Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,333 members, 7,811,973 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work (10506 Views)

Be Careful Where You Sit At Work / How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher / The Indispensable Role Of The Laboratory Scientist In The Health Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by assisttohire: 4:36pm On May 04, 2017
3 WAYS TO MAKE YOURSELF INDISPENSABLE AT WORK

Living without job security can be extremely stressful. This is a scary time in the job market. Even if you have a job you are happy with, some developments can make you wonder if your position is secure. What you need to do to secure your job is make yourself indispensable to your boss and co-workers. Here’s how to go about it:

Do Your Job and Do It Well

This goes without saying, fulfilling every last one of your job responsibilities with minimal lapse and far better than your predecessor will portray you as a hard worker, a tenacious worker. Doing every aspect of your job well is the path to not only proving to your superiors that they can’t function without you but also get more opportunities. What often sets the indispensable workers apart from the replaceable employees in the corporate world is a die-hard work ethic and commitment to productivity. If you are the best at what you do, you are likely to be the last one they think about when they need to cut down the number of employees.

Be Proactive

Proactive people don’t wait for a task to be handed down to them, they anticipate, plan ahead, and prepare. They perceive potential problems and proffer solutions before real problems arise.

If you’re one of the few who is constantly coming up with new ideas and is taking on new responsibilities that aren’t required of you, this will go a long way in making you indispensable.

Embrace New Opportunities

Successful people don’t shy from opportunities, they pursue them. So don’t be reluctant when your boss asks if can take on something new, whether that’s leading a new project you’ve never handled before or pitching a big idea in a meeting. The more he or she trusts you to execute projects well, the more valuable an employee you become. However, make sure this does not affect your specific job duties.

However, keep in mind that no one is truly indispensable. If you leave, as long as the organization is at least slightly functional, it will find a way to survive without you. The tips above, however, will give you a chance at being perceived as indispensable.

Assist to Hire is an employment social networking connecting suitable employees with the right employers.
If you are a candidate looking for work or an employer looking to hire?

Visit http://www.assisttohire.com/blog/ for more career news and articles

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by lovelove2323: 7:22am On May 05, 2017
Get dat nice one wink wink wink wink wink
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by drey22(m): 7:23am On May 05, 2017
stop helping others achieve their dream, quit that job and work for yourself

9 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Nobody: 7:24am On May 05, 2017
Nice tips , i earm passive income from http://www.gadgetsng.com when am less busy at work
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Chiefpriest1(m): 7:24am On May 05, 2017
Lol. In addition , if its a one-man business, make sure Oga's car is always clean.

Make sure you ask after his family, even if they are standing with him.

Always be the one to head the birthday planning committee of oga and his family.

Be sure to sacrifice your weekends because oga may need you anytime.

Finally, pretend, pretend, pretend. Many ogas hate the truth... grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Goddex: 7:25am On May 05, 2017
Well, your conclusion below captures what I wanted to say

"However, keep in mind that no one is truly indispensable. If you leave today, as long as the organization is at least slightly functional, it will find a way to survive without you."

##

3 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by otinilinda: 7:25am On May 05, 2017
I love this article, thanks.
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Joenyam(m): 7:26am On May 05, 2017
There is no such thing as being indispensable. If you're not the owner, you're an ''outsider''.
The Tom Peters' Seminar told the story about the layoff ''of an eighteen-year veteran purchasing staffer from a company. 'its a shame to lose all that experience,' one executive said to another. 'We didn't lose eighteen years' experience, replied the second. 'We lost one year's experience repeated seventeen times over.'

DO THIS
1. Pursue professional career with all determination, but be prepared to turn into an entrepreneur.
2. Within your career, leave time for entrepreneurial pursuits
3. Pursue new opportunities or areas that are outside the mainstream.

''One who has a skill in this dynamic world and keeps it up to date, has a place in this world''. - My qoute

7 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by GoldenJAT(m): 7:28am On May 05, 2017
drey22:
help urself with stones!!isnt money importabt wen it comes 2 startin up a bizness??na just 2 de shout owner sabi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by GoldenJAT(m): 7:29am On May 05, 2017
When bad belle pple 1 sack u....e no concern dem...cool points tho.
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Evathyst(f): 7:31am On May 05, 2017
**Yinmu**

In this part of the world where I'm typing from, all that the OP typed isn't applicable...

If you want to be indispensable at work, do the following;

1- Lick your boss' hairy ass
2- Always borrow him/her your salary
3- Be the one that supplies him/her information about what your colleagues are gossipping in the office.

Would have typed the 4th one but I don't know if my boyfriend is reading....

2 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by drey22(m): 7:34am On May 05, 2017
GoldenJAT:
help urself with stones!!isnt money importabt wen it comes 2 startin up a bizness??na just 2 de shout owner sabi.
All you need is you. Not money.. I started with a $ and turned it to millions is less Dan 6months.

Work smart, not necessarily hard

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by robosky02(m): 7:42am On May 05, 2017
ok you can add this other 7 points to make it 10. cheesy

7 Ways to Be Indispensable at Work

1. Constantly increase your Personal Return on Investment. Practice consistent (not continuous) improvement via continuing education, training, and learning more about all aspects of your job. As a rule of thumb, you should create at least three times more than your annual salary each year for your company. If you don’t produce income directly, find a way to increase your value or reduce your contribution to a dollar amount—even if you have to pay for your own self-improvement efforts.

2. See change as an opportunity. Despite the old saw, the Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is NOT a combination of the ideograms for “change” and “opportunity.” That said, keep your head when faced with challenges or non-emergency crises. You know you’re supposed to reframe challenges as opportunities, so grapple with a new change until you find a way to monetize it or otherwise profit from it. Get behind changes and be a cheerleader, showing you’re a problem solver and not a finger pointer.

3. Align your priorities with your organization’s priorities. The whole point of having a job, after all, is to take part in the team effort to reach specific objectives. Your superiors are much more likely to view you as indispensable when your efforts clearly push the team or company closer to its ultimate goals.

4. Participate in key projects. You may not always have the pull to get yourself assigned to high-visibility projects; but when you do—DO! Just make sure the project you work to join really is an important project, not just window dressing. Substance always serves you better than style, no matter what your role or rung on the ladder. Work with top stakeholders in such a way you become the yin to their yang, complimenting their skills and boosting the positive perception of both of you in the eyes of high-level decision makers. Don’t suck up, just show them all how good you really are by putting your head down and producing great work.

5. Get it done. Push yourself into maximum achievement mode. Early in my career as a board member for the National Speakers Association, I won two Presidential Service Awards two years in a row, and a few years later, became the president myself. Don’t kill yourself, but use the “work smarter and harder” approach to show your colleagues and leaders what you’re capable of doing—and that they can count on you to do the job on schedule and under budget. Go the extra mile. Be the doer to your manager’s talker, and you’ll never have to worry about job security.

6. Be the expert. At the end of an article I recently read, a commenter wrote, “Become the IT expert, so the execs doing the downsizing won’t have anyone to delete all those accounts if they downsize you.” Although meant tongue-in-cheek, it’s not far from the truth. If you’re the only one who really knows the program the company uses to track progress, you’re an expert in a specific coding language, or you’re the expert in a mission-critical process, then you’ve made yourself indispensable.

7. Be genuinely respectful to everyone. This tip may seem a little out of place, but let’s get real here: when you honestly respect a person, they tend to respect you back, especially if you’re an achiever. Mutual respect between team members is one of the components of the glue that keeps companies and teams together—and when it comes right down to it, decision-makers are less likely to downsize someone they respect and like.

4 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Webman007: 7:49am On May 05, 2017
Chiefpriest1:
Lol. In addition , if its a one-man business, make sure Oga's car is always clean.

Make sure you ask after his family, even if they are standing with him.

Always be the one to head the birthday planning committee of oga and his family.

Be sure to sacrifice your weekends because oga may need you anytime.

Finally, pretend, pretend, pretend. Many ogas hate the truth... grin

One man business... so bad you may never be right or wrong
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Thobiy(m): 7:57am On May 05, 2017
nice info
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by bigtt76(f): 8:02am On May 05, 2017
grin Hahahaha f@ck him right?

Evathyst:
**Yinmu**

In this part of the world where I'm typing from, all that the OP typed isn't applicable...

3- Be the one that supplies him/her information about what your colleagues are gossipping in the office.

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by robosky02(m): 8:02am On May 05, 2017
Evathyst:
**Yinmu**

see your life grin
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by robosky02(m): 8:03am On May 05, 2017
bigtt76:
grin Hahahaha f@ck him right?

no its left

seun must hear this angry
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Theoigios(m): 8:04am On May 05, 2017
drey22:

a typical nigerian spotted oh, all i hear from people like you is 'start you own business lectures', like thats how easy it actually is, and if everyone has their own enterprise who will work for who.

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by fedrick4god(m): 8:09am On May 05, 2017
While you are performing three duties at a time also get involve in marketing so as to achieve overall aim of the organization #Bejackofalltrade at the expense of your future prospect, if you die today it will not take them two days to replace you. Stupid post
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by adeoba2008(m): 8:18am On May 05, 2017
All said and done. Don't sacrifice your family on the altar of your job.
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by bigtt76(f): 8:34am On May 05, 2017
Buhahahahaha grin

robosky02:

no its left

seun must hear this angry
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by GeneralOjukwu: 8:42am On May 05, 2017
Evathyst:
**Yinmu**

I would enjoy being your boss....come into my office and bend over the table for Number 4 grin
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Miraculousamuel(m): 8:53am On May 05, 2017
gadgetsngs:
Nice tips , i earm passive income from http://www.gadgetsng.com when am less busy at work

how please?
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Nobody: 9:00am On May 05, 2017
contact for details
Miraculousamuel:

how please?
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Miraculousamuel(m): 9:17am On May 05, 2017
gadgetsngs:
contact for details

i couldnt get yor contact number, mine is 09038716121
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Nobody: 11:45am On May 05, 2017
assisttohire:
3 WAYS TO MAKE YOURSELF INDISPENSABLE AT WORK

Living without job security can be extremely stressful. This is a scary time in the job market. Even if you have a job you are happy with, some developments can make you wonder if your position is secure. What you need to do to secure your job is make yourself indispensable to your boss and co-workers. Here’s how to go about it:

Do Your Job and Do It Well

This goes without saying, fulfilling every last one of your job responsibilities with minimal lapse and far better than your predecessor will portray you as a hard worker, a tenacious worker. Doing every aspect of your job well is the path to not only proving to your superiors that they can’t function without you but also get more opportunities. What often sets the indispensable workers apart from the replaceable employees in the corporate world is a die-hard work ethic and commitment to productivity. If you are the best at what you do, you are likely to be the last one they think about when they need to cut down the number of employees.

Be Proactive

Proactive people don’t wait for a task to be handed down to them, they anticipate, plan ahead, and prepare. They perceive potential problems and proffer solutions before real problems arise.

If you’re one of the few who is constantly coming up with new ideas and is taking on new responsibilities that aren’t required of you, this will go a long way in making you indispensable.

Embrace New Opportunities

Successful people don’t shy from opportunities, they pursue them. So don’t be reluctant when your boss asks if can take on something new, whether that’s leading a new project you’ve never handled before or pitching a big idea in a meeting. The more he or she trusts you to execute projects well, the more valuable an employee you become. However, make sure this does not affect your specific job duties.

However, keep in mind that no one is truly indispensable. If you leave, as long as the organization is at least slightly functional, it will find a way to survive without you. The tips above, however, will give you a chance at being perceived as indispensable.

Assist to Hire is an employment social networking connecting suitable employees with the right employers.
If you are a candidate looking for work or an employer looking to hire?

Visit http://www.assisttohire.com/blog/ for more career news and articles

Valuable maybe, but indispensable? LMAO cheesy
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by drey22(m): 12:46pm On May 05, 2017
Theoigios:

a typical nigerian spotted oh, all i hear from people like you is 'start you own business lectures', like thats how easy it actually is, and if everyone has their own enterprise who will work for who.
its not easy but if you're determined you will make it. I'm a living testimony... In less Dan 6 months.. Employing people now across my businesses.
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Miraculousamuel(m): 11:19pm On May 05, 2017
genesis1101:
today's game finally drops, just as promised. over 200 odds on the cards today. call now to subscribe.

Really gonna work out?... Drop your phone number abeg
Re: 3 Ways To Make Yourself Indispensable At Work by Miraculousamuel(m): 11:23pm On May 05, 2017
drey22:
its not easy but if you're determined you will make it. I'm a living testimony... In less Dan 6 months.. Employing people now across my businesses.

Can you put me thru please?

How'd you go about it and what kinda business?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ican 2017 May Diet Result / Ericsson Moves To Sack Nigerian Employees, Hire Indians As Replacement / Top 10 Best Paying Organization In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.