Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,935 members, 7,835,118 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

When Marriage Takes You Unawares…are You Prepared? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / When Marriage Takes You Unawares…are You Prepared? (601 Views)

The Next Time He Takes You Out Dont Let Him Spend A Dime On You. / Fatima Ganduje And Idris Abolaji Ajimobi Marriage Takes Center Stage (photos) / When A Guy Takes You Out On An Expensive Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Marriage Takes You Unawares…are You Prepared? by Eyitayorsblog(m): 10:47am On May 06, 2017
When marriage takes you unawares, are you prepared? This is an excellent article for many who are longing to finally make the right choice when it comes to marriage.

For emphasis sake, ‘MARRIAGE’ is not ‘WEDDING’. Wedding and marriage are two different things. A wedding is a ceremony for the marriage, while marriage is the purpose for the wedding (Selah).
When Marriage Takes You Unawares

Let’s take a quick glimpse into the beautiful love story of Rebecca and Isaac in Genesis 24:1-67

Abraham was old and he told his oldest servant to get his son Isaac a wife. Actually, Abraham wanted him to take the wife from his kindred (Abraham’s kindred).

Of course, his servant obeyed and travelled to his master’s hometown. When he got there, his prayer was that any young woman who came to draw water as well as gave him and his camels would be the wife of Isaac, Rebecca became his answered prayer.

When Marriage Takes You Unawares

Sharp, the guy met with her people and did marriage proposal on behalf of Isaac. Rebecca too, without much delay agreed and followed the servant to her soon to be husband. Isaac loved Rebecca when he finally met her and the Bible recorded that He was comforted after his mother’s death and they lived happily ever after…smiles.

It was a sudden marriage, wasn’t it? The marriage took Rebecca unawares. Now, my question is this, what if Rebecca was not prepared for marriage? Have you ever thought about that? Take a look at the verse below.

Genesis 24:67 “Isaac brought Rebekah into his mother’s tent. Isaac married Rebekah. Rebekah became his wife. And Isaac loved Rebekah. So, Isaac was happy again, after the death of his mother”.

Do not forget that Isaac was the only son of Sarah which implies that he loved his mother so very too much. For him to be happy again after the death of his mother showed that Rebecca also became a mother for him. How could she have achieved that if not that she was prepared for marriage?

Sister, how about you? What if a sudden marriage comes up, can you handle it? Funny enough, there are numerous sisters having a couple of night vigils, earnestly seeking God’s face for marriage whereas, on the other hand, they are not near preparation. My dear, God is a just God. He will not allow his son to suffer in your hands.

Ermmmm, by the way, Marriage is not a car which you can purchase before learning how to drive it. It’s a different ball game entirely, you don’t wait to get into it before you prepare, you prepare ahead.

So how do you prepare? Quickly I will share these few points on preparation.

#1 SPIRITUALLY

Before marriage takes you unawares, your relationship with God must be intact. If you can’t pray or study your Bible for a quality time alone now that you are single, you can’t do that when you are married. Your relationship with God is very germane.

Pray Without Ceasing For A Fulfilling and A Successful Life

As a wife and a mother, you will need to be sensitive to the things around you. So if your relationship with God is not smoothened out now, how do you want to become a wife and a mother…Or do you think being a wife and a mother is a cheap role? Please wake up to the truth!

Also, some challenges may surface in marriage but your patience and faith in God will see you through. So tell me, how do you want to cope if your spirit man is still suffering from obesity? Daniel 11:32b “…but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits”.

You want to exploits in your marriage? KNOW GOD!

#2 EMOTIONALLY

Don’t be a crybaby, a mood swing fellow, and a hot-tempered woman. Don’t be that woman people flee from anytime you are angry. No man wants a woman who frowns always.

If it will take you to watch comedy every day just to laugh, please do. Although, that won’t last, let the word of God dwell in you richly so that you can overflow with joy. This is the real deal, Joy from within, Joy from your spirit man…Glory!

Before marriage takes you unawares, you must be a fighter; fight against depression with God’s word. Depression is a disease spreading fast these days, come off it! Learn to manage your emotions, don’t allow your emotions to manage you.

(I recommend MANAGING YOUR EMOTIONS by Joyce Meyer)

#3 CHARACTER WISE

A Yoruba adage says “Iwa lewa obinrin” which means “Character is the beauty of a woman”. That’s quite true. No matter how facially beautiful you look, if you have a bad character, your beauty will not be recognized.

I would like to single out ‘abusive words’. You want to get married and you still own a Master’s degree in abusive words, then, you are not ready.

How do you intend being a mother when all you know how to do is to reign abusive words on your children? Don’t you know words are powerful?

Some mothers complain their child is not brilliant…Of course, when you keep calling your child coconut head. How will you use the same mouth you use to worship God to reign curses on others? Please, let your words be pleasant.

Proverbs 16:24 “Pleasant words are like the honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones”

When marriage takes you unawares, Bless your home, your husband and your children with your words. Well, as for me I choose to be a blessing, you should choose to do the same.

#4 BE VAST

Before marriage takes you unawares, you must be knowledgeable.

Know what’s happening around you and know what is happening in the world. Also, be interested in the world of sports (you may end up getting married to someone who loves sport).

Don’t be a novice.

I bet some ladies don’t even know the likes of Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt, Serena Williams etc.

Before marriage takes you unawares, know business deals.

Know how to operate some electrical appliances. Expose yourself to many vital things now that you are single so that when you get married, you won’t depend on your husband for things like operating the television with remote control and so that you won’t keep chasing visitors away from your home due to your constant behavior of putting them in darkness anytime they come visiting since you can’t put on the generator just because your husband is not around.

The proverbs 31 woman is vast…Check this out…

Proverbs 31:16 “She considers a field and buys it: with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard”.

How did she buy a field if not that she heard about it somewhere?

Before marriage takes you unawares, be a rounded woman.

When your husband talks politics, tell him the latest about Donald Trump, when he talks football tell him English premiership top scorer, when he talks business tell him the richest businessmen, when he talks Bible, pour everything down.

#5 BE SKILLFUL

Before marriage takes you unawares, learn various skills.

Not necessarily for business, but for your home. There are several things to learn these days. Don’t be left out.

That proverbs 31 woman is a fashion designer, a cook, a business woman and a farmer.

Be fully prepared, who knows, your own Isaac too may show up at an unexpected time.

BE TRIUMPHANT!

Please Share, God bless you!

Written by: Rebecca Agragu, Rebecca Agbragu is a woman so passionate about the things of God. She is also a relationship coach and a convener of the Triumphant Woman.

Source: https://seguneyitayorsblog.com/love-and-relationship/when-marriage-takes-you-unawares-are-you-prepared.html

1 Like

Re: When Marriage Takes You Unawares…are You Prepared? by Heavance(m): 11:01am On May 06, 2017
What about the advice for men to be prepared?
Many are hot tempered these days, drink irresponsibly, procrastinate on what they should have done long ago, reign abusive words to ladies thereby making them feel inferior at the slightest thing, some don't know how to spend quality time with their family, a lot.
Let's balance this, the write up is very good for women though.
Mostly cooking, it baffles me to hear a married woman can't cook the traditional delicacy she knows her husband likes, some can't even cook, and I wonder what they learnt during those long holidays in high school & college days.
Re: When Marriage Takes You Unawares…are You Prepared? by Eyitayorsblog(m): 11:06am On May 06, 2017
You are right, will be posting the men's version anytime soon, Thanks for the inspiring positive comment
Re: When Marriage Takes You Unawares…are You Prepared? by Eyitayorsblog(m): 11:07am On May 06, 2017
Heavance:
What about the advice for men to be prepared?
Many are hot tempered these days, drink irresponsibly, procrastinate on what they should have done long ago, reign abusive words to ladies thereby making them feel inferior at the slightest thing, some don't know how to spend quality time with their family, a lot.
Let's balance this, the write up is very good for women though.
Mostly cooking, it baffles me to hear a married woman can't cook the traditional delicacy she knows her husband likes, some can't even cook, and I wonder what they learnt during those long holidays in high school & college days.

You are right, will be posting the men's version anytime soon, Thanks for the inspiring positive comment
Re: When Marriage Takes You Unawares…are You Prepared? by Blessedgurl(f): 12:56pm On May 06, 2017
Very nice write up.
Re: When Marriage Takes You Unawares…are You Prepared? by cerowo(f): 1:12pm On May 06, 2017
Nice writeup learnt sumtin frm it
Re: When Marriage Takes You Unawares…are You Prepared? by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 06, 2017
True words

(1) (Reply)

How Could My Virgin Girlfriend Do This To Me? / Check Out These Best S3x Positions In The Wor!d Today & Choose Your Favorite / How Expectations And Standards Affect Your Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.