Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,988 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Can You Name 20 African Heads Of States That Where Or Are Outstanding - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can You Name 20 African Heads Of States That Where Or Are Outstanding (521 Views)

Reno Omokri: Heads Of Executive, Legislature, Judiciary, Army Northern Muslims / List Of States That Can Survive Without Federal Allocation By BudgIT / Buhari Holds Bilateral Meeting With African Heads Of State & President Macron(pi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Name 20 African Heads Of States That Where Or Are Outstanding by ponti93(m): 8:58am On Apr 30, 2017
Sunday Musing...
Yesterday morning, I listened to a TED talk by Professor George Ayeety

In the course of the talk, Professor Ayeety stated that Africa has had 204 heads of State since 1960 and challenged us to name just 20 of them who were excellent and outstanding.

To be honest, my mind went blank after mentioning Nelson Mandela, julius Nyerem and Kwame Nkrumah. I couldn't even name five and here's why:

If there was ever an excellent government, it hasn't been visible to me.

By paying a security man or a security company to watch over my premises in addition to various prayers for protection, I provide my own security.

By installing an inverter or purchasing a generator which I have to fuel everyday for production to go on so demands can be met, I provide my own electricity.

By having to dredge my own borehole for reliable water supply, I also provide my own water.

If I provide my own security, electricity and water, I clearly a government on my own.

Let me help put this in proper context.

Do you know that the Mo Ibrahim prize for Achievement in African Leadership which was launched in 2006, eleven years ago, has only been awarded FOUR times?

In declining to make an award last year, the Foundation in its statement said that "the Prize is intended to highlight and celebrate truly exceptional leadership, which is UNCOMMON by its very definition"

The real question to ask here is why exceptional leadership is UNCOMMON in Africa?

As Africa's Cheetah generation, it is our duty to make the uncommon common, to make the Mo Ibrahim Foundation spoilt for choices, to make government visible in every home, to rewrite the story of Africa and create the change we so desperately seek.

As Young Africans, we need to write our own stories, said by former head of state abusalam, plan our own future and live our dreams.

We are what we are today, not because of the government but in spite of it.

So like Ayeety, I'm throwing out this challenge today. If you can, please list ten outstanding and exceptional African heads of state you know.

I will be looking forward to learning more about our African history, because without a history my generation will be doomed....
Copied frm mazi ifeanyi udensi on facebook

Re: Can You Name 20 African Heads Of States That Where Or Are Outstanding by dingbang(m): 9:00am On Apr 30, 2017
Tanzania's current president.. Ten times more effective than all the Nigerian leaders put together.
Re: Can You Name 20 African Heads Of States That Where Or Are Outstanding by ghettowriter(m): 9:01am On Apr 30, 2017
This might sound funny..but.. Its easier to name bad African leaders than the good ones cheesy
Re: Can You Name 20 African Heads Of States That Where Or Are Outstanding by Chikelue2000(m): 9:24am On Apr 30, 2017
dingbang:
Tanzania's current president.. Ten times more effective than all the Nigerian leaders put together.
exclude the honourable late NNAMDI Azikiwe
Re: Can You Name 20 African Heads Of States That Where Or Are Outstanding by EVarn(m): 10:25am On Apr 30, 2017
Currently,we have:
1.Paul Kagame of Rwanda.
2.Uhuru Kenyatta of Kenya.
3.Yoweri Museveni of Uganda was doing well during his early days in office,but he seem to have derailed.
4.The current presidents of Tanzania and Ethiopia seem to be very popular and idealistic.
5.Hery Rajaonarimampianina of Madagascar.
6.Dany Faure of Seychelles.
Re: Can You Name 20 African Heads Of States That Where Or Are Outstanding by babyfaceafrica: 11:58am On Apr 30, 2017
Mandela,kuffor,ghadaffi,kwame krumah and nyerere
Re: Can You Name 20 African Heads Of States That Where Or Are Outstanding by ponti93(m): 5:14pm On May 01, 2017
So no one could name even ten

(1) (Reply)

Appeal Court Upholds The Constitution Of Inquiry to probe Ameachi / Edo PDP: Desperation Over Election Petition- Vanguard / Clarion Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.