Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,832 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? (1780 Views)

"Will Osinbajo Join?" - FFK Reacts To The RCCG Protest / What Will Happen If Mr. President Resigns Today? / Nigeria May Not Get Any Better Even If Buhari Resigns Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by mdokaba1(m): 9:49pm On May 06, 2017
I was in my room eve dropping at my neighbours arguing about the issue,

while one said osinbajo would have to step down with him in such instance because he (osinbajo) came under buhari's auspices, so he would have to step aside with PMB and a new election conducted but that it is only in the event of PMB's death (God forbid) that the mantle would be transfered to Osinbajo as was the case of GEJ during Yaradua's demise.

But the other insisted that Osinbajo would continue from where PMB stopped he said it is clearly spelt out in the constitution even when he did not quote the section. But the other guy seemed to agree with him because he did not push further with the argument.

And as a "somebory" who my neighbours consider as current (cut-c of nairaland) and lettered It kept me confused, because I knew if the argument gets hot, they would come to me for clarification and there I was not sure of what my response would be.

But as a sharp man weh get sabi men (nairalanders), I say make I come steal answer just incase....

I am not a legal savvy. Please lawyers in the house help me and my confused neighbours.
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by Nicho118(m): 9:51pm On May 06, 2017
For sure na

1 Like

Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by mdokaba1(m): 9:57pm On May 06, 2017
Nicho118:
For sure na

Will he resign or not?
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by ojun50(m): 10:00pm On May 06, 2017
Only if he osinbajo deside to step down bt d constitution said if he d presdo die or resign the vice should take over.

Let check section 133 to 137 of the constitution... Doh nt Sure yet
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by Nicho118(m): 10:01pm On May 06, 2017
mdokaba1:

Will he resign or not?
He'll
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by mdokaba1(m): 10:02pm On May 06, 2017
ojun50:
Only if he osinbajo deside to step down bt d constitution said if he d presdo die or resign the vice should take over.

Noted. More contributors.
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by Nicho118(m): 10:03pm On May 06, 2017
ojun50:
didn't know about the resign part before o
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by slimfit1(m): 10:07pm On May 06, 2017
It is not done anywhere there can't be vacancies in power otherwise anyone can declare himself the president that only works for a prime minister's. There should and never be a vacuum in power.

Let them go and smuggle the law into our constitution we are watching we will smuggle our land out of Nigeria.

Hausa people can have the Nigeria they want where they can be in power for life.
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by Davash222(m): 10:09pm On May 06, 2017
Let him resign first..
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by Aonkuuse(m): 10:17pm On May 06, 2017
slimfit1:
It is not done anywhere there can't be vacancies in power otherwise anyone can declare himself the president that only works for a prime minister's. There should and never be a vacuum in power. Let them go and smuggle the law into our constitution we are watch we will smuggle our land out of Nigeria Hausa people can have the Nigeria they want where they can be in power for life.
EVERYTHING A SENSELESS IDIOT WILL COME AND MAKE SENSELESS COMMENTS, IS Osinbajo A HAUSA MAN? SINCE 1999 HOW MANY HAUSAS HAVE RULED NIGERIA?
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by martinlooter(m): 10:24pm On May 06, 2017
The 1999 constitution as amended provides in

Section 145. Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President.

146. (1) The Vice-President shall hold the office of President if the office of President becomes vacant by reason of death or resignation, impeachment, permanent incapacity or the removal of the President from office for any other reason in accordance with section 143 of this Constitution.

Thus, the Vice President cannot resign along with him, cos the purpose of having a Vice President in the first place is to provide a replacement where the President is incapacitated by whatever means or dead. Thus, I hope you're clear.

Contact me if you need any further legal advice
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by mdokaba1(m): 10:26pm On May 06, 2017
martinlooter:
The 1999 constitution as amended provides in

Section 145. Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President.

146. (1) The Vice-President shall hold the office of President if the office of President becomes vacant by reason of death or resignation, impeachment, permanent incapacity or the removal of the President from office for any other reason in accordance with section 143 of this Constitution.

Thus, the Vice President cannot resign along with him, cos the purpose of having a Vice President in the first place is to provide a replacement where the President is incapacitated by whatever means or dead. Thus, I hope you're clear.

Contact me if you need any further legal advice

Still arguable, but I must say its getting clearer tho.
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by slimfit1(m): 11:02pm On May 06, 2017
Aonkuuse:
EVERYTHING A SENSELESS IDIOT WILL COME AND MAKE SENSELESS COMMENTS, IS Osinbajo A HAUSA MAN? SINCE 1999 HOW MANY HAUSAS HAVE RULED NIGERIA?

Look at where we are since independence to be honest I'll love to be in Nigeria but a situation where things are done the wrong way and a particular area think it's normal to get things government wrong and want everyone to fall with them is not going to carry on.

I'm waiting to find out what the North has contributed to the development of this Nigeria for the past years.

You don't contribute anything but destruction. Leave Osinbajo let him finish by then find a replacement. What happened in Kogi is not going to happen in this case and it is not going to continue like that.

How I wish the North can take development and creativity serious the way they take come to power serious.
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by babyfaceafrica: 11:16pm On May 06, 2017
mdokaba1:

Still arguable, but I must say its getting clearer tho.
how is this arguable?
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by SweetJoystick(m): 11:19pm On May 06, 2017
Which kind yeye argument your neighbours dey argue. There can't be vacuum in power. If both resign, who go come be president? Is the scenario not stupid enough already? When INEC wan take conduct elections, you know how long it takes them to prepare for elections? angry
Re: If Buhari Resigns Today, Will Osinbajo Also Step Down With Him? by OreMI22: 11:26pm On May 06, 2017
Why should Osinbajo step down because of Buhari?

(1) (Reply)

TonyeBarcanista In 2015: "God Bless Biafra! As Ijaw Man, It's A Patriotic Dream" / Trending Video: UNCOMMON SELFLESSNESS -mr Bassey A.k.a Iron Bar / Watch: Obasanjo 2015 declaration for Buhari's election and 2019 letter to Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.