Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,584 members, 7,823,528 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall (33695 Views)

Complete My House Or Travel Abroad? / Marlians Not Allowed In My House, Landlord Issues Warning To Tenants - More / Concerns About Visible Cracks On The Walls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Okundaye4(m): 7:41am On Apr 27, 2017
snakebeat:

Did u buy or moulded d blocks u use for dis building? Seems the blocks were weak ones. & also the mix ratio of d mortar can also be a contributing factor.

What do you advise? I mean which one is better? the you mould or the one you buy?
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by tuscani: 7:42am On Apr 27, 2017
The sand to cement ratio was poor. Too much sand to cement
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by maxnedu11(m): 7:45am On Apr 27, 2017
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Adegbulugbe(m): 7:46am On Apr 27, 2017
The main problem might not be the exact place the wall is opening,but there is a place foundation is failing due to imperfection which makes the load rest on the walls and the lower load bearing capacity area of the walls is the one cracking.
Solution:Get a good mason,let them crack the sides of the opening area and dress with good mix,note(it not the final solution but to detect where the fault comes from).another place will open again very sure.repeat the same procedure on and on until you see where the opening comes up again after dressing.then you do a very good reinforcement there.thats all.this process might take time but it beter you do a permanent solution than temporal.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by tuscani: 7:46am On Apr 27, 2017
One solution during the building would have been that, after the foundation, you put waterproof bags on top and then build on it. Just for next time
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Zulu212: 7:47am On Apr 27, 2017
Foxyn:
the sign is clear.

this means that the witches are trying to destroy your house spiritually though it's happening physically for you to see.

now here's what you need to do, buy insects powder, pour inside the lines and cement it.

by 12:00am, you wake up and pray on it. then finalize the prayer by pouring an olive oil on where you cemented it

count yourself a free man

go and sin no more
Jesus Christ of Ubiaja....wetin concern ordinary crack for wall and witches

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by UnimkeAk(m): 7:47am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:
architect and builders in the building pls I have pictures here showing the front view of our building
it started small and has enlarged to the extent the crack in the pics can now be viewed from inside, it's a see through.
please is there any explanation or solution to this menace?
Couldnt view the pics
But cracks appear most times due to differential settlement(the soil didnt sink uniformly) of the sub grade or say soil in which ur foundation sits upon , thereby creating cracks... Swelling can also cause cracks but that rarely happenings given the type of soil.
But for ur solution
Cut out lines/opennings across the cracks at say 15cm spacing , then place diameter 6 or 8 mm rods in those lines 40cm to the right and 40cm to the left of the cracks then apply grout and seal.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by soloehis(m): 7:48am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:
architect and builders in the building pls I have pictures here showing the front view of our building
it started small and has enlarged to the extent the crack in the pics can now be viewed from inside, it's a see through.
crack the areas that is affected..put quarter rod there and cover it up with cement..and it will hold its peace for ever
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Zulu212: 7:49am On Apr 27, 2017
Pls start looking for another apartment before this walls falls on you
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Ninilowo(m): 7:49am On Apr 27, 2017
It's a foundation problem called SETTLEMENT. A situation where the rate of movement of the foundation is not even. Unfortunately we lack the technology to repair foundation in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by isaacsegun(m): 7:50am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:
Thanks so much all for ur inputs

man u have said it all,that is what i wanted to say but no need again

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ladygerry: 7:50am On Apr 27, 2017
It can be either of these two
1) The foundation wasn't allowed to settle properly before the DPC
2) The blocks used for the foundation isn't strong.
Solution: Crack an opening in that position and introduce a column from the substructure there. Using the appropriate reinforcement. That's my humble opinion
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Juliearth(f): 7:54am On Apr 27, 2017
Is the area waterlogged? This looks like DPC(damp-proof course) failure considering that the wall looks wet and soiled...the cracks could be as a result of a fault in the foundation. If that is the case,then be prepared to plaster yearly because the cracks wont stop appearing.

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by arcahmad(m): 7:54am On Apr 27, 2017
There may be 3 factors that lead to this crack and each one has its on remedy;

1. Foundation
2. Block
3. Loading

1. Foundation. Before you start building ur house u hav to make sure that u seek advice from professionals in that field to know the type of foundation that is suitable for your site. Foundation defect can be corrected by underpinning and undershoring. This involve the digging out of another foundation at intervals. There is no need to demolish the wall rather than it is done beside the wall untill u reach the previous depth of the foundation. From there u will add like 3ft and fill it with concrete. Then go back to your wall and patch it u can even reinforce it with rod by tying like 2 coarses
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by upnefa(m): 7:54am On Apr 27, 2017
oh...dis is a moud house now,like my papa for village dey do if such tin happen....go bush cuts some fat big woods and use den to hold d house as a piller if not start packing
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by transient123(m): 7:55am On Apr 27, 2017
Where did this start from? Up, middle or bottom. If bottom, then it's a foundation problem, if up of middle, weak blocks are responsible.

Get a professional to analyze it for remedy.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by innie77(m): 7:58am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:

Good Morning,

From the pictures sent if the cracks started from the top ie the ceiling area it means that the walls couldn't carry the roof load.

And if it starts from the bottom it shows that the foundation is faulty.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by UnimkeAk(m): 8:00am On Apr 27, 2017
snakebeat:

Good suggestions but It may not necessary be foundation sir, weak blocks and poor mix ratio for mortar can also be a major cause of cracks in buildings when subjected to roof load. Also the type of sand that was used...
Roof load is neglible, its not a foundation issue, its a damn strip for that matter(blinding and block work)... Poor soil conditions are clearly written all over those cracks....
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by wayodude(m): 8:04am On Apr 27, 2017
it looks like subsidence to me. not good.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by arcahmad(m): 8:05am On Apr 27, 2017
2. Block. This is caused by poor batching ( mixing ratio) of the cement and sand and also the type of sand used in making the block. This problem can be solved by properly plastering the block wall to make sure water does no penetrate inside which in-turn dissolve the block there by affecting its stability. Also reinforcement is good if added

3: Load. This can occurs when there is too much load usually from the roof. This can be corrected by initiating seperate stancion columns to supports the roof. I hope this will help
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Elle277(f): 8:06am On Apr 27, 2017
The foundation is not strong or Maybe the roots under the earth are not well uprooted

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by bomsilaga(m): 8:06am On Apr 27, 2017
Pm me and I will try to help for free!
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by dadexcel: 8:10am On Apr 27, 2017
snakebeat:

Did u buy or moulded d blocks u use for dis building? Seems the blocks were weak ones. & also the mix ratio of d mortar can also be a contributing factor.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 27, 2017
It's always good to run some geotechnical tests before building.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Soulsymbol99: 8:24am On Apr 27, 2017
Ur huz get stretch marks grin

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by vicben27(m): 8:29am On Apr 27, 2017
d problem is a settlement problem frm the foundation! this could b as a result of nt reachin d adequate depth during trench excavation to a load bearin strata! i also believ d blocks us ar nt solide enough!

solution: simple, get a good mason who knws his job! buy some reinforcement robs y10 or y12. let him or an iron bender cut d bars into regular sizes dependin on d spread of d cracks, d walls should b chiseled horigontally or diagonally wide enough for the rods to fit in! d mason shud prepare a solide mix of mortar(cement , sand and water) or concret( but mortar is more flexible because of its workability) d mix wil be used to fill up the holes created for d rods to fit it! after all dis is done n its all dried up d mason can go ahead to plaster if ur lucky do wud give u a permanet fix ! it wrks for mst cases i've used it many time on the site! talkin frm yrs of experience
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Motolank: 8:35am On Apr 27, 2017
tellwisdom:
This is what happens when you pack sands from the gutter to build a house. sad
Hell no
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:
First your foundation is weak. You can strengthen or reinforced it, by erecting strong concrete pillars to remove the mass weight of the building away from the former foundation base.
From the picture posted, the building may have depreciated by age
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Jonwesley(m): 8:38am On Apr 27, 2017
Hello people, I have similar cracks in my bungalow, but only along three corners of my walls, where the block wall join other wall at corners of the building from down to up, not directly on the face walls as this case. Kindly help explain probable cause and how to remedy it.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Orpe7(m): 8:39am On Apr 27, 2017
Poor building materials shikena.
But if i want to go my spiritual brothers way, then i would say the witches in ur village are trying to gain access to u grin
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Onyemaboy(m): 8:42am On Apr 27, 2017
Check if their is a tap rooted tree around or very close 2 d building. Trees like mango, pear, orange etc can have such effect on a building.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by lonelydora: 8:44am On Apr 27, 2017
tellwisdom:
This is what happens when you pack sands from the gutter to build a house. sad

Hahahahaha. Omo, abeg explain to him nah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Owner Of Mansion Swept Away By Flood In Anambra Threatens To Kill Himself (Photo / FG To Lease Unoccupied Private Houses Nationwide - Fashola / Man Returns Home And Met His Apartment On Fire In Owerri (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.