Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,866 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall (33698 Views)

Complete My House Or Travel Abroad? / Marlians Not Allowed In My House, Landlord Issues Warning To Tenants - More / Concerns About Visible Cracks On The Walls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Jonwesley(m): 8:47am On Apr 27, 2017
haywire07:

Man, the problem is from the foundation . It won't even stop there ,u will soon notice your window and door frames are also getting slack , your ceiling or PVC or whatever will start separating from the walls and the cracks begins to appear in another part of the wall .

Solution-
Use fillers like cement mix to fill the spaces (might be temporary too)
It could be as bad as trying to introduce a reinforced free standing concrete column if the spacing gets wider

But a long lasting but time consuming solution is what we Architects or engineers call 'underpining' - in simple terms , dig the ground till under d existing foundation (I.e the initial foundation is suspended ) then fill it with concrete, wait till it sets , then cover up .

Hello people, I have similar cracks in my bungalow, but only along three corners of my walls, where the block wall join other wall at corners of the building from down to up, not directly on the face walls as this case. Kindly help explain probable cause and how to remedy it.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ucheo: 8:50am On Apr 27, 2017
Please my people I started noticing this cracks in my house of barely 1 year. it spreads any were windows are down to the ground...all the windows.
The area is waterlogged and we applied all the caution like casting of founation to 2 ft level.

kindly advise way forward ...some engrs. I called are saying it should be settling some are saying cement mixing.

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ogundeleai(m): 8:53am On Apr 27, 2017
It is possible that since it occur outside wall, it may be failure. From plastering as a result of too loose of sharpness of the sand use.
If crack now go deep to cover block, then it might be failure from foundation..
Do notice present or level of the crack frequently If there's constant or further cracking consult an experienced expert
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Jonwesley(m): 8:53am On Apr 27, 2017
EfeEj:
Here's a solution that night work,

Cut open the cracks to be wide enough. Use a cutting machine to make it neat and controllable.

Fix steel reinforcement to go down to the foundation and cast the concrete mix.

If symptoms persists then there's trouble with your foundation.

I hope this helps,

Arc. Efe

Hello Arc Efe, I have similar cracks in my bungalow, but only along three corners of my walls, where the block wall join other wall at corners of the building from down to up, not directly on the face walls as this case. Kindly help explain probable cause and how to remedy it.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by bellotaofeek: 8:55am On Apr 27, 2017
the gods are angry with you ....LOL.

Actually it could be from your builders . The cement they used may be less than the required amount .
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by YONIK: 8:58am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:
architect and builders in the building pls I have pictures here showing the front view of our building
it started small and has enlarged to the extent the crack in the pics can now be viewed from inside, it's a see through.
please is there any explanation or solution to this menace?
From my own little civil engineering Understanding d crack is as a result of crack from d foundation/ground
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Godspikin: 9:21am On Apr 27, 2017
johnson232:

thanks alot

You are welcome sir
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 27, 2017
there is settlement issues in the soil the building is upon hence the cracks. i also think if you had done a concrete foundation you wont experience this much cracks from the settlement.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by chineselink: 9:34am On Apr 27, 2017
It's faulty foundation!
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by sheunflexy(m): 9:43am On Apr 27, 2017
It's either the foundation is faulty or the blocks use for the construction are weak, I will advice you to create a column at the particular space,with that problem solved.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by snakebeat: 10:05am On Apr 27, 2017
Okundaye4:

What do you advise? I mean which one is better? the you mould or the one you buy?
If u can get a reliable place where u can get good vibrated blocks, buying is better...but if u can't get quality vibrated blocks, i advise u mould to be more sure of the quality.

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by snakebeat: 10:06am On Apr 27, 2017
UnimkeAk:

Roof load is neglible, its not a foundation issue, its a damn strip for that matter(blinding and block work)... Poor soil conditions are clearly written all over those cracks....
Very true sir

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by illumiaconcept: 10:07am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:
architect and builders in the building pls I have pictures here showing the front view of our building
it started small and has enlarged to the extent the crack in the pics can now be viewed from inside, it's a see through.
Good morning, first of all this cracks were caused by differential settlement (uneven settlement) of various soil strata underneath the building....the reason why the tear is vertical from top to bottom is not only because of the differential settlement but because this building doesnt have a "chained" up lintel and no dpc (german floor)...to cut the long story short, it is correctable either by underpinning that portion of the building or the entire exterior wall off the building which should carried out by an expert and its more expensive but the ideal thing to do OR you crack the walls at 500mm spacing (interval)and introduce a 1.5m long U bent 16mm reinforcement horizontally in each from top to bottom, before covering it up with mortar...this method is cheaper and requires a bit of technicality...either ways, its professionally adviced to do the correction with an expert and at the same time always follow building standards when constructing instead of entrusting your property in the hands of artisans (advanced bricklayer/quacks)...
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by oluseyieweh: 10:11am On Apr 27, 2017
when you are building the house, you did not put any pillar and the roof weight is just directly on the house and as the house grow old the wall continue to weak and that is why the crack happened.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by talk2odim: 10:12am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by AyodejiJ: 10:16am On Apr 27, 2017
Foxyn:
the sign is clear.

this means that the witches are trying to destroy your house spiritually though it's happening physically for you to see.

now here's what you need to do, buy insects powder, pour inside the lines and cement it.

by 12:00am, you wake up and pray on it. then finalize the prayer by pouring an olive oil on where you cemented it

count yourself a free man

go and sin no more
this is so funny...can't stop laughing
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by talk2odim: 10:17am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:

I am not a construction engineer so i will be speaking from my personal experiences on site. It is usually caused by what is referred to as "dead weight." This usually occurs ( i am relying on the cracks as described by you) when the substructured esp the walls are forced to carry more load that their design. I presume u didn't engage a structural engineer in your building process cos itz one of the things they help prevent.
One of the ways to control this ( though may be relatively expensive) would be to introduced "pillar" in strategic places within the walls of the stucture which would serve as "load carriers."
Once done u can then patch the cracks. Kindly seek further options.

NB
This is if you are sure your foundation wasn't compromised!

Cheers.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by AyodejiJ: 10:20am On Apr 27, 2017
illumiaconcept:
Good morning, first of all this cracks were caused by differential settlement (uneven settlement) of various soil strata underneath the building....the reason why the tear is vertical from top to bottom is not only because of the differential settlement but because this building doesnt have a "chained" up lintel and no dpc (german floor)...to cut the long story short, it is correctable either by underpinning that portion of the building or the entire exterior wall off the building which should carried out by an expert and its more expensive but the ideal thing to do OR you crack the walls at 500mm spacing (interval)and introduce a 1.5m long U bent 16mm reinforcement horizontally in each from top to bottom, before covering it up with mortar...this method is cheaper and requires a bit of technicality...either ways, its professionally adviced to do the correction with an expert and at the same time always follow building standards when constructing instead of entrusting your property in the hands of artisans (advanced bricklayer/quacks)...
You just spoke my mind. Pls every nairalandite should consult construction expert when you wish to build your house. Do not look at the professional fee as a waste, cos it is not one. You will be glad you do. You can contact me for your boq preparation, cos I am a quantity surveyor with a seal

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by AyodejiJ: 10:23am On Apr 27, 2017
talk2odim:

I am not a construction engineer so i will be speaking from my personal experiences on site. It is usually caused by what is referred to as "dead weight." This usually occurs ( i am relying on the cracks as described by you) when the substructured esp the walls are forced to carry more load that their design. I presume u didn't engage a structural engineer in your building process cos itz one of the things they help prevent.
One of the ways to control this ( though may be relatively expensive) would be to introduced "pillar" in strategic places within the walls of the stucture which would serve as "load carriers."
Once done u can then patch the cracks. Kindly seek further options.

Cheers.
I think you're wrong sir, those cracks on the wall is as a result of settlement in the soil or an uneven settlement. And poor soil type, non compacted soil or earth, and refusal to have a German floor laid are few reasons for what you're seeing
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by code9(m): 10:43am On Apr 27, 2017
from my experience, cracks like these are usually caused as a result of vibrations or a shift in the foundation work or superstructure work. It is usually a result of improper foundation being carried out especially when proper blinding and poor mixture of mortar is used.

Also, the quality of the block can cause this issue. When the load on the block is much. it just cracks and this dives down continuously.

When building a house always follow the proper engineering principle and follow your architects and builders recommendation to avoid these issues. Do you know that some houses like this one could have been built from the foundation all the way up without even doing proper DPC/flooring before commencing the superstructure.

What you can do to arrest this situation is to perform some re-enforcements on the crack. You can crack the open the cracked lines, insert a corrugated rod (more like rod that has been welded with branches to it). Insert the rod into the spaces and properly cement it with solid mortar mixture.

I heard that the direction of the line (vertical, slanting or horizontal) can give a pointer on the root cause. Don't know much about that though. I leave it to the Civil engineers to answer. :v:

ucheo, ekanDamie
Ask and more answers to this comment here:
https://huddleberry.com/d/81-please-who-can-explain-this-visible-cracks-on-my-house-wall
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by oluwaseun2015(m): 10:50am On Apr 27, 2017
Thanks for the professionals advice. One of the thing we should always take note in erecting building is Nature and type of the soil. The soil nature and types can be properly investigated by Geotechnic engineers. This will tells us the soil bearing capacity level, the type of foundation and the height of foundation to be adopted. The cracks around the building is a sign of soil consolidation or soil settlement which tell us that, the building is experiencing settlement. Over time it may cause serious problem and risk involve for the the occupants. For more advice and professional solution call: 08038342481.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ivoryhouse(m): 10:50am On Apr 27, 2017
ekanDamie:
Can you take pictures showing where the cracked wall meets the floor/foundation.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by kelewu359(m): 10:52am On Apr 27, 2017
There are several factors that can cause your structure cracking
(1)Your foundation depth may not be deep enough to carry the load coming on top I.e the super structure.
(2) May be you use a non load bearing/non vibrated blocks that can adequately carry imposing load
(3)Type of roof you use not considering the bearing capacity of the soil
(4)vibration effect depending on your site location.
(5)Movement of the crack, if it is moving from foundation level towards opening
(6)ADVICE: You need to consult building Engineer for proper inspection and recommend an adequate solution, don't just go for underpinning as the technicality of this is good but need serious supervision
(7) If all these enumerated above are not a serious issue, look for an experience bricklayer to help you spread wire gauze metal firmly nailed across all the crack with a good area coverage and plaster, it may be the simplest solution to stop the cracks.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ivoryhouse(m): 10:53am On Apr 27, 2017
ucheo:
Please my people I started noticing this cracks in my house of barely 1 year. it spreads any were windows are down to the ground...all the windows.
The area is waterlogged and we applied all the caution like casting of founation to 2 ft level.

kindly advise way forward ...some engrs. I called are saying it should be settling some are saying cement mixing.
Post more pictures and show the base of the wall. This will help ascertain the source of the cracks
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by ivoryhouse(m): 11:00am On Apr 27, 2017
Basically, if a crack runs through the wall,lintels and 'dpc' the fault is from the foundation and the fix will be expensive. Filling the cracks with mortar will not help much. If it doesn't go through the above, have a mason crack and fill the whole. If the cracks are very thing(cobweb-like) and don't pass through the wall, they may be as a result of the mortar mix ratio. When painting, have your painter use crack fillers on the wall and apply paint. If the crack reoccurs then apply wall screeding and paint or plaster the wall and apply paint. Goodluck
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by merxi55(f): 11:50am On Apr 27, 2017
Foxyn:
the sign is clear.

this means that the witches are trying to destroy your house spiritually though it's happening physically for you to see.

now here's what you need to do, buy insects powder, pour inside the lines and cement it.

by 12:00am, you wake up and pray on it. then finalize the prayer by pouring an olive oil on where you cemented it

count yourself a free man

go and sin no more
hmmm Na wa oh. ..when people make comments. .it easier to tell where there're from.. .
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by haywire07(m): 12:13pm On Apr 27, 2017
johnson232:

Sir what are the possible causes of this differential settling that causes cracks?
Could it be as a result of shallow foundation? thanks.
cc haywire07
Ekandamie

Differential settling is natural. I can say its almost unavoidable . In simple terms it means the ground on which the foundation rests is sinking 'randomly' . When a part of the ground sinks, the foundation that rests on that part will sink too ." so the sinking occurs differentially"

Its worse in marshy grounds because the soil is soft during rainy season .
Settling occurs on stable grounds too that's one of the reasons why we usually use ground beams
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by haywire07(m): 12:21pm On Apr 27, 2017
Jonwesley:

Hello people, I have similar cracks in my bungalow, but only along three corners of my walls, where the block wall join other wall at corners of the building from down to up, not directly on the face walls as this case. Kindly help explain probable cause and how to remedy it.
Most likely
1. You didn't use columns at the corners of your buildings
2. Even if you didn't use columns at the appropriate positions, you didn't use a beam to tie your walls .
Your walls are 'separating' because there is nothing to tie them together . You would have used a perimeter beam round the entire wall course either at lintel level or a roof beam .
The perimeter beam only needs to run on the exterior walls alone .

I can also suggest you use concrete Fins.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by talk2odim: 12:23pm On Apr 27, 2017
AyodejiJ:
I think you're wrong sir, those cracks on the wall is as a result of settlement in the soil or an uneven settlement. And poor soil type, non compacted soil or earth, and refusal to have a German floor laid are few reasons for what you're seeing

Maybe you didn't observe the part where i said, it is pressumed on if the foundation wasn't compromised!
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by Olulinks(m): 12:26pm On Apr 27, 2017
I'm still waiting to read your solution to the matter raised, sir. All am still seeing from you is a reminder of the problem or the likely cause but the OP needs a possible way out sir.
chemystery:

Cracks are caused by expansion which is as a result of high magnesia and/or free lime in the cement used.
High magnesia and/or freelime translates to poor quality cement.

Forget about those telling you about foundation.

I'm neither an architect nor a civil engineer nor a builder but
I'm a cement/building material expert.
Re: Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall by gr8minds: 12:55pm On Apr 27, 2017
as a construction professional, I think its a problem in foundation, which is called settlement, and the only visible solution for now could be underpinning, which means foundation repair(to be sincere with you, it is expensive).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Owner Of Mansion Swept Away By Flood In Anambra Threatens To Kill Himself (Photo / FG To Lease Unoccupied Private Houses Nationwide - Fashola / Man Returns Home And Met His Apartment On Fire In Owerri (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.