Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit (9442 Views)

Buhari Government: 2900 Payments Worth N51bn Paid Into Personal Accounts– BudgIT / We Spent N2.75tn On Power, Roads In Two Years – FG / Kano, Katsina, Rivers And Lagos Can Pay Salaries Without Borrowing - BudgIT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by DrogoG(m): 3:30am On Apr 27, 2017
Many rounds of looting spree!!

1 Like

Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by k9ine(m): 5:35am On Apr 27, 2017
This is fiscal irresponsibility of the highest order.
How does the FG keep pumping funds to states that cannot account for it. If Buhari were a company MD would he keep authorising funds for directors who are failing in their business unit?
Buhari's FG is just dashing our national patrimony to it's political sons called governors.
This is a well organized stealing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by wink2015(m): 5:46am On Apr 27, 2017
The bail out fund are just palliative measure just to keep things cool for the moment. But it will not help the receiving state to move ahead as most of this money end up in the personal account of some politician including the governor of the receiving state.

I think Nigeria should quicken up the restructuring process which I want the northern region to agree to.

Agriculture should be intensively funded.

Many states have neglected Agriculture and this is a professional that is bound to employ hundreds of graduate and school leavers.

The agro-allied industry should also be established to serve as back up industry to the farms to help in the processing of the Agro-allied product into finished goods.

I want to say that former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan neglected agriculture at the federal level and he never encouraged states to develop their agriculture and it is the same pattern President Buhari is following where he made himself Minister of Petroleum.

If Agriculture is heavily funded across the 6 geopolitical zones in the country it will help Nigeria to get on a fast track into its desire goal of industrialization

The northern governors that look toward oil money for their upkeep of their state will now be looking towards agriculture.

Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by mapet: 8:31am On Apr 27, 2017
Blue3k:
The federal government are failures you handed the states a bunch of money without scrutiny. They blatantly disregard conditions and transparency rules and you rush to hand them more. Honestly it's insane how alot of Nigerians worship their Governors and don't seem concerned with the lack of transpency they give with their tax money.

Now the states need to be forced by law to give account of their funds. The state assembly are a bunch of stooges alot of the time. Bowing down like in Benue groveling to their demi god governor.

Everything in Red explains why curruption is so strong despite a war on it.

Bailouts from 2015-2017
N338 billion
N575 billion
N92.18 Billion
N7.85 billion
N3.6 billion
N117.3 billion
N522.74 billion

There is a legal angle you "conveniently" overlooked. The law actually prevents the FG from "dictating" how state funds are disbursed once it hits the state accounts. The FG's power stops at the point where the monies still resides at Central Bank. This is the lacuna most states explored.

The FG had their banks against a wall, in the face of backlog of salaries unpaid, that brought hardship on people. So they had no choice but to release tranches of the bailout. It is the people that will suffer if the go too hard, hence the option of releasing the bailout and hope to catch those governors and their cronies through relevant institutions and process.

But we should ask ourselves. How many of the governors that accessed the bailout had published details of its use? How many had welcomed the idea to be audited? If they do not have skeletons in their cupboard, why not publish the details like Aregbesola did?
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by mapet: 8:35am On Apr 27, 2017
Blue3k:
You people are truly lazy didn't read anything but feel need to comment because u want front page likes. Lol saying good to wasteful spending and opaque fiscal polices.

You guys missed bolded section that said the federal government isn't keeping state government accountable and still handing out cash. Lol partisan politics make yall dumb. Maybe yu guys just want attention at all cost.

Legally, the money belonged to both the Federal and state govt ab-initio, as such it was going to be shared anyways. To forestall occurrences like this in the future, we need frameworks (legal and procedural) that will address how bailouts should be utillised and deterrence processes for misuse

1 Like

Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by mapet: 8:38am On Apr 27, 2017
nkemjacob2:

Garrithe1st: :
When people complain of hardship they're fond of looking in the direction of FG. Meanwhile the FG has done a lot to assist states both APC and PDP to meet up with their obligations.

Those who complain do not ask what their Governors are doing with their allocations. They're not calling on their State Governors to free the Local Government from their Satanic grips. The LG which is meant to bring governance to the grassroots has been hijacked by most Governors while the mumu followers look like hypnotized sheepies.

Rivers State budget of 2016 and 2017 is only known to Wike and his gang of Ex Militants called honourables in the State Assembly.

God Bless Buhari and APC for all they're doing to help the States and their numerous strides in alleviating the sufferings of ordinary Nigerians AKA the masses.

God Bless Buhari...

God Bless APC....

Thunder fire all our yam eaters..
do u no how ur governor spend his?

I can tell you how my governor spent his

[b]Osun: How Aregbesola spent N34.5 billion bailout funds - Labour, Banks

The labour unions in Osun State and banks that received and disbursed the N34.5 billion bailout funds on behalf of the state government have exonerated Governor Rauf Aregbesola on the deployment and utilization of the money.

The labour union leaders and bank officials and others who appeared before the House of Assembly during the probe of the bailout fund said the money was used for the payment of arrears of salaries and allowances of workers in line with the Central Bank of Nigeria's (CBN's) guidelines and directives.

The Chairmen of Osun State Chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Jacob Adekomi, Joint negotiation Council (JNC), Mr Bayo Adejumo, and the Nigeria Union of Teacher (NUT), Wakeel Amuda, told the House that they monitored the disbursement of the fund and insisted that the money was used to pay salaries and allowances.

According to them, the labour unions and the state government agreed on how to spend the bailout fund and the government respected the agreement by spending the fund in line with the CBN guidelines.

The labour union leaders explained that pensioners were not supposed to partake in the fund but the benefited because they were considered owing to magnanimity of the Governor Aregbesola.

The House of Assembly in a statement by the Chairman, House Committee on Information and Strategy, Olatunbosun Oyintiloye, had summoned the labour leaders and recipient banks to appear before the House as part of the probe.

The representatives of the banks, Adebayo Yakub (First Bank), Musbau Oyeniran (Wema Bank) and Ola Adedeji (Zenith Bank) also told the House that the money was disbursed appropriately.

Presenting the analysis of the fund, the Accountant-General said, the state government had requested for N64,327,492,947.01 to cover salaries, allowances, pensions and gratuities, but the CBN approved only N25,871,920,000 to cover just salaries and allowance, leaving out pension and gratuities.

"No fund was released for pension and gratuity despite the fact that we included it in our letter to the CBN. We explained this to the pensioners repeatedly but they did not believe us."
The labour unions in Osun State and banks that received and disbursed the N34.5 billion bailout funds on behalf of the state government have exonerated Governor Rauf Aregbesola on the deployment and utilization of the money.

The labour union leaders and bank officials and others who appeared before the House of Assembly during the probe of the bailout fund said the money was used for the payment of arrears of salaries and allowances of workers in line with the Central Bank of Nigeria's (CBN's) guidelines and directives.

The Chairmen of Osun State Chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Jacob Adekomi, Joint negotiation Council (JNC), Mr Bayo Adejumo, and the Nigeria Union of Teacher (NUT), Wakeel Amuda, told the House that they monitored the disbursement of the fund and insisted that the money was used to pay salaries and allowances.

According to them, the labour unions and the state government agreed on how to spend the bailout fund and the government respected the agreement by spending the fund in line with the CBN guidelines.

The labour union leaders explained that pensioners were not supposed to partake in the fund but the benefited because they were considered owing to magnanimity of the Governor Aregbesola.

The House of Assembly in a statement by the Chairman, House Committee on Information and Strategy, Olatunbosun Oyintiloye, had summoned the labour leaders and recipient banks to appear before the House as part of the probe.

The representatives of the banks, Adebayo Yakub (First Bank), Musbau Oyeniran (Wema Bank) and Ola Adedeji (Zenith Bank) also told the House that the money was disbursed appropriately.

Presenting the analysis of the fund, the Accountant-General said, the state government had requested for N64,327,492,947.01 to cover salaries, allowances, pensions and gratuities, but the CBN approved only N25,871,920,000 to cover just salaries and allowance, leaving out pension and gratuities.

"No fund was released for pension and gratuity despite the fact that we included it in our letter to the CBN. We explained this to the pensioners repeatedly but they did not believe us."[/b]
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by nkemjacob2(m): 9:20am On Apr 27, 2017
mapet:

oga not in dis country
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by nkemjacob2(m): 9:20am On Apr 27, 2017
mapet:

oga not in dis country
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by mapet: 9:34am On Apr 27, 2017
nkemjacob2:
oga not in dis country

It is in the public domain. The state government release it to the public. Even the opposition has not been able to fault the details

That is a challenge to other governors

1 Like

Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by 5oyad: 10:28am On Apr 27, 2017
Just imagine if that 1.75tr was pumped into agriculture and agroprocessing
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by Blue3k(m): 11:22am On Apr 27, 2017
mapet:

There is a legal angle you "conveniently" overlooked. The law actually prevents the FG from "dictating" how state funds are disbursed once it hits the state accounts. The FG's power stops at the point where the monies still resides at Central Bank. This is the lacuna most states explored.

The FG had their banks against a wall, in the face of backlog of salaries unpaid, that brought hardship on people. So they had no choice but to release tranches of the bailout. It is the people that will suffer if the go too hard, hence the option of releasing the bailout and hope to catch those governors and their cronies through relevant institutions and process.

But we should ask ourselves. How many of the governors that accessed the bailout had published details of its use? How many had welcomed the idea to be audited? If they do not have skeletons in their cupboard, why not publish the details like Aregbesola did?

Excuses man save them for children. These's were bailouts and had certain conditions beforehand releasing cash. You do the same thing for 2 yrs straight people don't operate with conditions and still shill for them.

It's like saying Buhari us handing out block grants to state governments for road construction. Buhari releases first round to states and they spend on Agriculture instead. The money had conditions and purposes as mentioned by article. The federal government allowed itself to be taken for a ride.

mapet:

Legally, the money belonged to both the Federal and state govt ab-initio, as such it was going to be shared anyways. To forestall occurrences like this in the future, we need frameworks (legal and procedural) that will address how bailouts should be utillised and deterrence processes for misuse

The first 2 were debt package loans by federal government if I'm reading correctly. The last was Paris club. The rest came from normal allocations that were released early. They haven't enforced rules of they're agreement full stop.

It's obvious they are currupt with cash that why I don't care for these demi god governors and their lackies.

Ps: It's was 2015-2017 Buhari as head of party didn't think to strengthen legislation? If they need PDP votes just reach across isle and negotiate.
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by mapet: 12:23pm On Apr 27, 2017
Blue3k:

Excuses man save them for children. These's were bailouts and had certain conditions beforehand releasing cash. You do the same thing for 2 yrs straight people don't operate with conditions and still shill for them.

It's like saying Buhari us handing out block grants to state governments for road construction. Buhari releases first round to states and they spend on Agriculture instead. The money had conditions and purposes as mentioned by article. The federal government allowed itself to be taken for a ride.

You're just making unnecessary brutish conjectures, without resorting to facts. I have pointed you to the sections of the law and would have expected you to address that. The states countered the FG that they are legally are not answerable to FG on how they disbursed the bail-out. I was wondering if you had any answers to that. Were we all not in this same country when many of the unpaid workers cries were so loud? The money had conditions, yet to what extend where they enforceable under the current laws. Fayose could not account for what he did with the first tranch, yet was able to "bully" the FG into releasing another, when it was witheld, simply told his people that the FG was the reason he is unable to pay salaries.

The first 2 were debt package loans by federal government if I'm reading correctly. The last was Paris club. The rest came from normal allocations that were released early. They haven't enforced rules of they're agreement full stop.

The bail-out consisted of refunds from Paris Club on over-charges on previous debt servicing and part of Nigeria's equity return on NLNG's profits. Both does not belong exclusively to the FG. The states have rights to monies from both sources

It's obvious they are currupt with cash that why I don't care for these demi god governors and their lackies.

Ps: It's was 2015-2017 Buhari as head of party didn't think to strengthen legislation? If they need PDP votes just reach across isle and negotiate.

Your arguements are deviod of fact-based detail, hence I am not surprised that it is more emotion-laden
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by mathias2000(m): 12:37pm On Apr 27, 2017
governor of bayelsa state, Dickson refuge to pay the civil servants in the state, local government councils 10months, state workers 7months, EFCC were are u people,please come to bayelsa and arrest the governor, he used to put the billions inside indomie cartoon
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by justitiaomnibus(m): 12:56pm On Apr 27, 2017
This huge amount from an empty treasury? we should be praying for our treasury to be empty and never full.
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by Blue3k(m): 12:56pm On Apr 27, 2017
mapet:

[s]You're just making unnecessary brutish conjectures, without resorting to facts. I have pointed you to the sections of the law and would have expected you to address that.[/s] The states countered the FG that they are legally are not answerable to FG on how they disbursed the bail-out. I was wondering if you had any answers to that. Were we all not in this same country when many of the unpaid workers cries were so loud? The money had conditions, yet to what extend where they enforceable under the current laws. Fayose could not account for what he did with the first tranch, yet was able to "bully" the FG into releasing another, when it was witheld, simply told his people that the FG was the reason he is unable to pay salaries.

Use the quote function correctly. I'm not surprised you want to defend Buhari at all cost. Champion of irresponsible bailouts. I did answer that with the fact they money had conditions before hand being disbursed. You can't do opposite after you get money and then you hand them a second round brilliant. Weak leadership.

You can accept money from federal government agree to deal and break it. That's fraudulent and trying argue different. No I was not in country when workers were crying I don't live in Nigeria. What extra law do you need to force states to honor their contractal obligation to fund. Again if you do this for 2 yrs straight and don't rally to solve issue it's just excuses at end of day.

mapet:
The bail-out consisted of refunds from Paris Club on over-charges on previous debt servicing and part of Nigeria's equity return on NLNG's profits. Both does not belong exclusively to the FG. The states have rights to monies from both sources

Ok
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by mapet: 1:09pm On Apr 27, 2017
Blue3k:

Use the quote function correctly. I'm not surprised you want to defend Buhari at all cost. Champion of irresponsible bailouts. I did answer that with the fact they money had conditions before hand being disbursed. You can't do opposite after you get money and then you hand them a second round brilliant. Weak leadership.

You can accept money from federal government agree to deal and break it. That's fraudulent and trying argue different. No I was not in country when workers were crying I don't live in Nigeria. What extra law do you need to force states to honor their contractal obligation to fund. Again if you do this for 2 yrs straight and don't rally to solve issue it's just excuses at end of day.

Ok

Bros,

1. You can be civil and argue with facts or rather be take the "knock-your-head-against-a-wall" approach as you're doing and argue incoherently....... either ways your choice
2. The money had conditions that contravened a basic principle in law, that the FG cannot dictate how state disbursed funds paid into state's account. I see you struggle to rationalize that. It is unnecessary to remind us that it had condition. That was in the public domain. What the Kemi Adeosun's team did not bargain for is that states will evoke the section of the law that prevents the FG from superintending over how monies in the state will be spent. So if we have such complexity in the law, shouldn't the drift of your arguement address how we can disentangle the complexity rather than belabour us unnecessarily with arguments that is more of your anger than cogent analysis?
3. You want to force states to obey terms of an agreement that was dead-on-arrival? That is what the states argued and now have the edge on. The agreement was seemingly invalidated the constitution. Someone should have pointed that out to the ministry of Finance.
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by Blue3k(m): 1:29pm On Apr 27, 2017
mapet:

Bros,

1. You can be civil and argue with facts or rather be take the "knock-your-head-against-a-wall" approach as you're doing and argue incoherently....... either ways your choice

2. The money had conditions that contravened a basic principle in law, that the FG cannot dictate how state disbursed funds paid into state's account. I see you struggle to rationalize that. It is unnecessary to remind us that it had condition. That was in the public domain. What the Kemi Adeosun's team did not bargain for is that states will evoke the section of the law that prevents the FG from superintending over how monies in the state will be spent. So if we have such complexity in the law, shouldn't the drift of your arguement address how we can disentangle the complexity rather than belabour us unnecessarily with arguments that is more of your anger than cogent analysis?

3. You want to force states to obey terms of an agreement that was dead-on-arrival? That is what the states argued and now have the edge on. The agreement was seemingly invalidated the constitution. Someone should have pointed that out to the ministry of Finance.

1. I am being civil did I insult u. The facts I did state multiple times. You shilling for Buhari’s administration incompetent after 2 yrs is sad.

2. What you fail to get is it contradiction in the actions of the states. You want to accept money with conditions but want to invoke law that would negate thowe conditions. That's why I brought block grant example. Honestly if you accept cash with conditions that should imply you don't have right to invoke that law. We can argue this all day like lawyers but that's my arguement.
Dude I did address bolded point. When I brought up conditions. I guess I should have spelled it out for u. Again they had 2 years to think about this a whole staff that works with him thinking about law and policy.

3. I don't agree conditions are unconstitutional. If they are don't bother with bailouts. These states ran themselves into ground anyway. They should go to court answer that question.

Second he should of attempted to get his party to pass a law. I thought APC controls both houses at time.
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by mapet: 2:20pm On Apr 27, 2017
Blue3k:

1. I am being civil did I insult u. The facts I did state multiple times. You shilling for Buhari’s administration incompetent after 2 yrs is sad.

2. What you fail to get is it contradiction in the actions of the states. You want to accept money with conditions but want to invoke law that would negate thowe conditions. That's why I brought block grant example. Honestly if you accept cash with conditions that should imply you don't have right to invoke that law. We can argue this all day like lawyers but that's my arguement.
Dude I did address bolded point. When I brought up conditions. I guess I should have spelled it out for u. Again they had 2 years to think about this a whole staff that works with him thinking about law and policy.

3. I don't agree conditions are unconstitutional. If they are don't bother with bailouts. These states ran themselves into ground anyway. They should go to court answer that question.

Second he should of attempted to get his party to pass a law. I thought APC controls both houses at time.

1. Who tells you you don't have the right to invoke a superseding law? Even a non-lawyer should know that.

2. They have two years to do what exactly? What was the over-aching objective? was it not to solve a lingering problem of financial challenges in states especially backlog of salaries? Will you then place conditions of utilization over an overwealming requirements at that time? You need to understand that things needed to be balanced and actions taken should be expedient.

3. The FG did not have exclusive preserve over the funds. It was going to be shared anyways. That it came in form of bail-out was just to target it at a cause. So your argument to withold the bailout is not valid. States have gone to courts wrt FG witholding funds accruable to them in the past and have won. Lagos State took FG to court when OBJ witheld LG funds, and Supreme court's judgement was that FG had no rights over the state funds; so that arguement is also flawed
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by Blue3k(m): 2:51pm On Apr 27, 2017
mapet:

1. Who tells you you don't have the right to invoke a superseding law? Even a non-lawyer should know that.

2. They have two years to do what exactly? What was the over-aching objective? was it not to solve a lingering problem of financial challenges in states especially backlog of salaries? Will you then place conditions of utilization over an overwealming requirements at that time? You need to understand that things needed to be balanced and actions taken should be expedient.

3. The FG did not have exclusive preserve over the funds. It was going to be shared anyways. That it came in form of bail-out was just to target it at a cause. So your argument to withold the bailout is not valid. States have gone to courts wrt FG witholding funds accruable to them in the past and have won. Lagos State took FG to court when OBJ witheld LG funds, and Supreme court's judgement was that FG had no rights over the state funds; so that arguement is also flawed

1. You wave rights if you accept cash, you can do that. Even non lawyer knows you can have other party agree to that.

2. 2 yrs to figure out problem. The gave out like 5 bailouts at multiple times they had time to think and bring solutions. Stop making excuses for incompetent practices.

The overall goal was to meet shortfall aswell as improving transparency and accountability is to publish the annual budget and quarterly budget implementation reports.

3. Budget Support Facility (BSF), which is a Conditional Loan Programme to state governments. This wasn't going to be shared hence why government could with hold as they needed to example being Fayose. Your example of Lagos would count for this one.

Fiscal Sustainability Plan had already agreed to conditions so again I labour they waved rights.

Thirdly, it should be stressed that state governors unanimously approved the FSP. The governors agree that further financial support under the FSP should be conditional upon independently verified attainment of 22 conditions.

Source: https://guardian.ng/opinion/fiscal-sustainability-plan-and-matters-arising/

Honestly if you see wisdom in this kind of irresponsible bailouts I guess we at an impass.
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by nkemjacob2(m): 10:23pm On Apr 28, 2017
mapet:

It is in the public domain. The state government release it to the public. Even the opposition has not been able to fault the details

That is a challenge to other governors
what state is that
Re: FG Has Provided N1.75tn Extra-statutory “bailout” Fund To States – Budgit by mapet: 9:03pm On Apr 29, 2017
nkemjacob2:
what state is that

(1) (2) (Reply)

INEC Officials Colluding With Gov Emmanuel, Akpabio Alleges / IDPs Protest Over Food In Maiduguri / Reps Raise 2020 Budget To N10.6 Trillion From N10.33 Trillion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.