as trying to introduce a reinforced free standing concrete column if the spacing gets wider

But a long lasting but time consuming solution is what we Architects or engineers call 'underpining' - in simple terms , dig the ground till under d existing foundation (I.e the initial foundation is suspended ) then fill it with concrete, wait till it sets , then cover up .

104 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Khd95(m): 9:35am On Apr 26, 2017
Thats the entry point of ur village pplecry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Homeboiy: 9:40am On Apr 26, 2017
The foundation was laid ontop of the grave of ur grandfather
solution...buy a white pigeon, red cloth,white chalk n ogogoro
pour it on the walls of ur building,it will stop

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 26, 2017
ekanDamie:

u just wasted space being senseless. pls stop trying to be funny, u sound childish
if you like go with my advice if you like ignore

3 Likes

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by gbegemaster(m): 9:51am On Apr 26, 2017
ekanDamie:

hmmm. is collapse of the wall possible here whether on the short or long run?
Haywire.07 has said it all.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 10:44am On Apr 26, 2017
haywire07:

Man, the problem is from the foundation . It won't even stop there ,u will soon notice your window and door frames are also getting slack , your ceiling or PVC or whatever will start separating from the walls and the cracks begins to appear in another part of the wall .

Solution-
It could be as bad as trying to introduce a reinforced free standing concrete column if the spacing gets wider

But a long lasting but time consuming solution is what we Architects or engineers call 'underpining' - in simple terms , dig the ground till under d existing foundation (I.e the initial foundation is suspended ) then fill it with concrete, wait till it sets , then cover up .
thanks sir. but should d underpining be on the whole foundation? or just this part that is visibly affected.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 10:45am On Apr 26, 2017
gbegemaster:
Haywire.07 has said it all.
yes he has. thanks
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by haywire07(m): 10:46am On Apr 26, 2017
ekanDamie:

thanks sir. but should d underpining be on the whole foundation? or just this part that is visibly affected.

Just d the affected parts alone .

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by snakebeat: 11:59am On Apr 26, 2017
ekanDamie:

it was both molded and bought. could anything be done to stop it?
Guess d quantity of blocks per bay was much...Get an experienced manson to create horizontal holes along the cracked path to accommodate reinforcement of about 8-12mm at spacing of 1ft and six inches and replaster...Ensure the mortar mix for replastering is 1:4 to achieve high strength mortar. Or see if u can trim affected part & replace with concrete

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by snakebeat: 1:23pm On Apr 26, 2017
haywire07:

Solution-

Good suggestions but It may not necessary be foundation sir, weak blocks and poor mix ratio for mortar can also be a major cause of cracks in buildings when subjected to roof load. Also the type of sand that was used...

5 Likes

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 1:49pm On Apr 26, 2017
snakebeat:

Guess d quantity of blocks per bay was much...Get an experienced manson to create horizontal holes along the cracked path to accommodate reinforcement of about 8-12mm at spacing of 1ft and six inches and replaster...Ensure the mortar mix for replastering is 1:4 to achieve high strength mortar. Or see if u can trim affected part & replace with concrete
Thanks so much all for ur inputs
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Godspikin: 4:18pm On Apr 26, 2017
ekanDamie:

Your house is most probably suffering from DIFFERENTIAL SETTLING...

It's a foundation(al) problem as rightly pointed out by other posters

4 Likes

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 8:24pm On Apr 26, 2017
Godspikin:

I now know what underpining is,am still considering it. if only u could also explain what differential settling is and how to go bourit. or is it d imbalance of the motar that was used to make the foundation blocks
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by johnson232: 8:59pm On Apr 26, 2017
Godspikin:

Sir what are the possible causes of this differential settling that causes cracks?
Could it be as a result of shallow foundation? thanks.
cc haywire07
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Godspikin: 9:44pm On Apr 26, 2017
ekanDamie:

I now know what underpining is,am still considering it. if only u could also explain what differential settling is and how to go bourit. or is it d imbalance of the motar that was used to make the foundation blocks

When you erect a building, naturally, after a while it "settles" or sink... depending on the weight bearing capacity of the soil beneath your foundation...

Differential or uneven settlement occurs when the soil beneath a structure can not bear the weights imposed. The settlement of a structure is the amount that the structure will “sink” during and after construction. Differential settlements become a big problem when the foundation settles unevenly.

I am not saying this is the ACTUAL problem you have but the MOST PROBABLE cause of cracking... The soil type in your site can give more clues...

12 Likes

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by EfeEj(m): 10:10pm On Apr 26, 2017
Here's a solution that night work,

Cut open the cracks to be wide enough. Use a cutting machine to make it neat and controllable.

Fix steel reinforcement to go down to the foundation and cast the concrete mix.

If symptoms persists then there's trouble with your foundation.

I hope this helps,

Arc. Efe

2 Likes

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by johnson232: 10:26pm On Apr 26, 2017
Godspikin:

When you erect a building, naturally, after a while it "settles" or sink... depending on the weight bearing capacity of the soil beneath your foundation...

Differential or uneven settlement occurs when the soil beneath a structure can not bear the weights imposed. The settlement of a structure is the amount that the structure will “sink” during and after construction. Differential settlements become a big problem when the foundation settles unevenly.

I am not saying this is the ACTUAL problem you have but the MOST PROBABLE cause of cracking... The soil type in your site can give more clues...
Which means d bearing capacity of d soil is responsible for differential settlement?
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 11:47pm On Apr 26, 2017
Godspikin:

thanks so much for your explanation. I must say that the soil is loamy. the water tabel is high and we had to change d direction of the building to the upper part of the land.

where the water table is a bit fair. but even at that, u can't dig 6 feet without coming in contact wid water.
based on your foundation settling explanation. I think it has a fair chance of causation for d cracks,cos der was not money for direct concrete for the foundation.
so we played blocks and filled them with concrete. maybe that wasn't enough.
since 95% of the contents here have been linked to the foundation.

I can't vouch for the strongness of the blocks used too. it was much of a rush building tho we tried to make best of what we have. fashola was on rampage in Lagos then so we had to do something fast n within budget out from d normal plan.

but is there a correction for differential settling?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 11:50pm On Apr 26, 2017
EfeEj:
Here's a solution that night work,

Cut open the cracks to be wide enough. Use a cutting machine to make it neat and controllable.

Fix steel reinforcement to go down to the foundation and cast the concrete mix.

If symptoms persists then there's trouble with your foundation.

I hope this helps,

Arc. Efe

thank u arc Efe. I would lay all this options to those I would call so d best option will be employed

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Godspikin: 12:10am On Apr 27, 2017
johnson232:

Which means d bearing capacity of d soil is responsible for differential settlement?

Bearing capacity is one of the reasons, foundation type is another... but most times having a knowledge of the bearing capacity can help you in putting a suitable foundation type in place...

The essence of doing Geotechnical tests in some sites(especially for big projects, such as high rise buildings) is to ascertain the properties of the soil to design appropriate foundations for it...

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Godspikin: 12:16am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:

thanks so much for your explanation. I must say that the soil is loamy. the water tabel is high and we had to change d direction of the building to the upper part of the land.

where the water table is a bit fair. but even at that, u can't dig 6 feet without coming in contact wid water.
based on your foundation settling explanation. I think it has a fair chance of causation for d cracks,cos der was not money for direct concrete for the foundation.
so we played blocks and filled them with concrete. maybe that wasn't enough.
since 95% of the contents here have been linked to the foundation.

I can't vouch for the strongness of the blocks used too. it was much of a rush building tho we tried to make best of what we have. fashola was on rampage in Lagos then so we had to do something fast n within budget out from d normal plan.

but is there a correction for differential settling?

Going by the way you described how the foundation was done, I am afraid i don't know the solution... except to manage it as some experts as earlier advised...

The saying goes... if d foundation be faulty what can the righteous (the house owner) do??

Next time endeavour to employ the services of experts, it pays in the long run... (The way you described the way the foundation was done does not show the person who handled it knew what he was doing, there is no need to cut corners with the foundation of a house... It is a very important part of the building....)

7 Likes

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ekanDamie: 12:25am On Apr 27, 2017
Godspikin:

Going by the way you described how the foundation was done, I am afraid i don't know the solution... except to manage it as some experts as earlier advised...

The saying goes... if d foundation be faulty what can the righteous (the house owner) do??

Next time endeavour to employ the services of experts, it pays in the long run... (The way you described the way the foundation was done does not show the person who handled it knew what he was doing, there is no need to cut corners with the foundation of a house... It is a very important part of the building....)
hmmm. I agree
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by jbkomo(m): 7:08am On Apr 27, 2017
E

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Building Collapses In Obalende, Lagos. 4 Dead / Building Collapses In Sango Police Barracks, Ibadan, Oyo State (Video) / Properties In Port Harcourt Destroyed After A Heavy Rainfall (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.