Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? (59020 Views)

You Maybe Setting Yourself Up For A Faster Death / How To Make The Perfect Jollof Rice W/chicken Tomato Stew & Fried Plantains! / Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by DOnlooker(m): 7:26am On Jan 08, 2010
Hello Ppl.
Does anyone know how to get plantains ripe fast ?
Thanks
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Nobody: 9:03am On Jan 08, 2010
Tie them in a thick nylon or sack.It needs heat to ripe quickly
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by DOnlooker(m): 12:10pm On Jan 08, 2010
toba:

Tie them in a thick nylon or sack.It needs heat to ripe quickly
Thanks Toba
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by AmakaOne(f): 3:36pm On Jan 08, 2010
you could wrap them in a brown paper bag or newspaper and keep them in a dark place for a couple of days
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 08, 2010
if you want it faster, lets say two days maximum. the first day, put a cabide in the midst of the plantain and wrap tight in a thick nylon, then cover with either a cloth or a sack. make sure there is no space for air to come thru. the next day, around the time you covered the plantain open and remove the cabide change the nylon because its gonna be wet. this time around cover the plantain without the cabide but the same procedure. the next day your plantain is fresh ripe. \

hope this help

1 Like

Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by aladesuyi(m): 4:29pm On Jan 08, 2010
spread d plantain in d sun, d boil water and make it warm and pour it on d spread plantain. then leave in d sun till evening and pack in a sack till following morning.
see d effect d following day.

1 Like

Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by DOnlooker(m): 7:53am On Jan 09, 2010
aladesuyi:

spread d plantain in d sun, d boil water and make it warm and pour it on d spread plantain. then leave in d sun till evening and pack in a sack till following morning.
see d effect d following day.
Thanks dude, but unfortunately I haven't seen the sun in more than a week now, if I try the spreading aspect, all I will get is deep frozen green plantains here in Europe !
Thanks sha, I will try that next summer.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by DOnlooker(m): 8:00am On Jan 09, 2010
napolie:

if you want it faster, lets say two days maximum. the first day, put a cabide in the midst of the plantain and wrap tight in a thick nylon, then cover with either a cloth or a sack. make sure there is no space for air to come thru. the next day, around the time you covered the plantain open and remove the cabide change the nylon because its gonna be wet. this time around cover the plantain without the cabide but the same procedure. the next day your plantain is fresh ripe. \

hope this help
2 days seems very fast indeed, but how do I get cabide over here ? That's some explosive, right ? Hmmm, think Mutallab. I ain't going to no jail.

1 Like

Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by DOnlooker(m): 8:04am On Jan 09, 2010
AmakaOne:

you could wrap them in a brown paper bag or newspaper and keep them in a dark place for a couple of days
Thanks ! I am following your recommendations right now.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Mannylex(m): 12:56pm On Jan 09, 2010
Put the plantain in a sack, then put the sack inside a cooler, within 2-3days, it should be ripe.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jan 09, 2010
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Biabeke(f): 12:06am On Jan 10, 2010
Put the plantains in a bag with one or two apples cut into pieces. The apples will speed the ripening process. I learned this from working in a Nigerian restaurant in Atlanta.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Materese: 8:01pm On Jan 11, 2010
You an also try putting them together in an air-tight plastic bag with other kinds of climacteric fruits that are already undergoing the ripening stage (giving off ethylene) e.g. Bananas, paw-paw, cantaloupe. Then store in a dark place (like your kitchen cupboard).

1 Like

Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Akpojeweo: 3:01pm On Jun 09, 2011
Talking about plantain ,can someone in the house link me to where i can supply large quantity of plantain? You can direct me to markets, organisations, institutions, websites or what have you.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by ihejimagha(f): 12:45pm On Jan 11, 2013
the best is for u to pour warm water on the plantain, put it on a nylon and tie and put it on a sack too. if the plantain is matured, the next day u will get ur results.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Tenderly1(f): 3:16pm On Jan 13, 2013
D-Onlooker:

2 days seems very fast indeed, but how do I get cabide over here ? That's some explosive, right ? Hmmm, think Mutallab. I ain't going to no jail.
if you love your healthy life,dnt eva use cabide.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by emilyone(f): 2:49pm On Jan 14, 2013
whats is cabide?
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by bolorunfem(f): 2:51pm On Jan 15, 2013
emilyone: whats is cabide?
Google it, dearie.

Tenderly1: if you love your healthy life,dnt eva use cabide.

My sentiments too, but strangely enough some unscrupulous farmers/market women use the same formular to forcefully ripen the fruits they sell to us here in Naija.

@OP/all, rather than use calbide wrap fresh chilli pepper with the plantain in a black nylon and keep in a dark place. 24hrs, 36 max you'll have your ready-to-it plantain!!!

1 Like

Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by PrettyCindy(f): 2:54pm On Jan 16, 2013
Abuja market women are 100% guilty of using cabide. I have eaten plantain ripened with cabide.
It doesnt taste well.
Rots easily.
The skin blackens and hardens easily while the skin becomes permanently glued to the plantian.

Like have been stated above, its better to wrap with a black nylon and keep in the cooler. Mind you, immatured plantain will not "force- ripen" easily. It will first mature before it ripens.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by tpia5: 12:57am On Aug 21, 2013
bump
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by mrseamy: 3:16pm On Aug 26, 2013
Put apple among them
Cover them tight
It works miracles
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by goldedprince: 2:59pm On Apr 18, 2017

hope this help
now thats how u get cancer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by bose2(f): 2:35am On May 06, 2017
Pls never use carbide. Get that greenish round thing called TAGIRI. After placing your plantain in a bag, cut d TAGIRI into pieces and put in d bag, by the next day it will be ripe. You can get it to buy from women who sell those elewe-omo herbals.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 06, 2017
This thread made me remember the wicked plantain I got some weeks back.

I don't know what they do plantain these days.
The plantain looked ripe from the outside but was unripe when I peeled it.

I left the remaining for 2 days to ripe.
Then, peeling off the skin was a struggle. it's supposed to be easy cos it's ripe, but it stuck to the plantain.

after I eventually fried it, it had no taste.

1 Like

Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by ferhyntorlah(f): 6:31pm On May 06, 2017
What an enlightenment.
I prefer unripe plantain to ripe plantain.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Nobody: 9:28pm On May 06, 2017
Forget about wat some peeps are saying here, just buy 5 polythene bags, put it inside one, then use the other remaining four and wrap it. Let the heat do d wonders.

1 Like

Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by delishpot: 8:45pm On May 07, 2017
Joavid:
This thread made me remember the wicked plantain I got some weeks back.

I don't know what they do plantain these days.
The plantain looked ripe from the outside but was unripe when I peeled it.

I left the remaining for 2 days to ripe.
Then, peeling off the skin was a struggle. it's supposed to be easy cos it's ripe, but it stuck to the plantain.

after I eventually fried it, it had no taste.

I believe people who use chemical to ripen plantain are evil. Why deceive people into buying stuff that isn't trully ripe? Plus who knows what health risks one is exposed to due to such demonic and greedy practice( Using carbide or some other chemical to ripen a fruits) Look at the increase in kidney failure we have in Nigeria. Our people don't care the price customers pay to , they only care about profit.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 08, 2017
There are two things involved.
If the plaintain is freshly harvested, DO NOT put in a sack, polyethylene bag or whatsoever, otherwise you will delay the ripening process.

Most fresh fruits need ethylene gas to ripe.

So this is it, get an already ripe plaintain or other climacteric fruits and place together in a polyethylene bag and keep in a dark place....it increase the ethylene production of the unripe plaintain hence ripening is faster.

In fact, let me make it simpler. Keep your plaintain in black poly bag and tie it such that air does not come in. And leave for 2-3 days.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by ephi123(f): 11:43am On May 13, 2017
DOnlooker:

Haha! Very funny response.

Meanwhile, I've tried all the recommendations here (except the carbide, me sef no wan join Mutallab cheesy) and none has worked.
Re: Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? by ephi123(f): 11:46am On May 13, 2017
delishpot:

I believe people who use chemical to ripen plantain are evil. Why deceive people into buying stuff that isn't trully ripe? Plus who knows what health risks one is exposed to due to such demonic and greedy practice( Using carbide or some other chemical to ripen a fruits) Look at the increase in kidney failure we have in Nigeria. Our people don't care the price customers pay to , they only care about profit.

So very true, you're right. It's one of the reasons so many strange sicknesses are common in Nigeria these days.

(1) (Reply)

Photos Of Porcupine, Monkey, Antelope, Deer & Crocodile Killed By My Brother / Made Cooks Food With The Rat He Caught (photos) / Which Food Should I Eat To Get A Little Bit Fat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.