Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,213 members, 7,839,126 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Why Nigeria needs State/local police forces (Read bold parts) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria needs State/local police forces (Read bold parts) (2126 Views)

Plateau State Local Government Elections Result as announced by PLASIEC / Oyo State Local Government Elections 2018 (Live Updates) / Photos Of A Local Police Station In Kaduna That Have Gone Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria needs State/local police forces (Read bold parts) by EVarn(m): 8:20am On Jul 05, 2017
davidif:

Bros, it doesn't matter. If you commit a crime in Texas and you flee to New York and are arrested there they usually send you back to Texas so jurisdiction don't mean much as their is a federal database and if you truly want to get rid of this so called tribalism then get rid of the stupid concept called "State of Origin". It is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of. It's the reason that after all this year's Nigeria is still not United. How can an ibo guy born and raised in Abeokuta be told he is not from Ogun state simply because his father is from somewhere else. Mind you the guy probably goes to his so called father's state of origin once a year (Christmas or easter). The stupidity of that concept is mind boggling at times.
Nigeria is not America,our demographics are more dynamic and volatile,and we have to plan along those unique lines.
As for the state of origin stuff,I am against it too.
Re: Why Nigeria needs State/local police forces (Read bold parts) by davidif: 5:26pm On Jul 05, 2017
EVarn:
Nigeria is not America,our demographics are more dynamic and volatile,and we have to plan along those unique lines.

And that's why we decentralize power with those minority group and one form of that is giving them the authority to protect themselves by forming their own security apparatus like a police force. Sorry bro but the pros here are much bigger than the cons.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria needs State/local police forces (Read bold parts) by EVarn(m): 6:13pm On Jul 05, 2017
davidif:

And that's why we decentralize power with those minority group and one form of that is giving them the authority to protect themselves by forming their own security apparatus like a police force. Sorry bro but the pros here are much bigger than the cons.
Granting everyone a police force simply to make them happy will not solve anything,it will rather blossom into a national disaster.
What Nigeria needs is fiscal federalism,the local governments need to accomplish financial maturity first,before we talk about independent security.
Re: Why Nigeria needs State/local police forces (Read bold parts) by davidif: 7:16pm On Jul 05, 2017
EVarn:
Granting everyone a police force simply to make them happy will not solve anything,it will rather blossom into a national disaster.
What Nigeria needs is fiscal federalism,the local governments need to accomplish financial maturity first,before we talk about independent security.

And you know this How? The British model was for localities to have there own police force and it worked. This model we are pursuing has been a complete and utter failure. I say go back to what worked. Its not about appeasing about people but about sound policy.

Also, like I said earlier, the best way for a child to learn how to walk is for the kid to WALK. Stop carrying this local govts and force them to stand on their own feet. If they fall then they will get up and keep trying. Bumps and bruises are all part of the process. #letthebabywalk

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria needs State/local police forces (Read bold parts) by EVarn(m): 9:35pm On Jul 05, 2017
davidif:

And you know this How? The British model was for localities to have there own police force and it worked. This model we are pursuing has been a complete and utter failure. I say go back to what worked. Its not about appeasing about people but about sound policy.
Also, like I said earlier, the best way for a child to learn how to walk is for the kid to WALK. Stop carrying this local govts and force them to stand on their own feet. If they fall then they will get up and keep trying. Bumps and bruises are all part of the process. #letthebabywalk
One problem with you guys is that you want to copy everything from the US,guess what?,Nigeria is a heterogenous country of over 200 ethnics nationalities all vying for political relevance.
Local police can only work with fiscal federalism.
Re: Why Nigeria needs State/local police forces (Read bold parts) by davidif: 9:59pm On Jul 05, 2017
EVarn:
One problem with you guys is that you want to copy everything from the US,guess what?,Nigeria is a heterogenous country of over 200 ethnics nationalities all vying for political relevance.
Local police can only work with fiscal federalism.

And what exactly does that mean?

I have said local govt or communities should be able to raise revenue from local property taxes (taxes on property you own like land or the house you own and not the one you rent) then those should be used to provide schools, emergency services, roads, policing etc. That's how things are supposed to be and it sure beats the status quo.
Goodness gracious! Now I am seeing why we have such poor leaders in our country. The leaders are so afraid to make decisions because of the possible setbacks (that may or may not happen) that the changes might bring so they just decide to remain in the same boat while its slowly sinking. Talk about indecision at its worst. Paralysis by analysis.
A leaders job is to analyse things, look at the pros and the cons, make a decision and not get too caught up in the weeds. Indecisiveness can be fatal and so is attempting to please everybody. Leadership is about taking risks. If all you are concerned with are the possible disadvantages of an action then I am sorry you are not a leader. The job is about taking risks and taking responsibility for tgem if they don't work out. Anyone can make suggestions but it takes a real leader to make the right decisions even when information is limited or when there are no good options on the table.
Re: Why Nigeria needs State/local police forces (Read bold parts) by EVarn(m): 11:36pm On Jul 05, 2017
Mr davidif,your assertions are emotional,and emotions do not grow countries.You wont be the one to clean up the mess if it all blows up in our faces.
It is the job of a leader to examine problems,and bring in practical solutions,not romantic fantasies that will end up getting 200 tribes at each others' throat.I believe in trial and error approach to democracy,I believe in sometimes taking critical risks,but,there are some things that once broken,cannot be fixed.
Look at the OPC vigilante group,the Isakaba vigilante group,the niger delta vigilante militias; all these groups are armed vigilante groups from different regions,their initial purpose was to help the police in maintaining internal security in their different states,but do you know the death and chaos they have caused so far?,tribalism and religious intolerance has even caused these groups to clash on many occassions,destroying lives and property,is that what you call leadership?,can you contemplate the implications of this scenario on a grand scale?.
Re: Why Nigeria needs State/local police forces (Read bold parts) by davidif: 11:50pm On Jul 05, 2017
EVarn:
Mr davidif,your assertions are emotional,and emotions do not grow countries.You wont be the one to clean up the mess if it all blows up in our faces.
It is the job of a leader to examine problems,and bring in practical solutions,not romantic fantasies that will end up getting 200 tribes at each others' throat.I believe in trial and error approach to democracy,I believe in sometimes taking critical risks,but,there are some things that once broken,cannot be fixed.
Look at the OPC vigilante group,the Isakaba vigilante group,the niger delta vigilante militias; all these groups are armed vigilante groups from different regions,their initial purpose was to help the police in maintaining internal security in their different states,but do you know the death and chaos they have caused so far?,tribalism and religious intolerance has even caused these groups to clash on many occassions,destroying lives and property,is that what you call leadership?,can you contemplate the implications of this scenario on a grand scale?.

Wrong! The vigilantes did not work because they were a bunch of street thugs who were not accountable to the people hence the rampaging and the looting (sorry, but you can't let the wolf guard the hen house). This guys were not hired via a formal training system or qualification process. There was hardly any organizational structure and their means of investigation was using juju to find criminals. Big difference from a trained police hired from a highly qualified candidate pool and paid by the people with occassional oversight from the state. If Indonesia and India can do it then so can Nigeria. Where there is a will there is a way shikena.

Politics is the art of the possible - Otto von Bismarck.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Civil Disobedience Will Continue Until The Govt Bows – Nnamdi Kanu / Nnamdi Kanu Prepares For Kuje Prison As President Arrives Today / Americans Blast Biafran Agitator Over Buhari Post On Texas Storm Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.