Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,811 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! (6449 Views)

Weather Forecast Across Nigeria Today / Bad Weather Grounds Flights Across The Country / How Have The Recent Gale-force Winds Affected You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Tats(m): 7:23pm On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

should I sell you guys some ice scrapers over there?
Please tell me you didnt drive the car like that- all covered in snow. Quite dangerous, because the snow on the roof can fall on the windshield while you're driving.

Exactly what happened to me this evening! Luckily, it occured when I stepped on the brake just before a roundabout. Managed to get the snow off using my wipers as it had scattered all over my windshield, bonnet, and on the road. It was about 7 inches on my car roof. I had nearly run out of groceries and had to go to the store to get some.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

should I sell you guys some ice scrapers over there?

Please tell me you didnt drive the car like that- all covered in snow. Quite dangerous, because the snow on the roof can fall on the windshield while you're driving.

Tpia, those shots of my car were taken on an airfield.

Though, a lot of folk think nothing of driving with a thick slab of snow on the roof. My car's parked in the garage overnight, so no chance of snow building up on her before my drive to work.

It must have reached 13" in some places, and still falling as I type.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jan 09, 2010
I've slipped way too many times  sad

But then again although I'm not usually one to catch giggles at the expense of others, seeing other people trip does slightly get to me, I swear it's like swan lake sometimes, just not as practiced, obviously cheesy
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 09, 2010
we get 5 months of sub-zero temps and heavy snow every year . . . we're so used to it that its a complete surprise that some have an entire thread to the cold in the UK. cheesy
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jan 09, 2010
davidylan:

we get 5 months of sub-zero temps and heavy snow every year . . . we're so used to it that its a complete surprise that some have an entire thread to the cold in the UK. cheesy
Lol amateurs aren't we? cheesy
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by mamagee3(f): 8:26pm On Jan 09, 2010
Where I live this weather is a blessing
It's always hot over here, so I think this weather is the best
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 09, 2010
mama-gee:

Where I live this weather is a blessing
It's always hot over here, so I think this weather is the best

What state is that?
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jan 09, 2010
Tats:

Exactly what happened to me this evening! Luckily, it occured when I stepped on the brake just before a roundabout. Managed to get the snow off using my wipers as it had scattered all over my windshield, bonnet, and on the road. It was about 7 inches on my car roof. I had nearly run out of groceries and had to go to the store to get some.

Siena:

Tpia, those shots of my car were taken on an airfield.

Though, a lot of folk think nothing of driving with a thick slab of snow on the roof. My car's parked in the garage overnight, so no chance of snow building up on her before my drive to work.

It must have reached 13" in some places, and still falling as I type.

I've skidded seriously  in the snow a few times in the past while driving.

Saying my life flashed before my eyes is an understatement.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by WAVixen: 8:56pm On Jan 09, 2010
pics to large sad
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by mamagee3(f): 8:57pm On Jan 09, 2010
davidylan:

What state is that?

Texas.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 09, 2010
Tats:

Exactly what happened to me this evening! Luckily, it occured when I stepped on the brake just before a roundabout. Managed to get the snow off using my wipers as it had scattered all over my windshield,  bonnet, and on the road. It was about 7 inches on my car roof. I had nearly run out of groceries and had to go to the store to get some.

Aha . . . not used to the snow i guess? Here everyone has scrapers in the trunk. Every morning work out consists of scraping snow and ice off your car from Dec - April.
At a point 28 deg F is warm weather here.

mama-gee:

Texas.

You probably dont get as much snow as we do.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jan 09, 2010
I carry a scraper in my car, but haven't had to use it yet. At work, my car's under cover too. At most, a quick squirt of de-icer does the trick, if I parked in the open, and had a build-up of snow.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by mamagee3(f): 9:52pm On Jan 09, 2010
davidylan:

You probably dont get as much snow as we do.

Where do you live?
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jan 09, 2010
mama-gee:

Where do you live?

NY
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Bidemi1997(f): 10:26pm On Jan 09, 2010
Over here in Kent is very bad. Snowed in all around. The world is surely coming to an end.

Come Lord Jesus come!
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Moyola(f): 10:28pm On Jan 09, 2010
Bidemi1997:

Over here in Kent is very bad. Snowed in all around. The world is surely coming to an end.

Come Lord Jesus come!

LOL & F!! grin

Kent! - Yall got electricity now? tongue
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Moyola(f): 10:31pm On Jan 09, 2010
I cant imagine maself slippin'. . .'d prolly juz lay there 'til sm1 cumz along embarassed tongue
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 09, 2010
Moyola:

I cant imagine maself slippin'. . .'d prolly juz lay there 'til sm1 cumz along embarassed tongue

Hahaha! I doubt you'd lie there for long - the cold will surely galvanise you into action. wink
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by spikedcylinder: 11:16pm On Jan 09, 2010
There was news of a woman in Yorkshire who froze to death in her garden.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nija4Life(m): 11:20pm On Jan 09, 2010
spikedcylinder:

There was news of a woman in Yorkshire who froze to death in her garden.

How come she froze to death, does she live on her own?
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jan 09, 2010
Really bad in the home counties.

I was doing less than 40MPH this afternoon and I almost caused an accident as the car skidded off to the other lane.

Boy. . . . was I scared!
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jan 09, 2010
OMO IBO:

Really bad in the home counties.

I was doing less than 40MPH this afternoon and I almost caused an accident as the car skidded off to the other lane.

Boy. . . . was I scared!

shocked grin lack of experience. Get an AWD vehicle or buy snow tires.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by bluespice(f): 12:02am On Jan 10, 2010
Moyola:

LOL & F!! grin

Kent! - Yall got electricity now? tongue
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

i shouldn't laugh as hard as i did grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 12:25am On Jan 10, 2010
davidylan:

shocked grin lack of experience. Get an AWD vehicle or buy snow tires.

I agree with the lack of experience.

The car is fairly new and got the 'snow drive' function but i failed to put it on . . .  .thought i'd take it out for a spin.

No way am i buying snow tyres. Heard they wear out a lot faster than normal tyres.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 7:46am On Jan 10, 2010
braking when a car skids isnt advisable, as the car can veer off into a tailspin or into another lane.

scary experience.

You're supposed to take your foot off the brake instead, in conditions of extreme ice when the vehicle is skidding.

na prayer dey matter pass sha.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by chiogo(f): 7:48am On Jan 10, 2010
It's nothing for me since I'm on vacation, don't really have to go out early in the morning. But the weather is even worse in school, way colder than this city.
Gosh, I remember those days! Scraping the snow off the wind shield can be a pain in the butt.

Here is covered in snow right now, it's about 4 degrees.  grin I should take pics.
I feel bad for homeless people.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 10:33am On Jan 10, 2010
I seldom use my brakes at all in snow. The trick is to leave good space between yourself and the car in front. And anticipate when he / she's slowing down, at lets say a junction. Then, you ease up on the gas pedal, so the car will roll to a natural stop (with thick snow, it'll stop early). You may of course lightly touch the brake pedal, so the car behind at least knows you're coming to a stop.

And, always move off in second gear. First applies too much torque, and is likely to spin the wheels, RWD cars are worse for this, as the rear end tends to "kick sideways" if too much torque is applied. I have gone into spins, but just eased off the gas, and steered the car right. If you're good at drifting, you can still barrel down a snow-fielled road at 60 MPH, going slightly sideways, with opposite lock, great fun, but not for the inexperienced.

Don't apply more gas, if you're in mid-bend, as the car will oversteer badly (RWD) or understeer (FWD) AWD will give the most neutral handling, and also worth noting, manual transmission gives the best control in snow and icy conditions. Some auto's may have a "snow" function, but it's pretty unpredictable, and is a compromise between regular "drive" and manual.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 10:50am On Jan 10, 2010
Siena and Tilapia. . . . Thanks.
Una try.

I have always known of driving in higher gear in snow but it is something i've never ever adhered to.
I've learnt my lesson.

I almost pissed in my pants when it happened.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 10, 2010
OMO IBO:

I have always known of driving in higher gear in snow but it is something i've never ever adhered to.
I've learnt my lesson.

Well, brace yourself - the bad weather's set to continue well into next week.

Better adhere to the "high -gear" pullaway, else you'll probably have quite a few "brown trouser" moments! cheesy
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by debosky(m): 8:01pm On Jan 10, 2010
If you don't need to drive then don't. Too many people over-estimate their driving abilities and under-estimate the difficulties of driving in sub zero weather.

Unfortunately, since these occasions are rare in the UK, it doesn't really make sense to get snow tires. In Canada you'd have your snow tires from about November and they considerably reduce the handling issues presented by driving on icy/snow covered roads.

I remember a couple of years ago when I braked sharply after a blizzard. . . .I ended up straddling the entire road. Thank goodness it was a quiet road in the village of Lakefield. . . .I might've ended up being with my grannies by now.

Here on the south coast it hasn't been too bad I must say - apart from two or three doses of snow, all we've had are the sub zero temperatures, still nowhere to the blood freezing -30C I used to get regularly in Canada.

Best advice is if going on long road trips, have enough fuel, pack warm clothing and a winter survival pack - charged mobile, flask full of hot drink (not alcohol grin) some sand/kitty litter and a shovel.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Jaybee2412(m): 8:16pm On Jan 10, 2010
t
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Jaybee2412(m): 8:41pm On Jan 10, 2010
These pictures are taken recently in East London

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need To Travel This Year / Nigerians In Malta / Please Which Bank Gives PTA In Less Than 24hrs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.